Any one into spears? - Page 3 - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Knives, Swords & Axes Survival knives, multi-tools, gerber, buck, cold steel, leather man.....

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Weedinhoe's 2018-2019 Garden Weedinhoe Farming, Gardening & Homesteading 1122 Today 12:02 PM
Cold Steel European Boar Spear albertjohnson Primitive Weapons, Bows and Crossbows 28 12-18-2018 08:33 AM
Does stab-weapon get stuck? StevieKiwi Knives, Swords & Axes 27 06-22-2018 12:49 AM
Watch: Make a PVC Atlatl & Flaming Spears AllOutdoor.com AllOutdoor.com 0 10-05-2017 11:30 PM
A spear good for anything? mygunisjammed Knives, Swords & Axes 45 01-17-2017 07:59 PM

Old 02-12-2019, 01:22 PM
TEXAS!!!

Thanked 11,169 Times in 4,305 Posts

Advertise Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justme11 View Post
Watch the video again.

That spear does not come dull. It is insanely sharp. At first I thought the spear glanced off the deer.

What I think happened however, and is supported by the guy's comments upon walking up the the deer (he said the deer was almost cut in half), it that it struck deep and then sliced completely out the side of the deer.

the handle is heavy, and if dropped from a height would be devastating.

I believe there is a video showing a guy killing a large bear with one.
Yes, insanely sharp! I have one of these. They don't bend either. I've put an even sharper edge on mine.

I don't advocate throwing it however. The spear, is a combat weapon. Thrusting and slashing. Years ago, I killed hogs that were snared. That's what it's for.

I have the same spear in the video. used as a slashing weapon, it would no doubt decapitate an animal as large as a deer.
Quick reply to this message
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dragunov For This Useful Post:
Old 02-12-2019, 05:31 PM
Prepared

An interesting tool the spear . I don’t have any experience with a spear but I’m thinking
About it . As a survival tool it does offer many ideas
Old 02-12-2019, 06:08 PM
Hunter

Thanked 2,567 Times in 1,180 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaston444 View Post

I found my own -truly horizontal- throws, with tied-up knives buried 4" into wood out to 40 feet, much more interesting, and less cruel... I was surprised by the accuracy, and power, without any practice...:

That (cheap Chinese copy) one got buried so deep, at 40 feet, it had to be left behind...

Gaston
It seems that there may have been a bit of magic involved here.

Sent from my SM-J337P using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to Cliff Nieporte For This Useful Post:

Old 02-12-2019, 11:38 PM
French Prometheus unbound

Thanked 59,251 Times in 18,288 Posts

Found an article that might be of interest.

Top 4 hunting spears.

https://ogoutdoors.com/best-hunting-spears/

Hog hunt

Old 02-13-2019, 12:12 AM
Hunter/Survivor

I have a Cold Steel blade that has a hollow open handle that can be used as a spear head. Its in my cache with other stuff on my land. After reading these posts I have decided to cut me some Spear heads out of some sheet steel that I have. I will cut some notches and maybe use the drill press to drill a hole in the tail end of the spear so I can bind and/or drive a nail through it into the staff. keep em in my truck box and one in my hunting vest in case I have to spear me a skin walker in the high desert....
Old 02-14-2019, 09:50 AM
TEXAS!!!

Thanked 11,169 Times in 4,305 Posts

Quote:
That boar spear head looks too broad and massive, and not acute enough. It also comes dull... As a result of the head width, it glanced off that poor deer who suffered a lot, in part because of the unfavourable downward angle of the drop-"throw", which displayed only the glance-prone tightly curved back bones... It was probably well sharpened, so the deer likely died a slow death from a broad surface injury...

Dropping this thing straight down is imposed by the massive head... So without a whole (several?) day in a massive hunting stand, waiting for all the possible advantages to line up perfectly, it is a rather pointless display... Leave spear throwing for target practice. I found my own -truly horizontal- throws, with tied-up knives buried 4" into wood out to 40 feet, much more interesting, and less cruel... I was surprised by the accuracy, and power, without any practice...: Quite easy and intuitive... I doubt the "lethality" would actually net a deer, because deers are twitchy and horizontally aware, so they would see the throw come in and sprint(!), but if really needed, I guess traps would be more practical than standing all day in a hunting stand...

That (cheap Chinese copy) one got buried so deep, at 40 feet, it had to be left behind...:

Still beats dropping an anvil from a crane on some animal I'd say...

Gaston
Mine came sharp enough to hew a watermelon completely in two, as smooth as butter. After an hour of me honing it, you could EASILY shave with it.
The Following User Says Thank You to Dragunov For This Useful Post:
Old 02-16-2019, 03:19 PM

I have a cold steel bushman. It is simply a fair sized knife with a hollow handle that works great to put on the end of a shaft and you have a spear. I have drilled a hole into my spear shaft and have a small thumb screw i twist in. Holds real well

Probably not as good as a dedicated spear but more utilitarian as it can be used as a knife or a spear easily with really no modification. And they are cheap.

https://www.amazon.com/Cold-Steel-Bu...SIN=B00BD4W54Q
The Following User Says Thank You to roundhouse For This Useful Post:
Old 02-18-2019, 10:02 PM
www.jerrydyoung.com

Thanked 61,977 Times in 8,875 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Thread 
Total Awards: 1

As part of my sharps system for use when firearms ammunition and components needed to be tightly conserved, I intend to obtain and use a set of edged devices.

Besides the common ones often used now, such as a tomahawk, Bowie type knife (in my case a Mediterranean style with ~ 13" blade), and machete, I intend to have a sword (a Cold Steel 1860 heavy saber, plus a few others for specific situations), and several 'spears'. I put the spears in quotes as some of the items, while they do fall under the general class name of spears, are more specialized, with their own names.

One that is a spear would be a classic thrusting spear. There are many types designed over the centuries. These are not made for throwing, though they sometimes were. They are what the name implies. Thrusting spears. Kept in hand when used, often in rank formations, with shields. A somewhat specialized version was created for use specifically for hunting and/or protection from several types of dangerous game that could be found in several different areas of the world.

And since it works just as well as a defensive weapon against humans, as well as its intended purpose, I have chosen it so I do not need to have several different options. It is normally called a boar spear, and Cold Steel makes an excellent one. What makes it so useful to hunt boar, and to protect yourself from them, is the cross-bar behind the head of the spear. This is a stopper so the head will not go all they through, allowing the boar to be right up to you, often with plenty of fight left in it to slash with its tushes and scrape with its hooves.

The cross-bar enables one to control the boar at a safe distance until it dies or is dispatched or controlled by another means. Dogs or other hunters. This feature is even more important when in bear and cougar country, or in Africa where lion and other big cats are prevalent.

Even some other not usually considered 'dangerous' game, if hunted on foot or simply encountered unexpectedly when an adequate firearm is not immediately at hand, can be more safely dispatched or diverted if the spear has a cross-bar.

The same goes for humans. A spear wound, unless, just like a bullet wound, does not hit an immediately lethal spot, can leave a person still able to inflict severe wounds if they get close enough. (This is in situations where they do not have a firearm, or cannot access one.) If they have a knife, machete, or sword, and are 'run through' by a spear, bringing them within arm's length of you, they might still get in several devastating slashes or stabs.

That is the thrusting spear. A close-up weapon. There will be times that some range is required when firearms are not available or acceptable and archery implements are not either, or the skill is not good enough. Throwing spears can fill the need here. Particularly javelins. This is what they were made for. Primarily as combat weapons, but they also were used with great effect, with different points, for hunting a wide range of game animals.

War javelins tended to have rather simple heads. Hunting version often had a bit more complex head, with barbs or other means to keep the javelin in the animal. A human with a javelin wound was usually pretty much out of action. If he ran away, that was okay, too. A game animal needed to be stopped, or at least slowed down, and/or leave a good blood trail.

Not to mention, if a force was winning and advancing, it is much easier to pull out a non-barbed point from a downed enemy so it can be used again. Also, the simple heads were cheaper to produce, a major consideration when an army might need hundreds, if not thousands of them.

They were lighter in both weight and construction for several reasons. One, they could be thrown much further than a heavy spear. Second, though related to distance, was the fact that they could be thrown in a fairly high arc to get over obstacles, shields, animals used for cover, and simply to target people behind the front lines in battle.

Third was the fact that several javelins could be carried for the same weight penalty as a heavy thrusting spear. Fourth, they were usually rather shorter than most thrusting spears, making them easier to carry bundled and looped over a should or across the back while a thrusting spear was carried in hand.

Which was often the case in many ancient armies. Those specific troops would carry from three to five throwing javelins plus a thrusting spear for use up close after the javelins were thrown. The thrusting spear was often also used like a walking staff, fighting staff when you wanted captives, and as a pennent staff. Sometimes, depending on time and specific army, a short sword, long sword, shield, or buckler were also carried.

My intention is to have three Spartain style throwing javelins plus a Cold Steel Boar spear.

Another 'spear' I intend to have available for specific situations is a version of a trident. As used by a Retiarius gladiator during the ancient Roman games. While it was based on the ocean top-water fishing trident in use in those times, it became, like many useful items, adapted specifically for warfighting.

I would want one with even more changes. It was originally a fishing spear, I do not think it would work too well for river or lake fishing for fish and frogs up to perhaps a couple or three feet long, at most. The fishing trident was used for hunting top feeding ocean fish up to several feet long and a few hundred pounds in weight.

But I would still want an effective defensive head, suitable for use as both a fish and frog gig as well as defense. The trident was mostly a thrusting spear, especially as a fishing tool, the Retiarius gladiator would occasionally throw his, if an appropriate opportunity arose, as he did have another weapon. That being his weighted entangling net. So he was not completely disarming himself if he threw the trident, and also had a good chance of recovering it. Not really the case in anything but a new form of gladiatorial combat. I would want a weighted net, too, with or without a fishing gig.

I will probably have to make my own version of the gig, using some off the shelf components.

There are many other options available, but the above are the ones I favor.

Just my opinion.
Old 02-19-2019, 01:14 AM
Survivor

Thanked 54,562 Times in 17,781 Posts

I have a number of "thrusting spears"

...they go on the end of various rifles.
Old 02-20-2019, 08:01 PM
www.jerrydyoung.com

Thanked 61,977 Times in 8,875 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Thread 
Total Awards: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad, 2nd View Post
I have a number of "thrusting spears"

...they go on the end of various rifles.
Got a couple of those myself.

Just my opinion.
Old 02-21-2019, 12:18 PM
Survivor

Thanked 3,778 Times in 1,687 Posts

In the current theme of things, I think a spear is useful as a decoration, sporting tool of basic intimidation. They are also hard to carry concealed.
Old 02-21-2019, 07:10 PM
Hiker

Not if you only carry the business end!
The Following User Says Thank You to Gaston444 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-21-2019, 07:26 PM
Hunter

Thanked 2,567 Times in 1,180 Posts

Quote:
Not if you only carry the business end!
Then it wouldn't be a spear.

Sent from my SM-J337P using Tapatalk
Old 05-15-2019, 06:27 AM

Hurray for spears, CS Assegai is pretty dope.