Survivalist Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
8K views 109 replies 37 participants last post by  Dixie_Dude 
#1 · (Edited)
For firearms most of us have have at least 3 firearms. At least most of us in the USA.

During the American revolution we learned the importance of making sure that everyone can be armed. As we learned that it is possible for a governing body to become oppressive, and the people should always be able to form an independent militia from the resources they already have, when needed in bad times. This does not mean that we are part of a militia already, it just means that if and when the need arises we can form into a needed militia with what we already have. This is recorded by many of the founders of our nation.

And of course some form of hunting arm is kind of important, as it means less reliance on grocer or stockpiles.

Some of us also have some air rifles that we use for small game hunting, these are among our armories. These are a good addition, again those that have them generally have at least three task specific air rifles.

Some also have Bows, Crosbows, and even verious kinds of slingshots. These are very useful as well.

Hunting Definitions As I learned
To limit missunderstanding I should mention the game catagories as I learned them, as some may have learned differently.

Small game is generally up to and including most raccoon, as well as all smaller. Sometimes this is broken down into sub sections.

Medium Sized Game/Mid Size Game is generally from the largest raccoons up to bobcat and coyote.

Big Game is generally everything larger than the other two main categories.

For me the four firearms are?
NOTE: For me exposure to and knowledge of most modern MASS PRODUCED firearms is nearly non existent.

My sidearm is an old Colt .40 cal revolver that stays on my belt anytime I am outside.

My mid range rifle is a .31 cal custom rifle made by my mom for my 14th birthday. Very reliable.

My long range rifles are a pair of matching custom .39 cal 1:18 twist 37 inch barrel rifles made by two of the family gunsmiths (the first by my mom, the second by me as I learned the skill set).

For me the permanent four air guns are?
For general purpose use I have a Crosman Legacy 1000, as it provides the need hunting power, as well as versatility and accuracy. This replaced my Crosman 2100.

For general purpose fun and marksmanship would be the Daisy Powerline 953 TargetPro single pump target rifle.

For stealth carry and hunting at very close ranges is my Crosman 1377. I think this one speaks for itself.

Just so I always have a .22 caliber air rifle the Crosman 2289g is one of my main air rifles.

I have other air rifles, though these are the ones that really count, the most used and the ones I will attempt to always hang onto.

Archery and Slingshots for me?
Unfortunately I am limited as my wheelchair often gets in the way.

One home made 80lb short bow that is just general use.

Two home made slingshots, good for a lot of things.

What are your three firearms? Airguns? Archery?
Which firearms do you prefer, and why them? Which air guns do you prefer and why? Whatever else applies.

There are likely at least a few archers in the bunch.

See less See more
#2 ·
This is why as adults we generally never buy any firearms after we are 19 years of age
Speak for yourself!!

My buying simply accelerated into WARP beyond 18.

I learned on all sorts of things growing up, most of which were military arms. It's been an ongoing thing for almost 60 years now, and covers pretty much any kind of gun you can think of.

The only type of gun we were never allowed to have as kids were "air guns", for the simple reason my dad said we would treat them as toys, and we proved him right too. We were doing FoF in the 60's, long before it became popular like it is today, in basements, barns, out in the woods, etc, with all manner of "bb" guns. We all still carry at least a couple of scars from those battles as well. :)

I did have a Sheridan "Blue Streak" once I moved out, but rarely hunted anything with it. .22's we're always the choice for hunting.

I still have a couple of single break air rifles, but don't really ever use them.

#3 ·
Well, my arsenal is radically different than yours, and every one of them I purchased after I turned 21 except a rifle.

I have an emphasis on ARs, bolt action rifles in 308, shotguns in 12 ga. No air rifles or such, as the 10/22 will handle the small game better than an air rifle will.

#4 ·
Must beg to differ on the 10/22 for small game. You would have to bark a squirrel to kill it without doing to much damage to it, or similar with sand for a rabbit. The 10/22 is great for mid sized game though.

Yea a lot of people like the AR platform, I do not understand it I have shot a few and it is difficult to hit a 1 inch target more than 30% at 120 yards, that is terrible for a mid range rifle in my book, though that is me.

