Old 07-14-2019, 05:37 PM
Longing For True Liberty

Thanked 54,080 Times in 18,728 Posts
Awards Showcase
Top Poster Top Poster 
Total Awards: 2
Default Change Of Plans

Advertise Here

I've been planning for some time to move from Marxist Colorado to southwestern Utah (around St. George) but just changed my mind. I'm heading to the Prescott, AZ area instead. The possible job I had lined up in Utah didn't pan out. So I'm heading to Prescott or Prescott Valley or some nearby town in early August. I'm going on faith. I have no job lined up nor a place to live. It will be a true adventure. I'll either find a nice niche or I'll starve to death trying.
Old 07-14-2019, 08:46 PM
Survivor

Thanked 23,778 Times in 5,866 Posts

Prescott and Prescott Valley are both nice. If you don't mind living a little further out, homes are not as expensive in the Chino Valley area.
Quick reply to this message
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to AZ_HighCountry For This Useful Post:
Old 07-14-2019, 09:13 PM
Bazinga!

Thanked 2,657 Times in 1,081 Posts

Doubt you'll starve to death - heat stroke maybe - but not starve

Sounds interesting and fun. Do your best to know whats available BEFORE you head there. Use your google-fu and have at least a couple ideas/plans for when you get where you end up...

Good luck!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Nomad-max For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-14-2019, 09:32 PM
Longing For True Liberty

Awards Showcase
Top Poster Top Poster 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad-max View Post
Doubt you'll starve to death - heat stroke maybe - but not starve

Sounds interesting and fun. Do your best to know whats available BEFORE you head there. Use your google-fu and have at least a couple ideas/plans for when you get where you end up...

Good luck!
I've sent numerous resumes via Indeed.com to a number of companies in the area. I've also sent emails to a few realtors who have available rentals. I just did all of this yesterday and am hoping to hear back from people throughout the week. I'm giving my current company a 3 week notice on Tuesday. They won't be happy and may let me go immediately (which would be fine with me).
Old 07-14-2019, 09:40 PM
Longing For True Liberty

Awards Showcase
Top Poster Top Poster 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ_HighCountry View Post
Prescott and Prescott Valley are both nice. If you don't mind living a little further out, homes are not as expensive in the Chino Valley area.
I just looked at Chino Valley on the City Data site. It appears to have a fairly high crime rate. Not quite as high as the national average. Murders are very low but assaults and burglaries are pretty high on the list. On Safewise's site, Prescott Valley made the top 20 (#11) for the safest cities in Arizona. I'll have to take these facts into consideration. I wonder why Chino Valley has such a high crime rate.
Old 07-14-2019, 10:52 PM
Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ActionJackson View Post
I just looked at Chino Valley on the City Data site. It appears to have a fairly high crime rate. Not quite as high as the national average. Murders are very low but assaults and burglaries are pretty high on the list. On Safewise's site, Prescott Valley made the top 20 (#11) for the safest cities in Arizona. I'll have to take these facts into consideration. I wonder why Chino Valley has such a high crime rate.
Yes, PV is very safe. Chino on the other hand has a couple of biker gangs out there. One is closer to Paulden, the other just outside of Chino. They got into a firefight several years ago. Turf war over the local drug trade. A couple on each side were taken out, a few wounded. That was the deciding factor for the kid and her husband to relocate down to PV.

Along with the drugs comes the related burglaries, etc. to support the habits.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to AZ_HighCountry For This Useful Post:
Old 07-15-2019, 01:46 AM
Semper Fi

Thanked 10,071 Times in 3,651 Posts

Prescott and Prescott Valley are kind of pricey areas to jump into without a job. Hopefully you have a good sized savings account.

Even then it's a good way to deplete your finances and set back prepping (or retirement) schedule.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Steve_In_29 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-15-2019, 07:45 AM
Longing For True Liberty

Awards Showcase
Top Poster Top Poster 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_In_29 View Post
Prescott and Prescott Valley are kind of pricey areas to jump into without a job. Hopefully you have a good sized savings account.

Even then it's a good way to deplete your finances and set back prepping (or retirement) schedule.
I noticed that when I checked out some apartment sites. Some of the one-bedroom places are starting at $1200.0 or more. Outrageous! I'm thinking about looking into mobile home rentals on the outskirts. After I settle in and get to know the area, I can look into buying some land.

