Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What's your 'Perfect' survival rifle? blue123 Rifle Forum 1604 04-19-2020 07:27 AM
That one perfect survival knife msommers Knives, Swords & Axes 85 04-05-2018 06:45 PM
my perfect rifle for survival. clemsonguy81 Firearms General Discussion 70 03-31-2018 09:37 AM
The Perfect B.O.B Survival Guns The Great Silence Firearms General Discussion 78 03-20-2018 02:41 PM
Ebola The perfect Terrorist weapon survivalebooks Nuclear, Biological and Chemical (NBC) Survival 6 11-14-2014 06:33 PM
Benelli SuperNova (Tactical) - perfect S&P weapon and perfect add to the gun preps tAKticool Firearms General Discussion 11 03-26-2014 08:47 PM
The perfect survival weapon proudpatriot66 Primitive Weapons, Bows and Crossbows 84 11-03-2013 12:53 AM
Perfect time for yet another Assault Weapon Massacre? Fight4Freedom Political News and Discussion 25 01-11-2013 09:40 AM
The perfect survival trap Snow Walker Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum 19 05-02-2011 08:40 PM
The perfect survival round stilllearning Firearms General Discussion 65 11-14-2008 01:08 PM

Old 08-06-2007, 03:55 PM

Default Perfect survival weapon

Advertise Here

This is a great portable crossbow that easily fits on your rucksack, in your canoe, in the trunk of your car. The accuracy is Excalibur crossbow class. The only sad thing is that its not cheap but there are no other crossbow like this.

http://www.wolfszeit.de/armbrust/sur...-SURVIVA-49985
Quick reply to this message
Old 08-06-2007, 04:28 PM
Wild Wild... East

Thanked 1,053 Times in 605 Posts

Indeed, 1200/1400 EUR is not cheap. In US you can buy fire weapons for a small army with this moneys.
Laufstahl, you use that crossbow? What is your personal opinion?
Also, can you tell us more about using this tipe of weapons?

Bogdan
Old 08-08-2007, 02:46 AM

Yes, the crossbow isnt cheap but it is still in the same pricerange like TenPoint and other expensive crossbows. I have tried it and it shoots very accurate. Its a bit forward heavy because of the special block for the limbs but its not too heavy.

The crossbows I prefer is Excalibur crossbows. They are easy to maintain and there are still no other crossbow on the market with better accuracy. My prefered distance with the crossbow is up 50m. Off course you can shoot longer but then the arrow effects alot by wind. Under perfect conditions with good arrows you can shoot accurate up to 100m.

The crossbow is a great weapon. Its not as loud as a rifle, It shoots very accurate, after shooting you dont need to do that much of cleaning like with a gun , meat destruction in a hunted animal is almost zero and its very easy to learn how to shoot quite well. There is alot of very nice help equipment to help you cock the crossbow today so even if you have fysical problems the crossbow can be a good choice.
The Following User Says Thank You to Laufstahl For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-08-2007, 03:24 PM

Yikes - Got to go to Cabela's, they have an indoor range (archery) I've been debating one but, I have to check up on the local laws.
Old 08-08-2007, 04:21 PM
Wild Wild... East

Thanked 1,053 Times in 605 Posts

Unfortunately, here, you can't hunt with crossbows. Also with bows and .22LR. Stupid laws....

Bogdan
Old 08-08-2007, 11:50 PM

We are not allowed to hunt here either with crossbow /bow but I will if the situation demands it.
Old 12-07-2007, 12:25 AM

Awards Showcase
Top Poster 
Total Awards: 1

Crossbows are great weapons. I've not shot or even held one, but the idea is the main thing. It's reusable ammo, and you can even make your own bolts in a pinch. They can also fire other ammo, stuff a bow can't do. I'd not get an expensive one, and I'd have a draw weight in the hundred+ lbs. range.

Personally, though, I'd rather have a nice recurve. It's much more efficient, and with practice it's as accurate too believe it or not. Arrows may be easier to get than bolts. That's what my winter project (of many) is, a nice recurve. Trying to find a source of Yew or Osage Orange right now. It's hard to find good straight wood.