#6 ·
Yea a lot of people like the AR platform, I do not understand it I have shot a few and it is difficult to hit a 1 inch target more than 30% at 120 yards, that is terrible for a mid range rifle in my book, though that is me.
Like anything else, not all AR's are equal.

This was shot at 100 yards, prone off a bipod. The dot is 1", and the gun was not zeroed for 100.

This was the gun used...

Most AR's will out shoot their owners.

#7 ·
you have a very eclectic arsenal! I would love to see pictures as some of those guns I cant even imagine.

I never thought about it like you described it but you definitely on point about the way we Americans are raised.

me personally I stick with the more commercial variants for parts and service as I am not a gun smith.

Glock for the autos and Colts for the wheel guns. Love them. Wish I could tell you I had a pretty one in the bunch but they are for use, not show.

Got the standard mix of remingtons and brownings in shotguns. Work well for birds of many feathers and more than one deer has fallen to slugs or buckshot.

Same for the rifles, Remingtons and Brownings for the most part, used for longer (0-400yds) ranges. We really don't have many places here for over 200 yd shots.

I like my military guns. More to look at and fondle than to really shoot. With the exception of the AR most of my "relics" have very few rounds through them.

Not really into air rifles. Suppressors are legal here and .22 suppressed IMHO fare exceeds anything a pop gun can do. As far as overkill, we shoot them in the eye...... never really had a taste for brains! lol

#13 ·
Carry:
Kimber Solo in my pocket almost all the time
Glock 19 in my car console

Home defense (these are located in different places):
M1 Carbine w/30-round magazines full of Critical Defense and soft point rounds
870 12ga w/+2 loaded with #1 buck
Glock 19 w/front night sight and tac light
I also have some other guns in different parts of the house in case I am there when a break-in occurs

Hunting (I don't bring all of these each time, it depends what and where):
Pre-64 Winchester 94 .30-30
1980s Remington 700 BDL .30-06 w/12x
Stevens 87A .22LR semi-auto rifle
Mossberg 20ga bolt shotgun
Ruger Vaquero .45 Colt w/hot handloads
(It didn't occur to me until just now that the newest gun I use for hunting is a Vaquero made in the 1990s)

I have other guns (AR, SKS etc) that I have used in these roles at various points and may use again in the future, but at the moment, this is how I look at their roles.

#14 ·
Speak for yourself. I don't know anyone who stopped buying firearms after age 19, nor do I know anyone with less than 5. And most of the people in my life are gun people.

You must have zero firearms experience if you think a .22 is "good for mid size game". Nobody who has any hunting experience would advocate hunting deer or black bear with a 22.

Also, if you think " adults generally never buy firearms after 19", you're delusional. Just look at the buying trends in this country.

#15 ·
First off, not EVERYONE has taken the oath, I have .

Second, I don't own any archery stuff, I do however own many different types of arms.

1 AR
1AK
1 264 WIN MAG (long distance"
1 243. mid range
1 model 94 30 30 (pre 64) mid range
3 22's , 1 lever , 1 pump and one semi auto

shot guns

2 model 1912 , 12 gauges
1 side by side coach gun , 12 gauge

pistols

1 .40 cal s&w shield
1 .40 cal ruger p94
1 .45 long colt vaquero

1 high powered pellet gun
1 simple bb gun

and 2 wrist rocket type sling shots

so I do have diversity, and am comfortable and proficient with ALL of them except the AK which I haven't shot yet, because I just completed it and the weather hasn't cooperated lately . :thumb:

#16 ·
It seems as though every firearm you own is a black powder of some sort. Cant think of a 40 caliber revolver that isnt black powder. Also seems that both of your rifles with their 37" barrels are also black powder. While I am sure these are all nice firearms might I suggest that you buy a decent modern semi auto firearm or 5?

Also speak for yourself. I had one gun growing up and it was a 22 bolt action. Since turning 21 I have purchased dozens of firearms. I am also not sure what oath any of us declared unless we are a judge, military, or Law Enforcement. I've certainly never sworn an oath.

Finally, the 10/22 is excellent on small game. I just took two squirrels with mine this weekend and it is hardly powerful enough to bark a squirrel.

#18 ·
Got to go with marlin
I was wondering if OP was converting metric to English just to be interesting.
Even a .39 is strange for BP.
And a .40 cal "old " colt. Is pushing antique the .40 S&W is only twenty six year old.

My dad and I didn't allow " toy" not projecting guns because it could Instill bad habits. i.e. Indexing in a non safe direction.

#17 ·
My home defense gun is a $189 Stevens/Savage 18 1/2" 12ga pump shotgun with pistol grip stock and a flashlight mounted. For on-person carry it's a medium size custom Glock 9mm. For hunting deer & hogs it's a lightweight 20" barrel Savage .308 bolt action that will shoot 1/4" groups at 100y with the right loads.

Nothing very exotic I'm sorry to say. Why not? Because I foolishly sold off my rare and fancy guns over the years and still regret it. :mad:

#22 ·
For the last 25 years I have used a 9mm, AR-15 for just about everything. Except deer hunting. Modified 32 round UZI mags helped make quick work on varmints out there on the lease.

Used iron sights for a while till decent RED DOT ones came about.

It is nice when you don't wear, " MY GUN SHOOTS 900 FEET " on your shoulder.

#23 ·
So, we get this nebulous list of firearms

• . . . old Colt .40 cal revolver
  • . . . .31 cal custom rifle
  • . . . custom .39 cal 1:18 twist 37 inch barrel rifles
Then this oddly specific (right down to the model number) list of air guns

• Crosman Legacy 1000
  • Crosman 2100
  • Daisy Powerline 953 TargetPro
  • Crosman 1377
  • Crosman 2289g
my bullcrap detector is pinging like crazy, as if someone just made up a couple calibers of firearms, then picked some specific air guns out of whatever Cabela's catalog might have been handy. Sure would be cool to be proven wrong, but unless those are muzzle loading black powder firearms, I don't see where you're going to get any ammunition.

#37 ·
So, we get this nebulous list of firearms

Then this oddly specific (right down to the model number) list of air guns

my bullcrap detector is pinging like crazy, as if someone just made up a couple calibers of firearms, then picked some specific air guns out of whatever Cabela's catalog might have been handy. Sure would be cool to be proven wrong, but unless those are muzzle loading black powder firearms, I don't see where you're going to get any ammunition.
I know not what the heck you are talking about. My list of firearms is much more specific than my list of airguns.

I was interested in my firearms more when I was younger. I keep them around because they are a needed tool, though they do not see all that much use any more. I still practice with my revolvers, the Colt and a few black powder revolvers. I did not include any black powder guns in the list, as those are usually not looked at around here. The land to land ID of the barrel on the rifles is how caliber is measured, usually measured before the sine cutting bar is used to cut the rifling.

If you would like I can dig out the log for the rifles and give extremely specific information on them, including the specs on the pressure crimps to make the casings, the molds to make the bullets, the caps used, the powder loads, and which explosives work best with them for which material of cartridge and bullet weight. If this is not what you wish to know, then what is it that you are asking.

If you are just trying to stir things up, then I can only say, Believe whatever you want.

#26 ·
For firearms we all have the 3 to 5 that we have trained and hunted with all our life, as that is how we were taught in the United States.

I have never, ever heard of or experienced that concept, at all.

We have one or two sidearm(s), one mid range rifle, and one or two long range rifles, this is the way we all have always lived, this is a big part of living in this nation, and what helps to protect this nation.

Again...I have a degree in History, and I'm pretty certain, this isn't correct.

Everyone of us has taken an oath to protect this nation against all enemies foreign and domestic.

Some of us have...but not everyone.

This is part of why we are all armed, a lesson learned as we fought for our independence from an oppressive government, and became an independent nation int he revolutionary war.

Learned by some, disputed by others...

Some of us also have some air rifles that we use for small game hunting, these are among our armories. These are a good addition, again those that have them generally have at least three task specific air rifles.

I don't know ANYONE with three task specific air guns.

Some also have Bows, Crosbows, and even verious kinds of slingshots. These are very useful as well.

For me the four firearms are?
My sidearm is an old Colt .40 cal revolver that stays on my belt anytime I am outside.

My mid range rifle is a .31 cal custom rifle made by my mom for my 14th birthday. Very reliable.

My long range rifles are a pair of matching custom .39 cal 1:18 twist 37 inch barrel rifles made by two of the family gunsmiths (the first by my mom, the second by me as I learned the skill set).

For me the permanent four air guns are?
For general purpose use I have a Crosman Legacy 1000, as it provides the need hunting power, as well as versatility and accuracy. This replaced my Crosman 2100.

For general purpose fun and marksmanship would be the Daisy Powerline 953 TargetPro single pump target rifle.

For stealth carry and hunting at very close ranges is my Crosman 1377. I think this one speaks for itself.

It doesn't speak to me, at all. Is that a handgun?:confused:

Just so I always have a .22 caliber air rifle the Crosman 2289g is one of my main air rifles.

I have other air rifles, though these are the ones that really count, the most used and the ones I will attempt to always hang onto.

Archery and Slingshots for me?
Unfortunately I am limited as my wheelchair often gets in the way.

One home made 80lb short bow that is just general use.

Two home made slingshots, good for a lot of things.

What are your three firearms? Airguns? Archery?
I know everyone here has the three firearms they grew up with, along with the ammo reloading ability to go with them, so what are they?

You really think everyone reloads? Really?

This is why as adults we generally never buy any firearms after we are 19 years of age.

Some of you I am sure have some good air guns, would be interesting to hear about them.

There are likely at least a few archers in the bunch.

I have guns. And an air gun. And a compound bow.:thumb:

#27 ·
For firearms we all have the 3 to 5 that we have trained and hunted with all our life, as that is how we were taught in the United States. ...

this is the way we all have always lived, ...

This is why as adults we generally never buy any firearms after we are 19 years of age.
I hope you are joking. Not everyone grew up like you.

Everyone of us has taken an oath to protect this nation against all enemies foreign and domestic
When did everyone take an oath and in front of who? I know when, where, and why I took mine.

#38 ·
While that is true, I did not have my firearms at that time, and really did not want them at the time. My mom passed away last month, and thus the firearms from my youth came back to me.

I do not claim to know a lot about firearms, as what I learned about gunsmithing as a child (before I was 24) has long been applied to air rifles, especially in making custom barrels with different twist rates.

As there seems to be question of my age, I am 38 years of age.

#30 ·
There is another forum user with "nomad" in his name who is rather knowledgeable and has a large gun collection, iirc. I thought this was the same person. I wondered not only about this thread, but others where he suggested that (for example) filling out the federal form to buy a gun from an FFL dealer was optional, or that I should consider discarding a cracked 870 Police forend rather than repair it (new ones cost $95).

#32 ·
I know everyone here has the three firearms they grew up with, along with the ammo reloading ability to go with them, so what are they? This is why as adults we generally never buy any firearms after we are 19 years of age.
You either have no idea of what you are talking about or you live in a bubble.:rolleyes:

#40 ·
While I did have air rifles as a child (.22 caliber Crosman, not sure of model), it is the abiltiy of modern airguns that got me truly into air gunning. If you believe that air guns equal youth, go out and shoot some of the adult .50 caliber air rifles that will produce between 300FPE and 500FPE at the muzzle. FPE = Foot Pounds of Energy.

I have learned that there seems to be more common acquisition of firearms in later adulthood. This I did not know, my learning curve has been a bit different experience, learning what is really out there reduced my interest in firearms. I still see the importance of firearms, though I keep them as a tertiary backup for when they are needed.

#44 ·
"so, you are an air gunsmith learned at your mothers' knee but haven't worked in the field for the last 14 years. What have you been doing? "
I learned as a gunsmith, and lost most interest in firearms. So later in life I applied the skill to airguns instead of firearms. And yes I 'learned at my mothers knee', a very good way to learn a craft is always from our parents.

I still do not understand the question of the oath. From what has been said in this thread I guess that taking an oath to ones native nation is not as common as I used to think it was (unfortunate indeed), so I have learned a bit from this thread that I did not know.

I have also learned that my experience and local observation of the usage and acquisition of firearms is different from many, this is more that is good to learn about for me.

It is good that I have learned some, as we all have different experiences. That is why these forums exist.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.