Survivor

Thanked 12,184 Times in 4,918 Posts

Advertise Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyepal View Post
Israel Putnum
and
IamZeke...Please read my post.
I did, and Iím offering a way to be able to post pictures.

A used cell phone can be bought for $20-50.
One only needs WiFi so the phone doesnít even need to be activated.
You obviously have internet access.

With pictures your problem probably could have been solved within the first couple posts.

Iím just trying to offer a way that you can post pictures.
As another poster stated, it makes life a whole lot easier.
Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to Israel Putnam For This Useful Post:
Old 05-31-2019, 07:48 AM
VIP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksmedman View Post
Which is larger, the chair pole or the bike post?
The chair pole. It fits just inside the frame, but only just. Part of the problem is, the post-frame a litte to narrow, it starts out narrow then opens up wider. So said, I either have to the pole or find another chair if I can't remove the pole and keep the base/bracket piece. The base piece fits on the bottom of the chair, it's outside the pole.
The chair itself isn't as large as the one seen in Justme11 picture. It's smaller, about the same size as the Schwinn seat shown in Eddie_T's pic, only with an extended back piece gooseneck style.
In other words, if I figure out how to remove the pole without damaging the base bracket piece, it'd work .
Old 05-31-2019, 08:05 AM
VIP Member

Israel Putnam...obviously you didn't see where I stated that I'm DEAF.
Using a phone is NOT an option and I don't own one. I can however get a Text Only phone and it's on the agenda, to be bought soon.
Likewise, you apparently missed the part where I DON'T DRIVE. It's either, take a bus or pedal my bike, which is a bit of a hassle .
Old 05-31-2019, 08:18 AM
Limited Tolerance Member

Thanked 8,063 Times in 2,598 Posts

Quote:
Using a phone is NOT an option and I don't own one. I can however get a Text Only phone and it's on the agenda, to be bought soon.
Likewise, you apparently missed the part where I DON'T DRIVE. It's either, take a bus or pedal my bike, which is a bit of a hassle .
`

I get that you don't want a phone, fine whatever. But saying you couldn't use the camera feature on one for ease of uploading to the internet is ridiculous. Like he said you can find cheap phones with cameras that have wi-fi to upload pictures. Think of it as JUST a camera that has the feature of being able to access the internet. You could also use them to text & even that would be handy in an emergency. Even dialing 911 so they can get your location & they could hear you even if you can't hear them. People are trying to help you but you just want to find ways to resist being able to help them help you.

The Following User Says Thank You to Chuckleberry For This Useful Post:
Old 05-31-2019, 08:20 AM
VIP Member

Thanked 1,901 Times in 531 Posts

Quote:
The chair pole. It fits just inside the frame, but only just. Part of the problem is, the post-frame a litte to narrow, it starts out narrow then opens up wider. So said, I either have to the pole or find another chair if I can't remove the pole and keep the base/bracket piece. The base piece fits on the bottom of the chair, it's outside the pole.
The chair itself isn't as large as the one seen in Justme11 picture. It's smaller, about the same size as the Schwinn seat shown in Eddie_T's pic, only with an extended back piece gooseneck style.
In other words, if I figure out how to remove the pole without damaging the base bracket piece, it'd work .
Is this the kinda chair setup you're talking about?

If so it seems to be pretty standard. I just did a quick measurement of the pole going into the chair and it's 1.25". If a standard bike seat pole is 1" then I guess you need a pole to go from 1.25" to 1".

I'm not sure how to accomplish that but it sounds doable. I bet someone here knows how.

Also the pole in the seat there is wedged in. There's no retaining screw or anything holding it in. It's hard to remove but it will come off of there.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190531_070351.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	36.8 KB
ID:	287752  
Old 05-31-2019, 08:35 AM
Beer Truck Door Gunner

Thanked 55,650 Times in 19,339 Posts

Quote:
Problem is, I can't get the post off the office chair ...Yet .
Might have to get someone else to figure it out. My logic isn't working...what goes together, will come apart . Leastwise, it usually works that way.
If the chair post is hydraulically pressed in or is spot welded then you aren't going to pull it apart manually without trashing the bracket. Most of these office chairs are made in China and they make them assuming they will be junked when the owner tires of them. So that base section wasn't made for disassembly. It will take powered grinding and/or cutting tools.

Though it is far more common to find someone who has and can use them than a welder.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Israel Putnam View Post
If you can access the net on the phone you don’t even need a cord.
Which goes to show that as long as you have something that captures digital images you can get them onto the internet easily for cheap or free. Cords, flip phones, obsolete screen phones, and ancient digital cameras can all be had for a pittance. The used market is always willing to make a bit of pocket change. The learning is really the biggest hurdle.

The effort and small expense to get the ability will pay for itself the moment a large or fixed home appliance breaks and you can skip the repairman's secondary trip charge because he had to come two times because he needed a survey trip and a parts retrieval trip.

Several times I had an appliance beyond my desire or ability to fix. (I don't screw around with refrigeration) I just carefully logged the symptoms and took an image of the metal serial plate to send to the repairman. Then he would show up with the the right part needed to fix it and I was out only one trip charge. Or he would say over the phone it was beyond worth fixing and tell me to go buy a new appliance, so I didn't even need to pay the the service charge to be told it was toast.

I've also had some warranty covered items I took an image of and sent to the manufacturer to show what was broken. They just sent a replacement part or an entire new unit when they saw the image. That saved weeks of time and the expense of shipping the item to them.

The value of your own time logged images of an auto accident you are involved in will keep the other car owner and their insurance company honest, which may be worth many thousands of dollars. Or get an image of their plate if they try to run off.

Taking and sending digital images has saved me loads of hassle and money. As I'm getting older myself I can only see the need and value of this ability increasing as time passes. I'm constantly needing to go over and do this for my mother who is in her 80's. She just refuses to learn technology. Without me doing that she'd have been out massive money of her finite savings.

Search using Google, type "site:survivalistboards.com" in Google's search box, followed by the search parameters. You can use all normal conventions, limit searches by date, etc. Works quite well and beats the native search function.
The Following User Says Thank You to IamZeke For This Useful Post:
Old 05-31-2019, 08:50 AM
Survivor

Quote:
I did see that.

There is zero reason that someone who is deaf cannot use a phone to take pictures, zero.
Hearing is not required to take photographs and to post them on the internet.

Besides that, phones can be set to vibrate and to flash for the hearing impaired.
This way they can be alerted to receiving a text.
A cheap “outdated” $50 IPhone 5 is what my deaf and mute neighbor uses to communicate.
He uses one of the $35 plans at Walmart for unlimited talk and text, he uses a Comcast hotspot for free so he pays nothing for internet at home.
He does get (iirc) 10GB of Internet with his plan and it’s another $10 per GB if he runs out (again, iirc).
He uses the phone to type messages when in the store or anyplace else he needs to communicate, he ditched carrying around a pen and tablet years ago.
I can message him and he will either see the phone flash (until he answers it) or he will feel it buzzing in his pocket and he can even feel it vibrate on the table next to him.

I have no idea why you think I “missed the part where you don’t drive” since I said nothing about driving anywhere.

I’m trying to help you, and to be honest I think I can see why you don’t have any friends...
You’re kind of mean and crabby.

Be well and take care.
The Following User Says Thank You to Israel Putnam For This Useful Post:
Old 05-31-2019, 08:53 AM
Beer Truck Door Gunner

Quote:
So a bit of grinding on the chair post to narrow it a bit would work?

Find someone with an angle grinder. Lots of DIY guys have them.

Search using Google, type "site:survivalistboards.com" in Google's search box, followed by the search parameters. You can use all normal conventions, limit searches by date, etc. Works quite well and beats the native search function.
Old 05-31-2019, 08:53 AM
VIP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckleberry View Post
`
But saying you couldn't use the camera feature on one for ease of uploading to the internet is ridiculous. People are trying to help you but you just want to find ways to resist being able to help them help you.

I NEVER said that. Where you see this written?
You're jumping to conclusions that have NO foundation.
I appreciate those that are helpful...always.
Old 05-31-2019, 09:04 AM
VIP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cornly2 View Post
Is this the kinda chair setup you're talking about?
It looks like it, minus the knob piece in front .
Old 05-31-2019, 09:21 AM
This is a great survival forum

Thanked 30,182 Times in 9,940 Posts

Quote:
I believe sheís talking about a three wheel bicycle.

Thank God... haha. I was thinking Darwin Award for sure!
Old 05-31-2019, 09:22 AM
VIP Member

I cant add much of anything here to help. but I wanted point out an inherent danger with those 3 wheeled bikes... they can tip over under the right circumstances.

I once watched in horror as my own mother was unsuspecting of the tip over possibility while going down the driveway and turning at the same time. Luckily, she was only slightly bruised, but it could have been worse. The bike shop had just fitted a new wide seat on her bike, and it was set higher than the original seat.

I believe this set the center of gravity higher to some small degree.

My mother was slightly larger than average weight, and I think her weight combined with the seat height made for an unstable combination.

Please be safe and watch the turns, especially if travelling downhill.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to solar1 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-31-2019, 09:31 AM
VIP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamZeke View Post
The learning is really the biggest hurdle.
Taking and sending digital images has saved me loads of hassle and money. As I'm getting older myself I can only see the need and value of this ability increasing as time passes. I'm constantly needing to go over and do this for my mother who is in her 80's. She just refuses to learn technology. Without me doing that she'd have been out massive money of her finite savings.
You're probably right about the chair .
I only recently came to the same conclusion about needing the phone/camera since I live alone' but all things in due time. Just haven't needed it before now. I'll try my best to learn the "technology"...or die trying .
Old 05-31-2019, 09:39 AM
French Prometheus unbound

Thanked 66,749 Times in 20,455 Posts

This might be easy unless I misunderstand.
If you are trying to join a large pipe to a pipe that is smaller than its ID, maybe you can buy or find a 3rd pipe that fits over the small one and inside the large one, acting as a shim all the way around.

Then just drill a hole all the way through and put a HARDENED bolt through the entire assembly.

Also an old cell phone on a data only plan would still be a great tool for you to have.
Not just for the camera, but for all the many features and APPs on these devices.

Flashlight
GPS, maps.
Instant messager (perhaps they need a phone number though)
language translator
just a place to write notes back and forth on.
It has speech recognition that will print out text for you to read. (albeit with some errors). So someone can talk to your phone and a moment later you can read what they said.
CHeck prices on shopping items
Get the news and weather
weather alerts that vibrate the phone.
Look at home security camera and get motion alerts.
Shopping list
to do list
keeping model numbers and codes stored securely. (there are encrypted data vault apps
games like crossword puzzles and chess to pass the time when waiting at the doctor or dentist.

It will help connect you better to others which I assume is helpful when afflicted with a condition that tends to disconnect you
The Following User Says Thank You to Justme11 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-31-2019, 09:43 AM
VIP Member

Quote:
I did see that.

There is zero reason that someone who is deaf cannot use a phone to take pictures, zero.
Hearing is not required to take photographs and to post them on the internet.

Besides that, phones can be set to vibrate and to flash for the hearing impaired.
Iím trying to help you, and to be honest I think I can see why you donít have any friends...
Youíre kind of mean and crabby.

Be well and take care.
Point taken .
And I'm neither mean, nor crabby, but you're entitled to your opinions .
Old 05-31-2019, 10:01 AM
Beer Truck Door Gunner

Quote:
You're probably right about the chair .
I only recently came to the same conclusion about needing the phone/camera since I live alone' but all things in due time. Just haven't needed it before now. I'll try my best to learn the "technology"...or die trying .
Yeah, I'm not trying to scold you. Something you aren't experienced with is always a challenge until you get past it.

But I am going to encourage you because I've seen the value. Fact is that being deaf means you are more reliant visually. So the skill should end up being of more value ultimately.

Ask around to see if someone had an angle grinder. Worst case is Harbor Freight sells a cheap one for $20 that you can donate to the person who is willing to grind that post a bit narrower for you. Someone who is handy enough to use one and doesn't have one might trade effort for a cheap power tool. On a fixed income the trick is to keep your actual cash outlay low and barter with outer things. Why pay a guy to grind for you if he will do it to earn a cheap tool?

Be sure to note what Solar1 said. Trikes are less stable than you think at speed, high winds, or on an incline. Slow and straight needs to be the rule when you are not on flat road pavement. Such as trying to turn from an inclined driveway onto a sidewalk. Make those turns on flat level street pavement.

Old 05-31-2019, 10:25 AM
Limited Tolerance Member

Thanked 8,063 Times in 2,598 Posts

Quote:
I did, and I’m offering a way to be able to post pictures.

A used cell phone can be bought for $20-50.
One only needs WiFi so the phone doesn’t even need to be activated.
You obviously have internet access.

With pictures your problem probably could have been solved within the first couple posts.

I’m just trying to offer a way that you can post pictures.
As another poster stated, it makes life a whole lot easier.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckleberry View Post
`

But saying you couldn't use the camera feature on one for ease of uploading to the internet is ridiculous.
I NEVER said that. Where you see this written?
You're jumping to conclusions that have NO foundation.
I appreciate those that are helpful...always.

Quote:
Israel Putnam...obviously you didn't see where I stated that I'm DEAF. Using a phone is NOT an option and I don't own one.
So you are senile as well as deaf. Never mind then.

Old 05-31-2019, 10:28 AM
VIP Member

Thanked 1,901 Times in 531 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justme11 View Post
This might be easy unless I misunderstand.
If you are trying to join a large pipe to a pipe that is smaller than its ID, maybe you can buy or find a 3rd pipe that fits over the small one and inside the large one, acting as a shim all the way around.

Then just drill a hole all the way through and put a HARDENED bolt through the entire assembly.
This is kinda what I'm thinking. In fact you may need no other pipe.

The pipe that goes into the chair isn't just a pipe but it's "gas lift" assembly and I'm pretty sure it's hollow. If that's so then all that may be needed is to simply hacksaw the pipe and slide that over the bike seat post then secure it. You wouldn't even need to remove the pipe from the seat.

Also my first post I said the pipe was 1.25" but the replacement on Amazon shows 1 1/8th". If so I bet that may fit perfectly after hacksawed.

Link to assembly,
https://www.amazon.com/Office-Chair-.../dp/B01FGLVD6M

Also this link shows a diagram of the tubes insides which is why I figure it's hollow.
Old 05-31-2019, 10:43 AM
Survivor

The lifting cylinder of an office chair is under pressure.
Sawing into one could be slightly dangerous...
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Israel Putnam For This Useful Post:
Old 05-31-2019, 10:53 AM
Beer Truck Door Gunner

Quote:
The lifting cylinder of an office chair is under pressure.
Sawing into one could be slightly dangerous...
Good point.