If you guys get a chance, check out the book set titled "The Traditional Bowyers Bible". Chalked full of info on making your own stuff. I'll do a post with a few pics and you can see yourself how easy, fun and enlightening it is. My 2nd favorite book(s) after the bible.
Old 02-07-2008, 07:38 AM
ruralist

Although the Barnett Revolution XS crossbow isn't as ideal for hauling cross country, it has the same kind of FPS rating as the much more expensive Excalibur. Although lbs is down.

Info
The Following User Says Thank You to arrexian For This Useful Post:
Old 02-07-2008, 10:01 AM

The lbs is always less on a compound. But lbs is not a big problem conserning crossbows like in bowshooting. There are helping devices that helps cocking the crossbow. The advantages with the recurve is easier maintainance and accuracy. The recurve is also more durable and not as heavy.
There are many crossbows that does the speed of both Excalibur crossbows and the Revolution but not many can stand to shoot that high speed for a long time. The compounds cant stand long wear of shooting light arrows but the Excalibur recurve limbs can. Not much speed from a broken crossbow ;-)
The accuracy is also proven better.
Old 02-07-2008, 12:21 PM
Hunter

Awards Showcase
Outstanding Thread 
Total Awards: 1

A general rule of thumb is crossbows have less range than compound or the pulley system bows even a recurve. The shortness and weight of the bolt effect the range and accuracy. Historically the long bow had 3 times the effective range of a crossbow.
Old 02-07-2008, 12:33 PM

I was talking about compound crossbows vs recurve. arrexian was talking about a Barnett "compound" crossbow. I was aslo talking about modern equipment. I shoot both bow (both recurve and compound) and crossbow and competeting seriously with both. If we talk range accuracy you are right consearning historical weapons but with modern equipment the facts are something else. I shoot accurate with my crossbow up to +100yards and I know not many bow shooters do that. That is depending on the weather off course.
Old 02-08-2008, 07:54 PM

i'll stick with my $300 compound bow from crappy tire thanks.
The Following User Says Thank You to mashersmasher For This Useful Post:
Old 02-09-2008, 12:35 AM

I stick with my Bowtech Allegiance (compound bow), Hoyt Gamemaster2 (recurve) and my Excalibur crossbows. I love all kind of archery shooting so why not shoot both bow and crossbow. :D
The Following User Says Thank You to Laufstahl For This Useful Post:
Old 08-17-2015, 09:38 PM

I had a crossbow, the only bad thing about them is you cant dry fire them. If you cock it, you gotta fire a bolt
Old 08-17-2015, 09:41 PM
Survivor

Thanked 16,098 Times in 8,550 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laufstahl View Post
We are not allowed to hunt here either with crossbow /bow but I will if the situation demands it.
Easier to do it here. Looks kind of cool and you get the excuse to hunt full ninja.
Old 08-18-2015, 11:21 AM
Plays best, alone

Thanked 5,411 Times in 2,498 Posts

Perfect for hunting, nearly. Perfect for survival not even close, IMO.

Survival is more than just hunting. X bows are not even close to quiet, they are also less maneuverable in confined areas, whether that is an apartment hallway or thick overgrown brush. Rate of fire, is about one and done. Don't believe you can reload like Daryl Dixon on TWD. I'll stick to vertical bows for most of my archery, I do have a xbow, just not that fond of it.
The Following User Says Thank You to Palma For This Useful Post:
Old 08-18-2015, 11:41 AM
... --- ...

Thanked 45,866 Times in 10,739 Posts

Having shot a few crossbows, and owned one,years ago, I have the same view of them that I do of things like children and boats: "It's better to have freinds/relatives that own them, than own them yourself".
Sure, crossbows are cool to play with for a minute, and I'm sure they could be useful in some fairly narrow circumstances, but in almost any realistic survival scenario,they're just a cute novelty that are vastly outgunned.......by guns.
And, everyone else that I know that have owned them, played with them for a while, then realized their shortcomings and sold them, at a loss.
As far as a survival tool goes, there are much better ways to allocate the money than on what this one in the OP costs, IMO.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MIL-DOT For This Useful Post:
Old 08-18-2015, 01:06 PM
Hillbilly By***!

Thanked 1,669 Times in 683 Posts

I wasted $750 on a crossbow once.. The perfect survival weapon it is not..
It's a high maintenance toy that is impossible to shoot fast and after cocking a 185lb crossbow a few times by hand you're tired..
Tactically it's a one and done weapon. You shoot at someone with it and you better have a backup because you wont get it reloaded before they close in on you..
I'd take a recurve over a crossbow any day. Hell! I'd take a spear, slingshot with rocks or a stick over a crossbow..

That is a useless archaic weapon that is being used for a hunting tool. Killing non dangerous game is all it is decent at.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Confederate Grey For This Useful Post:
Old 08-19-2015, 08:39 AM
what pirate's?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Confederate Grey View Post
I wasted $750 on a crossbow once.. The perfect survival weapon it is not..
It's a high maintenance toy that is impossible to shoot fast and after cocking a 185lb crossbow a few times by hand you're tired..
Tactically it's a one and done weapon. You shoot at someone with it and you better have a backup because you wont get it reloaded before they close in on you..
I'd take a recurve over a crossbow any day. Hell! I'd take a spear, slingshot with rocks or a stick over a crossbow..

That is a useless archaic weapon that is being used for a hunting tool. Killing non dangerous game is all it is decent at.
Hm. Hope those guys who shoot Grizzly bears and African lions don't find out there crossbows are useless against anything but squirrels and rabbits.

OP, a crossbow would be a decent choice as a survival weapon, but I don't think perfect. Definitely better then nothing and a great option if you are not allowed to own fire arms where your from. As far as Ross bows being unwieldy I ha e to disagree. That statement sounds like one made by a person who has little if any practical experience handling and shooting crossbows of any type and spends their days fantasizing about moving get down zombie hordes with an AK in each hand.

Here is what I can put forth from my crossbow experience shooting game an Excalibur Matrix Grizzly. They are heavy and loud but kill like the black plague. I have ever killed a ton of pests with mine as well as four hogs, none of which ran more then ten yards after being shot, and despite the comments made by those who watch to much TV, every hunting season animals die e ery Hu ting season to crossbows. As for the price on what your looking at, I got into my Excalibur for $500.00 US ND change. I literally took the bow off the rack, shot it and bought it. Which ever brand/type you get be sure to grab a cocking device and a sling.
Old 08-19-2015, 09:42 AM
Hillbilly By***!

Thanked 1,669 Times in 683 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by groothewanderer View Post
Hm. Hope those guys who shoot Grizzly bears and African lions don't find out there crossbows are useless against anything but squirrels and rabbits.

OP, a crossbow would be a decent choice as a survival weapon, but I don't think perfect. Definitely better then nothing and a great option if you are not allowed to own fire arms where your from. As far as Ross bows being unwieldy I ha e to disagree. That statement sounds like one made by a person who has little if any practical experience handling and shooting crossbows of any type and spends their days fantasizing about moving get down zombie hordes with an AK in each hand.

Here is what I can put forth from my crossbow experience shooting game an Excalibur Matrix Grizzly. They are heavy and loud but kill like the black plague. I have ever killed a ton of pests with mine as well as four hogs, none of which ran more then ten yards after being shot, and despite the comments made by those who watch to much TV, every hunting season animals die e ery Hu ting season to crossbows. As for the price on what your looking at, I got into my Excalibur for $500.00 US ND change. I literally took the bow off the rack, shot it and bought it. Which ever brand/type you get be sure to grab a cocking device and a sling.
The only reason I say non dangerous game is due to the reload time.
I would not want to face off against a charging dangerous animal with one shot in the case that you miffed your bolt placement..

My personal experience while hunting deer is a crossbow is okay from a ground blind but they suck in a tree stand. Unless you have a crank cocker you can't cock one in a stand. I enjoyed shooting a crossbow. Scary accurate and it hits hard. From a hunting aspect I'll take a bow and arrow any day.
Hauling that heavy ass crossbow and my heavy ass Summit Golaith 1.5 miles back in the woods sucked. I was carrying almost 40lbs trying to stalk and be quiet. Heaven forbid you kill a deer, that is a long drag.
I'm not arguing the crossbow power, I'm arguing it's practicality..
If you are a farm hunter and hunt from a blind ground or elevated they are fine.
If you are a hunter that hunts deep woods and hunts the wind they suck.
They are a big handicap when it comes to mobility in the southern hills I hunt in.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Confederate Grey For This Useful Post: