Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Has Anyone Read "Six Ways In And Twelve Ways Out?" mattmuttsmith Books, Movies & Stories 11 05-25-2018 01:22 PM
What are some of your favoret ways and inventive ways you have used paracord? Odell Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum 13 06-03-2017 02:04 AM
ways to be thrifty pineygal General Discussion 49 05-22-2017 11:20 PM
ways to be thrifty pineygal Ladies Section 90 01-21-2015 06:41 PM
Usually the old ways are best logrfood Farming, Gardening & Homesteading 42 07-17-2013 09:13 PM
~~~~~ Extreme Ways ~~~~~ Lono General Discussion 21 07-12-2013 11:48 PM
20 More Ways You Are Being Spied On Dude111 The Tech Zone 8 11-22-2012 03:43 PM
The Lost Generation- Suriving a night lost in the bush Te Hopo Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum 29 06-14-2011 07:53 PM
Your ways are not My WAYS.... MountainRecluse Religious Discussion 4 05-27-2011 11:36 PM

Old 02-07-2016, 07:35 PM

Default The lost ways

Advertise Here

Saw this book, "The lost ways" advertised but most reviews look like they are just more ads for the book. Sounds like interesting source of info for getting things done when power and communications go down.
Quick reply to this message
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to matotime For This Useful Post:
Old 06-09-2016, 06:44 PM
Mild Prepper

It seems a little hokey and scammish the way it is presented on the website. It leaves me uneasy that they have no previews of the book and it isn't available on amazon or someplace where you can see others reviews. When I google the book title and reviews it seems all the sites that have reviewed it are somehow related to the purveyor or at least subsidized by him.
However, the principle ideas in the advertisement seem interesting. Anyone have or seen the actual book?
http://www.thelostways.com/

Alternatively, one could just research pioneer life, stories, skills and equipment. Fort Vancouver in SW Washington state would be a good place to explore too. They are having a a colonial black smith event next week.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RancherRob For This Useful Post:
Old 06-09-2016, 09:57 PM

Default Lost Ways

Was intrigued by the title..so I bought it. I have skimmed it briefly and it seems to be worth the $45.99 I paid(shipping was $8.99). Some of the subjects covered are as follows..making beer,making Pemmican,casting bullets,herbal poultices,different herbs and their uses,knife making,snowshoe making,root cellars,cast iron cooking,soap making,making bread from bark,and how to build a smokehouse. Maybe a little pricey..but it is a good read and I would buy it again.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to micah For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-19-2016, 10:11 AM

I bought the book Lost Ways and have read 1/2 of it. I agree with Micha. It is a good read with information and some of it is detailed. I do not regret having bought it and believe it to have value . It is sitting by my computer on my desk because I have not finished it yet. It will go on my resource self in the library.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TALLON For This Useful Post:
Old 07-29-2016, 11:27 AM
Mild Prepper

Default Good Read

So given the others reviews, I broke down and ordered a copy. Be warned, it takes quite a while to get it. At least few weeks if I recall correctly.

However, I think it is a great book. It is a 319 page collection of instructive articles and stories written by a bunch of different authors. The writing is clear and the print is large and well spaced and easy to read for aging eyes.

It has articles about how to make pemmican, snow shoes, knives, soap, beer, smoke houses, bullets, survival bread, water wheels, herbal poultices, indian round houses, root cellars, primitive navigation, etc.

There aren't as many pictures, diagrams or in-depth detail on some of the subjects as I'd like but there is enough to get you started and headed in the right direction. It also isn't all old pioneer type skills as the website indicates and there was no article on the automatic log feeder or anything similar as indicated on the website (I would have liked the shortcut info on how thick the rail poles should be to support the weight of the logs and how to bury deep them and what angle is optimal)

Overall, I recommend it and am glad I ordered it and will probable re-read parts of it as I try out some of the skills.
The Following User Says Thank You to RancherRob For This Useful Post:
Old 07-30-2016, 11:32 PM
Hunter

Thanked 1,885 Times in 837 Posts

Sounds like the Foxfire series of books.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Von Bohmen For This Useful Post:
Old 05-22-2017, 08:14 PM

Like the folks above said, the book's actually pretty good and worth the money.

I put a review of it on my site, with a full listing of the table of contents here:
http://www.survivalcrackas.com/the-lost-ways-review/

Basically, here's what's inside:

The book itself is 338 pages, the PHYSICAL book is a heavy paperback, but you also get a digital copy (PDF) which I recommend saving to your smart phone, laptop etc.

The table of contents:

Disclaimer
The Most Important Thing
Making Your Own Beverages: Beer to Stronger Stuff
Ginger Beer: Making Soda the Old Fashioned Way
How North American Indians and Early Pioneers Made Pemmican
Spycraft: Military Correspondence During The 1700’s to 1900’s
Wild West Guns for SHTF and a Guide to Rolling Your Own Ammo
How Our Forefathers Built Their Sawmills, Grain Mills,and Stamping Mills
How Our Ancestors Made Herbal Poultice to Heal Their Wounds
What Our Ancestors Were Foraging For? or How to Wildcraft Your Table
How Our AncestorsNavigated Without Using a GPS System
How Our Forefathers Made Knives
How Our Forefathers Made Snow shoes for Survival
How North California Native Americans Built Their Semi-subterranean Roundhouses
Our Ancestors’Guide to Root Cellars
Good Old Fashioned Cooking on an Open Flame
Learning from Our Ancestors How to Preserve Water
Learning from Our Ancestors How to Take Care of Our Hygiene When There Isn’t Anything to Buy
How and Why I Prefer to Make Soap with Modern Ingredients
Temporarily Installing a Wood-Burning Stove during Emergencies
Making Traditional and Survival Bark Bread…….
Trapping in Winter for Beaver and Muskrat Just like Our Forefathers Did
How to Make a Smokehouse and Smoke Fish
Survival Lessons From The Donner Party

Sorry for the lengthy post, but I hope this helps - let ME know if you have any questions about the book, i've gone through it, and practiced alot of the stuff it teaches.

JD
The Following User Says Thank You to SurvivalCrackas For This Useful Post:
Old 09-04-2017, 06:12 PM

Sounds like a knockoff of The FireFox book you can find at almost any library.
The Following User Says Thank You to Eriksat1 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-23-2018, 02:17 AM

Here’s The Lost Ways Review

The Lost Ways is a guide book that was written by an American-based writer and survival expert. Through study and exploration of the ancient endurance tactics, Claude discovered secrets that ancestors utilized in surviving disasters. Therefore, he set out to compose and share this knowledge in a hands-on, thoroughly-researched and easy-to-read book that he titled the Lost Ways. As you’ll see, throughout the chapters, he tries to equip readers with methods that the native American forefathers employed when catastrophes occurred in the past. His approach discourages over reliance on modern disaster-management technologies that has forced humans to become overly complacent. Instead, it proposes rolling back to the forgotten but priceless survival skills which in other words are “<a href="https://www.the-lostways-book.com/">The lost ways</a>.”
The Following User Says Thank You to hispeed For This Useful Post:
Old 12-12-2018, 04:15 AM
D. Gibbons is a bad man

Thanked 3,693 Times in 1,965 Posts

Hunt down the Foxfire books (I inherited mine) they have way more relevant content than most of the stuff being published these days.
The Following User Says Thank You to Asag For This Useful Post: