Slugs vs buck - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Shotgun Forum Mossberg, Winchester, Remington, Benelli....

Advertise Here

Old 09-05-2019, 09:14 PM
Prepared

Default Slugs vs buck

Advertise Here

Pretty straight forward question. All other factors being equal, would you prefer slugs or buckshot for home defense? What about for SHTF shelter in place defense? Lets assume we are not considering over penetration as a factor in this discussion. I suppose to be specific, lets discuss 12 gauge 00 buck verse 12 gauge 3/4 to 1 ounce foster style slugs (or similar).
Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to Buck91 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-05-2019, 09:36 PM
Fix Bayonets!

Thanked 7,483 Times in 3,311 Posts

Buckshot.

There are people who find slugs situational. I'm not one of them. If I can't hit my target with buckshot I'll either close the distance, or transition to a weapon with greater range.

Sent from my Note 8 using Tapatalk
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ForgedInTheFlame For This Useful Post:
Old 09-05-2019, 09:44 PM
Hunter

Thanked 2,316 Times in 979 Posts

If over penetration is not an issue, I'd have the first round loaded be a slug and then buck afterwards. This way, the first shot is better at distance and a real power stopper. Then I've got buck available a fraction of a second behind.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ScottPreps For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-05-2019, 09:52 PM
NRA Life 1971

Thanked 12,489 Times in 5,570 Posts

You should have access to both.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to roseman For This Useful Post:
Old 09-05-2019, 10:05 PM
reluctant sinner

Thanked 24,232 Times in 8,897 Posts

I like my cast Lyman sabot slugs 1.25 oz. I also like factory 41 pellets of #4 buck or 18 OO copper plated buffered. I cast my own #4 and OO. I load 12 OO 3.75 DE in my 2.75 shells or the slug, 4 DE. I don't remember the #4 count. I'd use the buck for home work or owning camp. The slug is good to 90 yards - will stay on a 3# coffee can. Not bad for a 20" smooth bore barrel pistol gripped combat 870. Has a spot in the INCH cart load out.

You need to shoot your loads and see what they do. Choke tubes can help. I installed a mid bead in the rib to serve as the rear sight. 1000's of rounds down range helps too.

I reach for a pistol first as home defense.
The Following User Says Thank You to charliemeyer007 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-05-2019, 10:28 PM
Prepared

Buckshot. Any situation that would call for a slug would be better handled with a rifle. I would only use a shotgun as an interior protection/fallback room option. A slug may get stopped by either hard or soft body armor but buckshot increases your chances of finding a weak spot in armor. In SHTF, I would keep two or three slugs on the shotgun shell holder on my stock just in case I had to escape into the wilderness (big game/longer distance take down). For a similar reason, I would also keep a handful of birdshot shells on my belt.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Martial Lawyer For This Useful Post:
Old 09-05-2019, 10:42 PM
Survivor

Thanked 6,388 Times in 3,080 Posts

Buckshot. I only use slugs for hunting and that’s because I am basically forced too by law.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to sabotage39k For This Useful Post:
Old 09-05-2019, 11:09 PM
Target Shooter

Thanked 1,108 Times in 355 Posts

I like Federal's 000 loading where our realistic home defense matrix ranges from 125 lb meth heads to four-legged punks weighing several hundred pounds.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to .455_Hunter For This Useful Post:
Old 09-06-2019, 12:30 PM
Plays best, alone

Thanked 5,179 Times in 2,400 Posts

As Sabotage said, buck first for defense. Slugs for deer hunting, at least in 12 G.

20 gauge I would consider slugs for both deer hunting and defense.
The Following User Says Thank You to Palma For This Useful Post:
Old 09-06-2019, 02:21 PM
Comic, not your lawyer!

Thanked 32,203 Times in 7,781 Posts

Buckshot given the unique multi-hit qualities of it, for human or small animal (rabid dog) defense from 10-30 feet or interior to structures. It's essentially the equivalent of a burst from a SMG, with ~9-12 .30 caliber rounds and energy dump.

But slugs are a close match, and sometimes preferable if expecting larger threats or greater distances, say out to 100 yards (e.g. bear country).

For a single projectile, an AR or AK is probably superior for anti-personnel. Lighter, flatter shooting, and better penetration particularly against soft armor over the slugs.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to leadcounsel For This Useful Post:
Old 09-06-2019, 02:46 PM
Proud American Patriot

Thanked 7,793 Times in 1,593 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by leadcounsel View Post
It's essentially the equivalent of a burst from a SMG, with ~9-12 .30 caliber rounds and energy dump.
Ssssshhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!! Don't let liberals know this or Diane Feinstein will be pulling her hair out and screeching for a ban on buckshot! Of course we all know they'll be going after shotguns anyway, soon after they get so-called assault weapons outlawed, using the point you made here. And sniper rifles too (currently called hunting rifles). And of course handguns.

As far as which would I prefer, as others here said, buckshot seems to be best for the kind of ranges you would encounter in your home. But I like the idea of having access to both. Buckshot loaded in the magazine, but with two ammo carriers closeby that I can throw over my shoulder or clip on a belt, one with buck and one with slugs. At close range though I don't know how much it matters whether the bad guy gets hit with one big hunk of lead or nine smaller hunks of lead (or even twelve). I suppose it could though, and within buckshot range any advantage goes to the multiple hits.

There is no doubt a rifle has advantages over a shotgun when you get beyond buckshot range. But the advantage of slugs is that you can have a shotgun, and if the range of a fight gets beyond buckshot distance, you can still engage an enemy out to a hundred yards anyway. That versatility is one of the advantages of a shotgun.

I'd be curious about what police carry in their shotguns, and the military too. My opinion here is speculation, but if there is a common practice among police and the military, as I assume there might be, that would be based in experience, and their common practice would be far superior to my opinion. Just keep in mind that their missions and situations are not the same as yours (or each others' for that matter), so what's best for them is not necessarily what's best for you, but what they use and why is certainly worth considering.

Do you remember the North Hollywood shootout? The police weapons were said to be unable to penetrate the body armor of the perpetrators. If I remember right at least one officer on the scene had a shotgun. Does anyone know if that officer had access to slugs? And if not, would slugs likely have made a difference?
The Following User Says Thank You to deprogramming services For This Useful Post:
Old 09-06-2019, 02:46 PM
Survivor

Thanked 14,263 Times in 3,829 Posts

I have A bandoleer of Winchester PDX for the house gun, a slug with three pellets. I donít try to mix and match ammo with slugs here and buckshot there. Iíve been in very high stress situations before, ringing in ears and narrow vision, when that physical reaction to stress happens I donít think having to choose what shell to load will be a good thing.
At home defense distances the pattern spreads less than 10 inches so a 1 oz slug and 3 00 pellets would do the job
The Following User Says Thank You to Revmgt For This Useful Post:
Old 09-06-2019, 03:21 PM
Survivor

Thanked 3,977 Times in 1,815 Posts

Buck inside slugs outside.

Double gun with double or select trigger works great for this application.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-06-2019, 06:19 PM
Prepared

The beauty of a shotgun is that you have both. I don't see a reason to pick just one. Slug swap drills are a staple of my range routine.
The Following User Says Thank You to Vodka Wizard For This Useful Post:
Old 09-06-2019, 07:39 PM
VIP Member

Thanked 6,895 Times in 2,171 Posts

I have a lot of molds, buck, ball, and slug
All three are useful
One favorite popularized by the late James Gates of Dixie Slugs is
The Tri-Ball
Three .60" caliber balls going 1,200 fps
Around 1,000 grains of lead
Terminal effect, crazy
For perspective,
At the Linbaugh Seminars, #00 buck penetrates in the Bone Box around 8 to 9 inches max
The Tri-ball goes 27 inches and makes a huge, hard to believe hole
A simple .678" lead ball will shut it down
A solid hit with a decent slug anywhere, body, arms, or legs, is a fight ender
I suppose the same could be said for most any rifle
In the house will always use my .310" buckshot and outside same to 25 yards
After that, time for the big heavy loads
Old 09-06-2019, 08:59 PM
Prepared

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revmgt View Post
...I’ve been in very high stress situations before, ringing in ears and narrow vision, when that physical reaction to stress happens I don’t think having to choose what shell to load will be a good thing.
At home defense distances the pattern spreads less than 10 inches so a 1 oz slug and 3 00 pellets would do the job

This sounds 100%. Currently I keep my scattergun stocked with #4 in the tube and 00 on the sidesaddle. Figuring the #4 will take down any reasonable threat with less danger to the neighbors while the 00 will offer better ballistics on an exceptionally bad day if I need to utilize the extra rounds.

I need to pattern my different scatterguns with slugs "just in case" but I just don't see a time where they would be preferable. Was looking to find reasons to stock them vs not to worry about it. So far I'm not worried about it- if I need to hunt deer in the shotgun zone I can buy a couple boxes for patterning and use.
Old 09-06-2019, 09:22 PM
Survivor

Thanked 3,877 Times in 2,151 Posts

I thought military guards carried shotguns to reduce chance of material damage. As in don't shoot at the nuclear weapons. Or the 100 million dollar aircraft.
In the field i thought shotguns were doorbreakers with non ricochet powdered metal ammo, not really used as weapons anymore.
Slugs are much more expensive than buckshot.
Old 09-07-2019, 08:47 AM
Survivor

Thanked 13,222 Times in 4,811 Posts

I have my DM 870 magazines set up with 00 buck, also in the Shockwave with PDX buck & ball in the side saddle. I see 00 buck as general home defense rounds.

I've been playing with #1 and #4 buck as well. All the indoor ranges I go to limit us to slugs only, so I get some practice with those too.
Old 09-07-2019, 09:36 AM
Prepared

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmas View Post
Slugs are much more expensive than buckshot.
Not really...
The Following User Says Thank You to Vodka Wizard For This Useful Post:
Old 09-07-2019, 09:58 AM
Trapper

Thanked 1,045 Times in 452 Posts

never used a shotgun on 2 legged predators... but on bigger 4 legged ones I prefer slugs