Notices

Advertise Here

Old 05-28-2020, 08:50 AM
Grevcon 10

Thanked 38,567 Times in 9,218 Posts

Advertise Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad, 2nd View Post
I believe IIRC he tried to get her to quit, but she wouldn't because she has a senior position she wants to keep and also wants to help people (you know, the thing those nursing types try to do.) and turned the tables on him so HE gets to take care of the kids.

Excuse me:
"Princess who owns all the ice cream"
Yep. She's exactly where she wanted to end up with her career. She's been clear that she let me do mine and now I owe her. She had to pass this position up the first time because of my work and I'm still living that one down. She will decide when she leaves and I'm 'not allowed' to work if it interferes with her career. Thus why I'm basically in early retirement not working medical anymore and gave up on having a commission to have this weird at-will part time thing. Trust me, I'd rather be the one out doing exciting stuff than at home serving Her Highness (not that I don't love her).

Last edited by GrizzlyetteAdams; 05-28-2020 at 02:39 PM.. Reason: removed a hiss n spit quote
Quick reply to this message
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Colt For This Useful Post:
Old 05-28-2020, 09:18 AM
Possum Lover

Thanked 27,419 Times in 9,786 Posts

N1, I cracked up. I abbreviate most names and the ones I don't I do nicknames. I seldom call my husband by his legal name unless I am angry at him.

Chainsaws going outside, going to be going all day I think.

I told my husband the tree is approximately the size of the house.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PurpleKitty For This Useful Post:
Old 05-28-2020, 10:16 AM
Grevcon 10

Thanked 38,567 Times in 9,218 Posts

They're doing their part.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Colt For This Useful Post:
Old 05-28-2020, 10:25 AM
Crap Creek Survivor

Thanked 6,304 Times in 1,442 Posts

****MODERATOR'S NOTICE****

When I created this Coronavirus Chat thread, I mentioned that this was a place to speak your mind...not air out grudges with each other.

There is a place for that: the Dark Side, not in here.

Please keep your personal grudges and drama out of this thread. Consider this a fair warning.

Tweeting my published articles & news of upcoming books about self-reliance, survival gardening, primitive living, disaster preps & making hard times (almost) painless: https://twitter.com/GrizzlyeteAdams
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to GrizzlyetteAdams For This Useful Post:
Old 05-28-2020, 11:47 AM
Target Shooter

Thanked 1,548 Times in 418 Posts

We could still get a handle on covid19 if we had plenty of ppe, testing, tracing and some way to corral the dumb bubbas. I don’t understand after all this time we still aren’t doing what needs to be done to save citizens instead of just flattening the curve. Otherwise we are stuck somewhere in the middle. It’s unlikely we will all out burnout in a few months and there is no way everyone can afford to stay home. We are going to continue to limp along opening than closing businesses until more and more are permanently closed.

A cousin’s (I have a lot of cousins)husband was called back to work along with other employees. He was given no choice in a closed environment. It took a few days but someone tested positive. Everyone was sent home. It isn’t just restaurants and salons. All businesses are being affected.
The Following User Says Thank You to Grannygrump For This Useful Post:
Old 05-28-2020, 11:58 AM
Survivor

Thanked 13,350 Times in 4,608 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleKitty View Post
Big storm today, neighbor's tree fell in the yard, narrowly missing the house. I think the dog (cat) house is toast though. That is going to be a HUGE cleanup job. So thankful it is not our problem.

I really want a boring life but seem to have signed up for the five star adventure package.

I am just glad the A/C compressor, house, and cats are OK. I was almost out back rolling up the exterior blinds but *something* told me to go back in the house.
Well, I see you have your problem of the month, but it isn't corona virus! Good luck with the tree, and glad you and husband are still virus free, as I expected
The Following User Says Thank You to sonya1 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-28-2020, 12:03 PM
Survivor

We had a nice Memorial Day weekend and visit from our friends from Florida. We did not social distance one bit, and had a nice time. They just left to go back today.

They are even more unconcerned than we are about the virus at this point, and they are older and have a few health problems . He is ready to book another cruise just as soon as they open up! I wouldn't even do that! ( besides I don't like cruises) The thought of getting stuck on some quarantined cruise ship does not appeal to me one bit. They couldn't pay me to do it

One other thing, their son works at a hospital in West Virginia, and they are closing down the hospital because it went bankrupt because of corona virus, so now he has to find a new job . I didn't think hospitals would close over this. And, his hospital did not have one stinking case of corona. So all for nothing.
Oh and our friends and their son, and anyone they know don't know anyone that has had the virus, much less died from it.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to sonya1 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-28-2020, 12:06 PM
Possum Lover

Happily I can still fill my vending machines.

Today has turned out to be housework day. It is looking good. Outside, not so much but they have about half the tree hauled off. We have to work tomorrow but I tell you I am getting out of the house pretty soon.

Caregiving can be a pain he likes to chew his food forever when I feed him... it is tedious. I am glad he enjoys his food but not crazy about standing there for 20 minutes.

That tree came within 5 feet of our house that could have been so ugly....
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PurpleKitty For This Useful Post:
Old 05-28-2020, 12:16 PM
Hunter

Thanked 2,584 Times in 731 Posts

The either/or mentality that forces a choice between total lock-down and totally open is a false dichotomy in my opinion. There are safety precautions that can be taken and are being taken by responsible business owners and by private citizens.

Of course, some people (usually young people) who think they're bulletproof and will go out and do stupid things. The left believes that if anyone does anything stupid that the only possible course of action is to treat everyone as stupid. That, of course, is utter nonsense. Deal with the stupid people but leave the rest of us alone. We'll figure it out.
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to RichardinColorado For This Useful Post:
Old 05-28-2020, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonya1 View Post
We had a nice Memorial Day weekend and visit from our friends from Florida. We did not social distance one bit, and had a nice time. They just left to go back today.

They are even more unconcerned than we are about the virus at this point, and they are older and have a few health problems . He is ready to book another cruise just as soon as they open up! I wouldn't even do that! ( besides I don't like cruises) The thought of getting stuck on some quarantined cruise ship does not appeal to me one bit. They couldn't pay me to do it

One other thing, their son works at a hospital in West Virginia, and they are closing down the hospital because it went bankrupt because of corona virus, so now he has to find a new job . I didn't think hospitals would close over this. And, his hospital did not have one stinking case of corona. So all for nothing.
Oh and our friends and their son, and anyone they know don't know anyone that has had the virus, much less died from it.
Sounds like the same hospital my daughter works at, and now is tasked with finding another job, hopefully in the area-if not, out of state.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to BackwaterHerbalist For This Useful Post:
Old 05-28-2020, 01:19 PM
Possum Lover

I think some are in for a rude shock when the second wave hits.

Obstinately exposing yourself at every opportunity (and making a bank deposit or buying groceries does not count), literally inviting people into your home... "But no one we know got sick".

YET.

I venture you will see a big spike where pretty much everyone you know is sick or dying... but by then it will be too late. Then we will see a change of tune "OMG what have I done!? Why didn't they tell us?" but TOO LATE.

I don't see how anyone who has a loved one can do this. I mean, I get sick and die that's one thing... but watching someone I love drowning in their own fluids...

This isn't just @Sonya but all the reckless ones wandering around out there. I am indirectly keeping the mail going. Then I get groceries and come home.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to PurpleKitty For This Useful Post:
Old 05-28-2020, 01:49 PM
Survivor

Thanked 72,727 Times in 22,471 Posts

Quote:

I venture you will see a big spike where pretty much everyone you know is sick or dying... but by then it will be too late. Then we will see a change of tune "OMG what have I done!? Why didn't they tell us?" but TOO LATE.
It is still not TEOTWAWKI type virus.

It may evolve to something like that.

It may not.

I'd still have a 99% chance of not dying due to my age and health as of current viruses.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Nomad, 2nd For This Useful Post:
Old 05-28-2020, 02:15 PM
Wannabe Mountain Hermit

Thanked 35,469 Times in 10,071 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpals View Post
Another chicken post - skip if these annoy you.

I've been researching probable causes for my low hatch rates. 35% viable this batch. Since a lot of them reach pipping stage, but don't make it out of the egg I'm thinking it's the humidity levels. I welcome other suggestions.

My next batch comes out of the turner tomorrow and should hatch Saturday...that's if I caught the temp increase in time and they didn't all die in the shell. I was going to stop there, but may do an experimental hatching and control the humidity levels based on weekly weight loss.
Hey tpals, I've read where your're not getting a very good hatch rate at all.

Where are you keeping your temp and humidity? Everything i've read says to keep the temp around 99.5 to 101 depending if you have air circulating in the incubator First 18 days the recommended range of relative humidity for chicken eggs is 45-50% and the final 3 days increase humidity to 65-70%.

Here is a link from 1 of the hatcheries, my chicken book has just about the same info.

https://meyerhatchery.zendesk.com/hc...g-Chicken-Eggs

Hope this helps.
For those of us who are disabled, whether it be SSDI, SSI, Military, family members who are disabled and would like to discuss with others on how we might be able to get through today's times, SHTF or joining a MAG and what challenges may be faced with that.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TXplowgirl For This Useful Post:
Old 05-28-2020, 03:07 PM
SoJer

Thanked 5,818 Times in 1,836 Posts
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrizzlyetteAdams View Post
...I mentioned that this was a place to speak your mind...not air out grudges with each other.

There is a place for that: the Dark Side...
Fair enough.. Your Romper-Room, your Rules, I can dig it.

..Thus, here is an Express "place for that"... https://www.survivalistboards.com/sh...d.php?t=948566 ...A place where We can, shall we say, 'unmitigatedly speak our minds', and where Ya'll Mods can dump yer vacuum-cleaner bags... Aight?

@ Lefty.. Cya at the bar..

jd
The Following User Says Thank You to SoJ_51 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-28-2020, 03:10 PM
SoJer

Thanked 5,818 Times in 1,836 Posts
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Andy1966 View Post
...Santo and Johnny
Where's the 'Heartmojii'.. Absolutely one of my All-Time Favs.. ..and The Quintessential 'making-out in front of the roaring Fireplace' track (though definitely too-short..

..Great 'backstory' behind that song, also.. Now, I don't know, but I'd bet they / this track was in Stevie Ray Vaughn's 'Top 10', too..

jd
Old 05-28-2020, 03:38 PM
Crap Creek Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoJ_51 View Post
Fair enough.. Your Romper-Room, your Rules, I can dig it.

..Thus, here is an Express "place for that"... https://www.survivalistboards.com/sh...d.php?t=948566 ...A place where We can, shall we say, 'unmitigatedly speak our minds', and where Ya'll Mods can dump yer vacuum-cleaner bags... Aight?

@ Lefty.. Cya at the bar..

jd
Good idea! I shoulda done that and moved all those hiss-n-spit posts there. Would have saved a ton of time, too.

Enjoy the mosh pit, lol.

Tweeting my published articles & news of upcoming books about self-reliance, survival gardening, primitive living, disaster preps & making hard times (almost) painless: https://twitter.com/GrizzlyeteAdams
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to GrizzlyetteAdams For This Useful Post:
Old 05-28-2020, 03:57 PM
Survivor

Thanked 8,661 Times in 2,874 Posts

Quote:
I think some are in for a rude shock when the second wave hits.

Obstinately exposing yourself at every opportunity (and making a bank deposit or buying groceries does not count), literally inviting people into your home... "But no one we know got sick".

YET.

I don't see how anyone who has a loved one can do this. I mean, I get sick and die that's one thing... but watching someone I love drowning in their own fluids...

This isn't just @Sonya but all the reckless ones wandering around out there. I am indirectly keeping the mail going. Then I get groceries and come home.
sorry, not everyone who gets it dies. Since testing is up, the numbers are going way way down. Is it more dangerous than the flu, yes...is it something to hide in a cave about, absolutely not. More people will die from spousal abuse, alcoholism, not going to the hospital for other ailments, child abuse, robbery, going hungry...if we keep the STUPID lockdown going that's crushing the economy.
Old 05-28-2020, 04:04 PM
Survivor

Thanked 29,456 Times in 7,068 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by FalconsBravesHawks View Post
sorry, not everyone who gets it dies. Since testing is up, the numbers are going way way down. Is it more dangerous than the flu, yes...is it something to hide in a cave about, absolutely not. More people will die from spousal abuse, alcoholism, not going to the hospital for other ailments, child abuse, robbery, going hungry...if we keep the STUPID lockdown going that's crushing the economy.
If you add every other cause of death together they will be more than this virus. If you don't it should end the year the 3rd leading cause of death in the US for 2020. As long as we don't count medical malpractice. Then it will be 4.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to InOmaha For This Useful Post:
Old 05-28-2020, 04:10 PM
Crap Creek Survivor

Regardless of where the virus makes itself felt, I think we are about to get hit in the food supply in the next couple of months. It is inevitable that more workers will get sick and impact the food industry...much harder this time around! So many people acting like this is no worse than the flu.

Too bad we are pretty much dealing with an unknown pathogen that keeps on throwing wild cards on the table every time we turn around.

For example:

https://www.bbc.com/news/52760992?fb...o0fXmWK-YD0IBg

We do NOT know long-term repercussions from this CCP virus. Be a shame if we find out it behaves like AIDS, Lyme, cancer, or some other equally nasty disease...

Until we know more about this new virus, I'm not too keen on catching it as so many are hellbent on doing. I just don't get it...why are so many people acting like monkeys with loaded guns??? With this virus, we don't know how or where those "bullets" will fly...geeze.

I agree, total lockdowns are not the answer, but due diligence is! Masks, social distancing, etc. etc. until we know more about the enemy that we are up against.

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to GrizzlyetteAdams For This Useful Post:
Old 05-28-2020, 04:16 PM
Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BackwaterHerbalist View Post
Sounds like the same hospital my daughter works at, and now is tasked with finding another job, hopefully in the area-if not, out of state.
Bluefield?
yes, it sucks. They just had a baby and leased a house for a year, and now they will have to move.
And our friends won't visit as much ( since their son and family will no longer live close to us)

Oh well, life sucks and then you die, how many times do I have to say this?
The Following User Says Thank You to sonya1 For This Useful Post: