Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Going broke saving money on cheap knives! real wowwee Knives, Swords & Axes 12 12-28-2018 08:29 PM
Three Low Cost But Good Quality Skinning Knives AllOutdoor.com AllOutdoor.com 0 06-28-2018 01:00 PM
Release: Hogue Knives Announces Line of SIG SAUER Branded Knives AllOutdoor.com AllOutdoor.com 0 05-10-2018 02:30 PM
Adventure Knives: From Fieldcraft to Kitchen | SHOT 2017 AllOutdoor.com AllOutdoor.com 0 01-22-2017 11:30 AM
A lesson on CHEAP knives - Frost cutlery WolfSpring Knives, Swords & Axes 55 01-10-2017 07:12 PM

Old 05-07-2019, 11:21 PM
Patiently Waiting

Thanked 13,189 Times in 4,060 Posts

Advertise Here

Half day hike, when I know Iím only going to be gone for lunch and a mobile phone call will get me help within an hour, SAK Tinker. I have a bum bag that holds a couple of water bottles and enough room for a snack, wallet, phone, essential first aid gear and a rain poncho.

If itís a full day hike that may go beyond sunset then I take the Osprey Stratos 24L with enough gear to survive the night if need be, including a Cold Steel Kukri machete. Itís heavier than a knife, but itíll chop wood, help start a fire, build a shelter super quick, and kill any wild animal that might want to eat me. If Iím going into thick bush Iíll take an 18 inch Latin or Bolo machete with me instead.

Iím not really a fan of large knives. They donít do as good a job for fine work as a small knife, and theyíre just not as useful as a machete. I only own one because it looked tacticool.

I have a Cold Steel Finn Hawk that goes along on camping trips and some hikes. Itís a handy little blade thatís proven itself worthy to be slid inside the pack next to a water bottle on long hikes.
Quick reply to this message
Old 05-10-2019, 03:24 AM
Human bean of planet Urf

Thanked 4,653 Times in 2,222 Posts

Old Hickory boner or butcher or slicer in a belt sheath and any of about twenty camp-type knives in my pocket. I prefer a good old Kamp King but a Swiss Army Knife or a Schrade or a Marbles or a Kabar camp knife are fine.
Old 05-10-2019, 05:01 AM
Simple Goat Herder

Thanked 26,199 Times in 7,008 Posts

1 to 5 miles? Just my EDC/duty rescue knife. That's more of a casual walk.

If I'm going on an actual hike in the woods I'll have my pack with at least a kukri if not a full USGI machete for the heavy work.

Our GHBs all have some sort of big stiletto fighting knife as a backup in case we don't have a gun for whatever reason. Such as:

Old 05-10-2019, 09:43 PM
MAGA

Thanked 14,462 Times in 4,192 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colt View Post
How do you like this knife?
Is it decent quality?
I like the looks of it plan to be getting one soon.
Old 05-13-2019, 06:39 PM
Simple Goat Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by harbinger1972 View Post
How do you like this knife?
Is it decent quality?
I like the looks of it plan to be getting one soon.
It's great. Understand that is is very large though. It's definitely a fighting stiletto. It's a stabbing weapon and it is long enough to go all the way through vital organs and give you a big reach advantage over someone with a normal sized pocket knife. However it folds up just small enough to fit in a slash pocket. It's also razor sharp and very light for a blade of this length. The spring assist is exceptionally good as well. It flies open in a hurry with very little effort.
The Following User Says Thank You to Colt For This Useful Post:
Old 05-13-2019, 08:27 PM
MAGA

Quote:
It's great. Understand that is is very large though. It's definitely a fighting stiletto. It's a stabbing weapon and it is long enough to go all the way through vital organs and give you a big reach advantage over someone with a normal sized pocket knife. However it folds up just small enough to fit in a slash pocket. It's also razor sharp and very light for a blade of this length. The spring assist is exceptionally good as well. It flies open in a hurry with very little effort.
Thanks for your reply.
I can't believe the price on this. $13.60
Found this with a wood handle.
https://www.wildbillwholesale.com/ta...ng-knife-wood/

Old 05-13-2019, 09:41 PM
Simple Goat Herder

Quote:
Thanks for your reply.
I can't believe the price on this. $13.60
Found this with a wood handle.
https://www.wildbillwholesale.com/ta...ng-knife-wood/

Yep. It was more expensive when I got it. For some reason the price has been dropping pretty steadily. Not sure why. Maybe it's the wood. The black one's $21.
Old 05-14-2019, 12:41 AM
MAGA

Quote:
Yep. It was more expensive when I got it. For some reason the price has been dropping pretty steadily. Not sure why. Maybe it's the wood. The black one's $21.
$13.19
https://www.wildbillwholesale.com/ta...heckered-grip/
Says $9.99 or 3 for $8.74 each while supplies last.in the description though. I may call them and see what's going on with that.

Not seeing them on amazon either.
Old 05-14-2019, 02:13 AM
Simple Goat Herder

Quote:
$13.19
https://www.wildbillwholesale.com/ta...heckered-grip/
Says $9.99 or 3 for $8.74 each while supplies last.in the description though. I may call them and see what's going on with that.

Not seeing them on amazon either.
I'm actually looking at amazon. Oddly enough it is hard to find in a search. Can't find the wood version at all. Maybe they ended production and they're just clearing the old stock for new models.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B071JPFXDQ/
Old 05-15-2019, 06:32 AM

Estwing tomahawk, tops cut 4.0, leatherman rebar.
Old 05-18-2019, 07:42 PM
Born 120 years too late.

Thanked 1,948 Times in 384 Posts
Default INEXPENSIVE..NOT cheap

SO.. been dragging around the woods for about 50+ years as far as going into the heavy and deep.
Have carried a LOT of steel.
BUT
lesson learned... about 20 years ago I was doing my solo thing and was crossing a scree slide on a mountain in Montana. Had my pack, my good shoes, and my REAL GENUINE RUSSELL knife I paid a good bit for. And then I discovered the "slide" in scree slide.
A few tumbles, lots of skidding and laying on my pack instead of grinding down flesh I managed to come to a stop. Took inventory and while most things survived... the Russell was ripped from the sheath.I forget the exact figure I paid back then but it was North of $200.
SO,
I spent the next few hours tempting fate and searching the slide until I reclaimed my treasure.
When I returned home I sold the Russell to someone who wanted it way more than me and I started looking for blades that had quality but you wouldn't feel bad if you lost it in the bush.

My present blades of choice are the Cold Steel BUSHMAN Bowie and the Cold Steel Black Bear Bowie.
They are inexpensive but NOT CHEAP. They take an edge that will shave hair and they will take abuse. I have used one of the Bushman knives for a thrower for years. Throwing is a very quick way to break a knife . The one piece construction is impervious to anything I have been able to do to it. Last time caribou hunting I field dressed and skinned 3 caribou and still didn't have to resharpen the Bushman.

Right now at the knife center you can get a bushman for $16 and change and a Black BEar for $23.
Do not let the price make you think they are cheap, they aren't. They work.
I have 6 Bushman knives last count. The wife swiped one for kitchen duty, the rest are in various packs or vehicles.

They have been all over Canada and Alaska and the great thing about them other than they are tougher than a fifty cent steak is if you do lose one.. it isn't wallet crushing.

The sheaths are a little limited but what can you expect.. for the price you are paying.

https://www.knifecenter.com/item/CS9...ath-fire-steel

https://www.knifecenter.com/item/CS9...-cor-ex-sheath
Old 05-18-2019, 09:35 PM
Deplorable Me

Thanked 25,950 Times in 8,934 Posts

Hiking ... SAK Champ. Mostly used to cut apple for snack. Recently needed pliers to take out knots in friend's sneakers. (No wood processing while hiking.)

Camping ... Yesterday, I chopped down a 15 foot tall, 5" diameter tree and got it fire ready using no knife at all.

Besides a chain saw for a few cuts up the truck, I used all Fisker's products to make it all fire ready: Lopper (double thumb thick, 2"), pruner (pinkie thick, <1/3") and a small hatchet when there were many leaves stemming from a solid branch. Easy peasy.

I guess I am not a knife guy because these other tools (including axes not used yesterday) make a knife obsolete - for wood processing. (I might need a fixed blade knife IF I were fishing while camping. The SAK or any folder is sufficient for misc purposes.)

If you were to use a knife to prepare this tree for fire, I estimate it would take 20-50 x longer/more energy/more calories.
Old 05-18-2019, 10:47 PM
Trapper

I edc a ZT 0561 in my right front pants pocket, and I carry an Esee 3 or 4 in my pack. I always keep an Esee light machete close at hand whenever I’m outside.
Old Yesterday, 12:19 AM
Hiker

Thanked 1,122 Times in 417 Posts

The skrama in use, bushcraft type work.

https://youtu.be/MxbNupxUygM