Survivalist Forum banner
690K views 2K replies 869 participants last post by  4Freedom 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
with so many rifle platforms and calibers to choose from if you could build your perfect survival rifle what would it be?
what caliber would it be?

my ''could be'' perfect rifle would be galail/kalish. semi-sporter configuration ( not full military ) all stainless steel , chambered in 3006.....3, 5rd mags and able to except 20rd mags of BAR desighn..... and a better custom side rail and optics mount than the russian/east block pattern..........

#27 ·
My survival rifle is a Savage 24 in .22/410 . It is extremely simple to maintain and operate and it disassembles into 3 pieces in my pack. I can take anything I want with it. .22 ammo is dirt cheap and small so I can carry a lot.

If it's a combat situation, I would leave, since I can't protect my family and be in a firefight at the same time. Showing good judgment and situational awareness can help you avoid something you aren't prepared for......but if push comes to shove, I would use an M-4/M-16, since I carried them for so many years in the military, I can handle it while in a stressful situation.....no scopes, lights, slings, GPS, etc. Just remember, if it's a combat type situation, there will be plenty of free ordinance lying around....pick up something and make their government pay for it. :)

#28 ·
I agree with imua-06 whole heartedly regarding good judgement, and situational awarness, but would also add that it's been my expierience to expect the unexpected as well. Unforseen events can/do, and will occur at the least oppurtune times, and this is the reason why we as a group, chose the platform we are running now.
the ability to avoid firefights is a huge asset to those who want to survive as a group, but IMHO................ it is best to prepare for them in case a paticular event cannot be avoided. In the military, we refer to this as "Actions upon contact". Regardless of the situation/mission, I would recomend that everyone in the group be trained on what to do, in the event that somthin like this occurs.
FTR........... this is just my opinion, and look fwd to more discussion on the org. topic at hand, but with that being said, a high cap semi auto rifle is only gonna be a benifit, if it's in hand when needed.
I find discussions like this to be a valuable learning asset, and hope that others here feel the same. If the S ever hits the F, all here should be better equiped because of posts like this, provided that all parties involved view it for what it is, and what it can produce for all of us.
I just would like to point out that I dont consider a paticuler weapon to be any better than another, but am lookin for good diolog regarding ANY type weapon for whatever use the org. post is inquiring about. In this case, it is apparent as to why the various weapon types are being talked about....and IMO, is an excellent read to say the least.

#29 ·
Well said, Fragout. There is a guy named Heimo Korth in the interior of Alaska who lives off the land. He uses a .22 bolt action as his main hunting weapon and he kills big game with it.

When I think survival situation, I generally think wilderness. If I think of a survival weapon in an urban/suburban environment, I would definitely choose a semi auto rifle. I like yours!

#31 ·
Imua-06 knows his stuff. Vaild points and I am very familiar with .22/410 combos. But the quest for the "perfect" rifle is like seraching for the holy grail.

If I was going to get something it would prob be a H&R/NEF handi in 30-06 as pre-mentioned in this discussion. Very light, and you should not need more then one shot anyway. Some may want to look at the same gun in .270 (necked down 30-06) as it tends to shoot flatter.

If I felt I needed more then one shot I would opt for the 1903 springfield.

I also made a post at one point regarding my 30-06/12GA over-under
awsome gun, but if it came down to it, prob not worth the extra iron.
It really is 2 guns in one. :(

#33 · (Edited)
for outdoor/pack on my back survival .22 (10/22) i can carry ALOT of ammo if it is for a long survival . a mad max/war survival my choice is a saiga 308 nato round. for urban survival where the gov. is still here is a pistol (ruger/taurus) 9mm nato round so I can keep it with me at all times, hidden until needed.

#35 ·
I'd still stick with some sort of assault rifle. For me it would be an AR-15, but that's just because its what I've got. The rifle has range, great defensive capabilities, and .223 can easily kill deer and similar sized game. Contrary to popular belief, .223 is in no way too light to hunt deer. There's nothing in the woods I would feel afraid to take on with a full clip in the AR, and i would rather have it than just about anything else in an urban situation. Whether it's a deer at 200yds, a groundhog a ways off, or a rifle-toting problem much closer up, you're covered. And plus, it is light and easy to feed!

#37 ·
I don't know alot about firearms or combat.

Of the firearms that I own, my favorite is my bolt action .308 Savage with 5 round clip and tasco scope with look through mounts. I prefer to use open sights. I think it may be much too heavy to carry for an extended period especally if I have my scope attached.
My Winchester model 490 semi-auto .22LR comes next. It's light, accurate and believe it or not I even managed to kill a moose with it once(really close range). As far as I know the 5 round clip is the maximum alowed here, but I can refill it in seconds. Almost as fast as I can empty it.;) 1000 rounds of .22LR doesn't take up much space, doesn't weigh much or cost much and can be made to last a very long time.

Can't get my hands on much better than that here.:eek: No fully automatics or high capacity magazines. Sidearms are also very restricted.

#46 ·
A .308 short barrell with a 12 bore/guage shotgun pump action undernieth with a five shot capacity. The rifle would be single shot bolt action with a good scope on it and full metal jacket amunition for the 308 and high power shotgun cartridges. :)

#48 ·
Uzi nine- millimeter, SPAS twelve, Forty-five long slide with the laser sight and a phased plasma rifle in the forty watt range.

#50 ·
Now that's funny!

#51 ·
Like others have said , it depends on the situation . It depends on wether you think it's more important to have a rifle for hunting or one for battle .

My perfect rifle for survival is the Marlin 38/357 lever rifle . Same ammo as my handguns , effective out to 100yds. , 38's for small game , 357 for sd or larger game .