The decline and fall of American kitchen skills. SMH. - Page 2 - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Food and water Discussion on food and water storage, water purification and related topics.

Advertise Here

Old 09-23-2017, 07:58 PM
Survivor

Thanked 16,547 Times in 6,350 Posts

Advertise Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattB4 View Post
When I saw them selling pre made peanut butter and jelly sandwiches several years ago at the store I knew that times were bad. But the most amazing situation was what happened one day when checking out a store with a case of Ramen noodles (not the microwave cup versions). The young lady at the counter expressed amazement at me buying so much ramen. I said I use the noodles in other dishes besides just as soup. She commented that it must be neat to know how to cook. She than went on to say that neither her or her mother cooks but her Grandmother made great pies. I staggered from the store in shook that anyone could believe making Top Ramen was cooking.
Have you seen the "presliced peanut butter ? It's wrapped like sliced cheese and it sucks it's dry and crumbly and tastes like rancid peanuts.
Quick reply to this message
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to swamppapa For This Useful Post:
Old 09-23-2017, 08:07 PM
Survivor

Thanked 7,143 Times in 2,871 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamppapa View Post
Have you seen the "presliced peanut butter ? It's wrapped like sliced cheese and it sucks it's dry and crumbly and tastes like rancid peanuts.
Urrrppp.
I'll bet it does. Peanut butter sealed in a glass jar goes rancid fast enough, without sticking it out in the air in thin slices wrapped in plastic.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to NY Min For This Useful Post:
Old 09-23-2017, 08:09 PM
Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawk55732 View Post
Have some better at cooking then others? Of course. But none have not been able to cook at all.
Believe me, there are now tons of young people who cannot cook. At all.
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to NY Min For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-23-2017, 08:46 PM
Forward, into the fray!

Thanked 8,981 Times in 2,672 Posts

I was in a grocery store and looking over the deli counter. One of the things in the pre-made section was frog eye salad. Some woman and her grown daughter were eeewwwing over the name and I told them it was actually wonderful stuff. They asked what was in it, and I told them more how to make it since I've never bought it pre-made. I started with "a basic pudding of flour, egg yolk and sugar but pineapple juice instead of milk..." and they stopped me. They had never heard of anyone making pudding from scratch. Didn't know it could be done! How did they think people ate before modern refrigeration and deliveries to supermarkets? Did they eat pudding in Merry ol' England during Shakespeare’s time? Of course they did, and his wife made it.

I'm surprised at the things people think You Can't Make That At Home.
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to BabyBlue For This Useful Post:
Old 09-23-2017, 08:56 PM
Hiker

You folks ain't eatin' natural unless you hunt like a cougar. Leap from the tree branch and strangle your game. Keeps you lean and mean like a fightin' machine.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to softdown For This Useful Post:
Old 09-23-2017, 09:01 PM
Survivor

Thanked 19,434 Times in 5,605 Posts

Quote:
I am just wondering where all these people who can't cook are because I have never met someone who can't cook. Have some better at cooking then others? Of course. But none have not been able to cook at all.
Brother's wife can't cook. Brother owns a restaurant. Brother's kids can't cook, why should they. Dad thought he could cook, but we all agreed he was wrong. My ex-husband got together with a bar fly that couldn't cook, not only that, she couldn't find her way to a grocery store so my ex could cook for himself. No food in the house. He came back crying after only two weeks. Oh well.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to thyme2bprepped For This Useful Post:
Old 09-23-2017, 09:03 PM
Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BabyBlue View Post
I'm surprised at the things people think You Can't Make That At Home.
Oh yes. That list is getting to be endless.

First, it was if you wanted a gelatin dessert, you had to buy Jell-O, then if you wanted cream soup, you had to buy Campbell's, if you wanted a simple cornstarch pudding, you had to buy My T Fine, if you wanted a cake, you had to buy a Duncan Hines mix and a can of frosting. Then it moved on to you had to get your biscuits from the dairy case and your pie crusts from the freezer aisle and your pie fillings in a can--in which case you say you are baking a pie since you aren't just buying a whole frozen pie.

