Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
BOV Chemical/Biologic Protection ? 72Malibu Nuclear, Biological and Chemical (NBC) Survival 38 06-03-2019 05:51 PM
Rugged Vehicle vs Plastic Vehicle InOmaha Vehicles & Transportation 35 02-06-2018 12:41 PM
Signs that a bug-out or SHTF is imminent? zooeyhll Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 147 12-19-2017 05:28 PM
Water Sources Around The Bug Out Location AllOutdoor.com AllOutdoor.com 0 07-31-2017 09:30 AM
Computer speaker wire extension questions TxHannah The Tech Zone 14 07-03-2017 04:45 PM

Old 05-14-2019, 05:14 PM

Default Best Pre-Computer Bug-Out Vehicle?

Advertise Here

What do you think?
Quick reply to this message
Old 05-14-2019, 06:47 PM
Is a great cartridge.

Thanked 5,269 Times in 1,633 Posts

Best Pre-Computer Bug-Out Vehicle?

I'll be driving my: PA-18-150 (The fuel caches are in position)
Old 05-14-2019, 07:23 PM
French Prometheus unbound

Thanked 62,853 Times in 19,367 Posts

That's Buck Taylor ("Newly") from Gunsmoke.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Justme11 For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-14-2019, 10:23 PM
VIP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justme11 View Post

That's Buck Taylor ("Newly") from Gunsmoke.

No computers there! lol
The Following User Says Thank You to Budlite12 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-15-2019, 05:28 AM
SBs Resident Non Prepper

Thanked 8,043 Times in 3,105 Posts

Why is everyone so afraid of a vehicle with a computer?

I’m willing to bet a majority of the people on SB drive a vehicle everyday that has numerous computers.
If you had to leave an area fairly quickly...and travel a good distance.... shouldn’t you want a vehicle that was more fuel efficient and dependable?
The Following User Says Thank You to Goodwrench708 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-15-2019, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodwrench708 View Post
Why is everyone so afraid of a vehicle with a computer?

I’m willing to bet a majority of the people on SB drive a vehicle everyday that has numerous computers.
If you had to leave an area fairly quickly...and travel a good distance.... shouldn’t you want a vehicle that was more fuel efficient and dependable?
At least for a time people believed an EMP would permanently, until repaired, disable cars with computer modules.
Now there it is not so obvious whether such vehicles would be disabled, or might be able to restart if the battery is disconnected and reconnected.

Not enough data really to say an EMP wipes out normal vehicles or not.
Or whether some vehicles get fried while others might be OK.

But it would be bad to guess wrong and end up on foot entirely. So old non-ECM vehicles are worth considering, although they require additional maintenance and are mostly getting so old that their failure rate from being ancient vehicles might make them an even worse bet statistically.

So while I was being a bit funny with the horse suggestion, they are reliable, and don't require oil, gasoline, computer chips and so forth. They beat the heck out of walking, and can handle rough terrain. Add on a wagon for the horse and you have the ability to carry a reasonable bug out load.

Another option is those little 2 stroke motors you can buy for a $100 to motorize a bicycle. They have no semiconductors to fry. But bicycles are not rugged, and can't carry nearly the weight that a horse and wagon can.

Or buy a duplicate sacrificial vehicle for parts, and seal it or the parts in a Faraday cage. (probably cheaper than buying all the new aftermarket computer devices.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Justme11 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-15-2019, 08:21 AM
Hunter

Thanked 1,451 Times in 621 Posts

if an EMP fries the computer in a modern car, why would you not expect that same EMP to destroy the ignition system in an older car?

the electronic ignition module (all versions of HEI, Fomoco boxes, Chrysler, etc. have similar electronics in their setups) would be equally destroyed, so you'd have to go points/condenser setup, yet the ignition coil and condenser would be destroyed since they would likely inductively pickup the EMP and possibly damage the points/dist. cap as they would arc over/burn.

so I'm going with a 60's diesel tractor....
The Following User Says Thank You to gungatim For This Useful Post:
Old 05-15-2019, 09:03 AM
SBs Resident Non Prepper

I know it’s a favorite subject for some folks here on SB... about owning some old vehicle
There are many disadvantages to owning old vehicles
....parts are not easy to find. Both new and used... they require lots of upkeep just to keep them running... require mechanical skills that many don’t have. ... us old school mechanics are a dying breed.... and the new generation mechanic doesn’t have the skills to keep these old vehicles running. They don’t even teach old school mechanic basics in schools anymore. Timing lights...compression test....carb rebuild and adjustments....starter and alternator rebuild....etc.... it’s not even taught anymore.
Like it or not....Us old school mechanics are dying off .....

Up until last year....in my garage was a 1964 Ford Galaxy 500XL convertible ....fully restored to factory. I restored it from the ground up...... Factory original
Constant upkeep and maintenance required.... pain in the butt

I know it easy to come on here and preach all this stuff.

If an EMP scares you so much.... research your vehicle that you drive every day. Find out what components will keep it from operating.. buy spares of those parts... and store them someplace. Believe it or not.... there are usually few parts that will stop your vehicle from operating.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Goodwrench708 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-15-2019, 09:46 AM
Hunter

Thanked 1,956 Times in 952 Posts

What is your goal for a vehicle?

Do you want to:
Drive long distances fast with just yourself and little cargo?
Drive long distances with many people and tons of cargo?
Use the vehicle to do work and power other attachments?
Stay on roads?
Travel off road?
Run on any fuel available?
Fly?
Float?
Over snow?
In the city?
In the country?
In heat?
In cold?

I like the suggestion of an old tractor. With a tractor you can travel many places cars can't go or down the road, you can hook it to a trailer pull heavy loads of cargo or people and you can use it to pull and power any equipment you can get your hands on. If you want to go fast or cover large distances, a tractor probably isn't the vehicle you want.

Allis Chalmers was made in my area so they are everywhere. I can get all sorts of Allis WD or WD45's in running condition converted to points and 12 volt with a loader for $500-$600. Get one nice one with wide front and fix it up, then get a couple more(running) for parts. Then take the starter, generator, magneto/points and battery from one and put it in storage so they will be protected from an EMP. If you want to throw in an extra $200 you could buy an entire set of gaskets and rings for the entire tractor so when something happens you have everything you need to do a total rebuild and keep it running for another 70 years. Maybe even get the extra gaskets and fuel line to run it on kerosene.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lasers For This Useful Post:
Old 05-15-2019, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodwrench708 View Post
I know itís a favorite subject for some folks here on SB... about owning some old vehicle
There are many disadvantages to owning old vehicles
....parts are not easy to find. Both new and used... they require lots of upkeep just to keep them running... require mechanical skills that many donít have. ... us old school mechanics are a dying breed.... and the new generation mechanic doesnít have the skills to keep these old vehicles running. They donít even teach old school mechanic basics in schools anymore. Timing lights...compression test....carb rebuild and adjustments....starter and alternator rebuild....etc.... itís not even taught anymore.
Like it or not....Us old school mechanics are dying off .....

Up until last year....in my garage was a 1964 Ford Galaxy 500XL convertible ....fully restored to factory. I restored it from the ground up...... Factory original
Constant upkeep and maintenance required.... pain in the butt

I know it easy to come on here and preach all this stuff.

If an EMP scares you so much.... research your vehicle that you drive every day. Find out what components will keep it from operating.. buy spares of those parts... and store them someplace. Believe it or not.... there are usually few parts that will stop your vehicle from operating.
Where would I find a list of semiconductor devices needed for vehicle operation for a 2006 GMC 4WD 4.9 liter (smallest V-8 option I think it was 4.9 L) I love this truck and if I had some confidence in what parts to spare in a Faraday box, it would be great.
The Following User Says Thank You to Justme11 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-15-2019, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lasers View Post
What is your goal for a vehicle?

Do you want to:
Drive long distances fast with just yourself and little cargo?
Drive long distances with many people and tons of cargo?
Use the vehicle to do work and power other attachments?
Stay on roads?
Travel off road?
Run on any fuel available?
Fly?
Float?
Over snow?
In the city?
In the country?
In heat?
In cold?

I like the suggestion of an old tractor. With a tractor you can travel many places cars can't go or down the road, you can hook it to a trailer pull heavy loads of cargo or people and you can use it to pull and power any equipment you can get your hands on. If you want to go fast or cover large distances, a tractor probably isn't the vehicle you want.

Allis Chalmers was made in my area so they are everywhere. I can get all sorts of Allis WD or WD45's in running condition converted to points and 12 volt with a loader for $500-$600. Get one nice one with wide front and fix it up, then get a couple more(running) for parts. Then take the starter, generator, magneto/points and battery from one and put it in storage so they will be protected from an EMP. If you want to throw in an extra $200 you could buy an entire set of gaskets and rings for the entire tractor so when something happens you have everything you need to do a total rebuild and keep it running for another 70 years. Maybe even get the extra gaskets and fuel line to run it on kerosene.
I worked a farm with an old 2 cylinder John Deer tractor. Loved that tractor!
And once you get bugged out you can plant crops etc with the tractor if you have the implements. Brush hog, plow, harrows, corn planter, cabbage planter, wheat planter, fertilizer spreader, cultivator, potato digger.

Or you could get a bucket for the front or a snow plow. Power takeoff for running a sawmill or hay baler,
The Following User Says Thank You to Justme11 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-15-2019, 11:28 AM
SBs Resident Non Prepper

Quote:
Where would I find a list of semiconductor devices needed for vehicle operation for a 2006 GMC 4WD 4.9 liter (smallest V-8 option I think it was 4.9 L) I love this truck and if I had some confidence in what parts to spare in a Faraday box, it would be great.
Let me do some research
Old 05-15-2019, 11:40 AM
Survivor

Thanked 1,532 Times in 1,084 Posts

About EMP, I remember one report mentioned here:

Will Cars Still Run After an EMP? The Surprising Truth

I think the summary is that out of 50 cars made between 1987 and 2002 that were tested, three shut down. Of the 3, two restarted.

Many experienced problems with lights, radios, etc., but were still running.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ralfy For This Useful Post:
Old 05-15-2019, 11:46 AM
Hunter

Quote:
The problem with trying to store all the computers and sensors in a modern vehicle is: are you a good enough mechanic to be certain you could get it running again after switching everything out? With older vehicles, if you can get them to spark, you can get them to run.
The Following User Says Thank You to lasers For This Useful Post:
Old 05-15-2019, 11:54 AM
Hunter

Also how do you intend to fuel the vehicle? Diesels can be run on 100% used engine oil if you have easy access to spare injectors and are willing to take the risk of doing major damage to the engine. Gas engines are quite picky on what they will run on. Woodgas can be used to run most gas engines, even semi-modern ones with computers.
The Following User Says Thank You to lasers For This Useful Post:
Old 05-15-2019, 12:03 PM
Is a great cartridge.

Thanked 5,269 Times in 1,633 Posts

Anyone figuring to Bug'out on anything requiring consistent contact with the outer surface of earth, I fail to see that being successful. And.....yes that even includes animals. Tens of thousands of urinateded'off people with guns and thousands of cartridges, ain't going to cheer your wisdom as they are trapped in 86 miles of gridlock and rotting decomposing family members.......
The Following User Says Thank You to 6.8SPC For This Useful Post:
Old 05-15-2019, 12:37 PM
SBs Resident Non Prepper

Quote:
The problem with trying to store all the computers and sensors in a modern vehicle is: are you a good enough mechanic to be certain you could get it running again after switching everything out? With older vehicles, if you can get them to spark, you can get them to run.
Itís plug and play.... pretty easy

Older vehicles require more skills.... read my post above
Old 05-15-2019, 12:39 PM
SBs Resident Non Prepper

Quote:
Also how do you intend to fuel the vehicle? Diesels can be run on 100% used engine oil if you have easy access to spare injectors and are willing to take the risk of doing major damage to the engine. Gas engines are quite picky on what they will run on. Woodgas can be used to run most gas engines, even semi-modern ones with computers.
Well with all the disabled vehicles?.... lots of fuel will be available
Old 05-15-2019, 12:42 PM
Hunter

Thanked 1,803 Times in 661 Posts

Simple and easy guys. Find a used VW bug that is damn near fool proof for fixing and runs without issue. Or don't, there are others but the bug is a great vehicle to learn how to fix and twist a wrench on. It's affordable and fun.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Tdog02 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-15-2019, 12:58 PM
SBs Resident Non Prepper

Quote:
You have a 4.8 L. Member of the LS family. Very popular engine family. Lots of parts available. Highly interchangeable.
Hit up a pick your own part salvage yard. Or plentiful deals online at Amazon and Rock Auto

ENGINE

8 ignition coils
Cam sensor
Crank Sensor
8 fuel injectors
PCM....take to GM dealer and have it flashed
MAF sensor
4 Oxygen sensors....2 pre cat...2 post cat. Engine will run with failure..but MPG will suffer
Coolant temp sensor...same as O2 sensors...will effect MPG
Alternator and Starter
Fuel pump

Assorted relays...

Iím guessing you have Automatic transmission...
Shift solenoids
Range Selector switch
Pressure control solenoid
Output speed sensor

Body Control Module... programmed by dealer

Good set of wiring Schematics.... code reader ....

The LS engine is very popular... and has a wide interchange ability. Tons of spare parts to be found. How many miles on it now?

My 2005 has 230,000 miles on it.