Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
You get to pick next US military sidearm! What would you pick and why? Wagion Military Weapons Forum 572 02-20-2017 07:42 PM
They pick me up, how will YOU know HaroldWayneHamlin Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 43 01-23-2017 01:46 PM
Help me pick a 10/22 Eagle Scout Dan Firearms General Discussion 16 05-13-2014 10:42 PM
Which one would you pick? spmc1977 Knives, Swords & Axes 30 08-09-2013 11:58 PM
Which would you pick? ben1022 Firearms General Discussion 25 05-24-2013 11:10 AM
help me pick my new gun houndsman Military Weapons Forum 25 11-30-2012 11:24 AM
Take Your Pick Mr2ndAmendment Military Weapons Forum 21 11-13-2012 01:18 PM
Help me pick a gun outside the box Shotgun Forum 19 09-05-2012 04:34 PM
MS or MI... if you had to pick one which would it be? Skeer Urban Survival 54 05-13-2012 01:21 AM
If you had to pick two... manriki Manmade and Natural Disasters 103 01-11-2011 06:44 PM

Old 09-22-2011, 10:55 AM

Default Help me pick a gun

Advertise Here

I know this should be in the firearms forum but I just want general opinions. I am really picky and have certain features I am looking for. Based on that please give me your opinons.

Type :Concealed Carry/Pocket Pistol
Action :Would prefer single and double action capability
Caliber :380 is as low as I'm looking for. Would prefer 9 but have no problem with 380
Safety :Manual Safety/de-cocker
Price: ~$400
Material: Prefer all steel but I realize how practical polymers can be so I'd deal with it if I had to.

I am considering the LCP but the no manual safety thing bugs me. Also it is only double action. That said its tiny, light, and badass little gun. I'm also considering the LC9 which has the manual safety but still only double action.

I like the SR9C but its a little big and a bit above my price range. Glock 26 also on the table but again - a little too big, no manual safety, and double action only.

I REALLY like the PPK but its a little too pricey at around $550+ new.

Any guns I'm not thinking of that you guys love? Any thoughts on the safety of the LCP and the benefits/negatives of the LCP or LC9? Thanks.

Quick reply to this message
Old 09-22-2011, 11:05 AM
American fearmaker

Thanked 27,320 Times in 8,796 Posts

Take a look at the Bersa family of firearms. I own one and it is a good working piece of metal. You can get them in different calibers too. And don't forget to check out the Makarov pistols too. Both the Bersa and Makarovs are clones of the Walther pistols.
The Following User Says Thank You to Herd Sniper For This Useful Post:
Old 09-22-2011, 11:08 AM

Sig Sauer P229 - May be over your price limit but you can find one for a lil over 500. It's single action so if you don't mind having it on safety or releasing the hammer when carrying or simply turning the safety off when in use then it's a great carry gun.

http://www.sigsauer.com/CatalogProdu...tols-p229.aspx

Also I would recommend a .38 special. Great defensive gun, and you can always rely on a revolver.

Check out Slick Guns for searching for cheap used and new guns. Good luck! Remember if you have friends that have different carry guns or smaller hand guns, ask them if you can shoot them! Shoot as many different types as possible and see which one you prefer before finding an "awesome looking" gun to carry.
Old 01-02-2012, 01:19 PM
I survive on Hate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by riverred View Post
Sig Sauer P229 - May be over your price limit but you can find one for a lil over 500. It's single action so if you don't mind having it on safety or releasing the hammer when carrying or simply turning the safety off when in use then it's a great carry gun.

http://www.sigsauer.com/CatalogProdu...tols-p229.aspx

Also I would recommend a .38 special. Great defensive gun, and you can always rely on a revolver.

Check out Slick Guns for searching for cheap used and new guns. Good luck! Remember if you have friends that have different carry guns or smaller hand guns, ask them if you can shoot them! Shoot as many different types as possible and see which one you prefer before finding an "awesome looking" gun to carry.
+1, I have a Sig P229 in 9mm, and it's a fantastic pistol. Small, compact, and lightweight.
Old 09-22-2011, 11:14 AM

I'm not really concerned about how it looks. I want something reliable, small, and safe. I own a .38 spcl revolver but its a little too cumbersome for me to carry daily.

p229 is awesome but yeah - too rich for my blood. I can't spend $550+ on a firearm at this point or I would.

Im really liking the Bersa suggestion. Any comments on reliability/accuracy/safety with regard to these guns?
Old 09-22-2011, 11:17 AM
Gravity is a Theory.

Thanked 6,537 Times in 1,990 Posts

Are you looking for a concealed carry, or a pocket pistol.

Those are two very different types of firearm.
Old 09-22-2011, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goosed View Post
Are you looking for a concealed carry, or a pocket pistol.

Those are two very different types of firearm.
concealed carry - ideally in an IWB holster. I'd get a pocket pistol if it suited my specs and was in my price range.
Old 09-22-2011, 11:18 AM
Bear Magnet

Thanked 6,225 Times in 2,179 Posts

Autos are fun at the range but without significant training and practice they're not reliable enough for a life or death situation. Get a Smith and Wesson J frame revolver 38.
Double action, more stopping power and all ya gotta do is point it and pull the trigger!
The Following User Says Thank You to biathlon For This Useful Post:
Old 09-22-2011, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biathlon View Post
Autos are fun at the range but without significant training and practice they're not reliable enough for a life or death situation. Get a Smith and Wesson J frame revolver 38.
Double action, more stopping power and all ya gotta do is point it and pull the trigger!
well said..as far as accuracy goes, that's up to you. You can play pool with a crooked stick if you play with it long enough.
The Following User Says Thank You to riverred For This Useful Post:
Old 09-22-2011, 11:27 AM
What Would *I* Do?

Beretta 84F - 14 rounds .380 ACP - great weight, relatively small - great grip feel, recoil feels low - SA/DA - Manual safety/decocker - ~ $400 - All steel - Beauty of a pistol

Does this meet your qualifications close enough?
Old 09-22-2011, 11:34 AM
Isaiah 1:17

You could go for a CZ 2075 9mm. It is right around your price range, about $400. I have shot one of these before and i never had a problem in the 300 rounds i put through it. Perfect for concealed carry, in my personal opinion.
Old 09-22-2011, 05:32 PM
Human bean of planet Urf

Thanked 4,919 Times in 2,311 Posts

Quote:
I'm not really concerned about how it looks. I want something reliable, small, and safe. I own a .38 spcl revolver but its a little too cumbersome for me to carry daily.
A K frame, WW? I carry a J frame Model 36 in my pocket or an IWB holster pretty much at all times. Feel naked without it. Five shots is enough to make me feel protected. Before the 36, I carried an NAA .22mag. *That* was a light gun!

Be safe.

rich
Old 09-22-2011, 05:57 PM

If you really like the PPK and the price is the only issue, I'd look at the Bersa Thunder .380. Great little PPK knock-off gun and you can almost pick up a pair of them for the price of one PPK.
The Following User Says Thank You to *Rhino* For This Useful Post:
Old 09-24-2011, 10:00 AM

I pocket carry so here's my thoughts on the matter.

My first carry was a Ruger LCR, but I'm a jeans and T-shirt guy and it was just abit too bulky.

Currently I carry a NAA 22 in my front pocket. Have it in a leather cell phone case. Works well and I can pull the whole thing out and switch pockets or whatever nobody notices. Just looks like a cell phone. The safety notch for the hammer makes me feel alot better about carrying something 2 inches from my junk.

I like revolvers and wish there was something in between the size of these two but there really isnt anything out there that i know of. In revolver that is.

The LCP is a great semi-auto option that alot of people I know use. The form is perfect for pocket carry. If only I liked semi-auto Id be using one.

I've fired all three of these small pistols and I can safely say I cant hit crap with any of them. And thats under no stress conditions.

I consider them all a way to get the bad guy to duck while I high tail it out of there.
Old 09-24-2011, 10:22 AM
Survivor

Thanked 13,802 Times in 5,017 Posts

LCR in .357, You already have a gun that can share .38 ammo, so it's cost effective.

Very light, easy, dependable and safe to carry IMO.

Good Luck
Old 09-24-2011, 10:25 AM

I'd suggest a wheel gun if you don't have much experiance
Old 09-24-2011, 08:19 PM
Looks like rain to me.

Thanked 44,292 Times in 26,242 Posts
Awards Showcase
Top Poster 
Total Awards: 1

Find one that fits your hand. You should be able to work the controls, mag release, safety etc without altering your grip.

After that work on make, model and caliber.
Old 10-05-2011, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SgtBooker44 View Post
Find one that fits your hand. You should be able to work the controls, mag release, safety etc without altering your grip.

After that work on make, model and caliber.

What he said! Me I have the Glock-19. It's perfect for me.
Old 09-28-2011, 03:11 PM
Pull up your Dora panties

Thanked 16,761 Times in 4,526 Posts

check out a taurus pt709. its a 9mm slim single and double action with a manual safty and a a trigger safty.
Old 10-02-2011, 06:39 PM
Target Shooter

I have the LCP with a laser and I keep it in a Desantis holster, it works fantastic in the front pocket of my jeans locked and loaded. The holster keeps it safe and I tend to pull out the gun and holster at the same time keeping it in 'safe mode' until I unholster using two hands. You could pull it out of the holster with one hand if you were in a bind. It's my every day carry. I love the laser as I can hit a chipmunk from 30 yards no problem, I'd advise you to get a laser just to keep the bullet going exactly where you want. I never had a laser before and won't ever go back. The only down side to this gun is that after shooting about 30 rounds it hurts my hand. If I put on some light gloves it solves the problem, but who would be shooting more than a few rounds in an emergency anyway. I bought my gun used and for some reason when racking the slide to load the first round sometimes it gets stuck and needs to be coaxed to get that first round in. It never jammed when shooting though. It's the smallest lightest gun I've found that really fits my big hands, I'd recommend it. After I bought this gun my search for a better everyday carry gun pretty much came to an end. Believe it or not some guy in church showed me his LCP and I found out a lot of people carry this gun, I'm guessing it's the number one carry in this area.