How about Dewey? What do you know about that area?
Old 07-15-2019, 12:08 PM
Semper Fi

Quote:
I noticed that when I checked out some apartment sites. Some of the one-bedroom places are starting at $1200.0 or more. Outrageous! I'm thinking about looking into mobile home rentals on the outskirts. After I settle in and get to know the area, I can look into buying some land.

How about Dewey? What do you know about that area?
I just had a discussion on this with someone else I know who is looking at the P/PV area. Admittedly I just did a quick realty search for him but even bare land isn't cheap in P/PV area. 40 acres (which isn't as big as it sounds) is roughly in the $300K range.

Just because it's in AZ doesn't mean land will be cheap (that boat sailed a LOOOONG time ago) as it's all about location, location, location. For example out by me where there is no ready access to a big city nor much in the way of high paying jobs, that 40 acres is sub-$20K (often less then half that) and $300K gets you that land with a very nice house on it.

Can't help you on Dewey as I haven't had ocassion to research it.
Old 07-15-2019, 05:11 PM
Survivor

Dewey had some issues at one point with shoddy construction by the tract home builders on expansive soils. There are a number of lawsuits still working their way through. I'm not sure what the water situation is.

Being familiar with the area Steve_in_29 is located, if you're looking for land that is the place to be. It's not far over to Alpine / Luna Lake where you are guaranteed to freeze your nubbies off in the dead of winter. But some fantastic elk in the area as well.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AZ_HighCountry For This Useful Post:
Old 07-15-2019, 05:33 PM
Semper Fi

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ_HighCountry View Post
Dewey had some issues at one point with shoddy construction by the tract home builders on expansive soils. There are a number of lawsuits still working their way through. I'm not sure what the water situation is.

Being familiar with the area Steve_in_29 is located, if you're looking for land that is the place to be. It's not far over to Alpine / Luna Lake where you are guaranteed to freeze your nubbies off in the dead of winter. But some fantastic elk in the area as well.
A couple weeks ago we had a nice sized elk jog across our county road in front of us as we were heading to the house. It was less then a mile from our place.

Last night over dinner our neighbor was telling us about how his daughter's school (in St John's) got locked down when a bear was right outside a classroom. I didn't catch how long ago it was but it had to be fairly recent as they have only lived here for 3 years.
Old 07-15-2019, 05:35 PM
Semper Fi

Quote:
I've sent numerous resumes via Indeed.com to a number of companies in the area. I've also sent emails to a few realtors who have available rentals. I just did all of this yesterday and am hoping to hear back from people throughout the week. I'm giving my current company a 3 week notice on Tuesday. They won't be happy and may let me go immediately (which would be fine with me).
If you don't mind my asking, what do you do for a living?
Old 07-16-2019, 05:03 PM
Longing For True Liberty

Awards Showcase
Top Poster Top Poster 

Quote:
If you don't mind my asking, what do you do for a living?

I've spent a good amount of time as a Commercial driver (several years driving Class A Tractor/Trailer). I have more than 20 years dealing in Welding Supplies. Counter Sales; Outside Sales; Branch Manager; Purchase Agent; Inventory Control; Operations Manager; Filler (compressed & liquified gases); Forklift Operator and Trainer; Safety Coordinator; Shipping & Receiving. Just about anything and everything related to Welding Supplies. I've worked for Airgas, Linweld, US Weld, Matheson Tri Gas, Buckeye Welding.
Old 07-16-2019, 05:39 PM
Semper Fi

Quote:
I've spent a good amount of time as a Commercial driver (several years driving Class A Tractor/Trailer). I have more than 20 years dealing in Welding Supplies. Counter Sales; Outside Sales; Branch Manager; Purchase Agent; Inventory Control; Operations Manager; Filler (compressed & liquified gases); Forklift Operator and Trainer; Safety Coordinator; Shipping & Receiving. Just about anything and everything related to Welding Supplies. I've worked for Airgas, Linweld, US Weld, Matheson Tri Gas, Buckeye Welding.
Not sure if any of that crosses over but you could take a look at the power generation stations in my area.

Possibly jobs in Show Low or Pinetop/Lakeside for welding store work.
Old 07-16-2019, 07:02 PM
Prepared

We've been looking around AZ for a while now (stuck in Cali), and some friends of ours just moved to Prescott Valley, others are on the way as well. Went over to help them move and put up some corrals....Very nice area! A bit pricey (well not compared to So Cal) but if you're willing to live 30 miles away, you can find some nice acreage with decent houses for $300k ish.
Also nice and a bit cheaper in Texas......
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to hoodoo For This Useful Post:
Old 07-17-2019, 01:29 AM
Hunter

Thanked 1,430 Times in 635 Posts

I have never gotten a job without showing up and shaking hands first.
As far as indeed in concerned you are just a number.
If you like Az, great but go see the area for at least 7-10days, shake hands, get a feel for the area.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Stinky For This Useful Post:
Old 07-17-2019, 07:30 AM
Longing For True Liberty

Awards Showcase
Top Poster Top Poster 

Quote:
Not sure if any of that crosses over but you could take a look at the power generation stations in my area.

Possibly jobs in Show Low or Pinetop/Lakeside for welding store work.
I worked for a power company in northern Utah (Logan) in the early 80s and really enjoyed it. I was mostly a "grunt" but did get to work at their hydro plant in the Wasatch. Thanks for the heads up. I'll check it out.
Old 07-17-2019, 07:34 AM
Longing For True Liberty

Awards Showcase
Top Poster Top Poster 

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoodoo View Post
We've been looking around AZ for a while now (stuck in Cali), and some friends of ours just moved to Prescott Valley, others are on the way as well. Went over to help them move and put up some corrals....Very nice area! A bit pricey (well not compared to So Cal) but if you're willing to live 30 miles away, you can find some nice acreage with decent houses for $300k ish.
Also nice and a bit cheaper in Texas......
I'm hoping that the Californians fleeing that state leave in two groups: The Libtards can escape the mess they created and take their votes to Oregon, Washington, Colorado, Illinois, New York, New Jersey, etc. The intelligent Californians (conservatives) can move to Texas, Arizona, Utah, Oklahoma, Missouri, and other pro-Constitution states. I'm moving to a conservative state and bringing my vote with me.
Old 07-17-2019, 07:47 AM
Longing For True Liberty

Awards Showcase
Top Poster Top Poster 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinky View Post
I have never gotten a job without showing up and shaking hands first.
As far as indeed in concerned you are just a number.
If you like Az, great but go see the area for at least 7-10days, shake hands, get a feel for the area.
I'd say that the majority of the jobs I've held started out through a job finder like Indeed or Monster. But I've never been hired until I've shown up in person and shook the hand.

I'm moving blind. I used to do this sort of thing a lot in my youth and found it invigorating, challenging, exciting, and a bit scary.

If I were still married I wouldn't even consider making this move but I simply won't remain in Colorado. It's passing anti-gun laws and legalizing hallucinogenic drugs. It's owned and operated by Marxists and with all the druggies moving into town, the votes will assure that the Commies remain in control for many years to come.

Anyway, I gave my notice yesterday. My last day will be August 2nd. I have to be out of my rental by the 12th. So I'm giving myself 10 days to get moved into a place and to find a job I'll also use that time to register my vehicle; get a new driver's license; and any other official activities that I think of.

Prior to moving, I'm going to get a DOT physical and the subsequent DOT Medical card. I'll also get an up-to-date print out of my clean driving record. That way, I'll be prepared to seek a Commercial driver job somewhere. Companies are always looking for drivers.
Old 07-17-2019, 02:34 PM
Semper Fi

Quote:
I worked for a power company in northern Utah (Logan) in the early 80s and really enjoyed it. I was mostly a "grunt" but did get to work at their hydro plant in the Wasatch. Thanks for the heads up. I'll check it out.
Power generation plants in Apache County,
Coronado Generating Station (outside St John's)
Springerville Generating Station (to the south of St John's)

Springerville (6900') is in the White Mountains and at a higher elevation then St John's (5700'). They have pine trees instead of the cedars around me.

There is also a County rock quarry near me. So jobs for truckers, heavy equipment, etc. Though I have no idea how often something opens up there.
The Following User Says Thank You to Steve_In_29 For This Useful Post: