hahahahahahahaha
Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to n1d For This Useful Post:
Old 05-28-2020, 04:20 PM
Survivor

Thanked 13,377 Times in 4,618 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleKitty View Post
I think some are in for a rude shock when the second wave hits.

Obstinately exposing yourself at every opportunity (and making a bank deposit or buying groceries does not count), literally inviting people into your home... "But no one we know got sick".

YET.

I venture you will see a big spike where pretty much everyone you know is sick or dying... but by then it will be too late. Then we will see a change of tune "OMG what have I done!? Why didn't they tell us?" but TOO LATE.

I don't see how anyone who has a loved one can do this. I mean, I get sick and die that's one thing... but watching someone I love drowning in their own fluids...

This isn't just @Sonya but all the reckless ones wandering around out there. I am indirectly keeping the mail going. Then I get groceries and come home.

You can say anything you like, I won't get offended. I feel bad for you because your life is even much much much worse than most people's.

But, I think you are most likely way more exposed to any sort of virus than we are having one other couple that is not sick visit us.

All of us have decided ( we talked about it while they were here) that hiding in your house and not living life is not what we want to do . If it is our time to go , it just is. My friend told me she had the Hong Kong flu as a kid in the late 60s and was sick for 4 months. She also said many people on her island died from it, but nobody shut anything down at that time.

Unless you hide in your house for ev er you are going to be exposed to it at some point.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to sonya1 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-28-2020, 04:30 PM
Survivor

Thanked 13,377 Times in 4,618 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrizzlyetteAdams View Post
I agree, total lockdowns are not the answer, but due diligence is! Masks, social distancing, etc. etc. until we know more about the enemy that we are up against.
I don't have a problem wearing a mask at the farmers market or shopping at Walmart, but I DO have a problem if someone tells me who I can and cannot invite to my own house . Besides, the masks are stupid anyway, most people don't wear the right kind or in the right way. Mine is the right kind and I do wear it in the right way, but many people around here don't. And our stupid governor just made them " mandatory" which means, NOBODY around here is going to wear one come Monday out of spite because everyone around SW Virginia hates him.

I firmly believe it should be up to the INDIVIDUAL to protect themselves any way they see fit. This means, if you are worried about the virus, stay home, or wear proper PPE. Don't tell other people what to do, it's none of your business.

Btw, we are contributing to keeping the food supply chain going. We just picked up a box of meat chicks at the post office and I do plan on selling some when they are grown
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to sonya1 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-28-2020, 04:47 PM

Yes-Bluefield. She works the Med-Surg floor, an RN. People are jumping ship very quickly, but she's trying to hold on until she has another offer in place. Princeton bought the hospital out back last year-six months later, this. My daughter has applied for positions in Beckley and Princeton, Pensacola, Florida and Atlanta-places we have some family scattered about. Good luck to your friends' son and family.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BackwaterHerbalist For This Useful Post:
Old 05-28-2020, 04:52 PM
Crap Creek Survivor

Thanked 6,323 Times in 1,448 Posts

Masks go a long way to protecting others from the wearer. That's been pretty well established around the entire world, long before the CCP virus was unleashed.

It's not about "mah rights" but about everyone's rights.

Maskless asymptomatic carriers are shedding their crap everywhere they go, and unfortunately, the virus is much more than just a "boomer remover." People of all ages are suffering/dying, even if they were healthy to begin with.

If it were not for that unpleasant fact, we could just tell all the old people to stay home and just keep out of harm's way, right? Then the problem would be mostly solved.

If the virus runs through the majority of the population in one stretch, then we have problems with the too many people getting sick at work (think: food supply, health care, military, etc.) A "small percentage" of an entire population is a large number of sick people. So, in that light, I understand why there have been lockdowns around the world.

Too bad those pesky little details are in the way of a normal society at the moment.

Tweeting my published articles & news of upcoming books about self-reliance, survival gardening, primitive living, disaster preps & making hard times (almost) painless: https://twitter.com/GrizzlyeteAdams

Last edited by GrizzlyetteAdams; 05-28-2020 at 06:24 PM.. Reason: Added a word: "maskless" in the third paragraph.
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to GrizzlyetteAdams For This Useful Post:
Old 05-28-2020, 04:56 PM
Crap Creek Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by n1d View Post
Even funnier than that, are the photos I've seen of looters wearing masks! How iconic of these times...

Tweeting my published articles & news of upcoming books about self-reliance, survival gardening, primitive living, disaster preps & making hard times (almost) painless: https://twitter.com/GrizzlyeteAdams
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GrizzlyetteAdams For This Useful Post:
Old 05-28-2020, 05:38 PM
Mod Certified PITA!

Thanked 21,351 Times in 7,698 Posts

Quote:
Regardless of where the virus makes itself felt, I think we are about to get hit in the food supply in the next couple of months. It is inevitable that more workers will get sick and impact the food industry...much harder this time around! So many people acting like this is no worse than the flu.

<snip>
Prices are already going up, and supply is down, especially in regards to meats. After not going to the stores for two-three months I'm going now, and am stunned by the prices. But I am buying a lot because I expect things to get worse, even before the next wave hits.

Last edited by Moccasin; 05-28-2020 at 05:46 PM.. Reason: mispelling
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Moccasin For This Useful Post:
Old 05-28-2020, 05:44 PM
Possum Lover

Thanked 27,469 Times in 9,809 Posts

I'm not saying stay locked down forever but just take some precautions.

For instance, I doubt we will ever eat at a buffet for a long while, if ever.

Neighbor cleared out 98% of the dead tree. Fence is still down I guess that is tomorrow. And I got my order from Rainy Day and got it put away, too. It's not a lot as "we" would see it but it does a nice start on filling up a spare closet.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to PurpleKitty For This Useful Post:
Old 05-28-2020, 05:48 PM
Hunter

Thanked 3,339 Times in 861 Posts

Quote:
Masks go a long way to protecting others from the wearer. That's been pretty well established around the entire world, long before the CCP virus was unleashed.

It's not about "mah rights" but about everyone's rights.

Asymptomatic carriers are shedding their crap everywhere they go, and unfortunately, the virus is much more than just a "boomer remover." People of all ages are suffering/dying, even if they were healthy to begin with.

If it were not for that unpleasant fact, we could just tell all the old people to stay home and just keep out of harm's way, right? Then the problem would be mostly solved.

If the virus runs through the majority of the population in one stretch, then we have problems with the too many people getting sick at work (think: food supply, health care, military, etc.) A "small percentage" of an entire population is a large number of sick people. So, in that light, I understand why there have been lockdowns around the world.

Too bad those pesky little details are in the way of a normal society at the moment.
A well-poised callout, sadly there are some other 'pesky little problems' in the way of the FMS (Fully Masked Society).

Fr'instrance - and my apologies if you have already experienced this - but have you tried working >12, up to 16 hours on your feet non-stop with a mask for others' protection? Them can be 'routine' double shifts in the OR and ICU and Infectious Disease and Oncology wards well before the Chinese virus got blown down the turnpike. There will be problems if we try to get a majority of the population to participate in that LARP. The Law of Unintended Consequences don't care about good intentions.

Also, vilifying asymptomatic carriers as crap-shedders is a little bit strange, because anyone of us could be an asymptomatic carrier right now or in the future - if we haven't already been in the past... I'd prefer different language, how about UCDAs (Unwitting ChiFlu Distribution Agents...
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Madoc For This Useful Post:
Old 05-28-2020, 06:09 PM
Crap Creek Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madoc View Post
A well-poised callout, sadly there are some other 'pesky little problems' in the way of the FMS (Fully Masked Society).

Fr'instrance - and my apologies if you have already experienced this - but have you tried working >12, up to 16 hours on your feet non-stop with a mask for others' protection? Them can be 'routine' double shifts in the OR and ICU and Infectious Disease and Oncology wards well before the Chinese virus got blown down the turnpike. There will be problems if we try to get a majority of the population to participate in that LARP. The Law of Unintended Consequences don't care about good intentions.

Also, vilifying asymptomatic carriers as crap-shedders is a little bit strange, because anyone of us could be an asymptomatic carrier right now or in the future - if we haven't already been in the past... I'd prefer different language, how about UCDAs (Unwitting ChiFlu Distribution Agents...
Not vilifying all asymptomatic carriers, just those maskless ones who are hellbent on inflicting themselves on others in the general public arena. (Thanks for pointing it out... I edited my post to reflect this.)

Healthcare workers and others who must wear masks to protect themselves, as well as others, are deserving of better PPE, shorter hours, and increased pay. I have seen photos and videos of horrific bruising and wounds caused by working too many hours wearing N95 masks.

Edited to add: if more people wore masks in public, fewer people would be burdening the health care system...and its workers.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to GrizzlyetteAdams For This Useful Post:
Old 05-28-2020, 06:28 PM
Wannabe Mountain Hermit

Thanked 35,506 Times in 10,082 Posts

We need a little levity in here.

Ray Stevens "Quarantined"

For those of us who are disabled, whether it be SSDI, SSI, Military, family members who are disabled and would like to discuss with others on how we might be able to get through today's times, SHTF or joining a MAG and what challenges may be faced with that.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to TXplowgirl For This Useful Post:
Old 05-28-2020, 06:35 PM
VIP Member

Thanked 7,594 Times in 1,378 Posts

I'm still holding out. Been a good ten weeks.

Of course there may be side effects.

I figure I'll go for the remaining 2.7%.

I truly love living out in the woods among the critters. Well, except scorpions. I really really hate those things.
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Cornly2 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-28-2020, 06:45 PM
Survivor

Thanked 72,916 Times in 22,517 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moccasin View Post
Prices are already going up, and supply is down, especially in regards to meats. After not going to the stores for two-three months I'm going now, and am stunned by the prices. But I am buying a lot because I expect things to get worse, even before the next wave hits.
I did a bacon inventory when I put away the 13 of the 14 lbs of bacon I got the other day. (Had to quality check one.)
I thought I had enough for 20 weeks, but I was wrong.

I underestimated.

Checked the steak pile too. Should run out about the time I get the half.
Seafood milk crate is full, and for the first time I now have a cheese stack.(was less organized with it as I didn't "stack it deep")
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Nomad, 2nd For This Useful Post:
Old 05-28-2020, 06:51 PM
ǝnƃoɹ ǝuoƃ

Thanked 27,325 Times in 8,064 Posts
Thumbs down CAW!

Why isn't there any cat food oar treats made with bacon, ham, snawsage etc....?

My driving buddy loves that stuff, wont ate the imitation and fake dawg crap!
Old 05-28-2020, 07:00 PM
Rom 14:1, 13; Jam 4:11-12

Thanked 33,980 Times in 11,888 Posts

This is psycho gold, CDC updates mortality rate to a mere 0.4%. https://www.wcnc.com/mobile/article/...5-123459f0082b

Future generations will call ours the cowardly generation, who repeatedly show themselves in the foot, heart, lungs and liver in the vain hope of stopping that mosquito. Good job!
Be prudent, always. Worry, never. Jer 15:16
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to PeterEnergy For This Useful Post:
Old 05-28-2020, 07:35 PM
Survivor

Thanked 72,916 Times in 22,517 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterEnergy View Post
This is psycho gold, CDC updates mortality rate to a mere 0.4%. https://www.wcnc.com/mobile/article/...5-123459f0082b

Future generations will call ours the cowardly generation, who repeatedly show themselves in the foot, heart, lungs and liver in the vain hope of stopping that mosquito. Good job!
Rather than repeat myself I'll quote myself:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justme11 View Post
https://www.wcnc.com/article/news/he...5-123459f0082b

CDC lowers mortality rate to 0.4%

Still not great, but not the world ending plague that caused a global shutdown either.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad, 2nd View Post
What they "lowered" was that it's now what they consider "most likely of 5 scinarios"

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019...scenarios.html

Quote:

Top of Page
Table 1. Parameter Values that vary among the five COVID-19 Pandemic Planning Scenarios. The scenarios are intended to advance public health preparedness and planning. They are not predictions or estimates of the expected impact of COVID-19. The parameter values in each scenario will be updated and augmented over time, as we learn more about the epidemiology of COVID-19. Additional parameter values might be added in the future (e.g., population density, household transmission, and/or race and ethnicity).

Parameter values are based on data received by CDC prior to 4/29/2020

This brought to you by the people who told you millions would die...

If you'll recall I told kev at least 2x that this was NOT TEOTWAWKI.

As I said when they told us to hug a chinese, not to wear masks, and eat at Chinese restaurant:
I don't care what they say, I'm gonna do me.

When they shut down restaurants and told us to wear masks:
I don't care what they say, I'm gonna do me.

An d now.... Guess what I'm gonna do?
Spring of 1918 was much like this. Few deaths, people complaining about having to wear masks, social distancing and businesses being closed.
Then fall came and everybody died.

1968 Hong Kong flu killed as many total as up to now... And then woodstock.

Statistically most viruses become less bad vs kill people and burn itself out.

But it's current status is in no way a "gotcha" moment either way.

We SHOULD of done some basic early quarantine and embargo measures that have been used by countries and people for 3,000 years. But it would of cost (less) money and people are too stupid to consider the future possibilities (like everyone pretending currently that the future is set.) So no politician would do what's best for the country and political suicide.

We continue to have to (not) learn the hard way vs learning from history.

As the son of a history teacher this offends me.
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Nomad, 2nd For This Useful Post:
Old 05-28-2020, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad, 2nd View Post
Spring of 1918 was much like this. Few deaths, people complaining about having to wear masks, social distancing and businesses being closed.
Then fall came and everybody died.
What hyperbole? If everybody died in the fall of 1918, how come people are alive today?
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to PeterEnergy For This Useful Post:
Old 05-28-2020, 07:53 PM
Survivor

Thanked 29,473 Times in 7,069 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterEnergy View Post

The only people scared are those talking bad about others on the internet while hiding themselves. It amazes me people here haven't taken the opportunity to stick it to the man and violate all their orders they feel are unconstitutional.

Hell, I know a lady that cut people's hair at their houses for cash to get around the restrictions. Cashed the .gov checks and is doing better because of the virus. The bootleggers of old would be ashamed.

If you're too scared to make money off this event it's your own fault. Stop throwing stones and get out there.

The people on this forum are all talk and no action. They can't prep and can't take advantage of a situation. In the event of a real emergency they wouldn't survive or be able to function in the black market that develops.

They might as well head to the nearest FEMA camp with internet and complain about it online.

Whether anyone likes it or not,this happened. If people can't take advantage of it, then they have a serious lack of skill that should be addressed. Wish it were different in one hand, **** in the other and see which fills up first. That's what previous generations would tell you.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to InOmaha For This Useful Post:
Old 05-28-2020, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InOmaha View Post
The only people scared are those talking bad about others on the internet while hiding themselves.
Nothing could be further from the truth. Just listen to Governor Cuomo. Out in the open, scared to death, blaming Trump for his decision to let so many die in nursing home's.

An analysis of the 0.4% who die indicate the sacred cow of equality is false. That is, they are NOT dying equally across all demographic groups. Men die ~2x. Blacks die ~3x. Immune compromised die much more, like ~15x. Germans die ~1/3x for some reason. I'm not sure when high risk factors are multiplied, such as old + hypertension + diabetes, etc.

And one other thing. If you cannot stand the heat, get out of the kitchen! That is, a form of infantilization is to suppose you can stir up alarm and when you are 97% wrong, not be criticized for it.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PeterEnergy For This Useful Post:
Old 05-28-2020, 08:24 PM
VIP Member

Thanked 4,331 Times in 1,363 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paravani View Post
I would double check the law. If the tree is in your yard, you might be responsible for removing it.
Here in NY if my tree falls onto your property you are responsible for the part in your Yard.