Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What is in your survival library? Nitromater Books, Movies & Stories 40 01-02-2019 09:00 PM
GHB: The Winter Package merlinfire Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 64 11-08-2017 03:04 PM
Nuclear Weapons in a Changing Climate: 17Oaks Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 0 07-17-2017 01:39 PM
Wooden bunker Lovinlife9393 DIY - Do It Yourself 65 06-17-2017 10:59 PM
long term shelter heat ---Rob--- Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum 8 03-25-2017 09:29 AM

Old 03-02-2019, 07:48 PM
Trapper

Advertise Here

[QUOTE=72Malibu;19338452]
Depending on the shtf scenario, keep in mind perps may use drones to seek out what they desire. Wind generators and especially solar panels will give away your location. Some of you will not have to worry about this due to location, but most of us will.QUOTE]

Pretty sure drones and ipads will be the 1st things killed by a HEMP. Good.
Quick reply to this message
Old 03-02-2019, 08:32 PM
Formerly WIMountainMan

Thanked 3,904 Times in 1,557 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72Malibu View Post
Depending on the shtf scenario, keep in mind perps may use drones to seek out what they desire. Wind generators and especially solar panels will give away your location. Some of you will not have to worry about this due to location, but most of us will.
Quote:
Originally Posted by neiowa View Post
Pretty sure drones and ipads will be the 1st things killed by a HEMP. Good.

Wandering perps probably won't be a problem if local conditions are so bad you need a purpose-built fallout shelter. Those without similar shelter in those areas will be "in trouble" in short order. In a matter of hours, they'll be so busy puking their guts out, followed by other urgent bathroom needs, they won't have time to use drones or even perform good old-fashioned legwork.
The Following User Says Thank You to CONELRAD For This Useful Post:
Old 03-10-2019, 10:43 PM
Stay Calm & Hit The Gas

A bigger threat than drones could be satellite photos. In case you accidentally locked yourself in a shelter for the last 25yrs, you can get online and decide you want to go to location X in a shtf situation. Using google earth and other such sites, download available photos. This can be done for many years past, and however many years future. You now know where every road and powerline that does exist, but you can also know what DID exist. Homesites, etc all become overgrown eventually. Hard to see sometimes even though it may be just feet away but older sat-photos tells ya it may still be there.
I really need to quit telling some of my secrets......
The Following User Says Thank You to 72Malibu For This Useful Post:

Old 03-10-2019, 10:49 PM
Formerly WIMountainMan

Maybe it should be pointed out that this thread isnít about OPSEC or security, itís about powering a shelter. The topic youíre discussing would probably fit better in the general or DIY subforum. Odds are someone isnít going to run a power line to their fallout shelter because it risks bringing an EMP surge into the shelter. Besides, whatís the point of running utility power to the shelter when you know itís going to be interrupted the moment you need the shelter.
Old 05-10-2019, 08:55 PM
Target Shooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComradePrepper View Post
Is obvious that, in order to survive in case of a nuclear attack, electricity is a must, howerer, solar panels probably arent a choice, considering that the nuclear winter would make a radiactive dust cover in the sky. So, diesel generator might be another choice, but wouldnt that be toxic if there is nothing for the smoke to go? I'm a little new to this, I would love to recieve answers. Thank you beforehand!
I would build a small nuclear reactor. Post nuclear war there will be plenty of fissionable material to provide power for thousands of years. All you would need to do is pop out of the hatch with a bucket and scoop some fallout and fill up your mini reactor ever 10 years.
Old 05-10-2019, 09:48 PM
Survivor

Thanked 3,753 Times in 1,672 Posts

You can get by with a little light. You big electrical consumer will be the fan used to circulate air in and out of your shelter. I assume you can get by with a couple of deep cycle batteries and a solar cell . Check you consumption, you may only need a couple hundred watts, you can store the cell, inverter and batteries in a cubical near the entrance of your shelter. Deep enough to protect them from over burden, EMP and flying debris. You can set them up the day after the burst. The advantage of a cubical outside of the main shelter but still underground is that is a good spot to store your electrical hardware and the porta potty.
Old 05-11-2019, 05:59 PM
Prepared

Quote:
Originally Posted by lasers View Post
The one real "need" for electric in an underground shelter would be lighting. I couldn't imagine living in pitch dark with my family for any length of time. If you use a single 5 watt led(mini mag lights use a 1 watt bulb) for lighting a 35 amp hour battery will give you 40 hours of light if you only drain it to 50%(80 hours if you drain it completely) a 100 amp hour battery will give you 120 hours at 50% battery life(240 hours if you drain it all the way)

If you use a 1 watt bulb those numbers would be 5 times longer.

You also would probably try to be sleeping a lot so you wouldn't be using the light for 24 hours a day.

To keep the battery always charged you could connect it to a trickle charger with a very small fuse on both the hot and ground so a surge from an emp will blow the fuse and your battery should be protected. You could also have the option of connecting it to solar.

Another use for the battery would be for sparing use of a radio for information.

Ventilation can be powered manually and energy for heating and cooking can come from other fuels with adequate ventilation.

Or you can skip the large battery and store two AA batteries for each day you expect to spend in the shelter. Two AA batteries will power a mini maglite for about 20 hours on low.

With proper ventilation you can use any type of fuel based lighting(lantern, candle, oil lamps, fire)
We are doing something akin to that. Add to it two 100 watt solar panels, a charge controller, a deep cycle battery, and 750 watt inverter.
Old 05-11-2019, 09:38 PM
Formerly WIMountainMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by elsapo View Post
I would build a small nuclear reactor. Post nuclear war there will be plenty of fissionable material to provide power for thousands of years. All you would need to do is pop out of the hatch with a bucket and scoop some fallout and fill up your mini reactor ever 10 years.
You just made that up, didn't you?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CONELRAD For This Useful Post:
Old 05-11-2019, 09:57 PM
www.jerrydyoung.com

Thanked 61,961 Times in 8,874 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Thread 
Total Awards: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by CONELRAD View Post
You just made that up, didn't you?
I sure hope he did. lol

Just my opinion.
Old 05-11-2019, 10:00 PM
Formerly WIMountainMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry D Young View Post
I sure hope he did. lol

Just my opinion.

Well, in theory, if you could gather enough Strontium-90 together you could make an RTG.
Old 05-12-2019, 05:11 PM
www.jerrydyoung.com

Thanked 61,961 Times in 8,874 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Thread 
Total Awards: 1

Yes, but you would probably be dead 10 or 15 seconds after it is completed from the radiation received in gathering it up.

I think I will just go looking for a dud when out mining the area for resources. That would be safer (from the radiation), and much easier to work with. Not to mention a much larger quantity.

Just my (joking) opinion.
Old 05-19-2019, 02:59 PM

Location: digging a big hole,setting forms and rebar and pouring concrete

12V dc LED lights draw next to nothing for the light they put out. LED undercounter kitchen strip lights are easy to install,two wires,+/- and you're ready to go. Most have switches built in so you could sectionalize the lighting-(some on,some off)-so some could sleep while some could be up on watch. Easy shelter lighting,most are so low profile they can go on the ceiling and you won't hit your head on them..maybe a solar panel on a long cable to recharge your batteries,-you can slide it outside quickly with minimal personnel exposure..FWIW