Multiple cashe bags. Do you need them? - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Disaster Preparedness General Discussion Anything Disaster Preparedness or Survival Related

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Let's talk about mylar bags kev Food and water 32 07-18-2019 05:17 PM
Highly durable, waterproof Faraday bags with tested shielding effectiveness Dave_C Nuclear, Biological and Chemical (NBC) Survival 20 01-10-2018 02:47 PM
Zip Loc Freezer Bags ploveles Food and water 18 10-24-2017 04:04 AM
Small air pocket in sealed Mylar bags brianf Food and water 3 02-05-2017 05:52 PM
Crock Pot bags BigJim Food and water 29 11-05-2016 03:48 PM

Old 03-09-2018, 02:02 PM
Trapper

Thanked 2,099 Times in 637 Posts
Default Multiple cashe bags. Do you need them?

Advertise Here

I hope this doesn't get resent to another thread, but here is my opinion.
Given the current course of events, multiple cashe bags may be in order.

I wont go into specific items per se, but I am figuring that the purchase of said bags and then getting them to places of "convenience" may be in order.

What say you?
Quick reply to this message
Old 03-09-2018, 03:32 PM
Survivor

Thanked 7,338 Times in 2,547 Posts

I'm not sure how many are in order but spreading out the resources to several locations does make sense.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Old 03-09-2018, 05:17 PM
reluctant sinner

Thanked 29,050 Times in 10,177 Posts

I think it is excellent plan to have stuff in more than one place. A bag to carry stuff in could be real handy. A re-supply of beans, bullets and band-aids would be great. If you have extra cheap gear to cache there like a $10 multi tool or a $3 painter's tarp so much the better, when you have nothing cheap stuff will be a godsend.

I'd shop used for back up gear and make sure it's good. You should be able to make up 3 or 4 kits used for the price 1 new.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-09-2018, 11:56 PM
Survivor

Thanked 73,516 Times in 22,661 Posts

Why'd you wait so long?
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Nomad, 2nd For This Useful Post:
Old 03-10-2018, 02:10 PM
off-grid organic farmer

Thanked 36,687 Times in 14,471 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Helpful Post 
Total Awards: 1

If your bug-out plan required that you must get to location 'D' following a specific path. It would make sense to plot that path with a series of mid-way points; say A, B and C, at 10-mile intervals.

At each of those mid-way points establish a hidden cache. So you knew ahead of time that on the first day of your bug-out you only need to reach location 'A', and there waiting for you will be a re-supply. Maybe a spot to rest, relax and camp for a few days, before trekking on to location 'B'.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to ForestBeekeeper For This Useful Post:
Old 03-11-2018, 01:36 PM

Sportsman Guide is always getting different surplus waterproof containers that would be suitable to bury. Having a couple different caches is a good idea and will hold much more than a BOB. Three days supplies in the BOB should give you time to get to your bigger cache.

A good book "Only By Blood and Suffering" exhibits this. A good fictional book.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Nebraska Farmer For This Useful Post:
Old 03-11-2018, 01:37 PM
Through Knowledge, Peace

Thanked 8,379 Times in 3,076 Posts

i can use all the cash bags i can get
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Unbelievable For This Useful Post:
Old 03-11-2018, 02:32 PM

^^^^ Me too! Those "containers" need to be vermin proof - squirrels are notorious at chewing through hard plastic type materials as are other small creatures lurking about. Nothing is simple when planning for extended visits with Nature, especially when incumbent weather rolls in.
Old 03-11-2018, 03:35 PM
Survivor

Thanked 8,976 Times in 3,820 Posts

I am currently "on hold" in terms of my cache building because all my plans changed late last year and I am now in process to sell my house this Spring/Summer.

The caches I am preparing to place will all have bags at them to fill from the cache. My plan is to use caches as a re-equip and reload site, but I also want to be prepared that a cache may have to help me after I lose everything for some reason.

As well, having a bag there also means the cache can be loaded up and moved faster if you don't have time to waste.
Old 03-11-2018, 03:37 PM

moustache cash stash
Old 03-11-2018, 03:44 PM
Tested in the Wilderness

Thanked 25,554 Times in 5,112 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Thread Outstanding Thread 
Total Awards: 2

Seems like I have cached stuff as long as I can remember. I have four sheds full of stuff, mainly building supplies especially for a new cabin I hope to finish this summer. Plus lots of camping gear, stored food, stuff I don't like to talk about but not illegal just don't want anyone to think I am too well prepared.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeJ View Post
^^^^ Me too! Those "containers" need to be vermin proof - squirrels are notorious at chewing through hard plastic type materials as are other small creatures lurking about. Nothing is simple when planning for extended visits with Nature, especially when incumbent weather rolls in.
The main storage containers I have stored stuff, mainly food supplies in, are 55 gallon steel drums. Squirrels, mice, insects and even a bear could not get into my steel drum caches.
I have kept them inside of sheds and one in my underground storage place. Here is a video that shows me opening my cache in July 2012 after I had sealed it in Sept 1999. People can fast forward thru this if they wish and notice the multiple plastic bags. >

Old 03-11-2018, 04:28 PM

Mtnman Mike, Are you going to use some of these products now? I would sure like to know what you think of the eating quality after all these years. Especially the rice and beans. Do you normally not use O2 absorbers for your grains?
The Following User Says Thank You to Nebraska Farmer For This Useful Post:
Old 03-11-2018, 04:35 PM
Tested in the Wilderness

Thanked 25,554 Times in 5,112 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Thread Outstanding Thread 
Total Awards: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nebraska Farmer View Post
Mtnman Mike, Are you going to use some of these products now? I would sure like to know what you think of the eating quality after all these years. Especially the rice and beans. Do you normally not use O2 absorbers for your grains?
When I packed those bags I thought I would not need mylar or O2 absorbers and it seems it worked out well. I also have a 45 lb. bucket of wheat at the bottom of each steel drum.

I have not tried the rice but it was hardened. I did try the beans and soaked them for a couple days and mixed the beans half with new beans and was ok. Also the sugar was like new and I used much of it plus about 20 pounds of the sugar in hummingbird feeders just to use it up plus I had 12 hummingbirds that summer of 2012. I must get back up there finally to live year round permanently and then I will have a Lot more to tell about with pics and maybe more videos.

In short, the salt and sugar are the Best to store even possibly for more than 20 years. Especially sealed in an airtight drum. There are rubber gasket seals on the lids of my drums if any did not notice. The beans are ok but probably storing no more than one year is best. Had to soak the wheat also over night. I like to put wheat kernels in a thermos then add real hot water and let it soak over night and have a good bowl of cereal with honey in the morning.

I will have to experiment more with other foods. The 13 year old oatmeal was real dry but the chipmunks and some birds loved it.

I do have at least six months of stored food around, such as in two sheds, some buried, some in my vehicle dried food etc. etc. Most of my stored food is no more than 3 months old.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mtnman Mike For This Useful Post:
Old 03-11-2018, 10:52 PM

Steel drums will discourage squirrels. I've known a few people who cached away food and other supplies at a couple locations in the late summer for use that coming winter several years ago, as they planned a cold weather outing that winter, which was expected to last 2 to 4 weeks with a travel distance of approximately 40 miles using snowshoes/ski's and pulling toboggans loaded with their gear.

They used fairly expensive hard plastic type contains hoisted in trees to keep the black bear from messing with their supplies during the fall but the red squirrel and possibly a few grey squirrels located the cache and they chewed their way into most of the containers.

The winter voyageurs didn't get sick or catch an aliment from the invaders chewing through the inner plastic baggies within the plastic jugs and munching on the food stuffs but the spare clothing such as socks & mitt liners incurred a little damage. I think another month and the containers would have been completely empty.

Cold snowy winters are rough on everyone living outdoors and the animals will take advantage of whatever is available and they will be very persistent in finding a way into anything you have, if left unattended. Whenever I'm out and about in the cold, I will leave a smidgen of food when I break camp, as a thank you for all they do that gives us that peaceful feeling when I'm out and about enjoying Nature.

For those that want to try cold winter camping by venturing 20 miles in rugged terrain for a couple weeks - unless you're raw-boned to begin with - plan on losing a few pounds regardless of your planned high calorie meals.
The Following User Says Thank You to JoeJ For This Useful Post:
Old 03-14-2018, 11:07 PM
Survivor

Location: Outside the Moderate Damage Radius, over the mountain and far away.
Thanked 5,782 Times in 1,948 Posts

Use small caches which are easily hand transportable...

M2A1 cal. .50 ammo cans with materials stowed in plastic contractor bags inside the container with oxygen absorbers, ammo can also wrapped in contractor bag and duct-taped, can be hidden in briar patch or up in a tree well above ground, retrieved quickly...

Color code paint on exterior to ID contents whether:

clothing, shelter items, WHITE
food, cooking fuel, utensils and containers - GREEN
ammo, weapon cleaning gear, magazines, spare parts - RED
first aid, sanitation, health and medical - YELLOW
tools, sharps, engineering and EOD gear - BLACK
comms, nav, light, radio equipment and batteries - PURPLE
currency - GOLD

Old WW2, Korea and Vietnam color codes may be different now, so current serving personnel please correct if now wrong...