I haven't had to yet. 15 8.57%
I wear them when I have to. 106 60.57%
Yes! Everyone should be wearing masks! How dare you!! 29 16.57%
Voters: 175. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-26-2020, 03:01 PM
SBs Resident Non Prepper

Thanked 10,740 Times in 4,105 Posts

Advertise Here

There wonít be any mountains of bodies..... stop being drama queens.
Quick reply to this message
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Goodwrench708 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-26-2020, 03:10 PM
Grevcon 10

Thanked 38,567 Times in 9,218 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodwrench708 View Post
There won’t be any mountains of bodies..... stop being drama queens.
100,000 bodies makes a pretty big mountain. 348,302 if the whole world pitches theirs in. Can stack them 66 miles high. Enough to reach space.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Colt For This Useful Post:
Old 05-26-2020, 03:44 PM
Bushidoka

Thanked 6,327 Times in 2,108 Posts
Default No Matter the Number...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colt View Post
100,000 bodies makes a pretty big mountain. 348,302 if the whole world pitches theirs in. Can stack them 66 miles high. Enough to reach space.
For some, it will never be a real mountain of bodies unless it includes "your" body!
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to ambos lados For This Useful Post:
Old 05-26-2020, 04:04 PM
Survivor

Thanked 29,456 Times in 7,068 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambos lados View Post
Actually I enjoyed the rest of your post and viewpoint, too, but this cracked me up...Warren Buffet being amongst the "old fogies" in your area, but you Gen Xer's are the "smarter age group." Hey, knock yourselves out!
Smarter in that even with a lower chance of death similar to the next younger age group (13% vs 10%) , we seem to be catching it at a rate around 1/2 that same age group (22.2% to 55.1%).

So cautious may be a better word. It could be a local thing too.

I doubt Buffet is going out getting himself exposed unnecessarily. The guy's not stupid.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to InOmaha For This Useful Post:
Old 05-26-2020, 04:08 PM
SBs Resident Non Prepper

Quote:
For some, it will never be a real mountain of bodies unless it includes "your" body!
No...you see there is a difference between us Flu broís and the chicken littles.... we donít wish harm on anyone
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Goodwrench708 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-26-2020, 04:34 PM
Survivor

Time to let it loose so we can see. It's either already done, or we'll light her up and burn it out. I don't see the mask thing lasting more than a couple more weeks except in certain businesses unless we get a massive increase.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to InOmaha For This Useful Post:
Old 05-26-2020, 04:38 PM
ǝnƃoɹ ǝuoƃ

Thanked 27,240 Times in 8,040 Posts
Exclamation CAW!

Pretty funny that wearing a "mask" ha become so political.

edit: freaking "S' key...............

Last edited by n1d; 05-26-2020 at 04:39 PM.. Reason: cause im sure to **** off pam~n~toe
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to n1d For This Useful Post:
Old 05-26-2020, 04:59 PM
Bushidoka

Default What Was That Again? I Didn't Catch the Difference....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodwrench708 View Post
No...you see there is a difference between us Flu bro’s and the chicken littles.... we don’t wish harm on anyone
I get that Flu Bros don't "wish harm" on anyone, though they must concede they may certainly cause harm if they happen to be asymptomatic (or careless) spreaders of the virus. Meanwhile, I'm wondering how the Chicken Littles "wish harm" on someone else? Oh, right, they want others to suffer some discomfort and inconvenience and maybe even a financial penalty for a public good that is debatable, is that it? But who can say they "wish harm" any more than the Flu Bros?

I find it interesting that Goodwrench here is attracting a lot of lightning because of his contemptuous rhetoric. But behind the rhetoric, he is in an interesting situation if he is a bona fide confirmed COVID-19 survivor. And we can expect there will be many more in the same situation in coming weeks and months.

Let's leave aside for now questions of whether and for how long COVID-19 survivors enjoy immunity. Until proven otherwise, I'm willing to assume that, as with most-but-not-all viruses, they do for some period of time after recovering. As such, they are neither at any risk of catching it, nor do they pose the slightest risk to others--mask or no mask.

For them wearing a mask, social distancing, etc. is truly a charade that offers no protection to anyone, and functions purely to calm anxiety by fitting in. Kind of like Goodwrench's rhetoric.

With thousands, going on millions, of recovered COVID-19 patients, working out the social and public health implications of having a growing minority with possible immunity to this scourge is going to lead to some interesting challenges, will it not?
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ambos lados For This Useful Post:
Old 05-26-2020, 05:00 PM
Survivor

It's not political at all. Masks work. Quarantines work. Herd Immunity works. They use entirely different mechanisms. If each are done improperly, each fails at ridding us of the virus.

We tried a half-hearted quarantine. We overlaid half-hearted masks. Now we're on to opening up more and more with a half-hearted masks, half-hearted quarantines, and some refusing to do anything because "________". The last tells us we should skip all the half-hearted measures and let it rip. If nothing happens, great. It's on the downslope. If it stays the same and kills old people we'll at least have an economy for the future and the rest of us play Logan's Run waiting for our turn when we get too old and fall in the high risk category.

If it flares up into a raging inferno nationwide like NYC or Italy, we know masks and quarantines are not an option in the US and we need to go for herd immunity no matter the numbers.

No politics involved. These are the options we're given and we've been working through them. The country is at option 3 now and this weekend shows a large percentage of people saying screw this crap (i.e. social distancing is dumb, quarantines are a conspiracy, masks are unconstitutional, the virus is the flu, etc., etc.). So we're on to option 4. We'll know which way that goes by end of July. But we need to stop wimping out and doing everything half-hearted or this thing won't go away like the other viruses of the past did.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to InOmaha For This Useful Post:
Old 05-26-2020, 05:05 PM
Retired kafir

Thanked 59,760 Times in 13,524 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by InOmaha View Post
Time to let it loose so we can see. It's either already done, or we'll light her up and burn it out. I don't see the mask thing lasting more than a couple more weeks except in certain businesses unless we get a massive increase.
I'm already seeing it. I hit the market today for some milk and produce. Very few masks and NONE on the school age kids that hang around in groups everywhere. But lets close the schools indefinitely so they don't break the magic 6 foot rule.

I picked up a package at the Post Office as well. Me and the three people waiting in line had masks (PO rules), the PO lady did not.

The local Tee Vee news breathlessly announced the latest deaths and new cases last night. Virtually ALL deaths were in nursing homes with the 15 new cases at a VA facility having NO symptoms. They tested everybody and were surprised when those showed up. So what do you do with the estimated 35% of the population who are asymptomatic? Quarantine over a THIRD of the country?

Unless EVERYBODY is tested multiple times, the asymptomatic will continue to spread this until it burns out.

Isn't there a SB member who has had it THREE times, stayed home and used PPE whenever they went out? All the safety measures don't seem to work very well it seems.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Lagnar For This Useful Post:
Old 05-26-2020, 05:10 PM
Grevcon 10

Thanked 38,567 Times in 9,218 Posts

Quote:
It's not political at all. Masks work. Quarantines work. Herd Immunity works. They use entirely different mechanisms. If each are done improperly, each fails at ridding us of the virus.

We tried a half-hearted quarantine. We overlaid half-hearted masks. Now we're on to opening up more and more with a half-hearted masks, half-hearted quarantines, and some refusing to do anything because "________". The last tells us we should skip all the half-hearted measures and let it rip. If nothing happens, great. It's on the downslope. If it stays the same and kills old people we'll at least have an economy for the future and the rest of us play Logan's Run waiting for our turn when we get too old and fall in the high risk category.

If it flares up into a raging inferno nationwide like NYC or Italy, we know masks and quarantines are not an option in the US and we need to go for herd immunity no matter the numbers.

No politics involved. These are the options we're given and we've been working through them. The country is at option 3 now and this weekend shows a large percentage of people saying screw this crap (i.e. social distancing is dumb, quarantines are a conspiracy, masks are unconstitutional, the virus is the flu, etc., etc.). So we're on to option 4. We'll know which way that goes by end of July. But we need to stop wimping out and doing everything half-hearted or this thing won't go away like the other viruses of the past did.
Yep. The important thing here is that people stick to it and live with their decisions. The worst thing now is for all the people who wanted things open to panic when numbers rise and decide they want things closed and start wearing masks and avoiding people, and then change their minds again after a bit and open it back up and throw away their masks, close it, open it, and we just get into a cycle of closing and opening that ensures the virus never fully burns out and never gets fully contained.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Colt For This Useful Post:
Old 05-26-2020, 05:17 PM
Bushidoka

Default Hush Your Mouth...

Quote:
...We tried a half-hearted quarantine. We overlaid half-hearted masks. Now we're on to opening up more and more with a half-hearted masks, half-hearted quarantines, and some refusing to do anything because "________". The last tells us we should skip all the half-hearted measures and let it rip. If nothing happens, great. It's on the downslope. If it stays the same and kills old people we'll at least have an economy for the future and the rest of us play Logan's Run waiting for our turn when we get too old and fall in the high risk category.

At this rate they will never open the border! I can get to Europe and Asia without going through the US, but how the heck am I supposed to get to my place in Central America or visit my 96 y.o father in California? Forty-nine years of reporting non-resident taxes to Uncle Sam, and now I might as well be a draft dodger or a fugitive! Guys, you are cramping my lifestyle in a way that mask and goggles never would!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ambos lados For This Useful Post:
Old 05-26-2020, 05:19 PM
Retired kafir

Thanked 59,760 Times in 13,524 Posts
Default Great Depression 2020

Quote:
Oh, right, they want others to suffer some discomfort and inconvenience and maybe even a financial penalty for a public good that is debatable, is that it?
So losing your job, your business, your house or your apartment is an INCONVENIENCE?

Quote:
About of 25% of the workforce is unemployed or underemployed
https://www.marketwatch.com/story/gr...rse-2020-05-08

Quote:
Things are likely to get worse before they get better: Goldman Sachs issued a warning earlier in May that the unemployment rate in the US could peak at 25 percent in 2020, more than at the very height of the Great Depression when the annual jobless figure stood at 24.9 percent in 1933.
https://en.as.com/en/2020/05/20/othe...53_687220.html
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Lagnar For This Useful Post:
Old 05-26-2020, 05:25 PM

Went to walk at our local mall today...95% of people NOT wearing masks, not maintaining 6 foot distance recommendation. In Walmart two days ago, about 80% of customers NOT wearing masks. In my estimation this is a visual IQ test and 80% and 95% of people fail the IQ test...its a visual indication of STUPID! God bless America where we all have the God given right to be stupid! Nearly 100k deaths in America from this virus and some still think its a hoax! How can 100k deaths be a ****ing hoax? You can't pound stupid out of stupid!
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to 556308dawg For This Useful Post:
Old 05-26-2020, 05:33 PM
Survivor

Unemployment here got to 8.3%. But it should go down quickly now that they are opening back up. It was a 5+ percent during the last recession. All the hair dressers are back to work so that should lower it a couple percent. We should be closer to 3-5% soon as things open up, but we lost a lot of touristy stuff this year like concerts, the college world series, the Olympic swim trials, and an NCAA basketball bracket.

Since food is our largest industry, we didn't get hit like other places. It will be interesting to see though how many travel related jobs return. The federal government was one of the largest purchasers of airline tickets and hotel rooms. They probably won't get back to their previous travel levels until after next year. They are already trying to figure out how to space people out more in office buildings by having more people work from home. You know, Trump and all.

I probably won't get to the office building again until after the 4th of July. They already gave me masks to wear.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to InOmaha For This Useful Post:
Old 05-26-2020, 05:52 PM
SBs Resident Non Prepper

Quote:
Originally Posted by 556308dawg View Post
Went to walk at our local mall today...95% of people NOT wearing masks, not maintaining 6 foot distance recommendation. In Walmart two days ago, about 80% of customers NOT wearing masks. In my estimation this is a visual IQ test and 80% and 95% of people fail the IQ test...its a visual indication of STUPID! God bless America where we all have the God given right to be stupid! Nearly 100k deaths in America from this virus and some still think its a hoax! How can 100k deaths be a ****ing hoax? You can't pound stupid out of stupid!
This is twice now I think you have made this decision to go to the mall. And both times you had the same complaint
So why do you keep going to these places?
Who is actually having a problem with IQ?
Whatís the real hoax?
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Goodwrench708 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-26-2020, 07:16 PM
Bushidoka

Default One Swallow Doesn't Make a Spring...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lagnar View Post
...The local Tee Vee news breathlessly announced the latest deaths and new cases last night. Virtually ALL deaths were in nursing homes with the 15 new cases at a VA facility having NO symptoms. They tested everybody and were surprised when those showed up. So what do you do with the estimated 35% of the population who are asymptomatic? Quarantine over a THIRD of the country?

Unless EVERYBODY is tested multiple times, the asymptomatic will continue to spread this until it burns out.
It might not be fair to extrapolate endless new cases from a single round (or even several rounds) of testing the asymptomatic.

Just as exponential increases tend not to continue forever, just as testing more people will tend to increase the number of confirmed cases, expanding your testing to include more asymptomatic will tend to turn up more new cases, too. But why should we expect this trend to last until Kingdom Come? Fewer daily new cases might be a better indicator to show whether you are gaining control at any given level of public health behaviour.

It could also be that knowing where your new cases are coming from is also a better indicator that things are coming under control (assuming you test and isolate contacts of the new cases). Even if you were getting a small number of new cases, but you had no idea where they were coming from, you would still have an uncontrolled outbreak with the potential to flare up.

When we expanded our testing to include more asymptomatic people, the daily new cases went up for the first 3 days. But then they resumed their downward trend. We have now had asymptomatic testing for more than a month, definitely turning up some new lines of community transmission, but these are then quickly traced and monitored. Even with aggressive testing, fingers crossed, daily new cases have so far continued to fall.

As in Singapore and S.Korea, just one mis-handled asymptomatic (or stubborn) superspreader can cause new infections to flare dramatically. But they didn't throw in the towel at such a setback, and I hope you guys won't either.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ambos lados For This Useful Post:
Old 05-26-2020, 07:32 PM
Abnormality biased.

Thanked 22,119 Times in 6,390 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colt View Post
Yep. The important thing here is that people stick to it and live with their decisions. The worst thing now is for all the people who wanted things open to panic when numbers rise and decide they want things closed and start wearing masks and avoiding people, and then change their minds again after a bit and open it back up and throw away their masks, close it, open it, and we just get into a cycle of closing and opening that ensures the virus never fully burns out and never gets fully contained.
This of course, is probably the most likely.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Aerindel For This Useful Post:
Old 05-26-2020, 09:50 PM
I am interrogative, yes.

Thanked 1,981 Times in 493 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lagnar View Post
Isn't there a SB member who has had it THREE times, stayed home and used PPE whenever they went out? All the safety measures don't seem to work very well it seems.
Yikes! Who was that?
The Following User Says Thank You to GrayFoal2 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-26-2020, 09:53 PM
The Mighty Pen

Thanked 11,752 Times in 855 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrayFoal2 View Post
Yikes! Who was that?
Paravani thinks she's had it three times. Has not been tested yet that I know of.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to tpals For This Useful Post: