Survivalist Forum banner

TV Set Recommendation

4K views 51 replies 21 participants last post by  bonegunner 
#1 ·
Got a note from Netflix today saying that as of Dec 1st they are no longer going to support my $1200 led TV set. :( So, I guess I'm in the market for a new set. Any suggestions on an internet ready set in the $500 range? It can be an LED or plasma, probably in the 42 inch range. Don't have room for a monster..

#5 ·
What? It is a streaming service. How do they know what kind of a TV you are running? Is your set already Internet-ready? Or do like I do; connect up an Internet-capable Blu-Ray player. Works just fine. $60 at Costco.

#6 ·
Yes, my set is Internet ready as are most sets these days. And yes, they know what kind of set you are using; not sure how. The problem is my set is dated and technology has changed, so Netflix is dropping support of my set. YouTube did that a few years ago and did it without warning. :mad:

Justme11, so what you're saying is you have to pay for the services, like netflix and Hulu and Roku is just the streaming device? How does Roku make any money?

Anyway, sounds like Roku is a stick plugged into the USB port. I'm wondering if it will work, given my set is older. I currently have a streaming/Internet stick plugged in to the USB. That's how it works, but Netflix is still dropping it.

#8 ·
I'll check into it. Better than a new set. I'm thinking that the stick that I have is only for the internet connection and the other software is in the set, which is now obsoleted. If the Roku is the Internet connection plus the Internet output, which feeds the set then it may work on my set.

#11 ·
That's what I needed to hear. I'll check into best buy and see what they have.

I really hate this obsoleting stuff. Dropping support of fully functional and expensive equipment. Microsoft did that to me too. They no longer supported my OS and the new OS wouldn't work on my machine. I now have a new computer and a perfectly good one sitting in the closet. They did it to my phone and now the TV. The TV may be the worst because it's a top of the line $1200 LED TV..:mad:

#10 ·
I think its a scam to force you to buy new stuff.

I tried to listen to free book today. As of 10/2 Edge no longer works with eplub. I emailed MacroSuck and told them I'm never buying any of there stuff ever again if I can help it.

Have like 50 free books on that format, PIA to download them in something else.

#14 ·
I still use a dumb analog TV with digital converter and only watch what I can get for free over the air. I don't want a smart TV spying on me. Maintaining any kind of opsec with a computer, even with a VPN is nuisance enough. I took the money I would have spent on Direct TV or an Internet streaming service instead to accumulate about 1000 DVDs.

#18 ·
They used to do the software updates on the streaming part and it was annoying when they did. Took forever. It hasn't happened in several years though. Guess that might mean the manufacturer isn't supporting set either.

My set isn't actually hardwired to the Internet even though it can be. I just use the wireless streaming.

#20 ·
cheapest option is to just get a cheap firestick. $15 when they are on sale, $25 when they aren't.

then learn how to unlock and sideload apps. you won't even need netflix anymore but you can always keep it.

the BEST option is to get an android tv box, those are updatable and universally supported world wide, not to mention much faster processors, ability to add memory to download programming for offline content, portable, etc.

The problem with Smart devices, Roku, Firestic, tv's, DVD, etc. is they pretty much all ru a custom/forked/proprietary version of the android box. when android changes, it is difficult and costly for all apps to be updated for all the custom versions out there, so they hit the most popular, (Samsung, Firestick, Roku are the most widely supported).

that is why I would never buy a smart tv to begin with, you are always better off with a separate "smart" device and a regular tv if you don't want to deal with out of support apps.

much less likely to lose support than a Roku or Firestick or a proprietary "Smart" tv. (they all use a customized version of the android software)

#28 ·
that is why I would never buy a smart tv to begin with, you are always better off with a separate "smart" device and a regular tv if you don't want to deal with out of support apps.
It is actually quite hard to find non-smart tv these days :D:

Last year I bought 4K HDR 43" TV to use as a monitor for my gaming PC, the one I selected is also android-powered smart tv so it can install pretty much same apps as any phone or tablet. Android TV's also have 4K Chromecast Ultra built-in (worth like 80 if bought separately). For a 399 TV it is pretty capable one.

#21 ·
I cheat......I have almost zero bandwidth at home so I download movies & TV shows from Netflix on my cell phone when I am at work (using their bandwidth). Then I "cast" the video & audio from my cell phone to my TV through a Google Chrome Cast device that uses none of my limited bandwidth.

After viewing, I just delete the downloaded content from my cell phone (or I can let Netflix expire it too). It works great and doesn't cost me any of my limited internet cap.

Mark

#26 ·
I run Netflix from various different computers to tv's, why buy a new tv?

As long as your computer can output to the screen of it then you can run Netflix on it. I am running an ancient monitor with svideo from a computer and I am able to run Netflix on it no problem. I can also run that one from a blueray player that I have without a computer as the blueray can run Netflix and whatnot through it's wireless connection.

Adapt and overcome.... and save your money for something actually useful...

#27 ·
I am using firestick on my smart tv. For watching movies and tv shows i use Netflix, HBO and some third parties apps on my smart tv. As you mentioned above there is no need to buy new tv and firestick if you can cast or mirror Netflix on your pc or TV. But netflix only provided movies and tv series, what about if you want to watch Live sports like UFC, NFL? You can't stream on Netflix. I am using amazon firestick on my smar Tv for last 2 years and its working great. you don't need to pay extra to watch sports, movies and tv shows just installed some popular live tv apps using filelinked codes and you are good to Go!
I have cut the cable and i am happy now with my firestick. it is just my opinion guys. Don't mind guys!

#29 ·
A Blue-ray player is $60.

#35 ·
One last stupid question on Roku. I was about to order the stick on amazon (because there's other things I need) and got to reading the reviews. One guy was complaining about Roku wanting to charge him $70 to setup/activate his account. Is there a charge to set up and activate a Roku account?

#38 ·
No charges to register. You set up an online account so you can select which channels to load onto the Roku. It did ask for my credit card at some point, but I think I ignored it.
They can act as the billing point for premium channels if you want them.
I signed up for Amazon prime, but through Amazon. And Hulu, through Hulu.

#40 ·
I set it up on the computer.
No way I'm typing all that crap with the arrow keys on the remote, using a virtual keyboard.

Here are the free channels I recommend.
Haystack TV - News
Newson - Local news in any city
ReutersTV - news
RT - news
Newsy - news
Roku channel - Free movies.
Bloomberg - news
Pluto TV - Fairly useless old stuff, but its free.
Foxnews - news
ABC news - news
NFL - gives highlites of every game played, scores, etc.
ABC
Foxnow
Youtube
PBS
NBCNews
Weathernation
PBS
Watch free flix
Tubi
Nasa channel
NBC
Fawesome TV
Xumo free movies
TED
The Yoga channel
ChiveTV
Primitive Technology
Skynews
NOAA - weather
Crackle - free movies
Vudu - free movies
Discovery GO
OAN One America Network news
Newspapers4K - gives the front page of about 40 newspapers daily.
CBSNews live 24/7
Dust- Scifi

LoCast - gives all the local TV channels. Only works for a few big cities. Houston and Dallas are included.

The following can let you play stuff from phone on the TV. There is an NFL live stream phone app that needed one of them.
Another is used by Youtube on the phone. Just hit a button and it is playing on the TV.

R-Cast
Web Video Center

There is no way I would search through all those free movie channels, but by using the microphone search feature on the remote, it quickly determines if it is available and from where. Hit a button and you are watching it.

You can also have it follow all the TV shows you like that are broadcast on regular network TV channels. They become available like a DVR after 1 day has passed from the air date. That shows up under "My Feed" I think also.

Between all that, plus Amazon prime movies and programs and Hulu, there is a huge amount of stuff to keep you entertained.

Locast provides local TV channels for:
Baltimore
New York
Los Angeles
Philadelphia
Dallas
Washington DC
Rapid City
San Francisco
Boston
Chicago
Sioux Falls
Houston
Atlanta
Denver

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.