And absolutely no one anymore seems to know you can eat any of that without buying a brand-name box of mix or a can or frozen box of premade. If they ask you for a recipe, and you give them one that consists of anything more than open 2 cans of this, a packet of that, a jar of the other, and a box of whatever and dump them all together in your crockpot, their eyes cross and they look at you like you have 3 heads.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to NY Min For This Useful Post:
Old 09-23-2017, 09:08 PM
Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by softdown View Post
You folks ain't eatin' natural unless you hunt like a cougar. Leap from the tree branch and strangle your game.
You know, I tried that once, but the whole damn night on that branch in Central Park, and the best I saw was a couple of really mean and very mangy skinny rats and a stringy mugger that looked like he'd been following your advice and was gonna cook up tough and dry as heck, so I had to go to the butcher shop down the street after all.
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to NY Min For This Useful Post:
Old 09-23-2017, 09:29 PM
Survivor

Thanked 14,064 Times in 4,568 Posts

Many years ago. When I was younger. One of my friends got married. After a few months I asked him how it was going.
"She can't cook" he says flatly.
"What. She can't throw a steak in a pan." Says I.

"She tried. She missed the pan." Says he.

That's when my priorities list for a potential mate changed. Dramatically.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to 240Geezer For This Useful Post:
Old 09-23-2017, 09:42 PM
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Min View Post
Oh yes. That list is getting to be endless.

First, it was if you wanted a gelatin dessert, you had to buy Jell-O, then if you wanted cream soup, you had to buy Campbell's, if you wanted a simple cornstarch pudding, you had to buy My T Fine, if you wanted a cake, you had to buy a Duncan Hines mix and a can of frosting. Then it moved on to you had to get your biscuits from the dairy case and your pie crusts from the freezer aisle and your pie fillings in a can--in which case you say you are baking a pie since you aren't just buying a whole frozen pie.

And absolutely no one anymore seems to know you can eat any of that without buying a brand-name box of mix or a can or frozen box of premade. If they ask you for a recipe, and you give them one that consists of anything more than open 2 cans of this, a packet of that, a jar of the other, and a box of whatever and dump them all together in your crockpot, their eyes cross and they look at you like you have 3 heads.
No offense, but did you realize most of what you talk about in this thread are dessert items? That's not cooking, that's baking or making treats. The last thing preppers are going to learn to make are desserts. And certainly most people that can't make a home made dinner are not going to learn to make a cake or pie (except kids).
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to StealthyMcStealth For This Useful Post:
Old 09-23-2017, 09:46 PM
Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 240Geezer View Post
That's when my priorities list for a potential mate changed. Dramatically.
It's also maybe when you should have bought a cookbook for yourself.

My father's tale of how long he would have lived on nothing but tea, fudge, and toasted cheese sandwiches waiting for my mother to figure the stove out tended to grow by a week for each year they were married, but it was still a darn good thing he'd been cooking for himself for 15 years at that point because that was her total repertoire when they returned from the honeymoon. She never did learn how not to kill yeast, and he was always the better cook of the two.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NY Min For This Useful Post:
Old 09-23-2017, 09:49 PM
Survivor

Thanked 58,719 Times in 19,051 Posts

Quote:
Believe me, there are now tons of young people who cannot cook. At all.
Unless your older than I think you are you might want to drop the "young" qualifier off that sentence!

I will admit that quite a few people my age (35) and younger cannot cook EITHER!

Makes it pretty good for me though.
Even the couple women I've dated that baked from scratch etc...
None of them could cook better than I could.

I don't understand it, it's not like it's hard or anything. (People ask me if I like to cook, I say : "No, I like to eat")
I REALLY LIKE creme brule... one day I thought "self, it can't be that hard" and looked up how to make it. (And was amazed at how simple it was.... my mother cooked from scratch, I have my grandmother's noodle maker which is identical to the one I grew up making noodles on.... etc all. That's just not something she did.)
But creme Brule is a 100% panty dropper (after/on top of a meal.)
Just blows their mind.

People are just lazy, and most:
1. Don't want to wait.
2. Don't stock a decent pantry to actually use to do anything.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Nomad, 2nd For This Useful Post:
Old 09-23-2017, 09:57 PM
Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthyMcStealth View Post
No offense, but did you realize most of what you talk about in this thread are dessert items? That's not cooking, that's baking or making treats. The last thing preppers are going to learn to make are desserts. And certainly most people that can't make a home made dinner are not going to learn to make a cake or pie (except kids).
Probably because that post was in reply to one about people who had never heard of making your own pudding and things people now believe you can't possibly make at home from scratch. I think most people still believe it is possible to make steak and potatoes at home starting with just raw steak and potatoes; they just don't do it themselves. Thirty years ago, every nurse I worked with already didn't believe it was possible to make a cake without starting with a box of mix unless you were a commercial bakery/professional pastry chef.

Actually, though, any prepper who wants to either keep their calorie count up to handle hard labor or find something to do with that 300 pounds of wheat berries ought to know how to bake as well as cook. Dinner in the good ol' days always included breads and desserts (and they were both always homemade when I was growing up).
Old 09-23-2017, 10:03 PM
Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad, 2nd View Post
Unless your older than I think you are you might want to drop the "young" qualifier off that sentence!

I will admit that quite a few people my age (35) and younger cannot cook EITHER!
You're young from where I'm sitting.

I'm old enough to be your mother; in fact, old enough to be your grandmother if everyone had started young.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to NY Min For This Useful Post:
Old 09-23-2017, 10:13 PM
Survivor

Thanked 9,148 Times in 3,473 Posts

Quote:
I am just wondering where all these people who can't cook are because I have never met someone who can't cook. Have some better at cooking then others? Of course. But none have not been able to cook at all.
I suppose it also may depend on your definition of cooking.

My dad, for instance, can make a hot dog or a hamburger on a pan or on the grill. When I was a young kid and mom wasn't there he would make us "sugar sandwiches" which we all loved. Buttered bread with sugar on it. Sounds rather disgusting now.

He's expanded his ability to now include frying hash browns, sausage, and bacon.

Now you could call that cooking, but I wouldn't.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dealfinder500 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-23-2017, 10:18 PM
Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by dealfinder500 View Post
Now you could call that cooking, but I wouldn't.
Well, he's a little ahead of tea, fudge, and toasted cheese sandwiches, but no, it doesn't sound like he's learned to actually cook. But, hey, he's getting a real handle on frying meat in grease.
Old 09-23-2017, 10:22 PM
Survivor

Thanked 3,398 Times in 1,366 Posts

Before long, knowing how to make a PBJ Sandwich will be a survival skill...

But in all seriousness, when getting back to basics the food just tastes that much better.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to JLW1974 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-23-2017, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLW1974 View Post
Before long, knowing how to make a PBJ Sandwich will be a survival skill...

But in all seriousness, when getting back to basics the food just tastes that much better.

Why not? Everything else is "survival" nowadays.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SSRD For This Useful Post:
Old 09-23-2017, 10:24 PM
Dunning-Kruger Survivor

Thanked 19,865 Times in 5,155 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter View Post
Cooking skills may be in decline but there are a few of us still around that know how to make a meal from scratch. I thought delivery pizza was the death knell for home cooking.
This.
I don't know if it's a regional thing or a generational thing? Definitely not a thing around here as far as I know.
I mean, poor and stupid people, sure. They make bad decisions, which includes food. But functional people? Not so much.

I smoke (food that is). I grill a lot. I cook a lot inside also... Heck, I grind my own meat for hamburgers and make my own sausage... and the wife's an accomplished baker.(it all explains my current shape, lol).
Can't say I've eaten a packaged meal in years. We do eat out too often, but that's a time and energy choice.
Not fast food, mind you, there's a nice little foodie movement here in Wichita.
Old 09-23-2017, 10:25 PM
Survivor

Thanked 58,719 Times in 19,051 Posts

Quote:
You're young from where I'm sitting.

I'm old enough to be your mother; in fact, old enough to be your grandmother if everyone had started young.
That was my point.

There's PLENTY of people in my 67 year old Mothers generation that are JUST as bad as people younger than me.

Now if you go up to my 92/93 year old grandmother's generation.... THEN you start to see a statistical change.

She's always talking/taking pitty on you "young woman" who lives behind her (older than my mother) who burns water, and inviting her over for dinner.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Nomad, 2nd For This Useful Post: