chicken poop - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Farming, Gardening & Homesteading Country lifestyle, homesteading, blacksmithing and living off the grid.

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What uses does dog poop have? TheLoneSurvivalist Farming, Gardening & Homesteading 25 11-05-2014 04:13 AM
I.D. the poop last1standing General Discussion 20 10-06-2013 10:34 AM
Asian fish fed chicken poop story Sailorsam Farming, Gardening & Homesteading 14 04-26-2013 03:08 PM
Chicken Coop addition and chicken updates! Festes Farming, Gardening & Homesteading 9 03-06-2012 05:46 PM
POOP!!! no seriously. East in the West Urban Survival 30 02-24-2012 11:25 PM
How to Poop in the Woods ... vja4Him Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum 28 12-03-2010 12:54 AM
Dog poop in the garden SeventhSon Farming, Gardening & Homesteading 13 11-04-2008 01:13 AM
I wonder about debt after poop htf... Altarboy Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 14 07-04-2008 01:58 AM

Old 01-10-2013, 03:13 PM

Default chicken poop

Advertise Here

i have a brooder box that i have kept in my chicken coop after i have released the birds when they feathered out. well the chickens like to stand on it and needless to say they like to poop in it. well there is about roughly 3" of chicken poop in this box now. what i plan to do is shovel it into my wheel barrow and dump it in my raised garden bed to till into my soil for planting season. i have been told to never put fresh chicken poop in your garden because it is too hot and will burn the plants, but what i am planning on doing should be fine, right? i plan on tilling it into the soil soon, but wont be planting until the end of feb, maybe beginning of march.
Quick reply to this message
Old 01-10-2013, 03:47 PM
This is a great survival forum

Thanked 30,182 Times in 9,940 Posts

That'll be fine. I would till in some hay/grass clippings/leaves too. Just remember that chicken poo will raise the acidity (Ph) of the soil. To remedy that, water and turn the soil often which you should be doing anyway with a compost pile which is what this will be until ready. Throw your table scraps in there too... just not fatty meat.
Old 01-10-2013, 04:13 PM
Survivor

Thanked 3,588 Times in 1,443 Posts

Depends on how big your raised beds are. Too much poop will make it too acidic and raise the nitrogen level too high. A good ratio is no more than 1/10 the volume of your soil.
The Following User Says Thank You to Mortimer For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-10-2013, 04:33 PM
Prepared

If you have a fireplace/woodstove, you can mix the ash to the chicken stuff to reduce the acidity...
Old 01-10-2013, 04:38 PM
Firefighter128

Post deleted, just googled it.
Old 01-10-2013, 05:54 PM
Survivor

Thanked 10,897 Times in 3,813 Posts

After the harvest is over in the fall would be better timing to till in the chicken bedding. If you're cleaning the coop near planting or during the growing season, send it to the compost pile. When the harvest is over, haul it to the garden and till it all in, and start a new compost pile.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dragonid For This Useful Post:
Old 01-11-2013, 02:16 AM
Hiker

Thanked 1,330 Times in 414 Posts

You might want to check what's in the feed for your chickens before placing their manure in your garden. That is assuming you purchase feed for them. I'm not sure what feed is tainted, but apparently the issue is common enough to be wary.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/04/05/op...cken.html?_r=0
Old 01-11-2013, 02:18 AM
Hunter

Thanked 1,501 Times in 719 Posts

It may depend on your location , if it will be frozen the rest of the winter that then will be a problem
Old 01-11-2013, 02:42 AM
Always Loaded

Thanked 2,861 Times in 972 Posts

+1 on being carefull with chicken doody. Very "Hot" stuff. Fried a row of blueberry bushes in dads garden when I was young.
The Following User Says Thank You to hanzy4200 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-11-2013, 09:01 AM
Homesteader

Thanked 5,919 Times in 2,650 Posts

Since there are lots of poultry houses in my area, I use lots of chicken manure. This stuff is so effective I call it magic dust. If my spreader leaks a little manure as I cross a field, you can see the streaks of green a few weeks later. You do have to be just a little careful of putting it directly on plants but mixed into a good amount of soil, you will have no problem. One thing it does do is make the weeds grow profusely as well as the good stuff so be prepared to pull weeds or else mulch.

I don't know where some people get their information but Chicken manure is NOT acidic. Just the opposite, very alkaline. Doesn't work well for acid loving plants like blueberries. Same with wood ash. I use it to raise the ph of my (mostly) acidic soil.
Old 01-11-2013, 03:17 PM

u say it will make the weeds grow like crazy too, what if i cover the planting bed with some black 6 mil poly sheeting after i till in the poop. then cut out small slits to plant my plants. i have seen that done in the self contained boxes, but dont see why it wouldnt work for a reg. raised bed
Old 01-11-2013, 04:38 PM
Homesteader

Thanked 5,919 Times in 2,650 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan82 View Post
u say it will make the weeds grow like crazy too, what if i cover the planting bed with some black 6 mil poly sheeting after i till in the poop. then cut out small slits to plant my plants. i have seen that done in the self contained boxes, but dont see why it wouldnt work for a reg. raised bed
I don't know why that wouldn't work. I always mulch heavily between my rows with vegetable matter to keep weeds down. Serves multi purposes. Keeps weeds controlled, holds moisture and when it breaks down it enriches the soil.

I had an aunt who used newspapers between the rows and that seemed to work well, although I always thought it looked kind of shabby.

The black plastic will absorb heat so that may be a good thing or bad depending on your climate. Also of course the water will run off of it, which is a major reason I like vegetation and then the vegetation gets absorbed into the soil and the plastic does not. Mulching is just so easy and effective for me that I haven't found it necessary to try much else.

Now one thing I may not have made clear. Chicken manure is a potent manure and you don't just want to toss it around your plants (others mentioned this) but if you till it into your soil like you mentioned, it should work well for you. It is rich in nitrogen so more suitable for some plants than others. If you look at the chemical breakdown of typical chic manure it is a very well balanced and rich fertilizer.
Old 01-11-2013, 06:55 PM
Hunter

Thanked 1,501 Times in 719 Posts

would it be possible to make a dilluted tea out of fresh chicken manure ? ? ?
Old 01-11-2013, 08:50 PM
Survivor

Thanked 10,897 Times in 3,813 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIBERTYCHICKEN View Post
would it be possible to make a dilluted tea out of fresh chicken manure ? ? ?
It's water soluble, yes.
The Following User Says Thank You to Dragonid For This Useful Post:
Old 01-12-2013, 06:29 AM
Be Prepared

Thanked 1,417 Times in 574 Posts
Default Chicken manure isn't acidic.

The pH (acidity or alkalinity) of poultry manure varies according to its age, the diet fed to the birds, the age of the birds and the litter materials used. Most poultry manure is in the range of pH 6.5-8.0, being neutral to moderately alkaline. Because of its tendency towards alkalinity, poultry manure is unsuitable for lime-hating (ericaceous) plants, such as rhododendrons, azaleas, camellias, blueberries and heathers.
Old 01-29-2013, 10:38 PM

I have been wondering if my chicken "by product" would be good for the garden, and now armed with the "Hot" manure information hopefully my garden produces better then last. First year garden but still got some good returns.
Old 01-30-2013, 04:02 AM

What others have said, the poo can surprisingly alkaline due to the calcium in their diet.

I personally wouldn't add it to my beds, but compost it with other materials and then add the completed compost to the beds when its ready. But im sure it would be ok as long as you don't add too much.

Cheers.
Old 01-30-2013, 02:55 PM
Hunter

Thanked 2,222 Times in 694 Posts

I have double dug row and just munched over the top with my chicken bedding. Either way works like magic for growing huge vegetables and starting trees.
The Following User Says Thank You to da_wanderer For This Useful Post: