Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Composit roofing and rainwater collection Binderman Food and water 15 01-10-2015 04:56 PM
Another IBC Tote Rainwater Collection System CoolPrepper DIY - Do It Yourself 3 10-26-2014 10:21 PM
Remote Rainwater Collection on the Cheap torchrider Farming, Gardening & Homesteading 27 04-13-2014 09:54 AM
rainwater collection question/advice wanted glockrocks Urban Survival 7 01-30-2014 07:46 PM
Rainwater Collection System tech141 DIY - Do It Yourself 20 11-13-2012 06:45 AM
30 Days in Jail for Rainwater collection The_Exorcist Political News and Discussion 31 07-28-2012 09:32 PM
Interesting note on rainwater collection capacities timtebow970 Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 38 09-05-2011 05:26 AM
Rainwater collection size help. Asymetric Farming, Gardening & Homesteading 7 09-03-2010 06:44 PM
Rainwater Collection PreppingMama Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 21 04-20-2010 03:36 AM
Rainwater collection project Varmit Urban Survival 14 12-28-2008 07:52 PM

Old 11-19-2011, 11:26 AM
Nadafinga!!

Thanked 4,785 Times in 1,668 Posts
Default Rainwater collection - quick queston.

Advertise Here

So, I am going to make a rainwater collection system (fancy term for some kind of barrels at my downspouts).

Anyway, I was wondering what do you do to keep them from becoming a mosquito breeding ground? I live in SE Texas where the mosquito is the state bird.
Quick reply to this message
Old 11-19-2011, 01:24 PM
Dork Sided

Thanked 19,575 Times in 6,632 Posts

on mine i plan to have two or more underground totally sealed cisterns or holding tanks and circulate the water between them to keep it from growing stagnant. I want to stay clear of chemicles as much as possible.

Mike reynolds wrote a book called "water from the sky" on this subject.
Old 11-19-2011, 01:49 PM
Target Shooter

We try to keep ours covered in. The downspouts go tight into a hole on the lids but we still get mossies in them. This year we had very noisy bright green tree frogs about and they managed to spawn in the top water tank. We had a dilema, try and get the spawn and frogs out and into the pond near the river or keep the tadpoles as they eat the mossie nymphs.

We decided on the latter and even provided them with a plank of wood to get out when they became froglets. No big mossie problem at all.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-19-2011, 01:50 PM
Hunter

I keep mine closed and don't have a problem with mosquitoes.
Old 11-19-2011, 02:38 PM
Crusty, Crunchy and Cute

Thanked 5,486 Times in 1,887 Posts

Either a light layer of food grade oil on the surface or drop in a few minnows and let them take care of the problem. I use mine for garden watering and a filter keeps the minnows where they belong.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Old Grump For This Useful Post:
Old 11-19-2011, 03:24 PM
Trapper

Thanked 1,364 Times in 581 Posts

I don't collect water, yet. But, have been toying with the idea of a temporary tank on top of a sand/charcoal/sand filtration system, on top of my actual collection tank.

Maybe the filtration system will keep the pests at bay.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to alisium For This Useful Post:
Old 11-19-2011, 03:28 PM
Neo Confederate

Thanked 2,017 Times in 1,016 Posts

I like old Grumb's solution.

I would filter or at least boil the water before drinking.

Maybe just treat with calcium hypocrite depending.
Old 11-19-2011, 04:00 PM
Nadafinga!!

Thanked 4,785 Times in 1,668 Posts

Well, I plan on using mine to water the plants and garden. Also, Mrs Finch isn't going to let me build anything industrial-looking. So I plan on using plastic rain barrels with an enclosure built around them. My mother told me a tea spoon of coal oil (kerosene) will take care of the mosquitos and not harm the plants, but I am skeptical.

I just don't want to breed a bunch of mosquitos.
Old 11-19-2011, 05:30 PM
Hunter

Maybe filter enough to keep out the big chunks and a tad of chlorine to try to stabilize it from turning to a green cesspool. Just to flush toilets or water the garden, who cares if it has a little blue/green slime in it?

I wouldn't waste too much on filtering or sanitizing the entire store of rainwater until you are ready to drink, cook or wash dishes with it.
Old 11-19-2011, 05:42 PM
Crusty, Crunchy and Cute

Thanked 5,486 Times in 1,887 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtticusFinch View Post
Well, I plan on using mine to water the plants and garden. Also, Mrs Finch isn't going to let me build anything industrial-looking. So I plan on using plastic rain barrels with an enclosure built around them. My mother told me a tea spoon of coal oil (kerosene) will take care of the mosquitos and not harm the plants, but I am skeptical.

The kerosene is a hydro carbon and would dissipate naturally in the soil and exposed to sunlight. The tiny amount you are talking about wont hurt the garden and with a bottom draw off from the barrel little or none would get into the irrigation water anyway unless you drained it dry.

We did that on the farm too. The tank in the spring house was constantly fed water from a spring and kept the cans of milk cool till the milk truck came to pick them up. We had dragon fly larva and minnows swimming in that tank and it was still the best drinking water on the farm. If it was good enough for the critters it was good enough for us.

The only place we had a mosquito problem was in dead water areas like some of our junk laying around and in the marsh areas near the creek. The creek itself and the trout pond pretty much cleaned themselves.
Old 11-19-2011, 06:25 PM
Survivor

Thanked 17,973 Times in 7,987 Posts

I grew up in West Texas. If there was ground water, and it had algae and critters in it, it was generally safe. If it was crystal clear, it was usually saline or alkali, or it had arsenic in it and was not particularly a healthy thing to drink.... Those of you who grew up in country where there was really water running in the streams were envied a lot in those days of my youth....
Old 11-19-2011, 07:05 PM
Target Shooter

Quote:

I ran across this "how to" where the woman camouflages her rain barrel by decorating it.

Instead of "debating" with Mrs. Finch...Maybe put her in charge of the decoration project?

Check this out for ideas:

http://blog.michellekaufmann.com/wp-...-diy-guide.pdf
The Following User Says Thank You to Special K For This Useful Post:
Old 11-19-2011, 07:18 PM
Silver Wings

Thanked 25,163 Times in 8,104 Posts

LDS Prepper did a youtube series on this. It's worth a look. There are six or seven video's.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to txflyer For This Useful Post:
Old 11-19-2011, 07:29 PM
retired ninja

I used to work around off the road tires. Huge ones. You can get donuts that kill mosquito larvae and still is safe to drink. We had to kill skeeters and be green. This is what we used.
The Following User Says Thank You to erm70 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-19-2011, 07:48 PM
Getting There!

Thanked 17,629 Times in 6,837 Posts

Quote:

So, I am going to make a rainwater collection system (fancy term for some kind of barrels at my downspouts).

Anyway, I was wondering what do you do to keep them from becoming a mosquito breeding ground? I live in SE Texas where the mosquito is the state bird.
The Calcium Hypochlorite is the easiest method.

1/2 teaspoon CH in a gallon of water. That gallon will treat two 50 gallon barrels. If you seal the barrels it should stay good for a long time.

This is an interesting slow sand filter that creates a "bio-film" that will keep the water filtered and drinkable:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BaCO...eature=related
The Following User Says Thank You to REM For This Useful Post:
Old 11-19-2011, 08:05 PM
Hunter

Thanked 1,354 Times in 697 Posts

I built a storage bladder out of 60 mil PVC plastic left over from a mining project.

Used MEA as a primer and standard PVC cement to glue the plastic into a tube and then sealed the ends.
You will need to over lap at least 6 inches and use a hard rubber roller the roll out the seams after you glue them

I just dug a pit to place the bladder in so that the sides were supported.

Being black plastic there was no light getting to the water so no algae could grow.

I even built a smaller one that fit the bed of my pickup to haul water in.
Old 11-19-2011, 08:37 PM

In Australia almost all rural properties are off the water grid. We rely on rainwater, dam or bore water. Rainwater tanks are very popular here. This is 1 of 7 rainwater tanks we have:

We just drink straight from the tank, just a filter for large chunks of debris but no special filter. There is no algae or mosquito problem because the tank is sealed from sunlight. I don't know how long you can keep the water in there but this tank was installed by the previous owner 12 years ago, I've been drinking from it for 2 years, so far no problem.

Though not popular, you can still find them in the US, just have to google

http://www.rainwatercollection.com/

http://texasrainwatertanks.com

If you are afraid people can see it, there's a bladder tank option that you can hide in the basement

Or you can build a concrete rainwater tank and make it look like part of the house

Just a few ideas.
Old 11-20-2011, 01:12 AM
Survivor

Thanked 4,717 Times in 2,155 Posts

My tank is going under ground no light so no moss, and is sealed with the exception of the eves themselves which is protected by a gutter guard. The gutter guard is actually mesh that is to small for bugs to get into.

Of course then it goes down to a roof washer, then underground.
Old 11-20-2011, 10:10 AM
Totally off grid

Thanked 6,601 Times in 1,845 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Thread 
Total Awards: 1

Before you go doing anything, order these books. They will teach you everything you need to know.

1. Rainwater Harvesting for Drylands Vol. 1 by Brad Lancaster

2. Rainwater Harvesting for Drylands and Beyond Vol. 2 by Brad Lancaster

3. Water Storage: Tanks, Cisterns, Aquifers, and Ponds for Domestic Supply, Fire and Emergency use. by Art Ludwig
The Following User Says Thank You to Fepony For This Useful Post:
Old 11-20-2011, 01:57 PM
Hunter

I was talking to someone on another forum about rainwater collection. I think he was in the northwest somewhere, Oregon or Washington maybe, but don't quote me...

As bizarre as it might sound he said that rainwater that falls on his property belongs to the state. (If I remember right he can only collect 650 gallons.) I can collect that off my roof with just nice afternoon rain. (Too bad we haven't had much chances of rain this year.)