New Interstate Through Texas or Revamping other Ones - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Disaster Preparedness General Discussion Anything Disaster Preparedness or Survival Related

Advertise Here

Old 06-11-2019, 05:59 PM

Default New Interstate Through Texas or Revamping other Ones

Advertise Here

Saw the article this morning. Pretty interesting about revamping or redoing some highways to accommodate Military readiness. I know that they are talking about making HWY 69 thru Hardin Co. wider in spots so I think this might be part of that.

I hope the link works

https://www.12newsnow.com/article/ne...4-23231302ffd5
Quick reply to this message
Old 06-12-2019, 11:44 AM
Hunter

Thanked 1,140 Times in 661 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royd View Post
Saw the article this morning. Pretty interesting about revamping or redoing some highways to accommodate Military readiness. I know that they are talking about making HWY 69 thru Hardin Co. wider in spots so I think this might be part of that.

I hope the link works

https://www.12newsnow.com/article/ne...4-23231302ffd5
Note this is state officials saying we need to spend a lot of money to improve military access to Texas ports. What’s not to love for a Texan, money coming into the state, better highways, and potentially long term jobs if port traffic picks up.
The Following User Says Thank You to country_boy For This Useful Post:
Old 06-12-2019, 03:36 PM
Cross-eyed Target Shooter

Thanked 2,482 Times in 579 Posts

Hmmmm! Do you think that "they" KNOW something? We never spent money for projects like this before. Maybe we should start researching if other states are getting similar projects. Lots of NOT GOOD things/changes on the near horizon! We need to increase our situational awareness!
The Following User Says Thank You to ingyow For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-12-2019, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ingyow View Post
Hmmmm! Do you think that "they" KNOW something? We never spent money for projects like this before. Maybe we should start researching if other states are getting similar projects. Lots of NOT GOOD things/changes on the near horizon! We need to increase our situational awareness!
I was wondering if they might know a little more than the rest of us. Plus it appears to stretch up the east coast. Looks like maybe Hwy 190 will be the main corridor through Texas.
Old 06-12-2019, 07:20 PM
Hunter

Thanked 3,719 Times in 975 Posts

Quote:
They may not "KNOW" anything special but we all know the US has a history of getting into wars. It is a pretty good bet something is going to happen sometime.
Old 06-13-2019, 01:09 PM
Hunter

Thanked 1,282 Times in 646 Posts

Quote:
Hmmmm! Do you think that "they" KNOW something? We never spent money for projects like this before. ......
NEVER??? the entire "Interstate System" was created as the "Dwight D. Eisenhower National System of Interstate and Defense Highways". This is why every major Army base had a 4lane built close to it. AND why the interstates largely bypassed the center of metro areas (of the time/1950s).

mil convoy want the road, civilian traffic clear the way and exit at the next ramp.
The Following User Says Thank You to neiowa For This Useful Post:
Old 06-16-2019, 07:16 PM
Listen to the ghosts

Thanked 8,554 Times in 3,231 Posts

Quote:
Well, they've already been in the process of converting US 59 (Laredo to Chicago) into Interstate 69 for a number of years. We've been spending money on projects like this for years. I just think it's under most people's RADAR.
Old 06-12-2019, 03:45 PM
Si vis pacem, para bellum

Thanked 10,105 Times in 3,886 Posts

Projects ramping up in BASTROP county to improve US290 and SH71. Not for military readiness, no. It is to relieve congestion when Houstonians have to unass the area for approaching storms.
Old 06-16-2019, 07:18 PM
Listen to the ghosts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDH View Post
Projects ramping up in BASTROP county to improve US290 and SH71. Not for military readiness, no. It is to relieve congestion when Houstonians have to unass the area for approaching storms.
Couldn't have anything to do with the population explosion in Travis and surrounding counties? Naw, couldn't have anything to do with that.
Old 06-16-2019, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ankylus View Post
Couldn't have anything to do with the population explosion in Travis and surrounding counties? Naw, couldn't have anything to do with that.
Federal grant money applied for after the Harvey grid lock and the resulting violence. There where shoot outs over the limited fuel supply, one less than 5 miles from the house. Widening shoulders to be able to use them as additional traffic lanes, putting in over passes to replace intersections with traffic lights to allow continuous flow, and making it so the east bound lanes to be shifted to counter flow are all part of the design.

The improvement in local commute times never entered their minds and will be a welcome side effect.
Old 06-17-2019, 08:02 PM
Listen to the ghosts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDH View Post
Federal grant money applied for after the Harvey grid lock and the resulting violence. There where shoot outs over the limited fuel supply, one less than 5 miles from the house. Widening shoulders to be able to use them as additional traffic lanes, putting in over passes to replace intersections with traffic lights to allow continuous flow, and making it so the east bound lanes to be shifted to counter flow are all part of the design.

The improvement in local commute times never entered their minds and will be a welcome side effect.
Got a source for that? All I could find was reports on separating the lanes with a median out around McDade.
Old 06-17-2019, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ankylus View Post
Got a source for that? All I could find was reports on separating the lanes with a median out around McDade.
You should have attend the 71 meeting at the Bastrop convention center last week.

Most of the McDade stretch of 290 upgraded 18 months ago. Giddings to Brenham is finishing up now. Paige is next. Still waiting to see how they deal with the part in Giddings.
Old 06-12-2019, 04:38 PM

That's how the entire Federal Interstate system began. When Eisenhower was President he implemented here what he saw in Nazi Germany. Their interstate system was totally to move massive amounts of military equipment around the country.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Klaatu For This Useful Post:
Old 06-12-2019, 06:27 PM
Beer Truck Door Gunner

Thanked 55,766 Times in 19,376 Posts

It's just military frustration with trying to move convoys on I10 and I20 that are always bogged down with heavy traffic.

Both go through major metro areas and remain stalled several times a day with commuter and commercial traffic.

The military isn't flexible enough to ensure it only goes through metro areas between the hours of 9pm and 5am.

Plus Beaumont traffic is now a big joke. Everybody in the Golden Triangle cities and all the way east to Lake Charles sees the area as one big spread out town with I10 being their commuter route. I've been 25 miles halfway between the two cities on the rural 6 lane section and at a dead stop in 5pm commuter traffic. The Lake Charles bridge is also a bad choke point because trucks have a real hard time with its grade and it only being a 4 lane bridge on a 6 lane highway. So getting to the Beaumont military embarkation point rapidly is basically impossible.

The hassles of getting to Fort Polk training base has meant that the Army simply quit stationing a big deployable unit there. All that is left there now is a brigade of infantry and the permanent OpFor teaching units.

Deploying from Fort Hood is even worse as to get to Corpus Christi means going through Austin and San Antonio, or to Beaumont means going through Austin and Houston. The army doesn't want their troops stationed closer to the coast and that means they end up with big cities in the way to the port.

Search using Google, type "site:survivalistboards.com" in Google's search box, followed by the search parameters. You can use all normal conventions, limit searches by date, etc. Works quite well and beats the native search function.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to IamZeke For This Useful Post:
Old 06-13-2019, 02:33 AM
Survivor

Thanked 3,879 Times in 2,152 Posts

I thought to move equipment you need rail.
New road even in open flat country is not cheap. In seattle just a bike lane cost $12-13M per mile though poor oversite was involved
Old 06-13-2019, 07:17 AM
Survivor

Thanked 12,918 Times in 4,207 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmas View Post
New road even in open flat country is not cheap. In seattle just a bike lane cost $12-13M per mile though poor oversite was involved
Most movements are by rail, however I've done a few line-hauls to Beaumont...it's a hassle. It's a good exercise for transportation units to line-haul, and I can see using roads between Bliss and Hood, or traveling to Polk for exercises. I can't recall the cost-benefit analysis, but there was a difference in price

It's been a while since I was at Hood, but both Bliss and Hood have major units for deployable operations. Our over-seas footprint will likely be reduced and we're looking at going back to the "Reforger" days where units simply deployed for exercises instead of having larger units forward deployed.

ROCK6
Old 06-14-2019, 06:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmas View Post

There is a rail that runs North out of Beaumont and usually there are infantry equipment on there. Guess maybe headed north to Polk or to the Port of Beaumont.

Zeke I agree too. I travel to Louisiana quite a bit for work and I10 all the way past Baton Rouge is terrible. They are widening it in parts and it's a nightmare, including crossing the river in Baton Rouge near downtown.
The Following User Says Thank You to Royd For This Useful Post:
Old 06-13-2019, 02:34 AM
Survivor

Thanked 3,879 Times in 2,152 Posts

Old 06-13-2019, 09:58 AM
This is a great survival forum

Thanked 30,182 Times in 9,940 Posts

They've been widening the interstates for quite some time and will continue to do so over the next 20 years. LOL

As far as a new interstate? Unless it's diagonal from Houston to Amarillo, we don't need another interstate. 2, 10, 14, 20, 27, 30, 35, 37, 40, 44, 45, 49, 59, 69, 410, 650, 820... there are quite a few already. I've just never understood why all interstates run N/S or E/W and never diagonal. The shortest distance between two points is a straight line... we need diagonal interstates.
Old 06-13-2019, 11:25 AM
Target Shooter

They (whoever they are) went through here last couple of years and raised all the bridges along the I80 corridor through the Sierras from Reno to Sacramento...maybe further