ebook reader - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Disaster Preparedness General Discussion Anything Disaster Preparedness or Survival Related

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Reader Gmasue New Member Introduction 14 03-09-2014 07:04 PM
Assembling library for e-reader. SoftwareNerd Books, Movies & Stories 6 07-10-2013 12:13 PM
EBook Reader - Powered by solar mpire7102 DIY - Do It Yourself 4 04-06-2013 09:23 PM
Turn on Reader protected view in Adobe Reader SharpDog The Tech Zone 0 02-14-2013 07:13 AM
I have an E-Reader question! :) ctp Books, Movies & Stories 11 02-09-2013 11:58 AM
Any other E-reader owners ticked??? scguy2473 Books, Movies & Stories 61 10-01-2011 09:02 AM
new reader Old Scout New Member Introduction 12 09-19-2011 08:23 AM
looking for proof reader/editor psycosteve Books, Movies & Stories 5 10-29-2010 07:43 PM
Sony reader sesa The Tech Zone 12 12-16-2009 11:00 AM
this is a texan must reader SurvivalDude93 Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 51 05-06-2009 06:21 PM

Old 06-26-2009, 11:50 AM
Hiker

Default ebook reader

Advertise Here

I know a lot of folks have accumulated a wealth of digital information that they use and will use for prep/survival work. My question is how do folks plan to access that info?

My initial plan was use one of my spare laptops with a solar panel, but a day's sun will at best provide 1-2 hours of laptop use.

I used to use a sharp zaurus pda as it could read pdf files, but it required a lot of zooming and panning, and still only lasted a couple hours on a charge.

After researching ebook readers like the sony reader and kindle I was only able to find one that handles the wide array of file formats that I have on hand the Irex Iliad http://www.irextechnologies.com/

It's expensive as heck, but given its power longevity ability to use multiple memory devices(usb, mmc/sd, CF) I could have a massive library on hand that only takes up a small amount of space. Oh and there's the added benefit that I can annotate notes to my files, and use it directly as a notepad since it has the tablet functionality as well.

I know I'm beginning to sound like a sales pitch, but I'm pretty much sold I just have to save the money. But before I make that kind of expenditure, has anybody else found a better solution?
Quick reply to this message
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to technojunkie For This Useful Post:
Old 07-16-2009, 06:56 AM
Long Haul

I agree completely with the necessity of having an E-Reader with at least a copy of your most important books and manuals. With the e-ink technology, you can read it in full sun as if it were ink on paper. I already have about 20 books on mine, both fiction and non-fiction.
Another plus that I have found with mine, Kindle 2, is that you can get a lot of classics for free. You just order them and they automatically download and are ready to be read.
You can also easily recharge it with a PV USB charger, its batteries last on the level of days, not hours.
The Following User Says Thank You to rizzo For This Useful Post:
Old 07-16-2009, 02:17 PM
Misfit Toy

Thanked 2,412 Times in 1,048 Posts

This is something I find extremely interesting and wish I knew more about, technologically speaking.
I just bought a new laptop with a 320 gig hd, and have a 500 gig external hd for storage. Having a large elibrary really appeals to me, but how much data could I store with less than a terabyte of disc space?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-16-2009, 02:35 PM
Long Haul

Raven, I can't speak for TechnoJunkie's Irex, but I have the Amazon Kindle 2. I purchased two, one for me and one for my wife. I am often deployed, so it would make no sense to have only one.
The Kindle can store upwards of 1500 ebooks on it, and you can have even more stored in your librairy online. Though when the SHTF you will not have access to the online librairy, I can't imagine needing more than a thousand good books on all the subjects that you may wish to keep on hand. The great thing about having two on the same account, is that we can both share my librairy. I purchase 1 copy of a book, and we can both have it on our Kindle at the same time. Even if we get separated for some reason, we both have the resource librairy with us. I can't speak highly enough about the battery length. It lasts forever, and charges via USB. Hope this helps.
The Following User Says Thank You to rizzo For This Useful Post:
Old 07-16-2009, 02:58 PM
Misfit Toy

It did help. This is something I will definately check into. Thank you.
Old 07-16-2009, 03:30 PM

>> Having a large elibrary really appeals to me, but how much data could I store with less than a terabyte of disc space? <<

I've just recently started my elibrary collection on my laptops, so hopefully someone with a better (bigger, and more organized) collection can offer some better input, but to give you some idea of the kind of storage space some of my random collections take up:

Mother Earth News archive (1970-2008) and "Best of" collection - 1gig
"Where there is no doctor" ebook (31pdf files) - 12meg
92 assorted files from the library on this site - 152meg

from Survivalebooks here on this site:
22,000 Survival Books and Military Manuals on 4 disks
http://www.survivalebooks.com/survivalists.html
Takes up 9.5gig on my system, but I suspect the copy had issues, not sure if that's complete.
They're on DVD, so about 16gig max for 22k files

So I only have about 12gig so far (and far more files than I have time to read, but can search for what I need).
I would imagine that a couple hundred gig would be a pretty expansive elibrary.

I have the same concerns as technojunkie on charge time vs. use time for the laptops.

+1 for the Kindle2 - I also have one and love it.
As I run across "must-have" articles from my elibrary stash I move them over to the Kindle.
Great battery life, and fits in cargo pants side pockets, so I can read anywhere I'm stuck killing time.
I didn't research the Irex before getting the Kindle (I'm an Amazon junkie so the Kindle just made sense for me) but it sounds pretty cool.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hyphenw For This Useful Post:
Old 07-16-2009, 03:32 PM
Misfit Toy

*Ouch* looks like the Amazon Kindle isn't available in Canada. Alternatives are Sony and Cybook Gen 3. I'm seriously looking at the Cybook. It's rather inexpensive ($350) for a 1k capacity elibrary.
Old 07-16-2009, 03:34 PM
Target Shooter

I've got an iPod touch ($200) which can be powered by a $5 AA device I found at Big Lots. The AA will run the ipod for about 4 hours. In addition I try to print anything that I find of value and file it at my home office.
Old 07-16-2009, 03:35 PM
Tough Chick

Thanked 3,378 Times in 1,384 Posts

I won't give money to Amazon so I've avoided the Kindle. I looked at the Sony but I'm holding out for something better. In the meantime, I print out things that I think are absolutely vital. Sometimes the old ways are not that bad.
Old 07-16-2009, 04:25 PM
Misfit Toy

I've been doing that at work on our down time, but I collected so many binders and stacks of papers, my wife has threatened to drag it all out and burn it. lol

I can put quite a bit of data on the external hard drive, I suppose. The cybook or kindle is a more easily managable and portable means. Dig this thread topic; looking forward to more input/ideas.
Old 07-16-2009, 04:51 PM
Stay Ready very Ready

I just got a Kindle for Father's day and interested in hearing what books and resources are available for free from Amazon, for the Kindle. If anyone has a list I would be appreciative to see them here.

I've got hard copies of Patriots and One Second After and would love to find some other good non-fiction books to read.
Old 07-17-2009, 05:43 PM
Long Haul

Don't know if the interest exists here, but I am a fan of keeping the classics on hand. You can "purchase" a bunch of them for the Amazon Kindle for free. The Art of War, Divine Comedy, Treasure Island, and Pride and Prejudice are a couple that I have. Also on the historical Non-Fiction side there are books on Edison and his inventions, Presidential Biographies and the like for free also.

The biggest thing I like about the Kindle is its search capability. I can simply and quickly search my entire librairy for key words and it will display them on the screen. Really REALLY big time saver.
Old 07-17-2009, 05:48 PM
Tough Chick

Thanked 3,378 Times in 1,384 Posts

Remember, you can get a lot of classic ebooks for free from Project Gutenberg.

http://www.gutenberg.org/wiki/Main_Page
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to oktx For This Useful Post:
Old 07-24-2009, 02:08 PM
Hiker

You used to have to pay amazon a fee to put your own pdf files on the kindle. Is that still the case? Also can the Kindle use removeable media? (flash cards, usb drives)
Old 05-09-2011, 02:17 PM
Survivor

Thanked 15,724 Times in 12,957 Posts

I have a Lookbook and lets you put on PDF files through a SD card or USB.

I am very much a tech junkie so I have a a sortment of USB charging devices from wind up flashlights, radios and solar powered chargers that charge USB devices. Unless we get nuked I can keep on rocking on with my devices.

As for kindle they do not charge to post books. We have close 4,000 books published on amazon for kindle. If you do a search for www.survivalebooks.com you can find us every where on kindle.

Take care,
Wes
Old 05-09-2011, 02:27 PM
Hunter

Thanked 1,417 Times in 852 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by oktx View Post
I won't give money to Amazon so I've avoided the Kindle. I looked at the Sony but I'm holding out for something better. In the meantime, I print out things that I think are absolutely vital. Sometimes the old ways are not that bad.
Well maybe you can work around that issue. Kindle is the superior reader these days. Maybe find one on Craigslist or somewhere?
Old 05-09-2011, 03:39 PM

I am considering a replaceable battery for an ebook reader. I know lithium or polymer batteries last long but not that long.
Old 05-09-2011, 03:45 PM
that's like, your opinion

Thanked 24,327 Times in 10,073 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by technojunkie View Post
I know a lot of folks have accumulated a wealth of digital information that they use and will use for prep/survival work. My question is how do folks plan to access that info?

My initial plan was use one of my spare laptops with a solar panel, but a day's sun will at best provide 1-2 hours of laptop use.

I used to use a sharp zaurus pda as it could read pdf files, but it required a lot of zooming and panning, and still only lasted a couple hours on a charge.

After researching ebook readers like the sony reader and kindle I was only able to find one that handles the wide array of file formats that I have on hand the Irex Iliad http://www.irextechnologies.com/

It's expensive as heck, but given its power longevity ability to use multiple memory devices(usb, mmc/sd, CF) I could have a massive library on hand that only takes up a small amount of space. Oh and there's the added benefit that I can annotate notes to my files, and use it directly as a notepad since it has the tablet functionality as well.

I know I'm beginning to sound like a sales pitch, but I'm pretty much sold I just have to save the money. But before I make that kind of expenditure, has anybody else found a better solution?
I have a sony ereader that i like... it has two expandable card slots (SD and memory stick)... has compatability with enough non-proprietary formats (unlike the kindle) that it would be a pretty decent choice i think... uses e-ink so battery life is great and charging is the same as my cell phone (can use hand crank or mini flex solar panel i have)....
Old 05-09-2011, 05:37 PM
I love this forum

Thanked 4,106 Times in 1,803 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mefunkymxw View Post
I have a sony ereader that i like... it has two expandable card slots (SD and memory stick)... has compatability with enough non-proprietary formats (unlike the kindle) that it would be a pretty decent choice i think... uses e-ink so battery life is great and charging is the same as my cell phone (can use hand crank or mini flex solar panel i have)....
The Kindle uses the .mobi format (along with pdf). Many books can be found on the usenet servers already converted to this format.. The free Calibre ebook program will also convert any of the other formats to .mobi

Also, someone mentioned having to pay Amazon to convert the formats. This isn't true. Anyone can convert and use the supplied USB cable to upload books to the Kindle. Calibre even has a plugin specifically for the Kindle.
Old 05-09-2011, 06:09 PM
Prepared

Love my Kindle....will never buy another "paper" book again.