RVs may be the ultimate bug out plan. - Page 5 - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

General Discussion Anything non-survival related - news and information, current events, general chit-chat stuff.

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
If your plan is to bug in, better make your home really Secure. Hick Industries Urban Survival 157 01-22-2019 06:51 AM
What do you plan to use for communications to secure your Bug In/Bug Out Location 3percentR Communications 33 10-04-2017 09:40 AM
Multiple vs Single Radio for Bug in & possible Bug out Vinland Communications 14 09-19-2017 04:46 AM
Health Insurance/Healthcare Plan....could this work? OhioMan General Discussion 11 05-16-2017 06:24 AM
What I Learned on the Road Deep_Six Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 38 10-25-2016 01:30 AM

Old 05-14-2019, 05:26 PM
Survivor

Thanked 15,479 Times in 8,177 Posts

Advertise Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedHawkSteel View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by wldwsel View Post
Whether you drag a camper or drive an RV, you need to figure how to "know" when SHTF is going to happen and leave the day before. Otherwise, you'll be "camping" in your driveway. You could cache food and fuel along the way to your final BOL, but the roads will be blocked within minutes or hours - probably for a long time.

WW

shoot straight - stay safe
Honestly, the motorhome would have to be on your property ready to go and not at some RV storage
Depends what you are facing. I have always known of the threat of a cyclone. I have known when there are high risk of fires. I am pretty sure if there was a way. Someone would mention it before hand.

Otherwise depends where the RV storage is. It might be past the traffic jams. And you could ride a bicycle out there or something.
Quick reply to this message
Old 05-14-2019, 05:33 PM
Survivor

Thanked 6,986 Times in 3,479 Posts

I think one has to be displaced before they understand the usefulness of a camper or camp trailer. A roof over your head a bed to sleep in a place to cook do dishes and a comfortable place to sit. OTOH you can be gouged by every Tom **** and Mary looking to make a buck on your misfortune.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Peter For This Useful Post:
Old 05-14-2019, 06:09 PM
Survivor

Thanked 5,952 Times in 2,762 Posts

Years ago we had a 36' fifth wheel and we sold it to our BIL and his wife, they lived in it on his in-laws property for three years without any complaints. It was great for vacations and a few times when power was out in our home, it had a generator, Water tank, propane for the Refrig, water heater and best of all a hot shower..........talking about it makes me want another.

FWIW: 5th Wheel and a 3/4 ton truck pulls great and has better turning radius than a bumper pull type of trailer, down side is making sure it doesn't leak, watching the height around trees and you loose space in the pickup bed.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kalifornia Guy For This Useful Post:
Old 05-14-2019, 06:52 PM
Hiker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalifornia Guy View Post
Years ago we had a 36' fifth wheel and we sold it to our BIL and his wife, they lived in it on his in-laws property for three years without any complaints. It was great for vacations and a few times when power was out in our home, it had a generator, Water tank, propane for the Refrig, water heater and best of all a hot shower..........talking about it makes me want another.

FWIW: 5th Wheel and a 3/4 ton truck pulls great and has better turning radius than a bumper pull type of trailer, down side is making sure it doesn't leak, watching the height around trees and you loose space in the pickup bed.
A 36' fifth wheel! That would be a chore at times. I love pulling 16-18'. Even 20' can be cumbersome at times. I don't think they make many fifth wheels that short. I have no idea really.

The pick up truck bed is pretty valuable real estate to give up. My own feeling is that pros should use fifth wheels and bumper pulls aren't so bad for the rest. Just having the fifth wheel hitch in place kind of wrecks the truck bed for many purposes. I've looked at several. While some can be removed in a few minutes - you lose strength when things are easily taken apart.

I have a group of bumper pulls. They work alright for me.
The Following User Says Thank You to softdown For This Useful Post:
Old 05-14-2019, 07:01 PM
Hiker

In no way, shape or form am I recommending an RV just in case one needs to bug out. I like to travel when things are good. Things would be good if the home sale ever goes through. Being treated like a yo-yo is a bit tortuous. Good thing I am somewhat used to torture.

I'd love to tell the buyer to take a hike and fix the house up some more. I can't tie my shoes in SW Florida without my GC getting the counties permission. I have a hearing pretty soon because I replaced some hurricane damaged drywall without the counties permission. Got to travel 2000 miles and beg for mercy then pay fines because I replaced bad drywall without a permit.

Did I mention that I hate the way that building code is used and abused in many places? Like everything else - it sounded like a great idea. Then governments did government things.

Dealing with building code has costs me about $70,000 on that house. It would have been roofed over a year ago but they would not allow the homeowner (me) to get a permit after I told I could get one in 2017.

So yea - I am interested in eventually relocating into an area that still respects the rights of homeowners. Many counties are more interested in SWAT raids and Civil asset forfeiture. Meaning they take your shiit.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to softdown For This Useful Post:
Old 05-14-2019, 10:10 PM
Survivor

Thanked 2,779 Times in 1,098 Posts
Default CAW

Quote:
Originally Posted by softdown View Post
In no way, shape or form am I recommending an RV just in case one needs to bug out. I like to travel when things are good. Things would be good if the home sale ever goes through. Being treated like a yo-yo is a bit tortuous. Good thing I am somewhat used to torture.

I'd love to tell the buyer to take a hike and fix the house up some more. I can't tie my shoes in SW Florida without my GC getting the counties permission. I have a hearing pretty soon because I replaced some hurricane damaged drywall without the counties permission. Got to travel 2000 miles and beg for mercy then pay fines because I replaced bad drywall without a permit.

Did I mention that I hate the way that building code is used and abused in many places? Like everything else - it sounded like a great idea. Then governments did government things.

Dealing with building code has costs me about $70,000 on that house. It would have been roofed over a year ago but they would not allow the homeowner (me) to get a permit after I told I could get one in 2017.

So yea - I am interested in eventually relocating into an area that still respects the rights of homeowners. Many counties are more interested in SWAT raids and Civil asset forfeiture. Meaning they take your shiit.

CAW

Im surprised at the building codes for garages in flood zones. Apparently it costs 5,000$ to cut a 12x12 hole to put in an air vent here.
Old 05-15-2019, 06:21 AM
Hiker

Quote:
CAW

Im surprised at the building codes for garages in flood zones. Apparently it costs 5,000$ to cut a 12x12 hole to put in an air vent here.
The costs go up a lot. Now you need:
1) A permit with fee and building plans. Maybe a before and after plan.
2) Licensed and insured contractors.
3) Completed in certain time frame.
4) Use only county approved materials - their criteria has no common sense whatsoever.
5) The county now decides they must inspect everything from plumbing to electrical to what have you.
6) Pass all inspections. Some are willy nilly.
Old 05-15-2019, 12:17 PM
Survivor

Quote:
The costs go up a lot. Now you need:
1) A permit with fee and building plans. Maybe a before and after plan.
2) Licensed and insured contractors.
3) Completed in certain time frame.
4) Use only county approved materials - their criteria has no common sense whatsoever.
5) The county now decides they must inspect everything from plumbing to electrical to what have you.
6) Pass all inspections. Some are willy nilly.
Which makes alternative living more attractive

I could live in a motorhome or a travel trailer for years. The problem a lot of people have though is finding a permanent place to park it.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RedHawkSteel For This Useful Post:
Old 05-15-2019, 12:31 PM
Hiker

Quote:
I have a relative who has a 45 coach, powered by a 600 HP 18 liter Cummins (I think). It costs 462$ for an oil change, as the engine takes 40 something quarts of oil.
Then it probably doesn't need very frequent oil changes? I will get yelled at for this but I don't think oil always quickly goes bad sitting in an oil pan. Depends on the environment - as with most everything.
Old 05-15-2019, 12:48 PM
Hiker

Quote:
Originally Posted by manny View Post
Ive worked in truck and diesel shops most of my career and weve had a whole lot of RVs through from class Cs all the way to entertainer coaches built on Prevost & MCI chassis. Other than some of the very high end units they were almost universally terribly built, falling apart from day one and pretty much all of them absolutely sucked to work on.

If you really want a rugged unit decent to work on for a self contained RV Id start with either a heavy duty cargo van or if you need more room, a box truck built on a one ton or medium duty chassis. Those vehicles are built to go hundreds of thousands of miles in hard use. If you find a used one out of a good fleet theyve usually been well maintained.

