Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
"MSNBC".. President Phil Griffin Wants ‘Investigation’ Into Fox News’ Great Ratings" Athanasius General Discussion 13 10-18-2013 01:44 AM
What emergency "salvage/repair" services were needed immediatly after Sandy & Katrina tankman1989 General Discussion 13 03-24-2013 08:55 PM
DIY "survival bracelet" with fishing gear beneby DIY - Do It Yourself 1 02-07-2013 07:36 PM
Obama "may" ban public fishing by executive order INCH PACKER Boating and Fishing 14 05-03-2012 01:42 AM
Fishing Report: "The Powder Cache" blackwolf911 Boating and Fishing 0 04-18-2011 02:14 PM
Movie: "The Great Escape" Lots of great ideas if you are ever a captured POW survive Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 8 03-02-2011 02:01 PM
Cased firearms have "maxed out" - A paradigm shift in small arms is needed Proyas Firearms General Discussion 35 10-18-2010 10:15 PM
Building a .223 bolt action "compact" rifle, input needed Jida Rifle Forum 28 08-14-2010 01:49 AM
Question: Any good "How-to" fishing websites recommendations? Zeli Boating and Fishing 14 07-20-2010 03:48 PM

Old 05-25-2013, 11:41 AM
Survivor

Thanked 7,425 Times in 2,892 Posts

Advertise Here

Michigan became a fishing hotspot because of a little baitfish that was choking out the lake and washing up by millions on the shores, dead each year, a little fish called the alewife. As pollution went up the alewife population exploded.

After research they started plating salmon to control the alewife. Because of the warmer temps, Michigan isn't that cold really, the salmon thrived. Ironic part of this is, that as the lake gets cleaner over the last 30 years from the damage done in the 50's and 60's the alewife population is decreasing, causing the salmon population to drop.
Quick reply to this message
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to swen_out_west For This Useful Post:
Old 05-25-2013, 11:47 AM
life member

Thanked 2,135 Times in 715 Posts

a big problem is the zebra mussels,they are cleaning everything.
the water is so clear you can see bottom at 20ft.
they clog the intake pipes at the water treatment plants and the intake pipes for the power plants cooling
plus they eat all the plankton that lower forms of life need to support higher forms like bait fish
The Following User Says Thank You to last1standing For This Useful Post:
Old 05-25-2013, 11:51 AM
FBHO

Thanked 2,128 Times in 737 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by swen_in_ca View Post
Michigan became a fishing hotspot because of a little baitfish that was choking out the lake and washing up by millions on the shores, dead each year, a little fish called the alewife. As pollution went up the alewife population exploded.

After research they started plating salmon to control the alewife. Because of the warmer temps, Michigan isn't that cold really, the salmon thrived. Ironic part of this is, that as the lake gets cleaner over the last 30 years from the damage done in the 50's and 60's the alewife population is decreasing, causing the salmon population to drop.
The alewife are a strange thing. There are years I get thousands on the beach, we rake them up and bury them just to get rid of the stink and flys.

There are years we see about none.

I'm not sure what causes the cycle to be what it is, but it's weird.
Old 05-25-2013, 11:52 AM
Survivor

Once again a double edged sword. The zebra mussel clean the water causing problems. The last I heard in the early 90's was that Michigan's heyday of the late 70's and 80's is a thing of the past because it's no longer polluted as bad.

It's confusing, lol.

Thank god for superior being so cold that some of these invasive species are only inflicting the warmer bays.

Love this chat, miss the old times, but have a tensioner pulley to fix on my daughters F150. Will definitely check in throughout the day.
Old 05-25-2013, 11:55 AM
life member

Thanked 2,135 Times in 715 Posts

now if the smelt would come back...mmmmm
Old 05-25-2013, 12:14 PM
Survivor

That's the one thing I need to replace when I get home. Apparently my old man sold my 100 ft smelting net at the same yard sale he sold my 5 dozen decoys, He better not have sold all my bows, lol, my daughter needs a 50lb compound for hunting. I guess that's what you get when you leave for 20 years, lol.

Definitely miss the spring smelt fries.
Old 07-12-2013, 07:46 PM
human

Thanked 4,355 Times in 2,090 Posts

Took a short ride along the lake (west side) and it "stunk, like old times"
perhaps the zebra mussels didn't completely clean up the lake!

The water is lower than I've have ever seen it (+55 years) and it's as clear as I've ever seen it.
Old 07-12-2013, 11:50 PM
If I kill I eat it

Salmon season for me starts sept 15 on the annapee just 3 miles west of algoma.Caught a 30lbs salmon and a 26 lbs brown trout there on hiway a.Good burgers at joe rouers.
Old 07-13-2013, 12:03 AM
Prepared

When TSHTF I intend to fish by any and all means: Trot line, gill net, fish trap, and rod 'n reel.
Old 08-26-2013, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swen_in_ca View Post
That's the one thing I need to replace when I get home. Apparently my old man sold my 100 ft smelting net at the same yard sale he sold my 5 dozen decoys, He better not have sold all my bows, lol, my daughter needs a 50lb compound for hunting. I guess that's what you get when you leave for 20 years, lol.

Definitely miss the spring smelt fries.
Your lucky to get a gallon of smelt now.
The Following User Says Thank You to Steelhead For This Useful Post:
Old 08-27-2013, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kev1n69 View Post
up north here on superior the indian tribes use gill nets and do quite well. love the white fish
Here is some more on netting.
http://www.dailypress.net/page/conte...id/517387.html
Old 08-27-2013, 10:29 AM

Just remembered that there is a limit on smelt now, 2 gallons.
http://www.eregulations.com/michigan...g-regulations/

I remember seeing people fill up pickup truck beds in the 70's.
The Following User Says Thank You to Steelhead For This Useful Post:
Old 05-10-2014, 10:49 AM
Survivor

Thanked 4,454 Times in 1,765 Posts

I was born and raised in Michigan. Lived in Montague until my 40's NOW LIVE INLAND. I can remember the times before Salmon when the beaches were piled with dead and rotting Alewife. The Salmon were stocked to eat them and they did, so did the Browns, the Steelhead, Lake trout, Walleye and Pike/Musky. Even the Lake Michigan Perch eat small alewives. Everything out there eats them and that is why the Alewife numbers are down.

It is not true that Salmon don't reproduce here. Many smaller rivers have sustaining small populations. THEY DONT DO REAL WELL BUT THEY DO HATCH A FEW. We catch young Salmon fingerlings in some of the Brook trout streams around here in the spring along with young steelhead. Not many but we get a few now and then.

I surf and pier fished lake Michigan until 1996 when I got my first boat. I used to snag salmon in the rivers but they tasted like crap so I stopped. They are much better from the lake when they are firm and orange fleshed. Snagging now Illegal on most all rivers here. Im not sure but they may still have a Lottery snagging season in Ludington.

Michigan has over stocked some species and under stocked others. Perch are in decline due to Gobies and Walleye are slaughtered by the millions in the greatest put and take fishery in the world. The state stocks them by the millions and the people eat them. Pike fishing is great here on several local lakes in my area. many lakes have a 5 fish limit with no size restrictions due to over populations. My wife and I got 10 Thursday in two hours casting 5 inch crane baits over shallow weeds. Average size was 21 inches. Legal size on most Michigan lakes is 24 with a two fish limit. I know how to remove those Y-Bones . Its really simple with some practice. Blue Gill fishing is outstanding all around me. Lots of small streams full of trout as well. My little lake is a Blue Gill factory with lots of lush weeds and no high speed pleasure boats. We also have great Pike and Bass fishing. One thing is for sure, Michigan has a lot of fish. They are all around us and one of the best states for fresh water and fish in the U.S. It is for this reason we chose to stay here and endure the winters. KF
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Kingfish For This Useful Post: