Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here

Old 07-17-2020, 10:59 AM
Survivor

Thanked 14,224 Times in 4,445 Posts

Advertise Here

Since you are doing a more or less permanent structure any real reason for a teepee? My understanding they were ideal for nomad use since they can be taken up and down easily. If you want a native design plenty of woodland Indians built lodges and wigwams that might do and since you said you have a forest to gleam no expense like canvas to buy.
Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to real wowwee For This Useful Post:
Old 07-18-2020, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by real wowwee View Post
Since you are doing a more or less permanent structure any real reason for a teepee? My understanding they were ideal for nomad use since they can be taken up and down easily. If you want a native design plenty of woodland Indians built lodges and wigwams that might do and since you said you have a forest to gleam no expense likze canvas to buy.
Yes indeed I have my poles gathered. Now I have the challenge of acquiring the right fabric. I was thinking Calico or 100% polyester and then waterproofing it in a soybean oil and turpentine based liquid. What you think??
Old 07-18-2020, 12:44 PM
Indefatigable

Thanked 46,054 Times in 14,083 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Despicable_me View Post
Yes indeed I have my poles gathered. Now I have the challenge of acquiring the right fabric. I was thinking Calico or 100% polyester and then waterproofing it in a soybean oil and turpentine based liquid. What you think??
Calico is for quilts. The sun/UV will turn that polyester crunchy and it will shatter like potato chips in one summer.
I think you need more research - have you ever been to a website of companies who make tipis? Also how are your sewing skills? Do you have a commercial machine?
Here is a link to get you started...
https://tipi.com/tipifabrics/
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jojo For This Useful Post:
Old 07-18-2020, 01:21 PM

I know that cotton canvas is the general norm I have done the research I'm just looking at alternatives. I have a seamstress in the town that can do the pattern for me she is well equipped and I have the book the Indian tipi or whatever it's called and I've given it to her to read through so that she knows what is expected of the pattern.
Old 07-18-2020, 01:23 PM

How are you so sure the polyester won't work? Have you seen fabric shatter into potato chips? I think you're someone that should do more research polyester is one of the most durable fabrics in the world
Old 07-18-2020, 02:35 PM
Indefatigable

Thanked 46,054 Times in 14,083 Posts

Quote:
How are you so sure the polyester won't work? Have you seen fabric shatter into potato chips? I think you're someone that should do more research polyester is one of the most durable fabrics in the world
I am a seamstress/tailor/upholsterer who does this for a living. I have 55 years of experience. Furthermore, I am a Native, who while I do not own my own tipi, spends time as a guest in several on regular occasions.
Have fun making your play tent.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Jojo For This Useful Post:
Old 07-18-2020, 03:05 PM
Survivor

Thanked 7,151 Times in 3,036 Posts

You need canvas, and you need some directions. You don't just throw any cloth over your poles and trim the excess, you have to cut the canvas a specific way. Get the book.
The Following User Says Thank You to bilmac For This Useful Post:
Old 07-18-2020, 03:11 PM
Survivor

Thanked 8,041 Times in 2,824 Posts

Play tent....? More than a bit condescending and racist, JoJo.
Old 07-18-2020, 03:15 PM
Survivor

Thanked 8,041 Times in 2,824 Posts

Sorry, polyester sunbleaches and never see.s to stop ripping once it starts! I defer to anyone with a teepee. Mine were other tent styles only. I only urge reasonable caution with some fabrics.
Old 07-18-2020, 03:24 PM
Abnormality biased.

Thanked 23,534 Times in 6,746 Posts

Treated canvas is the only way to go. Look for a product called "Sunforger" Any plastic product will be a nightmare long term. Also, forget having a fire in a polyester teepee.

Quote:
Since you are doing a more or less permanent structure any real reason for a teepee? My understanding they were ideal for nomad use since they can be taken up and down easily. If you want a native design plenty of woodland Indians built lodges and wigwams that might do and since you said you have a forest to gleam no expense like canvas to buy.
This is a very good question. Teepees are inferior to almost every other large mobile shelter ever designed.....their one advantage is that you heat them without any kind of metal stove or chimney.

The only reason to use a teepee in a modern setting is that you are seeking to live in a traditional manner.

If you just need an mobile tent to live in....medieval pavilions, yurts, wall tents....anything is better than a teepee for actually living in.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Aerindel For This Useful Post:
Old 07-19-2020, 10:44 AM
Survivor

Thanked 3,474 Times in 1,596 Posts

Is there a reason you dont want to use canvas?

Walmart sells a duck canvas for about 3.50 a yard. I have used it for lots of outdoor projects. From boats to tents and iceshacks. Once I have the fabric sewn I waterproof it with boiled linseed oil. In projects where linseed oil is too expensive I waterproof it with oils oil based paint thinned with gasoline.
Old 07-20-2020, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bilmac View Post
You need canvas, and you need some directions. You don't just throw any cloth over your poles and trim the excess, you have to cut the canvas a specific way. Get the book.
I already said , maybe if you actually read the posts, that I have the book called the Indian tipi recommended by everyone
Old 07-20-2020, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jojo View Post
Quote:
I am a seamstress/tailor/upholsterer who does this for a living. I have 55 years of experience. Furthermore, I am a Native, who while I do not own my own tipi, spends time as a guest in several on regular occasions.
Have fun making your play tent.
well I'm very happy for you. Seeing as you're a professional you would know that poly is strong fabric , maybe not meant for tipis due to its thin volume in fabric but I highly doubt it could turn into crisps for you to eat
Old 07-20-2020, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lasers View Post
Is there a reason you dont want to use canvas?

Walmart sells a duck canvas for about 3.50 a yard. I have used it for lots of outdoor projects. From boats to tents and iceshacks. Once I have the fabric sewn I waterproof it with boiled linseed oil. In projects where linseed oil is too expensive I waterproof it with oils oil based paint thinned with gasoline.
Hi there is not paticular reason that I don't want to use canvas I was merely weighing my options and attempting to see what was available and what else could be used. I've read many articles and the book the Indian tipi and I know Cotton Canvas or hemp canvas is the way to go.