Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Florida Stand Your Ground Incident hawk55732 General Discussion 1321 05-01-2019 09:32 AM
Radio Station Grounding Damonte Communications 61 02-15-2019 08:30 PM
Planting in hilled mounds v/s flat ground browningv308 Farming, Gardening & Homesteading 11 06-23-2018 09:58 AM
Ground Blind Portable Deer Hunting AllOutdoor.com AllOutdoor.com 2 12-05-2016 08:02 PM
Best Duck Blind Location AllOutdoor.com AllOutdoor.com 0 10-26-2016 05:30 PM

Old 04-28-2019, 07:35 PM
Hiker

Thumbs up Ground Blind or Treestand?

Advertise Here

Here are my thoughts on both. What are yours?

http://ericnestor.com/treestand-vs-g...the-winner-is/
Quick reply to this message
Old 04-28-2019, 10:19 PM

To me it all depends on the terrain and how skidish of what your hunting if there is no cover for a tree stand a blind works well I have dug fox holes to hunt out of that works good.
Old 04-29-2019, 03:30 PM
Plays best, alone

Thanked 5,140 Times in 2,382 Posts

I have always chosen a ground blind, even if it's just a matter of sitting on the ground and not moving much. Mostly out of necessity. I have always hunted public lands, here you cannot erect a stand and leave it over night. I don't want to carry a climber in and out every day. I sometimes will still hunt, cant do that in the trees. If I had private property, I would have a tree stand.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-29-2019, 06:06 PM
Survivor

Thanked 2,077 Times in 1,072 Posts

To me, both have their benefits. Tree stand first, ground blind second.
Old 04-29-2019, 06:19 PM
Hunter

Thanked 2,085 Times in 818 Posts

Elevated stands offer several advantages over being on the ground.
Old 04-29-2019, 06:53 PM
Survivor

Thanked 6,035 Times in 2,898 Posts

I use both and also hunt with a ghillie suit as well. Each have their own distinct advantage. It depends on what area and or terrain you want to hunt. It also depends on weapon of choice as well. For instance if hunting with bow then I exclusively use tree stand and or ghillie suit up in well covered tree. Yea I do climb trees if they are climber friendly. It actually gives you better camouflage than being on a stand. Either way the point is when using a bow I have to be elevated. With firearm or muzzleloader I add the ground to my options.

The best thing about a blind is that it hides your movements. Aside from scent and noise, the one thing that always seems to bust me when on the ground is my movement. You try to move slowly, raise your shotgun but if you aren’t deliberate enough...,busted. A blind takes care of that. However I don’t use commercial blinds. They stick out like a sore dumb. I make my blind before the season with natural vegetation. I frame out a square front and then attach chicken wire in a downward spiral slope. Then inside layer the roof with poly to help keep my scent in.

On the outside I layer it with dead vegetation, dead trees, etc;. I use zip ties to secure bigger pieces. This provides a platform for smaller pieces. I mostly only use this method in the thicker deeper areas. Best thing is that inside the blind you can move freely....spend the night if you want too in order to have a fresh morning hunt with no worry about spooking deer as you move into your hunting location.

The one thing I don’t like about tree stands is that they limit you. They restrict you. I usually use a tree stand in high traffic areas if just looking for meat. However more often than not because it offers me the most flexibility, I like hunting with a ghillie suit with either a muzzleloader, Handgun, or shotgun. That is my preferred method of hunting.
Old 05-01-2019, 01:21 PM
Survivor

Thanked 5,936 Times in 3,094 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE_HUNTERIAM View Post

http://ericnestor.com/treestand-vs-g...the-winner-is/
I use both. Terrain / weather dependent. Short as well as long range hunting. Took a big ugly boar with an AK pistol yesterday from a tree stand on my property.

As a matter of fact.....Im currently sitting in another one of my tree stands right now. ( Waiting out a sounder. ..

Also stalk hunt. ( Track as well as spot and stalk)

Nothin in North America that I haven't already dumped with the below combination.... ( Click on a pic below to make it bigger)

11B
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20171221_133108.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	54.5 KB
ID:	286696   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180129_175622.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	22.2 KB
ID:	286698   Click image for larger version

Name:	20171112_100618.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	45.8 KB
ID:	286700  
Old 05-01-2019, 04:57 PM
Hunter

Thanked 2,130 Times in 880 Posts

I have used both and both serve a purpose in different settings. That said I prefer a tree stand hands down. The elevation is a game changer in hunting my preferred game animal of whitetail deer. I have permanent stands for rifle season and use hang on and climbing stands for archery.
Old 05-14-2019, 04:04 PM
Bear Fighter

Location: North of the 45th Parallel, West of the 115th Meridian
Thanked 1,500 Times in 598 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE_HUNTERIAM View Post

www.I'mjusttryingtodrivetraffictomywebsite.com
Maybe share your thoughts on this forum rather than just trying to drive traffic to your website.
The Following User Says Thank You to Area Man For This Useful Post:
Old 06-04-2019, 08:11 PM
Wind

Thanked 1,740 Times in 771 Posts

i prefer the ground - gravity works different after 45 - i still get into elevated stands but prefer the ground - i move around if the animals change their paths i can follow on the ground