Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Reasons why not to buy a DPMS? theflatlander Firearms General Discussion 49 01-16-2015 07:40 PM
Dpms gii 308 msr Spitfire Rifle Forum 6 01-16-2014 10:43 PM
Price Drops - S&W M&P15 Sports or DPMS Oracle - $599 shipped, DPMS .308 - $950 apps47inc For Sale 0 09-08-2013 03:23 PM
Anybody got a DPMS kybackwoodsman Rifle Forum 10 08-17-2012 11:53 PM
Dpms .243 bige Rifle Forum 3 06-14-2012 04:58 PM
DPMS finnian Military Weapons Forum 11 12-28-2011 09:23 PM
New DPMS AR-15 under $550 greenhorn Rifle Forum 0 11-28-2011 09:21 PM
Dpms 308 JoeKan Military Weapons Forum 22 02-11-2010 09:21 PM
S&W MP-15 vs DPMS.. DPMS wins TMHonfire Military Weapons Forum 11 02-19-2009 11:21 AM

Old 11-20-2012, 02:36 PM
ominous loomer

Default Reasons why not to buy a DPMS

Advertise Here

I am looking for factual information on why not to buy a DPMS .308. Not just "they are junk" "my friend had one and it was junk" or "all I have read or heard is people say they are junk" I would like to some actual evidence on what problems have occurred with the DPMS .308 line and if these problems still occur? The biggest thing I have heard was that the magazine on the DPMS style AR .308 were unreliable creating feeding issues and that problem has been solved since you can buy PMAG's for them now.

As stated by my other post's I am looking for a 7.62 nato platform rifle and I want something that is AR style. For the price range I was looking in (1500.00) the main three are DPMS, RRA, or Armalite. I narrowed it down between the Armalite and DPMS and the Armalite was coming out on top until I started to really look into the DPMS more. The warranty isn't as good as the Armalite DPMS is a 3 year and Armalite is lifetime. DPMS also doesn't have the accuracy guarantee as Armalite has. But everything I still have not heard any complaints in the DPMS department as far as accuracy go's either.

For the base price of the DPMS and what you can get in a factory built rifle its hard not to look at them. the plain Jane Armalite is 1500 bucks with out a free float tube or a two stage trigger. Where in compassion to the DPMS you can get the long range lite with a carbon fiber free float tube and two stage trigger for 1500.00 bucks.

I am really thinking hard about going the DPMS route.

1. I have never seen a Armalite on a shelf any where. Compared to any store that sells .308 AR's has at least one DPMS in the rack.

2. After market parts are more expensive for the Armalite

3. 90 percent I have the builds I read about have at least some type of DPMS brand part on them whether it a barrel, receiver, bcg, or trigger group.

This information alone makes me think DPMS cant be total junk and got a bad rap at first due to poor QC issues. I am looking at these models and I will list them in order which one I want most to least.

compact hunter.
http://www.dpmsinc.com/COMPACT-HUNTER_ep_151-1.html

lite hunter
http://www.dpmsinc.com/LITE-HUNTER_ep_154-1.html

24 special
http://www.dpmsinc.com/24-SPECIAL_ep_140-1.html

lr-308b
http://www.dpmsinc.com/LR-308B_ep_126-1.html

lr-308t
http://www.dpmsinc.com/LR-308T_p_54.html

The only thing I don't like about the lite models is that the gas block is railed. I like the weight of the rifle and the price of the options. If it was you what model would you chose and why? This is going to mainly be a bench rifle, and for coyotes now and then. Also are the two stage DPMS triggers any good?

I'm really having a hard time talking myself out of a DPMS right now for the price and and price of upgrades down the road.
Quick reply to this message
Old 11-20-2012, 02:57 PM
I love this forum

i went to the nevada desert for a shooting trip, at a range i rented DPMS 308 LR with the bull barrel, was sitting in the desert with a bipod, no mat under, sand didn't bother it, it was very accurate even with my average aim, i have no complaints, they do make a nice AR-10 in my opinion, the fit and finish was excellent, felt recoil wasn't that much, for the money (last time i saw there was one for $980), they are excellent rifles, i don't know about their AR-15s, but i heard those have improved.
Old 11-20-2012, 03:19 PM
This space for rent

Thanked 3,628 Times in 1,122 Posts

I Know this guy who has 2 and I must truly say they are nice rifles for the money. 1 is a home build Wylde chambered sportical carbine upper on a Spikes lower, cost $650 to build, the other the LR308 24" SS bull barrel store bought 2nd hand for 850. They both go bang every time He has pulled the trigger, and the accuracy is terrific. You can buy more bells and whistles but at the end of the day what works for you is what really matters, screw the h8rs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-20-2012, 06:34 PM
Hunter

Thanked 1,356 Times in 549 Posts

if you can get over the AR thing - maybe the FN FNAR is your ticket. its possibly the best semi auto .308 you can buy. 999.00
Old 11-20-2012, 06:53 PM
Just call me Blue!

