2nd Wave = civil unrest??? - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here
View Poll Results: What will the second wave be like?
Second wave will be nasty (disease deaths/economically/crime/anything) 63 38.65%
About as bad as first wave 25 15.34%
Not as bad 52 31.90%
Don't know / rather not say 23 14.11%
Voters: 163. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-17-2020, 04:48 PM

Thanked 3,468 Times in 1,210 Posts
Default 2nd Wave = civil unrest???

Advertise Here

Is the apocalypse right around the corner???

Or, maybe not the apocalypse... but a lot of street fighting?

Context:

1) New article

2) We've been having a little debate on this thread about whether deaths in the USA would add up to 100,000 by the end of the month, and it looks like the 60% of us who said they would are going to be right.

Lockdowns are being lifted, since the first wave is projected to end.

However, if the second wave is bigger than the first wave, as some say second waves are, won't we simply be back to 30% unemployment or more? And then what?

The first wave was pretty tough... people were unprepared... they went panic shopping... they lumped together in supermarkets... shortages happened... hoarding happened... price gouging happened... lockdowns happened...

If the second wave is around twice as big, won't the lockdowns happen again? Won't the shortages be worse? Won't unemployment be worse? Won't colder weather make it harder on everybody?

Won't most people probably be unprepared again?

We heard several times about subsequent rounds of checks... but now lawmakers aren't that enthusiastic for them. I thought I read the Senate doesn't have the votes. This is in the face of 1930s style unemployment.

Seems to me that the first wave was barely starting in the USA around the middle of March. The second wave is forecast to peak at the beginning of November, so seems to me the direct economic bad effects of the second wave should be lingering during next winter.

And if the second wave is on a bigger scale than the first wave, then we should have a longer linger.

I don't know about you, but I think I may continue with one per month supermarket trips right up until the second wave, and right through it
Quick reply to this message
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Jim from 28DaysLater For This Useful Post:
Old 05-17-2020, 04:59 PM
Freedom isn't free.

Location: Region 4 - beseiged by communists/ corporate fascists/ criminals...
Thanked 12,416 Times in 3,967 Posts

Emotional depression/despair have caused suicides to go up but have not caused civil unrest yet. probably because hopelessness leaves a person with the idea that nothing that you do will make a difference.

I think it takes fear or anger to push people into social unrest. People have to believe that they can do something to change things. They have to believe that the consequences of doing nothing are worse than the consequences of doing something.
That's why government was passing out money like it was strands of beads at mardi gras. To lessen the consequences of doing nothing.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to CrypticCRICKET For This Useful Post:
Old 05-17-2020, 05:35 PM
Survivor

Thanked 72,729 Times in 22,472 Posts

I thought the whole point of a novel virus was:

We don't know.

I'm 4 days away from 3 months since I went to town, (right now I'm planning the second week of June) was talking to my preacher/buddy .... His family has gone a couple times. He says they may just continue with going shopping once every month or 2 now that they know they can. Not because of the second wave (although he also recognizes the potential.) BuT because now they know they can.
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Nomad, 2nd For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-17-2020, 05:45 PM
Trapper

Thanked 1,480 Times in 536 Posts

Here in central Illinois we went to the store yesterday. The traffic was almost as bad at 5:00 as it would have been before the lock down. The store was full of product and people. I think that our Nazi Governor has run his mouth too much and most have quit listening.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to cavsgt For This Useful Post:
Old 05-17-2020, 05:58 PM
Mod Certified PITA!

Thanked 21,320 Times in 7,690 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim from 28DaysLater View Post

<snip>

I don't know about you, but I think I may continue with one per month supermarket trips right up until the second wave, and right through it
My city is reopening June 1. I'm thinking this will start Corona accelerating here. So I'm going to resupply as much as I can locally in the next few weeks, then go into semi- or back into total quarantine.

And RE the question: I'm assuming it's going to be bad. Another shutdown, utility failures, lack of supplies, people going nuts, all those fun things. If I'm wrong, I'm just a fool. If I'm right...
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Moccasin For This Useful Post:
Old 05-17-2020, 06:01 PM

I went with not as bad.
The old "fool me once" thing.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Oneputt For This Useful Post:
Old 05-17-2020, 06:16 PM
Let the Debate begin

Thanked 11,022 Times in 3,903 Posts

The more people who get it, and survive it, the
less people are going to worry about it.

Sure the Hermits who are scared silly will
still be scared.

But most people realize that if we are
going to continue to be a rich nation
where we have the freedoms we now
enjoy, we will have to work for it, instead
of staying isolated.

People are tired of the rapid destruction
of our economy. Its time to get back to
work for you all, before its too late.

Me? I never stopped working.
The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to Truck Vet For This Useful Post:
Old 05-17-2020, 06:28 PM
Abnormality biased.

Thanked 22,122 Times in 6,391 Posts

The anger, even outright hatred between people in this country is has only been amplified by this. Masked vs unmasked are already starting to treat each other like despised enemies, coupled with the second wave infections and election this will only get worse and be bundled up with all the other racial, religious and economic divisions in this country

We are closer to civil war now than we ever have been. It won't be over Corona, but corona and how you responded to it will be an aspect.
The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to Aerindel For This Useful Post:
Old 05-17-2020, 06:34 PM
Abnormality biased.

Thanked 22,122 Times in 6,391 Posts

Interesting little story:

My mother went shopping a couple days ago for the first time in three months.

I walked up to her house to help her unload her car when she got home (she is older, knee replacements, bad health etc) and she asked me "What do you have to do to be able to open carry?"

I told her nothing, just strap on your chosen gun and she asked me to help her come up with a holster etc because she said she is afraid that the unmasked are going to start attacking the masked. She said the look in their eyes in the stores was pure animal hatred. She says that she will only shop at a stores that require masks from now on.

Personally, I haven't seen that. But if 70 year old grandmas are gunning up to go shopping because of how the unmasked 'look' we aren't too far away from things getting interesting.
Old 05-17-2020, 06:40 PM
Awesome

Thanked 25,808 Times in 8,451 Posts

It wouldn't matter if it was better, worse, or the same. Like the way media sensationalized and inflated homicide numbers in order to push the gun control narrative, the media will publish only the studies and numbers that fit their narratives as facts. So if it suits them to make people think it's worse, then that's what the news will be telling you. You can count on it.

Also, the reason they're fear mongering about a second wave right now, that'll never likely happen (and totally be in line with their track record on predictions so far) would be to keep the fear going until November.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to justin22885 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-17-2020, 07:08 PM
Prepared

Thanked 1,068 Times in 223 Posts

I'm saying not as bad or about the same. Seems like we're still not seeing a massive spike in cases like we "should" be seeing about now and I read earlier that Italy has not seen a spike in cases since they started easing their restrictions. They've been a little ahead of us on this whole thing timeline-wise so that seems like good news if they aren't seeing spikes there.

So I think we'll either see a "second wave" that isn't really much of anything or a second wave that is as bad as the first, but with no lockdowns.

As for me, I plan on taking the next few weeks to restock. I also plan on keeping up my preventative measures until the first part of June at which point I'll continue wearing a mask in public and santizing things, but I'll start doing other things like going to church or getting takeout or a haircut again with less concern.
The Following User Says Thank You to ALprepper For This Useful Post:
Old 05-17-2020, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerindel View Post
The anger, even outright hatred between people in this country is has only been amplified by this.
My fellow Americans definitely seem testy. The intentional coughing and everything else began not long after the panic shopping, if I remember right.
Stuff like that just continued all along.

And with even things happening like Wendy's having to take hamburgers off the menu, I can't see how a bigger, second wave wouldn't cause bigger shortages.

Maybe during a tough second wave, TPTB will line up behind checks, and reprieves from shutoffs and evictions, and maybe they won't.

And oh, yeah, did I mention that election that's on the way?
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jim from 28DaysLater For This Useful Post:
Old 05-17-2020, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALprepper View Post
I'm saying not as bad or about the same. Seems like we're still not seeing a massive spike in cases like we "should" be seeing about now and I read earlier that Italy has not seen a spike in cases since they started easing their restrictions. They've been a little ahead of us on this whole thing timeline-wise so that seems like good news if they aren't seeing spikes there.

So I think we'll either see a "second wave" that isn't really much of anything or a second wave that is as bad as the first, but with no lockdowns.

As for me, I plan on taking the next few weeks to restock. I also plan on keeping up my preventative measures until the first part of June at which point I'll continue wearing a mask in public and santizing things, but I'll start doing other things like going to church or getting takeout or a haircut again with less concern.
I read that Georgia is improving since opening up but that Texas is getting worse.