As to gas vs diesel, despite working with diesels for a living, if I were buying anything newer than a 2007 than Id probably stick with gas due to the new style DPF/DEF emissions and the heavily computerized nature of the newer engines. An oil change/service alone is generally several hundred dollars and if you need to do any work on the emissions or anything on the engine, and you WILL eventually, the price can quickly escalate into many thousands of dollars. Be warned even if you buy anything older, those vehicles are now at least a dozen years old or more and even well maintained vehicles start showing their age at that point.

If you look on YouTube or the internet youll see some pretty nice/functional conversions done on old Ryder/Penske/whatever box vans and the owners generally dont have a ton of money in. We bought an old ATT maintenance worker van with a Chevy van chassis and utility box rear with an on board diesel generator for $6000 or $7000 to use for a mobile service truck at work. V8 gas engine, fairly rugged chassis lots of storage but youd have to tear some storage out or get creative for a bed etc...

As to the camper build out, personally Id stay totally away from any black water tankage and go with a composting toilet like they use on sailboats or a simple casette set up or even a bucket with plastic bags etc.. and dispose of the waste by burying etc.. Also keep the water/gray water systems a simple as possible. Set up to use minimal water and have low electrical demands and youll be able to stay self sufficient much easier. The more complexity you build in, the more to go wrong.

Myself, my choice is a 4x4 Toyota Tacoma double cab long bed with a high top ARE MX camper shell. Ill eventually get a small trailer, either an enclosed cargo type or ideally a high clearance teardrop to allow for some off road capability. KISS and avoid complexity to control costs and make it easy to do.

Just my two cents, worth what you paid.
Now that is a valuable perspective given that you worked on the beasts. Seems clear to me that a mobile home is about 1/2 as robust as a decent stick built home. With an RV likely being about 1/2 as robust as a mobile home. Then you go shaking and vibrating down the road. While introducing rapid changes in temperature and humidity.

I have a '93 GMC 14' box truck. It is rough on the exterior. The 454 purrs like a kitten however. I'd estimate the rear axle housing at 14" - pretty stout. It drives just fine - the stereo is kick azz too.

Wouldn't take much to make it camping ready. Camping style 5 gallon cushioned bucket is imminently practical. There are issues with carrying around black water in plastic pipes hanging off the bottom. Been there - good thing the tank was empty!

Propane stoves work, well, really great! Same with propane heaters such as the Buddy indoor approved heaters.

Old used entertainment center can be used as a closet. Small set of used kitchen cabinets for storage and food. Foam mattress for a bed. Some sturdy 20 gallon plastic water containers for water. Hmmm.
Old 05-15-2019, 01:12 PM
No Longer Rambling

Thanked 8,710 Times in 2,099 Posts

Quote:
Then it probably doesn't need very frequent oil changes? I will get yelled at for this but I don't think oil always quickly goes bad sitting in an oil pan. Depends on the environment - as with most everything.
You would be wrong. Especially in high humidity areas. Additionally, if you leave an engine sitting too long without running it, the seals go bad. I have sen an engine locked up with rust from sitting too long.

Read this for the effects of moisture on oil
https://www.azic.com/moisture-in-oil...e-headedbeast/
The Following User Says Thank You to A_SonofLiberty For This Useful Post:
Old 05-15-2019, 01:42 PM
www.jerrydyoung.com

Thanked 62,192 Times in 8,929 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Thread 
Total Awards: 1

I took a look at the OP again after reading the last few pages of post. Here is what I found:

RVs may be the ultimate bug out plan.

1) Nothing about full-time living in the RV, now, before the bug-out is needed.
2) Nothing about moving the RV time after time after the bug-out is completed.
3) Nothing about needing a multi $100,000 RV for the bug-out.
4) Nothing about trying to take the RV places it cannot go during the bug-out.
5) Nothing about filling the RV full to the brim with bug-out supplies and just letting it sit until something happens.
6) Nothing about using an RV as the only possibility for a bug-out.
7) Nothing about the possible bug-out only being for end of the world scenarios.

Makes me wonder why there were so many posts about all those subjects. Instead of discussions on how one could use an RV as part of a bug-out plan.

Hm... Curious.

Just my opinion.
Old 05-15-2019, 02:22 PM
Hiker

Quote:
Originally Posted by A_SonofLiberty View Post
You would be wrong. Especially in high humidity areas. Additionally, if you leave an engine sitting too long without running it, the seals go bad. I have sen an engine locked up with rust from sitting too long.

Read this for the effects of moisture on oil
https://www.azic.com/moisture-in-oil...e-headedbeast/
This is the worlds highest alpine desert. Comparing this area to Florida is problematic. Why I said - "Depends on the environment - as with most everything."
Old 05-15-2019, 02:33 PM
Hiker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry D Young View Post
I took a look at the OP again after reading the last few pages of post. Here is what I found:

I mentioned gaining experiences as a road warrior becoming useful.
You start up the engine and press the gas. The beauty of an RV.
You guys go overboard. This is for recreational travel. All we really need is food, water, warm, dry and fuel. The rest is speculation.
Hence the toad, dinghy, towed 4WD. Or 4WD truck with camper.
5) Nothing about filling the RV full to the brim with bug-out supplies and just letting it sit until something happens.
That was made clear at the start. Without common sense one may as well quit now.
Why only have one option? That would be ridiculous.
7) Nothing about the possible bug-out only being for end of the world scenarios.
Wut?

Makes me wonder why there were so many posts about all those subjects. Instead of discussions on how one could use an RV as part of a bug-out plan.

The discussion is a couple days old and ongoing. We are evaluating RV's now - not writing a book about them.

Just my opinion.
Your opinions are always interesting. You spend a lot of time deliberating the possibilities. Now can you tell us about your last interstate trip?
Ten characters.
Old 05-15-2019, 02:42 PM
Hiker

Take something like this for $10,000. A 29' 1995 Winnebago with 86,000 miles on it. https://denver.craigslist.org/rvs/d/...887536634.html

For now I am going to see how things go with my trucks little pop up camper and throwing supplies in my 14' box truck. My gawd - that truck looks like no fun.
Old 05-15-2019, 03:18 PM
Survivor

Quote:

2) Nothing about moving the RV time after time after the bug-out is c
3) Nothing about needing a multi $100,000 RV for the bug-out

Hm... Curious.

Just my opinion.

like 4 out of the 7 issues about bugging out in an rv were listed or alluded to in this thread.
The Following User Says Thank You to RedHawkSteel For This Useful Post:
Old 05-15-2019, 03:21 PM
Survivor

Quote:
Take something like this for $10,000. A 29' 1995 Winnebago with 86,000 miles on it. https://denver.craigslist.org/rvs/d/...887536634.html

For now I am going to see how things go with my trucks little pop up camper and throwing supplies in my 14' box truck. My gawd - that truck looks like no fun.
for its age it looks clean, I would really inspect it for a good 1+ hour if not more though

make sure theres no leaks or molds

the 454 might be a little underpowered (290 hp?) for that big of a rig
Old 05-15-2019, 03:38 PM
Semper Fi

Thanked 8,211 Times in 3,068 Posts

A bit of info that could come in handy if RV is to be used for bug out. A Ford chassis will sit the coach up higher giving a bit more ground clearance for when things get rough as compared to one on a Chevy.
Old 05-15-2019, 03:57 PM
SBs Resident Non Prepper

Thanked 7,777 Times in 2,998 Posts

Quote:

This discussion could get big. It could get ridiculed and dismissed. It could get ignored. We shall see.
Looks like the OP was expecting things to get big... probably even sidetracked
Old 05-15-2019, 06:09 PM
Swirl Herder

Thanked 6,842 Times in 2,047 Posts

Quote:

Hm... Curious.

Just my opinion.
Jerry. There are two main reasons why

1) This is not really a survivalist discussion site anymore
2) Even the OP has been derailing this thread with discussions about building codes in Florida!

I am a survivalist, come here to read about and post about survivalism and I have quite a good capability for vehicle bug out (more secondary than primary plan). I also have good resources for PAW vehicle mobility. I posted in this thread a couple of days ago and have been watching this thread since but I don't have any thing to add to where it has drifted.

That is the problem with diluting the focus of an internet discussion board - it is self perpetuating.
The Following User Says Thank You to hardcalibres For This Useful Post: