Does anybody here own a combination convection/microwave oven? - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Food and water Discussion on food and water storage, water purification and related topics.

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
FREE Pots of on purchasing All-American Sun Oven |Don't miss out SUN OVEN season sale JC Refuge Safecastle 1 10-04-2018 04:00 PM
Gas oven with "outlet" on top kotterr General Discussion 12 06-28-2018 04:44 PM
Preparing food in my woodstove oven MyPrepperLife Farming, Gardening & Homesteading 32 02-16-2018 03:08 PM
Food storage fats, oils, and essential fatty acids NY Min Food and water 53 12-30-2017 01:15 PM
Stored canned goods in oven, accidentally pre-heated jfone Food and water 9 12-29-2016 12:48 PM

Old 03-23-2019, 05:53 PM
MyPrepperLife

Thanked 4,346 Times in 1,788 Posts
Default Does anybody here own a combination convection/microwave oven?

Advertise Here

I am really tempted to buy this one for my off-grid house:

https://www.kitchenaid.com/major-app...tate=pg:2/ct:r

It would save lots of space in the small kitchen I plan to build this summer. What I mean is that if I had a propane cooktop plus this electric oven, it would take up less space than a propane range plus a microwave, which means I would have more cabinet space.

Seems like I could power it with the small solar-electric system I'm planning (6.5 KWH of storage in lithium ion batteries, 3000W/4500W surge inverter).

The combo convection/microwave oven I linked to has gotten good reviews.

Am I kidding myself? Is it stupid to consider having an electric oven in an off-grid house? I'm only considering it because convection ovens bake faster than conventional ovens and because I don't use an oven very often - only a few times per month, if that.
Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to MyPrepperLife For This Useful Post:
Old 03-23-2019, 05:59 PM
Yup

Thanked 1,427 Times in 405 Posts

I have a toaster convection oven that i use constantly. That works great and it's compact.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Pabstman For This Useful Post:
Old 03-23-2019, 06:16 PM
MyPrepperLife

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pabstman View Post
I have a toaster convection oven that i use constantly. That works great and it's compact.
Thanks, Pabstman.

What kinds of foods to do you bake and roast in the toaster convection oven?

What model do you have?

Are you off the grid?

Old 03-23-2019, 06:26 PM
Trying to Catch-up

Thanked 34,926 Times in 14,947 Posts

I have one (GE Profile) that is over my stove/oven. It is a microwave/convection and it is the second one I've purchased. The first one I left in the house I moved from. I love it and the only thing I won't bake in it is cookies because my baking sheets don't fit. http://www.homedepot.com/p/GE-Profil...DKBB/207025692
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to kokosmom2 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-23-2019, 06:28 PM
Hunter

Thanked 2,280 Times in 844 Posts

We have owned 3 micro convection ovens. They are not as "good" as a regular convection oven (we have one of those also)--which my wife uses daily for baking. But for a small over, I think better than a toaster oven or just a microwave. (caveats below),

We currently have a "Highpoint" in a small RV. These are 1.1 cu feet, cost less than $200. They are 1000 watt units, and will run well off an inverter. The weakness is grilling--we carry a small toaster over to toast bread, and rolls. The top element does work--but you have to put the items on a metal rack.

We rarely use the convection part of the 1500 watt GE Profile (now over 18 years old, and still working well). But before we had a second convection over, we used it more often.

We recently changed our small boat (25 foot pilot house), to all electric cooking. We have a 900 watt microwave (only) over, and two induction burners. We have 200 amp hours of LiFePO4 batteries to run these, and chest type refrigerator and freezer. We just got back from a 3 week trip off the grid, and this combination worked very well--just had to "fry" the toast....We used a Victron 2500 watt 12 volt pure sine wave inverter, which also has a 80 amp battery charger. We also charge from a 44 amp 12 volt alternator, thru a Sterling Battery to Battery charger (this assures that we have the needed voltage for the Li ion batteries, and isolates them from the usual 12 volt (lower than the Lithium battery at 13.3 volts floating voltage), lighting etc house battery system.

I think that the Micro convection would be worthwhile, considering what else you have. I don't know what you are doing for refrigeration, lighting, well pumps etc--which will require larger loads.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to thataway For This Useful Post:
Old 03-23-2019, 06:34 PM
MyPrepperLife

Quote:
Originally Posted by kokosmom2 View Post
I have one (GE Profile) that is over my stove/oven. It is a microwave/convection and it is the second one I've purchased. The first one I left in the house I moved from. I love it and the only thing I won't bake in it is cookies because my baking sheets don't fit. http://www.homedepot.com/p/GE-Profil...DKBB/207025692
Awsome, kokosmom2! The one you linked to uses even less power than the one I linked to, and the one you linked to costs less.

Do you roast poultry and meat in yours?

Do you bake casseroles, cakes, and pies in yours?
Old 03-23-2019, 06:43 PM
MyPrepperLife

Quote:
Originally Posted by thataway View Post
We have owned 3 micro convection ovens. They are not as "good" as a regular convection oven (we have one of those also)--which my wife uses daily for baking. But for a small over, I think better than a toaster oven or just a microwave. (caveats below),

We currently have a "Highpoint" in a small RV. These are 1.1 cu feet, cost less than $200. They are 1000 watt units, and will run well off an inverter. The weakness is grilling--we carry a small toaster over to toast bread, and rolls. The top element does work--but you have to put the items on a metal rack.

We rarely use the convection part of the 1500 watt GE Profile (now over 18 years old, and still working well). But before we had a second convection over, we used it more often.

We recently changed our small boat (25 foot pilot house), to all electric cooking. We have a 900 watt microwave (only) over, and two induction burners. We have 200 amp hours of LiFePO4 batteries to run these, and chest type refrigerator and freezer. We just got back from a 3 week trip off the grid, and this combination worked very well--just had to "fry" the toast....We used a Victron 2500 watt 12 volt pure sine wave inverter, which also has a 80 amp battery charger. We also charge from a 44 amp 12 volt alternator, thru a Sterling Battery to Battery charger (this assures that we have the needed voltage for the Li ion batteries, and isolates them from the usual 12 volt (lower than the Lithium battery at 13.3 volts floating voltage), lighting etc house battery system.

I think that the Micro convection would be worthwhile, considering what else you have. I don't know what you are doing for refrigeration, lighting, well pumps etc--which will require larger loads.
Thank you so much, thataway! This is exactly the kind of info I hoped somebody would post here.

THIS IS MY SETUP:
Refrigeration: 12 volt fridge and 12 volt freezer. Only one of these two units is installed currently, but I estimate total daily usage for both will be about 800 watts.

Well pump: 110 V AC. Draws ~1100 watts. No surge. Probably doesn't use more than 250 watts per day.

Lighting: I have 9 watt LED bulbs throughout the house (lumens roughly equivalent to 60 watt incandescent bulbs).

Office equipment, electronic entertainment, cell phone, and Internet service probably use approximately a KWH per day.

Propane for cooking and hot water.

Woodstove for heat. Propane wall furnace for backup heat (does not require any electricity).
You said

Quote:
They are not as "good" as a regular convection oven
In what way?
Old 03-23-2019, 06:59 PM
Trying to Catch-up

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyPrepperLife View Post
Awsome, kokosmom2! The one you linked to uses even less power than the one I linked to, and the one you linked to costs less.

Do you roast poultry and meat in yours?

Do you bake casseroles, cakes, and pies in yours?

Yes for the meat roasting in it.
Yes for the casseroles and cakes, no for the pie cuz I don't bake a lot of pies...just pumpkin for Thanksgiving.

It did take me a little while to get used to putting metal in a microwave but that was all in my head! LOL

I don't know the difference between a convection oven that Thataway is talking about and this one, as I've never had a convection oven.
The Following User Says Thank You to kokosmom2 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-24-2019, 12:07 AM
Survivor

Thanked 3,373 Times in 1,891 Posts

I have heard but not confirmed that microwave units built in next to oven tend to have circuit board problems because they were not designed to take the heat.
The Following User Says Thank You to dmas For This Useful Post:
Old 03-25-2019, 02:31 PM
Hunter

Thanked 2,280 Times in 844 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmas View Post
I have heard but not confirmed that microwave units built in next to oven tend to have circuit board problems because they were not designed to take the heat.
That would be contrary to our experience with over 17 years with a combination GE Profile, and about 12 years with the Sharp in another RV we recently sold.

Quote:
I don't know the difference between a convection oven that Thataway is talking about and this one, as I've never had a convection oven.
We had a single wall over, and removed it. We gave up some cabinet space and put in stacked GE ovens--the bottom oven was a regular oven and the top was a connection over, the same size as the regular oven (Both interior demensions: 24" wide, 16" high and 18" deep). My wife does a lot of baking--and she wanted the larger convection oven, than what was available on the GE Profile. (which we kept).
The Following User Says Thank You to thataway For This Useful Post:
Old 03-25-2019, 03:44 PM
ICBM Warrior

I agree with kokosmom!!! This is a fantastic oven. I've baked in it, roasted in it. All with good results, once you get used to it.

As for the metal in a microwave, the entire inside is made of metal!! That is one thing to note. If I remember correctly, you can't use traditional oven cleaner in it. If things splatter, it bakes on rather quickly and becomes hard to remove. I used to use the powdered stainless steel cleaner. Make it easy and remember to cover things!

Overall, a great choice for saving counter space. If not, as someone else mentioned there are now good countertop toaster/convection ovens out there.

Quote:
Yes for the meat roasting in it.
Yes for the casseroles and cakes, no for the pie cuz I don't bake a lot of pies...just pumpkin for Thanksgiving.

It did take me a little while to get used to putting metal in a microwave but that was all in my head! LOL

The Following User Says Thank You to jeff_k For This Useful Post:
Old 03-25-2019, 06:30 PM
MyPrepperLife

Thanks for the input, thataway and jeff_k. This potential plan of mine appears more and more viable as this thread evolves.
Old 03-25-2019, 07:08 PM
Trying to Catch-up

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff_k View Post
I agree with kokosmom!!! This is a fantastic oven. I've baked in it, roasted in it. All with good results, once you get used to it.

As for the metal in a microwave, the entire inside is made of metal!! That is one thing to note. If I remember correctly, you can't use traditional oven cleaner in it. If things splatter, it bakes on rather quickly and becomes hard to remove. I used to use the powdered stainless steel cleaner. Make it easy and remember to cover things!

Overall, a great choice for saving counter space. If not, as someone else mentioned there are now good countertop toaster/convection ovens out there.
I would never even think to use oven cleaner in it. But when things get stuck on, I just boil water in a 4 cup measuring cup in it for 3-4 min and the steam gets stuck stuff loose
The Following User Says Thank You to kokosmom2 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-25-2019, 07:29 PM
ICBM Warrior

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff_k View Post

I would never even think to use oven cleaner in it. But when things get stuck on, I just boil water in a 4 cup measuring cup in it for 3-4 min and the steam gets stuck stuff loose
True!!!! I used that method, then polished it all up inside as well.

As for oven cleaner, I've been known to try and kill a fly with a sledge hammer...lol.
The Following User Says Thank You to jeff_k For This Useful Post:
Old 04-12-2019, 10:48 PM
Golfer

Thanked 1,952 Times in 1,159 Posts

Cool thread. hard to think of a microwave as efficient when that magnetron clunks and starts humming but everything is relative I guess.
Old 05-15-2019, 11:09 AM
MyPrepperLife

Hi again, everybody.

I am still on the hunt for an oven for my off-grid house. As discussed earlier in this thread, my original plan was to install a propane-fueled oven, but the idea of having an electric oven instead is appealing because I could operate it for free with power from my solar-electric system. Of course, this wouldn't be a good plan unless I found an oven that doesn't require much electricity. Today on the Internet I did find several ovens that might work out. Here is a link:

https://www.labdepotinc.com/p-13532-...tory-ovens.php

The thing is, these ovens are made for use in a lab, not a kitchen - but I'm wondering if there is any reason one of these would not work well for baking and roasting food.

Has anybody here used one of these ovens, and if so, is there a reason it wouldn't work well in a kitchen?
Old 05-15-2019, 11:23 AM
Prepared

Ours is a kitchenaid we got around 1998
The oven works...... but you’re limited at to the size of food you’re cooking
The Following User Says Thank You to Surveyor For This Useful Post:
Old 05-15-2019, 11:28 AM
MyPrepperLife

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surveyor View Post
Ours is a kitchenaid we got around 1998
The oven works...... but you’re limited at to the size of food you’re cooking
Thanks. Just to clarify: are you saying you're using a 1998 model lab oven for baking and roasting food?