Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
My take on bare minimum low budget/no budget 3 gun set sgtmcboom Firearms General Discussion 15 10-21-2015 11:09 AM
beginner bow Ofurhang Primitive Weapons, Bows and Crossbows 17 07-30-2014 11:41 PM
Good, Inexpensive Compound Bow for Beginner? DonRhinehart Primitive Weapons, Bows and Crossbows 66 07-14-2013 05:52 PM
Is this a bad BEGINNER bow? Kailani Primitive Weapons, Bows and Crossbows 62 04-28-2013 12:25 PM
NC beginner! Sesome New Member Introduction 11 07-08-2012 01:09 PM
your food budget and can you stay on budget hank2222 Urban Survival 24 05-16-2011 06:57 PM
Beginner BOB ryan_m Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 20 03-01-2011 02:36 PM
The $600 beginner food budget? madt0wn Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 17 12-21-2010 06:14 PM
Building a compound within a compound! 2012 will not be that bad! Prepared2Surviv Controversial News and Alternative Politics 4 09-16-2010 11:03 PM
Beginner bow? X13X Primitive Weapons, Bows and Crossbows 8 05-13-2009 01:51 PM

Old 10-18-2013, 08:56 AM

Default Best beginner compound bow on a budget?

Advertise Here

I have been using a horton crossbow for years, but now i want to get in to the compound bow scene, SO...... what bows are quality, durrible, and relible? My father shoots and Hoyt, and my buddy shoots a BEAR, and my uncle shoots PSE. Ive heard good and bad about bears, but i dont know much about the PSE and Hoyt. Granted, my father is on of those "to be the best you have to buy the best" kind of guys, so i will assume that a hoyt is an expensive lil booger.
Quick reply to this message
Old 10-18-2013, 09:31 AM
Job 31:6

Location: The Upper Peninsula of Michigan is where my heart will always be.
Thanked 2,190 Times in 540 Posts

These days, most of the bad bow makers have been weeded out. Almost all of them are pretty good quality....so what it boils down to is what do you want to pay for?

If you want to pay for the name.....there are some of them out there where you'll pay at least $100 just to have their name on it.

Here is what I'd suggest. Go to a dealer who sells several brands. Pick them up and see how they feel in your hand. How it feels makes a huge difference on how it will shoot for you.....and each will feel a bit different.

Then......ask to shoot each that feels good to you. When I bought my last bow....I not only shot several....but then shot them blind folded and gave the shop owner a number (1-5) on how it felt to me. I shot each bow twice and he recorded the number. I had no idea what bow I was shooting when I shot it....and I had a clear winner.

I am into how quiet it is.....not on how fast it is. What I ended up with was a pretty fast bow that is extremely quiet. And, it was a bow which surprised me by not being one of the more expensive ones. I ended up with a Bear Truth II. Bear archery had a bad reputation many years ago when they first got into compound bows......but the last 10 years or so have put out top of the line bows without a huge cost in advertising. The result is incredible.

However, Parker and Martin both make good bows and neither of them advertise much.

Diamond is a good bow, Bowtech (maker of Diamond), and yes.....Mathews.

Just find one you like and can afford. I like my Bear, it has a lifetime warranty on everything except the string and cable. I'm sure others might also give such a warranty so look around.

Good luck.
Old 10-18-2013, 02:53 PM

Unfortunately i dont have many oppitions when it comes to trying out a bow. To my knowledge there are only one or two stores that sell bows (academy being one). but i have narrowed my search down to a few bows that i like. One being the PSE Rally. But i havent yet handled it so it may be the one, or maybe not.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-19-2013, 10:30 AM
Debt Is Money

Thanked 1,269 Times in 497 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben1022 View Post
Unfortunately i dont have many oppitions when it comes to trying out a bow.
If you are interested in hunting and don't know your draw length or the weight you can comfortably pull and hold, here are a few in addition to the Rally that have wide ranges of draw length adjustment to fit anyone's frame, and variable draw weights that can grow with your strength over time.

Diamond Infinite Edge
Bear Outbreak
Parker Sidekick
PSE Chaos

All are in the lower price range and as stated above offer good quality and performance.
Old 10-19-2013, 03:10 AM
Svensk hamster

Thanked 4,925 Times in 1,909 Posts

I have two Diamond bows, Black ice (30-60 lbs) & The Rock (60-70 lbs). I had never even used a bow before I bought them, but it wasn't that difficult to learn how to use them. Good quality, no malfunction at all after years of use.
Old 10-19-2013, 12:28 PM
Blame Canada.

Thanked 2,234 Times in 1,353 Posts

Quote:
I have been using a horton crossbow for years, but now i want to get in to the compound bow scene, SO...... what bows are quality, durrible, and relible? My father shoots and Hoyt, and my buddy shoots a BEAR, and my uncle shoots PSE. Ive heard good and bad about bears, but i dont know much about the PSE and Hoyt. Granted, my father is on of those "to be the best you have to buy the best" kind of guys, so i will assume that a hoyt is an expensive lil booger.
You mentioned the PSE rally. Many poo poo PSE, but they tend to be bow snobs. I shoot a PSE DNA at this time. Like it allot, very fast bow. As far as expensive go's, whats expensive to you and whats your criteria other then low cost ? What trade off's are you willing to take in exchange for those trade off's ? Want speed ? cool, but you need to be able to draw that bow to get that speed, even with an 80% let off. You will also have to deal with more vibration and noise to get that speed. Lots of stuff go's into a compound bow thees days, and none are really "cheap" in my opinion. I would spend some time shooting mu uncles Bear, my Father's Hoyt, and my uncles PSE and see which I liked the best. Do some research on their cams, and why they claim they are so good.
Old 10-23-2013, 05:47 AM
Survivor

Thanked 7,447 Times in 4,139 Posts

Cheapest, cost wise, is old technology bows from the 1980s, 1990s that you can pick up on Ebay, Craig's List and various archery sites for under a hundred dollars and usually with the whole kit--sights, rest, quiver, arrows, heads etc.
The Following User Says Thank You to SeekHer For This Useful Post:
Old 10-23-2013, 06:39 AM
Survivor

Thanked 5,293 Times in 2,452 Posts

Try the Mission Ballistic. Its about 560.00 for the package deal from Mathews. Its very well tuned right out of the box and has a bow speed of about 325 fps. Its adjustable from 50-70 pounds of draw and I am not sure what the draw length adjustments are but it should accommodate most shooters unless you have a very short or long draw. You can get a better bow than the Mission Ballistic but your probably going to spend about twice as much to get any significant improved performance. Its a whole lotta bang for the fun dollar!!!
Old 10-24-2013, 12:37 AM
Survivor

Thanked 3,562 Times in 1,523 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuniticFringeInc View Post
Try the Mission Ballistic. Its about 560.00 for the package deal from Mathews. Its very well tuned right out of the box and has a bow speed of about 325 fps. Its adjustable from 50-70 pounds of draw and I am not sure what the draw length adjustments are but it should accommodate most shooters unless you have a very short or long draw. You can get a better bow than the Mission Ballistic but your probably going to spend about twice as much to get any significant improved performance. Its a whole lotta bang for the fun dollar!!!
Interesting thread because I have been considering getting another bow. I havent had one in 15 years and my last was a Bear and Jennings I got when I was 15. I got it for Christmas so I have no idea what the cost of it was, but $560 is what I personally consider expensive. Jeez, I can buy a GUN for that price and the projectiles wont cost me $15.00 each (by the time you factor in broadheads). Anyway, back to my point- so $500 ballpark is what I would expect to pay for a decent quality bow these days?

The reason I ask is because my oldest son wants one also so theres no such thing as getting just one. The problem is, I dont mind spending a little extra on his because hes much more into it than I am, but Id hate to explain to my wife why I just dropped $1200 on "toys" (her words, not mine).
Old 10-24-2013, 02:22 PM
Blame Canada.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLICK75 View Post
Interesting thread because I have been considering getting another bow. I havent had one in 15 years and my last was a Bear and Jennings I got when I was 15. I got it for Christmas so I have no idea what the cost of it was, but $560 is what I personally consider expensive. Jeez, I can buy a GUN for that price and the projectiles wont cost me $15.00 each (by the time you factor in broadheads). Anyway, back to my point- so $500 ballpark is what I would expect to pay for a decent quality bow these days?

The reason I ask is because my oldest son wants one also so theres no such thing as getting just one. The problem is, I dont mind spending a little extra on his because hes much more into it than I am, but Id hate to explain to my wife why I just dropped $1200 on "toys" (her words, not mine).
.$560 is dirt cheap. Most start around $750.00++. Its the price you pay for the engineering I guess
The Following User Says Thank You to Vacas Locas For This Useful Post:
Old 10-25-2013, 12:07 AM
Prepared

I bought a PSE Drive, but they are manufactured just down the street from my work. They have a lot of different bow packages at decent prices. And great service!
The Following User Says Thank You to JaXXas For This Useful Post:
Old 10-23-2013, 10:40 PM
I love this forum

Quote:
Bear started a new line a few years ago that are under 500$ great for beginners, they are good durable bows and accurate, most places sell them now, but really my advice is go to a shop that lets you shoot them and try one from each brand out, all bows have a different feel, you just have to find whats comfortable to you, good luck
Old 10-31-2013, 01:10 PM

My personal favorite compound bow brand(the one in which I own) would have to be, Bear Archery. They have great options that are not too hard on the wallet. They are ultra-light and rugged and they have some smoking fast models. My Bear Truth is a 65 lb. bow, with a black and gold with UV illuminated pins. A good broadhead brand to trust as well would be a montec g5 fixed blade...ultra sharp and shoot extremely well.

Goodluck! Hope this helps.
Old 10-31-2013, 03:28 PM

i debated between martin and pse back when i got my compound, and that was in 2007. martin jag, sight, arrow rest and a dozen arrows with field points i think i was out 400 or 450. pse probably was a little cheaper. but you can find things around that.

i know you said compound, but is this purely for hunting, or also possibly for a bug out/SHTF situation? if so, why not look at some of the take down bows? still fun, but also more affordable. i just got an october mountain (i think) 45# with arrows for under 300. and you can go lower than that (figure a dozen arrows can run you ~80 with just the field points).
Old 11-03-2013, 02:52 PM

I started on a Mathews Craze this past spring and really like it.
Old 11-03-2013, 03:27 PM
Blame Canada.

Cool bows.
Old 11-03-2013, 06:26 PM

I have always been a fan of Bear, this time of year you can pick up last years model pretty cheap. I got mine of Ebay at like half the price of the new year and works just as good. spend some time reading reviews and do some research before you buy.
Old 11-05-2013, 11:12 AM

The 2014 models are coming out and now would be a good time to look into off the shelf 2013 bows at reduced prices.
Mission is a worthy consideration when budget is the primary concern along with the want for something new.
Old 11-25-2013, 03:36 PM

There is allot of very solid advice here that I hope will help you when you set out to make your decision. Don't forget when you do go to test shoot bows that you leave preconceived notions and the rumors at the door. Like everyone before me, I too have heard from someone that a friend/brother-in-law/neighbor had a bad experience with this or that brand and to avoid them at all costs. If that were the case no new bows would ever be sold as each of us has heard a tale relating to each manufacturer.

Do some research before you step out so you that you are prepared to help yourself get the right bow for you. Right now in the compound bow world speed is a huge issue and many people are getting caught up in the speed game in ways that may be a bit unnecessary. Pretty much every manufacturer in today's market can shoot three hundred feet per second with the right arrows and arrow makers are really bending over backward to make the right arrow for pretty much every possible situation, bow, and archer. So with that said put speed aside for now and focus on how the bow fits your body, how it draws, and how quiet it is.

By now you've figured that there is a huge pile of bows being made in all sorts of sizes, configurations, and prices and to be honest it really is confusing. While I admittedly come from the "invest in the best quality and cry once" school of thought, the highest priced bow is not always the best solution for everyone. Remember this old adage, "it's not the bow that aims the arrow, it's the Indian." I remember that from my youth in scouting and it really does hold true. If you take your time, practice, and solidify your skills you will find that you don't need the latest do-hickey or jimmy jammer to make the shot.

Draw length is an issue that you have to consider now in the compound bow world and setting that up correctly will make a huge difference in not only your accuracy but also your comfort level. One simple and easy method to do is is to use the following method.

Stand up straight and extend your arms and hands out while keeping your shoulders straight, don't arch your back or bow up your chest, just stay relaxed. Measure the distance -a friend might make this allot easier- from the tip of one middle finger to the other while keeping your hand flat and opened. Take that measurement in inches and divide that by two and a half to find your rough draw length.

Example: My arm span is 72", divided by 2.5 I find that 28.8" is my rough calculated draw length. With that information I have my compound bow set to 28" draw length and have added a .5" nocking loop tied on that I attach my release to.

As to trying out bows I strongly suggest you do so before laying your money down even if that requires you to make a day out of it as it were. Check the manufacturers websites for their authorized dealers and plug your location information in to find out who is near you. Hopefully you may be surprised to find more options than you imagined. And don't just try the big name manufacturers sites either, try some of the other guys too, dealer networks are a funny thing and some shops don't sell this brand but they do that brand.

In North America bow season will soon be over for 2013 and that means that the do-hickey and jimmy jammer enthusiasts will be trading in their perfect bows for the next shiny thing that they can't live without. This means savings for you not only on the price of the bow itself but also many time the accessories too. I myself have only bought two new bows but I have bought almost a dozen second hand bows and still have and enjoy each of them by shooing them myself or watching a loved one that I gave it to shoot it.

And regardless of your choice do let us know what you decided upon and why as well to help others make a better educated decision.
Old 02-22-2016, 10:33 PM

Mathews Monster Chill. Came out with a new style in 2015, personally liked the older style and bought it at half of the new style cost. Very light, very fast very quiet even at 70 lbs. Craig's list and eBay you can steal the sometimes, some people just won't have 2, but will own 20 or 30 guns lol