Thanked 2,711 Times in 522 Posts
Default ar10

Rock River Arms LAR-8
http://rockriverarms.com/index.cfm?f...ategory_id=402

Do yourself a favor
The Following User Says Thank You to saxnn For This Useful Post:
Old 11-20-2012, 07:10 PM
Crazy

Thanked 10,535 Times in 3,424 Posts

I have owned two ar15. Great rifles and will out shoot my colt. Cant speak for the ar 10 though. Id get one in a second.
The Following User Says Thank You to John_Auberry For This Useful Post:
Old 11-20-2012, 09:03 PM

I purchased the DMPS Recon 308 Sunday and got a chance to take it to the range tonight after work. I only had time to put about 60 rounds through but I'm pretty happy with it. It seems to be fairly accurate with the Magpul MBUS sites that came with it. To be fair it's been about 20 years since I've shot an AR with military style sites so the rifle is more accurate than I am. My last full mag I put 18/20 rounds in black on the 300 range zero target.

The magazines worked well and there were no misfeeds/fires. I'm looking forward to getting the chance to shoot some more. It's a big change for me since most of the rifle shooting I've done has been with either a .22 or an M16.

This wasn't my first pick out of the DPMS line-up but it had the advantage of being available. After a year of looking at 308's I figured it was time to pick one up and don't regret it.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to adampm For This Useful Post:
Old 11-20-2012, 10:15 PM

I highly recommend a look at this discussion.
http://forums.officer.com/t81462/
The Following User Says Thank You to RealMan For This Useful Post:
Old 11-20-2012, 10:29 PM
Trapper

One of the selling points for me is the DPMS 308s have alot of parts in common with the ar-15. So for me it was less parts to have to have on hand with 3 ARs that share 90% of the little parts that break or go missing.
Old 11-20-2012, 10:41 PM
Hunter

Thanked 2,288 Times in 808 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealMan View Post
I highly recommend a look at this discussion.
http://forums.officer.com/t81462/
Thanks! That's an excellent read!
Old 11-20-2012, 10:50 PM
Hunter

Thanked 2,288 Times in 808 Posts

After a LOT of research, I bought a Rock River Arms LAR-8 .308WIN a couple years ago, and have been very happy with it. The extent on my knowledge regarding DPMS' products is based on reading technical reviews, and those aren't impressive.
Old 11-20-2012, 10:51 PM
Www.preparedham.com

Thanked 4,743 Times in 1,378 Posts

Today i just picked up a DPMS LR-308 billet, milled lower and i will build my 308 up from that.

I can choose the upper, barrel(s), trigger, stock and floater to my liking.

I have a DMPS 556/223 flattop that i have had for well over 6 years. Running a a Aimpoint on it and have done several tactical training classes with it. I have probably have 4-5K rounds downrange and can say i have never had a FTL, FTF or FTE with it.

The price is right and if you build your own, you will get a better rifle.
Old 11-20-2012, 11:17 PM
Brains???

Just purchased today the DPMS Oracle. Interested to try it out.
Old 05-09-2014, 07:53 PM

Default Lr-308lrl

I own a LR-308LRL. I added a flash suppressor and replaced the stock with a Magpul stock. I have a high end Vortex scope on the rifle. I have found it to be a tack driver, very accurate with decent ammo, and even very good with cheaper ammo.

However, if I were looking for a SHTF rifle/battle rifle, I would take a hard look at the Ruger SR-762 or a PTR-91. I think you would find these rifles to be more reliable and more cost effective.

But if you want a dedicated sniper setup or long range target rifle the LR-308LRL is a good choice. The DPMS 5.56/223 rifles have had issues and are not built to the same standard as their .308 products, but that is just IMHO.
The Following User Says Thank You to MirageGuy For This Useful Post:
Old 05-09-2014, 08:28 PM
Never Give up

Thanked 14,182 Times in 4,470 Posts

Love the Armalite's but don't forget those magazines don't fit the other AR-10s and they are harder to get and cost more. So don't forget to factor that in.
The Following User Says Thank You to Rascals For This Useful Post:
Old 05-10-2014, 06:15 AM
Trapper

Thanked 1,162 Times in 512 Posts

We used DPMS and Colt in our inventory for past 10-15 years. The DPMS are newer so they have fewer rounds through them, roughly 3-5,000. The only thing that is breaking on the DPMS is the extractor while Colt extractors are not breaking even with twice the rounds.

