Voters: 175. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-25-2020, 06:52 PM
Live Free or Die

Thanked 13,039 Times in 3,027 Posts

Advertise Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad, 2nd View Post

Point being:

Veterans day is for the living (well, is and car and furniture sales)
Memorial day is for the dead.

Yet, I bet many more non-vets get the day off with pay than actual vets who served and then took civilian jobs after they got out.
Quick reply to this message
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to A_SonofLiberty For This Useful Post:
Old 05-25-2020, 06:57 PM
Green Eggs and Spam

Thanked 9,825 Times in 2,728 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colt View Post
Has absolutely nothing to do with time. It's about not spreading contaminates that the mask may have caught.
DECON!

Decon is extremely difficult.

Saw a lady today, wore a mask, seemed paranoid about social distancing.

While her clothes were in the washing machine at the laundromat, she took off her mask and sat on it with right butt cheek against the local bench.

A few minutes later put it back on her face!

Might as well as just licked the bench.

I have USAF NBC training and exercise experience.

I do not tend to put myself into a situation where I would feel the need to Decon.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sprig For This Useful Post:
Old 05-25-2020, 07:00 PM
Survivor

Thanked 72,729 Times in 22,472 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by A_SonofLiberty View Post
I know, but do people actually do it? I doubt most do.
Most people don't prep or save for retirement either.

Has no bearing on my actions except to account for their inaction.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Nomad, 2nd For This Useful Post:
Old 05-25-2020, 07:49 PM
Bushidoka

Thanked 6,327 Times in 2,108 Posts
Default Since I am High-Risk for Respiratory Infections...

Since SARS, I have actually carried N-95 and goggles in carry-on when travelling for the past 16 years or so. (I have a little kit of hand sanitizer, Wet Ones and mask that all nest into the goggles.) But I never used them until this year on a flight home from SFO in late February when I heard uncovered coughing behind me. On that flight I was the only one, and I did catch a lot of silent eye-rolling from cabin staff and fellow passengers. (But they don't have my lungs, so I didn't care.)

I would say that not until about mid- to late-March did I start seeing other people wearing little cloth or surgical-type masks in public. Now it is not only commonplace, but I see some people calling out others who are not wearing masks...even me sometimes if I'm still outdoors and haven't yet donned mine! Considering there must be asymptomatic transmission, I have to say I actually appreciate seeing so many people in masks in enclosed spaces, as I think it probably cuts down on the viral load for everyone.

For my own protection, I am pretty meticulous about wearing respirator mask and goggles when I'm going to be in an enclosed or indoor public space or anywhere I can't be sure I can control the distance from others, especially places like doctors offices or labs or anyplace there could be a lineup. (I might add that wisely or unwisely, I also feel perfectly safe outdoors with no PPE as long as I can maintain distance, so I spend time outdoors walking and even socializing every day.)
But as others have said, the learning curve of mastering decontamination awareness and procedures coming and going from home has actually been the most challenging part for me.

Now that most retailers have caught onto the erection of barriers and controlling traffic flow (and with most people wearing masks), I have started feeling safer wearing only the little cloth masks without goggles like everyone else in those situations. I'm not sure this is wise, but it allows me to extend my rotating mask supply, which I "clean" by leaving them in numbered paper bags for 10 days each.

Meanwhile, to the many who are not high-risk, who still take the trouble and discomfort to wear masks in indoor public spaces, I just want to say a warm "thank you" on behalf of those of us at higher risk who may also have to share those spaces.
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to ambos lados For This Useful Post:
Old 05-25-2020, 07:55 PM
Abnormality biased.

Thanked 22,122 Times in 6,391 Posts

Quote:
I doubt that as well. Probably less than 1%

But the idea of being a prepper/survivalist is to be better at stuff like that than most people.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Aerindel For This Useful Post:
Old 05-25-2020, 08:27 PM
SBs Resident Non Prepper

Thanked 10,740 Times in 4,105 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerindel View Post
It is.

And we will point out how painful ignorant and self centered you are at every opportunity to make it clear to the silent majority that even though your fingers are tapping, you have no idea what you are talking about when it comes to anything survival related at it seems you lack even the most basic philosophical concepts.

Masks and gloves are only useless in your hands...because you don't know how to use them, and lack the fortitude to accept the inconvenience.
If I am riding in my truck.... who am I putting at risk?
If I am walking outside ..... who am I putting at risk?

Answer is ..... no one.
The Following User Says Thank You to Goodwrench708 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-25-2020, 08:30 PM
Abnormality biased.

Thanked 22,122 Times in 6,391 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodwrench708 View Post
If I am riding in my truck.... who am I putting at risk?
If I am walking outside ..... who am I putting at risk?

Answer is ..... no one.
Nobody said you where...
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Aerindel For This Useful Post:
Old 05-25-2020, 08:48 PM
Dunning-Kruger Survivor

Thanked 21,566 Times in 5,548 Posts

Thanks for the answers everyone. Thanked everyone in the thread as I'm agnostic about the whole thing for others, though I have obvious opinions about it for myself. Some interesting info shared here, good reading.

I appreciate those who put where they were and the rules/regs for that area, helps one get a sense of what's really going on out there. I also think I may be a week or three late on a real measurement, many places are easing now.

It seems the vast majority of people are wearing them when required and/or when they feel they need to for themselves. Number two was those who feel we should all be wearing them. Interesting. I was wondering how much of that would be regional, or if it's more widespread.
Not so many in the no way boat, also interesting.

I hope we can all look back on all this and learn something from the AAR, and maybe have a laugh... though there are many who have suffered and lost. Nothing funny about any of that.
Old 05-25-2020, 09:18 PM
Survivor

Thanked 7,394 Times in 3,081 Posts

Haven't bothered to wear one yet. Live in a very rural area and very few wear them and mostly those who do are mandated by their employers.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Observer For This Useful Post:
Old 05-25-2020, 09:27 PM
His Disciple

Thanked 9,351 Times in 3,658 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrypticCRICKET View Post
I wear a mask in indoor retail spaces because I believe that those confined spaces are where I'm most likely to cross paths with the airborn coronavirus.

I think most people are being careful to not get the virus and then carry it to more people but not everyone on the street is capable of making rational choices. I was in a small chain grocery store the other day in the socially distanced checkout line and an older female customer who was wearing PPE tried to pay for her groceries with Asian currency. She spoke English perfectly and wasn't Asian so that doesn't offer an explanation. Crazy as a bed bug or off her meds I don't know but obviously not rational.

There's no way that you can trust people in public to be self aware or rational.
It's not a virus, it's a disease, Coronavirus Disease-19 (COVID-19).
Viruses cause diseases, SARS-CoV-2 caused COVID-19.
COVID-19 is not airborne, although it can be carried through the air via when you sneeze or cough.
The Following User Says Thank You to esheldon For This Useful Post:
Old 05-25-2020, 09:33 PM
His Disciple

Quote:
Has absolutely nothing to do with time. It's about not spreading contaminates that the mask may have caught.
You do realize these crappy masks do not filter out microscopic molecules like the COVID. So if your mask caught something, you "will" breath it in through the mask...unless you are wearing a hermetically sealed mask.
Old 05-25-2020, 09:35 PM
Prepared

Thanked 1,068 Times in 223 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by esheldon View Post
You do realize these crappy masks do not filter out microscopic molecules like the COVID. So if your mask caught something, you "will" breath it in through the mask...unless you are wearing a hermetically sealed mask.
Why were doctors and nurses so desperate for n95 masks?
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ALprepper For This Useful Post:
Old 05-25-2020, 09:46 PM
His Disciple

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALprepper View Post
Why were doctors and nurses so desperate for n95 masks?
Not talking n95 masks, I'm talking about the cloth masks that most people wear. And as the name designation suggests, the n95 mask blocks approx 95% of very small particles. Not to mention, masks don't protect your eyes from getting droplets from others who have sneezed or coughed.
Old 05-25-2020, 09:54 PM
Prepared

Thanked 1,068 Times in 223 Posts

Quote:
Not talking n95 masks, I'm talking about the cloth masks that most people wear. And as the name designation suggests, the n95 mask blocks approx 95% of very small particles. Not to mention, masks don't protect your eyes from getting droplets from others who have sneezed or coughed.
The user you quoted was referencing and uses n95 masks.

You're correct, masks don't protect your eyes. That's why you wear goggles or a face shield.

You're not telling us anything that those of use who are using PPE don't already know.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to ALprepper For This Useful Post:
Old 05-26-2020, 06:03 AM
Grevcon 10

Thanked 38,567 Times in 9,218 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALprepper View Post
The user you quoted was referencing and uses n95 masks.

You're correct, masks don't protect your eyes. That's why you wear goggles or a face shield.

You're not telling us anything that those of use who are using PPE don't already know.
A lot of these people seem to have no idea they're on a surivalist board.

I have a full suite of PPE options all the way up to MOPP4 for high risk situations.

The best method is to simply control your environment though. I don't go in public or expose myself to strangers. I get deliveries and I have some contact with my wife who's a nurse and moved out when we got our first positive case in the county. All interactions are heavily controlled. I have the person enter a 'warm zone' and once they leave I use UV lights, Ozone Generators, and disinfectant sprayers to render the air in an environment safe before I enter it.

The only person not included in my quarantine that I have shared a room with is my wife. She masks and cleans herself before entering the warm zone which has been disinfected with ozone/UV. We only occupy the same room both wearing N95s (hers being ventless) and I cover myself with disinfectant on exit.

Of course her risk is heavily managed too. The only place she goes is work where right now she's masked the entire time, only has direct contact with patients who have been pre-tested, and her only risk are the other staff who are masked most of the time.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Colt For This Useful Post:
Old 05-26-2020, 07:27 AM
I am interrogative, yes.

Thanked 1,981 Times in 493 Posts

Quote:
I sure as heck do.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to GrayFoal2 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-26-2020, 07:38 AM
I am interrogative, yes.

Thanked 1,981 Times in 493 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambos lados View Post
Since SARS, I have actually carried N-95 and goggles in carry-on when travelling for the past 16 years or so.
I've been doing that ever since Iceland's Eyjafjallajokull volcano erupted in 2010 and shut down air travel across Europe. A mask, goggles, and gloves are also useful for getting out of a hotel or convention center or airplane fire alive. Protip: always travel in shoes you can comfortably run in (should seem like common sense, but common sense ain't always so common... I'm looking at you, ladies).

Quote:
Now that most retailers have caught onto the erection of barriers and controlling traffic flow, I have started feeling safer wearing only the little cloth masks without goggles like everyone else in those situations.
I haven't. I still drive to areas where the number of diagnosed cases is zero or nearly zero to get groceries. I wear an N95, gloves, and face shield. Each item gets individually disinfected before it goes into the car.

Quote:
Meanwhile, to the many who are not high-risk, who still take the trouble and discomfort to wear masks in indoor public spaces, I just want to say a warm "thank you" on behalf of those of us at higher risk who may also have to share those spaces.
Agreed. Thank you to all of them!
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to GrayFoal2 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-26-2020, 08:56 AM
Survivor

Thanked 29,456 Times in 7,068 Posts

Quote:
False. It does a lot to protect either way. Animal test conducted for SARS 2 virus recently.

When the infected animals had the cloth mask on their cage 85% protection for the uninfected animals.

When the uninfected were covered 64% were protected.

Assume an R0 of 2.

Infected wear masks = R0 of 0.3 = Pandemic dies out
Uninfected wear masks = R0 of 0.66 = Pandemic dies out

Both wearing masks and R0 and you can stop it in its tracks like most mask-wearing Asian countries.
This in my opinion was our governments greatest failure. They would have been better off leaving things more open and suggesting homemade mask use. Someone wore a strong perfume on my last flight, and when they walked by me, it caused me to sneeze. But I had a mask on that I pressed to my face with my hand so the sneeze contents stayed out of the recirculating air system. Why is this concept so foreign and hard for people to grasp?

The fact the OP thinks masks are useless for this, while wearing mask in an OR for the exact same reason is odd. In both instances masks are worn to slow germ spread from one person to another.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to InOmaha For This Useful Post:
Old 05-26-2020, 09:08 AM
Survivor

Thanked 29,456 Times in 7,068 Posts

Quote:
... masks don't protect your eyes from getting droplets from others who have sneezed or coughed.
They do if the person sneezing or coughing is wearing a mask.

So the more people that wear them, the more effective masks become. That's why in China they were beating people with sticks on the street if they ventured out without a mask.

I'm getting to the point Colt is at now. Time to let it rip and get it over with, because it's impossible to do what's needed here since we aren't a totalitarian place like China, and can't bulldoze roads, weld people in buildings, build walls around neighborhoods, kill everyone's pets, drag people off to quarantines, and arrest people for being outside without masks.

I don't want to live in that country either, and what we're doing will never work. It's time to get everyone sick, let the old people die off, and hope it doesn't circle back for the young. It's going to happen anyway, so let's get it over and done.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to InOmaha For This Useful Post:
Old 05-26-2020, 10:16 AM
MyPrepperLife

Thanked 5,691 Times in 2,145 Posts

I've been busy and so haven't been on here for a couple weeks, and I see that the mask debate rages on. For crying out loud. By now, everybody on here should understand why masking is important and should be masking.

Here is a synopsis of the issue. It's an excerpt from a excellent post by somebody on another forum.

Quote:
All the info a person needs is out there. There is a virus, it's spread by droplets, and it kills a lot of people. To mitigate your risk, wear a mask, social distance, wash your hands. That's it. But people bend over backwards to somehow make a decision to not wear the mask, to not social distance, etc., even though in the worst-case scenario it's mildly inconveniencing. The best case, it saves your life.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to MyPrepperLife For This Useful Post: