I haven't had to yet. 15 8.57%
I wear them when I have to. 106 60.57%
Yes! Everyone should be wearing masks! How dare you!! 29 16.57%
Voters: 175. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-28-2020, 01:43 PM
Vampire Slayer

Thanked 12,497 Times in 4,084 Posts

Advertise Here

Wore an N95 for an hour today. Not fun. Hard to breathe, left dents in my face. I hadn’t worn one for that long before. Not looking forward to wearing one for hours when I fly to California and back. I expect to be taking prophylactic hydroxychloroquine then. Maybe I’ll be able to take it off to eat, if they’re still serving meals in first class.
Quick reply to this message
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Buffy For This Useful Post:
Old 05-28-2020, 03:45 PM
SBs Resident Non Prepper

Thanked 10,740 Times in 4,105 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffy View Post
Wore an N95 for an hour today. Not fun. Hard to breathe, left dents in my face. I hadnít worn one for that long before. Not looking forward to wearing one for hours when I fly to California and back. I expect to be taking prophylactic hydroxychloroquine then. Maybe Iíll be able to take it off to eat, if theyíre still serving meals in first class.
I am flying from Boston to Portland Ore in about a week. I bought some paper masks ...I guess you will call them surgical. I donít know.
A lot more comfortable for a long day of travel.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Goodwrench708 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-28-2020, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksmedman View Post
Just curious, who here has not worn a mask a single time during this "pandemic?"

I've worn one at work (the OR), but that's nothing new. Haven't worn one once outside of an OR. Nor will I.
My wife has only worn one once, when she went back to her school to close out her classroom for the summer. And only because her district made her. She knows they're useless as teats on a boar hog too.

Maybe give a general location as explanation? Would like to see if there are any trends.
Why would anyone wear a mask for a fake virus? They are counting those who do so they know how many need to be put down for being too stupid.
Old 05-28-2020, 05:30 PM
Dunning-Kruger Survivor

Thanked 21,566 Times in 5,548 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mellowde View Post
Why would anyone wear a mask for a fake virus? They are counting those who do so they know how many need to be put down for being too stupid.
I'm pretty sure the virus isn't fake...
I don't think the impact was worth panic, but that's an opinion. The virus is still real though, and it's killed a bunch of people if the numbers are correct.

I do think the mask wearing is patently useless as being exhibited by 99+% of those wearing them. It does ease peoples fears though, so I guess they're effective a s mental placebo. Much of what has been spouted as 'guidelines' has turned out to be bunk, I guess they'll figure it out sometime.

That said, if I was working in, or visiting someone in, a nursing home, or cancer floor, anywhere people have knowingly compromised immune systems, I might just as an added protection. But I'd also be wearing gloves, an iso gown, booties and bouffant... Or I'd just stay the heck away if I wasn't going there professionally.
That, would be somewhat effective. Exam masks and cloth muzzles are not.
Old 05-28-2020, 05:33 PM
Survivor

Thanked 29,456 Times in 7,068 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffy View Post
Wore an N95 for an hour today. Not fun. Hard to breathe, left dents in my face. I hadn’t worn one for that long before. Not looking forward to wearing one for hours when I fly to California and back. I expect to be taking prophylactic hydroxychloroquine then. Maybe I’ll be able to take it off to eat, if they’re still serving meals in first class.
You don't need and N95 to fly. Just a face cover. The airline will give you something if you don't have your own.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to InOmaha For This Useful Post:
Old 05-28-2020, 05:59 PM

I wear a mask to protect others, not myself. To not wear one in a public place is endangering others. If people choose not to wear a mask, fine..stay home.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to boilermakersrule For This Useful Post:
Old 05-28-2020, 06:34 PM

Default No masks needed

I am aware of the science behind masks, which causes me to know that common masks will not protect me from getting the Covid in any way, nor will it have a significant effect on my ability to transmit it. So I have not worn a mask at all. I have one in my truck in case I need to go someplace where they are required, but so far I have not needed to use it.

I have been to both my doctor's office and dentist over the past few weeks and they all seem keenly aware of this as well since they all were not wearing masks more than usual (the nurse didn't even wear a mask when he was drawing blood, which I feel like they sometimes would do that even before this began). They both took my temp and made me fill out a "covid questionaire", which I guess they are required to do now under state rules, but other then that it was mostly business as usual.

Additionally, I have a friend that is a respiratory therapist in one of the biggest local hospitals and she has worked directly with many of my state's severe Covid cases. She is required to wear full PPE at work (face shield, mask and gloves), but as soon as she is off the clock all that stuff comes off and she interacts normally with everyone. Her take on it was this when I talked to her the other day: "Yes, it can be very bad in severe cases. We call it the lung eater. But the number of people who get severe cases is too small to worry about. Most people do not require any special care and recover without any lasting effects. Though having pre-existing lung and heart conditions, which is more common in the elderly, make you more likely to need medical care."
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bobcat7677 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-28-2020, 06:39 PM
Prepared

Thanked 1,068 Times in 223 Posts

Personally I'm amazed at the amount of preppers on this site who had no supply of any sort of mask prior to this. That almost seems like it should be basic prepping essentials.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to ALprepper For This Useful Post:
Old 05-28-2020, 06:52 PM
Survivor

Thanked 72,729 Times in 22,472 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALprepper View Post
Personally I'm amazed at the amount of preppers on this site who had no supply of any sort of mask prior to this. That almost seems like it should be basic prepping essentials.
You should delete the highlighted section.

I bought a few extra sets of filters for my full face, and bought a bunch of N95's that I gave away.

Unfortunately this 'event' has shown us most of the people here at most pay lip service to being prepared.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Nomad, 2nd For This Useful Post:
Old 05-28-2020, 07:00 PM
Live Free or Die

Thanked 13,040 Times in 3,027 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad, 2nd View Post
You should delete the highlighted section.

I bought a few extra sets of filters for my full face, and bought a bunch of N95's that I gave away.

Unfortunately this 'event' has shown us most of the people here at most pay lip service to being prepared.
It definitely exposed my weakness, I only had 1 box of 10 masks. OTOH, I am still rotating through them.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to A_SonofLiberty For This Useful Post:
Old 05-28-2020, 07:42 PM
Survivor

Thanked 72,729 Times in 22,472 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by A_SonofLiberty View Post
It definitely exposed my weakness, I only had 1 box of 10 masks. OTOH, I am still rotating through them.
You had "some"

None of us are, or ever will be "100% prepared" and we will ALWAYS be able to "do better"

Honestly the only reason I had mine was because you need one due to black mold when your doing flood insurance adjusting.
(I picked up more in Jan, gave/lent several of those out.)

I DO have 100+ P100 cloth masks in a box somewhere around here.... And that was my "check that box" prep.

Point is working on it.
(I confess my rural situation and ability to isolate play a part in me not allocating as much importance to it. if I lived in a urban area I'd do more, for CS in the event of social unrest of nothing else.)

When prices return to normal... Consider a full face.

ETA:
One of my rubber masks is sitting in a box with the clothes I took off before taking my outside shower, and the other is hanging up.

..I recommended in jan/early Feb putting masks in a box or bag and reusing them a month later.

....everyone was in favor of discarding the limited resource vs retaining the ability to reuse it.

...my how times change quickly!
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Nomad, 2nd For This Useful Post:
Old 05-28-2020, 07:48 PM
Si vis pacem, para bellum

Thanked 22,079 Times in 6,084 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobcat7677 View Post
I am aware of the science behind masks, which causes me to know that common masks will not protect me from getting the Covid in any way, nor will it have a significant effect on my ability to transmit it. So I have not worn a mask at all. I have one in my truck in case I need to go someplace where they are required, but so far I have not needed to use it.

I have been to both my doctor's office and dentist over the past few weeks and they all seem keenly aware of this as well since they all were not wearing masks more than usual (the nurse didn't even wear a mask when he was drawing blood, which I feel like they sometimes would do that even before this began). They both took my temp and made me fill out a "covid questionaire", which I guess they are required to do now under state rules, but other then that it was mostly business as usual.

Additionally, I have a friend that is a respiratory therapist in one of the biggest local hospitals and she has worked directly with many of my state's severe Covid cases. She is required to wear full PPE at work (face shield, mask and gloves), but as soon as she is off the clock all that stuff comes off and she interacts normally with everyone. Her take on it was this when I talked to her the other day: "Yes, it can be very bad in severe cases. We call it the lung eater. But the number of people who get severe cases is too small to worry about. Most people do not require any special care and recover without any lasting effects. Though having pre-existing lung and heart conditions, which is more common in the elderly, make you more likely to need medical care."
even a medical grade earloop mask or just a handkerchief over your face is better than no protection whatsoever. It amazes me that the number of people who are walking around with nothing at all criticizing people with cloth masks. At least the cloth mask people are trying to keep from catching this virus and trying to not spread it to others, what are the ones who are walking around in public with no protection whatsoever, doing?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ghost863 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-28-2020, 07:50 PM
Si vis pacem, para bellum

Thanked 22,079 Times in 6,084 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mellowde View Post
maybe they are counting and planning on putting those of us who wear masks down because we survived this virus after those of you who did nothing all drop dead from it.
Old 05-28-2020, 08:12 PM
Target Shooter

I haven't worn one at all. I was in Food Lion a few days ago. I chose a checkout line with one customer at the register. I walked up and placed my two items on the conveyor belt. I was about three feet from the other customer. She looks at me and retorts, "I guess I'll put my mask back on, since some people won't keep a safe distance!" Then she pulled her mask up from her neck and covered her mouth and nose. She probably thought I was going to be an apologetic bliss-ninny and apologize as I backed away. WRONG! I just stood there looking back at her without saying a word. She kept cutting her eyes sideways and nervously at me. She initially wanted a fight but became very nervous about my obvious indifference as I just looked her like IDGAF. Lots of responses ran through my head, like, "perhaps you should hide under your bed until you get a call from the governor giving you the 'all clear'". But there was something very satisfying about saying and doing nothing as she squirmed to complete her transaction. The irony is, she handed the cashier a hundred dollar bill, previously touched by anybody, and she received several bills and coins as change, also touched by anybody and the cashier. She was not wearing gloves. She put the money in her wallet and in her purse. Again, it was a great opportunity to say something, but I am learning that silence is golden. You never know how a situation may escalate, and you end up on the evening news.
Old 05-28-2020, 08:27 PM
I am interrogative, yes.

Thanked 1,981 Times in 493 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALprepper View Post
Seems like it should be basic home cleaning and home maintenance thing. I never dust or vacuum without an N95, that's why we had a box on hand before the CCP started buying them up.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GrayFoal2 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-28-2020, 08:33 PM
What... me worry??

Signs all over the open retailers that masks are mandatory. So yeah, I put one on. Itís pretty hard to be a greyman if youíre bucking the system. Get in, get out and leave me alone.
Old 05-28-2020, 09:37 PM
His Disciple

Thanked 9,351 Times in 3,658 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerindel View Post
It's a fair point, but it's not as if nobody saw this coming or has been studying these kinds of things for decades.

We aren't left with just 'fear' to guide us. There is an actual science to all of this.
I would almost call that pseudo-science since we do not know everything about this, and are still learning more everyday. Goes back to what I said about the doctors and experts. We may have been studying this for decades, but no one is willing to give all the facts or tell the populace the whole truth.
Old 05-28-2020, 09:38 PM
Bushidoka

Thanked 6,327 Times in 2,108 Posts
Default So Just Out of Curiosity, How Do You Think You Would Transmit It?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobcat7677 View Post
I am aware of the science behind masks, which causes me to know that common masks will not... have a significant effect on my ability to transmit it. "
Other infected people--asymptomatic or not, knowingly or not-- transmit it through droplets emanating from their mouth and nose (as well as on their hands)...you got some other way in mind of how you would transmit it and/or avoid transmitting it?

Fill us in on the science. This could really affect a lot of people, you know.
The Following User Says Thank You to ambos lados For This Useful Post:
Old 05-28-2020, 09:44 PM
His Disciple

Thanked 9,351 Times in 3,658 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colt View Post
We have an entire field of academic study devoted to this, every large hospital has an entire department dedicated to it, every county has a person or a department dedicated to it, entire national and international organizations dedicated to it, etc. Nothing about having pandemics is surprising. They're as predictable and inevitable as hurricanes.
And with all the stimulus money being given out for "this" pandemic, everyone is driven by by it. Hospitals are given money per person that is diagnosed with COVID, and those put on ventilators, and those with it on their death certificate...sorry...IMO I believe the numbers are skewed. And there is the matter of people who are put on ventilators with COVID but don't die from the COVID but from the improper ventilation treatment because we don't know enough about this disease to properly treat these patients with COVID on a ventilator. There is a difference between dying with COVID and dying from COVID.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to esheldon For This Useful Post:
Old 05-28-2020, 09:47 PM
Survivor

Thanked 29,456 Times in 7,068 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by esheldon View Post
I would almost call that pseudo-science since we do not know everything about this, and are still learning more everyday. Goes back to what I said about the doctors and experts. We may have been studying this for decades, but no one is willing to give all the facts or tell the populace the whole truth.
The vast majority of people are too stupid to know how dumb they are. I work in the power industry and the stupid is strong even here where people are more informed. Most talking about "the grid" couldn't even tell you which grid services them.

The greatest fool is the fool that thinks they are smartest person.

The specialist in this event can't even dumb it down enough for the idiots out there to get a basic understanding. And really, there's no reason for them to waste their time. I've tried in my specialty but it's like trying to teach turbo machinery to kindergarteners.