The solution is pretty cheap, replace the extractor with a Colt made one and you're good to go. That's what I have done to err on the side of caution. DPMS makes nice barrels. Before they really got into selling complete rifles to the public they made parts for other AR companies.

I've got a very negative view of Armalite from an experience with employees and management. They can pound sand.

Tired and just noticed you're looking at a .308. I've got a DPMS .308 and its been reliable with metal mags and Pmags. Not sure where the rumor came from about metal mags being an issue. Mine came new with the wrong buffer installed so the bolt would not lock back. But even with the wrong buffer it still functioned fine. My only complaint is the same about 99% of all 308 ARs....the weight. The DPMS GenII really has my attention and I've fondled a couple in the store. I believe DPMS has set the standard for others to achieve with this new model.

Last edited by Wild Bill H; 05-10-2014 at 06:23 AM.. Reason: Added
The Following User Says Thank You to Wild Bill H For This Useful Post:
Old 05-10-2014, 06:23 AM
Ryding Free...

Location: Variable. Prison Island, European Sektor plus elsewhere...
Thanked 14,449 Times in 3,521 Posts

So what's the negative reasoning of Armalite?
Old 05-10-2014, 06:39 AM
Survivor

Thanked 3,710 Times in 1,398 Posts

Which DPMS .308 are you talking about? There are TWO different rifles and they are NOT the same or interchangeable. The latest Gen II rifles haven't been out long enough that I would trust anyones opinion. They've been out and in the public for maybe 3 months? What could anyone say, "Gee, I have shot 200 rounds out of it and it's great"......That tells you NOTHING. Any gun that would break in 200 rounds, well, you get the picture....

The older style DPMS guns have a long track record with millions of rounds down range with tens of thousands of users. I've owned that pattern of rifle for over ten years myself.

General observations about the old style DPMS rifles-

1. Magazines. I've never had a problem with magazines for this pattern of rifle other than with some C Products magazines (now ASC). I've used CMMG magazines, DPMS factory, Pmags and the C prods. Generally, magazines are not a problem.

2. The weakest link in these rifles is the extractor. They break. Often. I have broken them in as little as 600 rounds. I don't know what the issue is, if it's a design flaw, heat treating, material selection....I dunno. But DPMS .30 extractors break with alarming frequency--and they ain't cheap.

3. My rifles have all been very accurate. Even an early El Cheapo 16" "sporter", factory barreled rifle that I have will shoot close to MOA all the way out to 800 yards. Not bad for a used rifle I paid $600 for....

4. The guns are heavy. This is one of the things DPMS has tried to change with the newer design. They are making the upper out of a better grade of aluminum and so are able to stream line it, along with putting the bolt carrier on a diet. The older guns can be kinda clunky honestly.

5. Other than the extractor breakage my guns have been reliable. I keep them clean, properly lubed, shoot good ammo and use decent magazines. They work.

That's what I know about DPMS pattern .308 Ar's.
Old 05-10-2014, 06:46 AM
Survivor

Thanked 3,710 Times in 1,398 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watch Ryder View Post
So what's the negative reasoning of Armalite?
They use a type of magazine that is non standard in the AR10 pattern of rifle. They are the ONLY company using their magazines, every other producer has gone with the DPMS pattern magazine except for some goofy designs that use FAL mags etc....

Also, they are about as innovative as buggy whip manufacturers in terms of the rifle configurations they offer. They have the Henry Ford mentality-"You can buy a model T in any color you want, as long as it's black".

Don't much care for Armalite products. Not only that but that had an employee not long ago make some snarky comments about the Second Amendment that rubbed some folks the wrong way......

http://www.ak47.net/forums/t_1_5/144...OD.html&page=1
The Following User Says Thank You to Lawyerman For This Useful Post:
Old 05-10-2014, 07:43 AM

This is my rig , its a gen 1 DPMS LR-308 , it has a few upgraded parts, its reliable as all get out I have had zero problems with the steel mags or PMags , The factory 2 stage trigger pretty much sucked but its been replaced with a 3.25# single stage trigger , KNS pins . 16" factory barrel , Miculek style Muzzle brake , F/F rail, Nikon 4-12 scope , Diamond Head aluminum flip ups, DPMS chrome carrier, Hogue grip , Magpul PRS stock , . It weighs in around 11.5#, but 2# of that comes from the stock so it could be lightened up a bit if I wanted . It has almost no recoil and is dead nuts accurate .
You just need to watch what you get there are 3 different DPMS .308 rail heights so not all rails will match rail height. The oracle has the highest rail of all of them then the Gen II and then the Gen I is the lowest rail height.