I want to go to the beach, but maybe I won't.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jim from 28DaysLater For This Useful Post:
Old 05-17-2020, 07:23 PM
Hunter

Thanked 3,297 Times in 1,196 Posts

Second wave will not be so bad. Everyone ran around with thier hair on fire worrying that this was the apocalypse and we were going to be eaten by the Corona Zombies for this first round. Now we know the Zombies are dumb and slow, we don't need to panic so bad.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Hound Dog For This Useful Post:
Old 05-17-2020, 08:33 PM
Awesome

Thanked 25,808 Times in 8,451 Posts

Quote:

Remember at the beginning of April when they were saying we'd have up to 240,000 dead before May with the lockdowns in place, and millions if we didn't? Those are the same people freaking out over scare stories about a second wave. Every day it seems like there's a new prediction after all the previous ones have failed. It's beginning to look like a second wave of climate alarmists.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to justin22885 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-17-2020, 08:56 PM
Survivor

Thanked 72,729 Times in 22,472 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim from 28DaysLater View Post
I read that Georgia is improving since opening up but that Texas is getting worse.

I want to go to the beach, but maybe I won't.
Why wouldn't you if you picked a day it's not going to be packed and wore gloves at the gas pump?

I've been "socially distancing" all over my property, and plan to " socially distance" down by the creek when it warms up some more.

Can't say what the future may or may not hold, but while I believe in avoiding unnecessary risk, you can do that while still doing plenty of things.

I went to go check a wild raspberry patch in the middle of the woods a couple weeks ago, and will probably go again midweek.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Nomad, 2nd For This Useful Post:
Old 05-17-2020, 09:18 PM
Grevcon 10

Thanked 38,568 Times in 9,218 Posts

Quote:

It'll take about a month after the lifting to see the rise begin, and that assumes we get tests in place that have a good chance of producing a positive result in a positive patient. The rapid tests that we've been adopting over the last month in most places isn't capable of producing a reliable negative result. If the trend continues of more and more places adopting the abbott rapid test it'll put a downward pressure on numbers. If they abandon the test for negative results and we get a rise from the loosening, case counts could really jump and we could see a panic.
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Colt For This Useful Post:
Old 05-17-2020, 09:53 PM
Si vis pacem, para bellum

Thanked 22,078 Times in 6,084 Posts

I went with the Don't know/ Rather not say because I am not sure if things will get worse or not. I believe that with the arrogance of some people (including one in particular that is a member of this forum) That things will probably get much, much worse. Only because of the lack of concern they are so willing to show and speak of, that they would do anything, including infecting and possibly killing so many people by that lack of concern. When that starts happening, People Like Aerindale's mother may start shooting, thereby causing a mass civil unrest. I see the look in their eyes too when I have to go to a store and I am wearing a mask and gloves with wrap around safety glasses. It is almost as if they hate me because I am being cautious. And then to make matters worse, I believe they are intentionally trying to get a rise out of me by getting too close. I was in Publix (a local chain grocery store) to restock some items we used and had the entire aisle to myself. all of a sudden out of nowhere this young guy and obviously his girlfriend, with no mask or any kind of protection are coming down the aisle right towards me so I scooted as close to the shelf as I could get and still move the buggy and he intentionally bumped into me and then proceeded to give me the stink eye like he wanted to fight. I didn't say anything but I didn't cower down either so finally he and his girl left. But they were not the only ones who have been giving strange looks lately. And it is not just young people it is people of all ages who seem to think that just because the states are opening back up that things are ok now, and they are not taking any precautions. So I am not sure if they will get better or worse.
The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to Ghost863 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-17-2020, 10:04 PM
SBs Resident Non Prepper

Thanked 10,740 Times in 4,105 Posts

I voted....it won’t be so bad.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Goodwrench708 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-17-2020, 10:43 PM

It's going to take fear and hunger to push the scales for unrest. When the 2nd wave hits and it will , it'll more than likely be worse. Worse in the sense that we as a nation still are not prepared. Top down it's all politics and big business , nothing is being done for a 2nd wave just a bunch of bs about a vaccine and a cure. Failure is certain at this point.

So at this point food supply lines will go down because SIP was lifted too soon , many people sick again and no way is anyone going to stay in the house. Trucking at a stand still , economic failure yet again because no jobs. You can throw money around but if you only give it to big business they aren't going to spend it. That doesn't help the economy in any way imho.

Throw in an election year and fear from both sides , one worried about mail in ballots , the other worried about no election at all. So we'll just have to wait and see.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Abuck49 For This Useful Post: