Is there one or two foods you can survive on? - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Food and water Discussion on food and water storage, water purification and related topics.

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What foods last in a bob in a hot car day after day? Trilect Food and water 36 12-25-2015 12:18 PM
Question about survival foods (and Mayday survival foods) TSilant Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 28 07-23-2013 02:27 AM
Who has the best FD foods? Waldog Reviews and questions 2 10-18-2012 01:41 PM
Third Party Study Finds 110 Times! the Oxygen Levels in Wise Foods over MH Foods! JC Refuge Safecastle 6 07-26-2012 12:38 PM
Canned foods vs Mylar bagged foods LHUFFMAN Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 2 01-07-2012 12:57 PM
Tinned Foods, Non Perishable Foods tiberius British Isles and ROI 22 07-25-2011 06:33 AM
Dogs and Cats: Shelf life of foods and foods to avoid. Big Horn Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 5 06-24-2010 07:42 PM
Foods of the Apocalypse? Shelf lives and comfort foods Troglodad Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 31 01-21-2010 02:35 PM
Canning Foods, Poisoning Foods, and reusable lids Crutch Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 13 07-29-2009 04:00 PM
LDS Foods square1 Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 5 07-14-2009 10:10 AM

Old 12-05-2015, 12:28 AM

Default Is there one or two foods you can survive on?

Advertise Here

Hello everyone, I am new to the boards, I was searching for an answer to this question and stumbled upon this forum. I am thankful this place exists, I have a feeling i'll be spending a lot of time here. Anyways, I was wondering if there was one or two foods that would give a person all of the essential survival nutrients/vitamins/minerals they need to survive without their health deteriorating too much.

Preferably something that would allow them to live for a year or more without any issues.

A few foods I had in mind were dehydrated potatoes (skins included), powdered wheat grass, dehydrated coconut meat, and dried beans.

Would any of these foods by themselves meet my food wishes? If not, would any of these two foods combined work? If still not, what would you recommend?

I prefer things that are cheap, and would prefer to stock up on one food rather than two. Thank you for reading, I look forward to responses
Quick reply to this message
Old 12-05-2015, 12:38 AM
Survivor

Thanked 58,708 Times in 19,051 Posts

pemmican

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Nomad, 2nd For This Useful Post:
Old 12-05-2015, 12:40 AM

Anything besides pemmican?

I know it would work, but are any of the foods I listed capable?
If not are there any other foods you can recommend? Cheap, easily acquirable stuff?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-05-2015, 12:54 AM
Wrong Side of Heaven

Thanked 5,990 Times in 2,210 Posts

Beans and rice will outlast you if stored properly.

But there are also many threads on food fatigue, where people get tired of eating the same thing and eventually consumption drops off. Many threads also on lean meats and starvation (eating rabbit only).

Start with your base foods and learn to cook from scratch. I like cans and dehydrated no need for external power for storage.

There are to many to link... Threads here that have the info you want... Spend your extra time in here and you will find what you will need. These kinds of things tend to be tailored your individual plans and set up. Once you start getting into specifics you will find lots of people with answers and help.

Follow the stickies in the thread headers some people have put a lot of work organizing and sorting pertinent info.

Good luck and welcome to the site.
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to ImStillHere For This Useful Post:
Old 12-05-2015, 04:37 AM
Beer Truck Door Gunner

Thanked 55,546 Times in 19,312 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salingo View Post
Hello everyone, I am new to the boards, I was searching for an answer to this question and stumbled upon this forum. I am thankful this place exists, I have a feeling i'll be spending a lot of time here. Anyways, I was wondering if there was one or two foods that would give a person all of the essential survival nutrients/vitamins/minerals they need to survive without their health deteriorating too much.

Preferably something that would allow them to live for a year or more without any issues.

A few foods I had in mind were dehydrated potatoes (skins included), powdered wheat grass, dehydrated coconut meat, and dried beans.

Would any of these foods by themselves meet my food wishes? If not, would any of these two foods combined work? If still not, what would you recommend?

I prefer things that are cheap, and would prefer to stock up on one food rather than two. Thank you for reading, I look forward to responses
Your question can better be answered with there are a few things you can survive long term on.

Indefinitely? No. Your body needs some 60 odd macro and micronutrients.

A highly limited diet eventually brings some or many of these nutrients too low.

Almost all nutrient deficient diets are painful and crippling to go through, if not deadly, once they reach the later stages.

Any nutritionist will tell you that short of allergies the best diet is as wide as you can make it. The more different foods you eat the healthier you will be. Of course, different foods doesn't mean cake, donuts, and cupcakes as three different things. I'm referring to different base foods, not the same stuff shaped or flavored to appear different. This is actually a problem today with so many options down the packaged food aisles in the grocery store.

Circumstances and finances may limit your ability to eat a wide range of food at times, but it should absolutely never be by choice. Narrow width diets should be avoided if at all possible. There are some folks that actually don't like eating much and tend to eat repetitively simply because it's faster and easier. This is especially true as people age and get old. Watch dinner time at a retirement home sometime and watch the oldsters act like kids again because they just want the same lime jello day in and out, and throw fits when told to eat their whole plate that has been varied daily on purpose. I've known people who fall into this habit when they are younger too. Eating has little interest other than for fuel. Some folks are too picky their whole lives. I knew one guy who said he would happily eat pepperoni pizza at every meal the rest of his life.

Ok, so the nutrition lecture ends and you are interested in a low variety emergency diet. Everyone here will tell you rice and beans. Actually, I would define that even better and say lentils and fortified long grain parboiled rice. If your diet was wide before you started this diet you might go a whole year on just these two and some kind of food oil before you started noting health effects. You could likely hold out another year with that trio before you really started hurting, always assuming that before you started this that you were eating widely. A modest bit of meat and assorted greens added would likely take that fivesome out 3 or 4 years. A bit of hunting/trapping/fishing, foraging for wild greens, and some kind of food oil source from meat or nuts would allow you to live a number of years with the lentils and that particular rice as your base.

Many preppers here operate with this baseline model. They stock rice and beans deep. Then they intend to rely on hunting, fishing, aggressive foraging, and a small garden plot to fill out the necessary variety they need. So their stores are really basic and inexpensive. They just know that alone those two will only take them so far. They intend to find the variety outdoors on their own efforts. It's a quite viable model as long as you can actually hunt, fish, forage expertly, and can get a decent 10x20 backyard plot going with a bit of variety in it. It will be boring fare and most who plan this model realize at some point they need to put aside a wide variety of seasoning. That is counter to the idea of just a couple things in storage, but you can pack a massive amount of spice away in a small place. If you have 20-30 buckets set aside for emergency beans and rice you will only need a bucket of salt and a bucket of other spices in your storage.

I hope that reasonably answers your questions. I do hold state medical certs in hospital nutrition.

Search using Google, type "site:survivalistboards.com" in Google's search box, followed by the search parameters. You can use all normal conventions, limit searches by date, etc. Works quite well and beats the native search function.
Old 12-05-2015, 07:03 AM
Paranoid Sociopath

https://www.survivalistboards.com/sho...d.php?t=259164
Old 12-05-2015, 10:13 AM
off-grid organic farmer

Thanked 35,983 Times in 14,224 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Helpful Post 
Total Awards: 1

Beans can be made into a lot of things.

At our annual homesteading fair, she presents workshops on how to make beans into things like: pizza crust, breads, snack crackers, chocolate fudge, cake, cup cakes, fritters, oatmeal cookies, etc.

We grow beans. We dry beans and we process them into flour. With that flour you can do a wide variety of things with beans.

In many cases, people eating these bean products can not identify them as beans.

Many of the health problems people have today from wheat were brought on after decades of eating wheat, hidden inside a wide assortment of other products.

The same is happening now from corn [HFCS].

If you eat the same food item, every meal, for decades, you will develop problems related to that one food item.

For people with wheat sensitivity or HFCS issues, bean-flour can be a cheap alternative.

I seriously doubt if you would be good eating beans every meal for decades either.

For now, beans grow well on our land, ...
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to ForestBeekeeper For This Useful Post:
Old 12-05-2015, 10:32 AM
Don't get me started

Thanked 30,334 Times in 10,638 Posts

Depends on how long you want to survive. But no there is not one or two food staples you can live on indefinitely without suffering from malnutrition.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MattB4 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-05-2015, 05:36 PM
Survivor

Thanked 8,293 Times in 2,742 Posts

You people aren't human. Only two foods to sustain you. Bacon and cheese.
Old 12-05-2015, 06:25 PM
VIP Member

Thanked 3,297 Times in 751 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exarmyguy View Post
You people aren't human. Only two foods to sustain you. Bacon and cheese.
I see your bacon and cheese and raise...

bacon and chocolate.
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to annaraven For This Useful Post:
Old 12-05-2015, 06:57 PM
Have gun, Will travel

soylent green ?
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Johnny redhorse For This Useful Post:
Old 12-05-2015, 07:10 PM
Deplorable and 3%

Thanked 25,497 Times in 5,380 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny redhorse View Post
soylent green ?
It should have all the required nutrition
The Following User Says Thank You to Darthmuerte For This Useful Post:
Old 12-06-2015, 02:29 AM
Ooops - missed heddle

Thanked 1,644 Times in 756 Posts

It's said that potatoes and buttermilk provide all the nutrients for a human to survive on. IDK as I couldn't find a lot of links for that wive's tale, except one that said adding carrots would supply Vit. A. I'd get pretty sick of that diet after only a few days, even though I like all three.
The Following User Says Thank You to Weft For This Useful Post:
Old 12-06-2015, 02:41 AM
Beer Truck Door Gunner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weft View Post
It's said that potatoes and buttermilk provide all the nutrients for a human to survive on. IDK as I couldn't find a lot of links for that wive's tale, except one that said adding carrots would supply Vit. A. I'd get pretty sick of that diet after only a few days, even though I like all three.
It will supply all the macronutrients but definitely not all the micronutrients.

You could definitely run many weeks on it and be fully fueled. I'm pretty sure that you would tire of it before it quit being nutrition useful.

There are a number of small combos you can go a fair piece with, but in the end you will definitely need to be boiling pine needles and dandelion to keep going. A good forager can make limited diets last an extremely long time.

Search using Google, type "site:survivalistboards.com" in Google's search box, followed by the search parameters. You can use all normal conventions, limit searches by date, etc. Works quite well and beats the native search function.
Old 12-06-2015, 02:56 AM
Eclectic

Thanked 2,641 Times in 1,137 Posts

May I ask how old you are, and why you want to limit your food sources to one or two items?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to egad51 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-06-2015, 03:13 AM
Beer Truck Door Gunner

Quote:
Originally Posted by egad51 View Post
May I ask how old you are, and why you want to limit your food sources to one or two items?
I'm guessing his budget and available space allowance play a big factor in this.

If all you had was a single empty closet and a low income then this would be the questions you would likely ask.

College dorm or small apartment with youthful wages, perhaps?

The Following User Says Thank You to IamZeke For This Useful Post:
Old 12-06-2015, 09:29 AM
Junior Member 2011

Quick, unqualified and unprofessional reply: Some candidates could be
Beans and brown rice. The Mormons say wheat berries. (See book; "Wheat for Man").
Some will say peanut butter. Others will point out that a monotonous diet is a killer.
I think it is called "food fatigue".
Old 12-06-2015, 09:33 AM

check out spirulina - it contains all 18 amino acids (protiens) and many micro nutrients as well. the space program is looking into using this as one of the foods for generational space flight. it can be produced in a home fish tank with proper care, so the supply could be replenished easily. as with all foods that can be highly nutritional, it must have nutrition to grow itself.

as has been stated, the more varied your diet, the better off you would be. limiting yourself to a few items is not wise.
The Following User Says Thank You to docileone For This Useful Post:
Old 12-06-2015, 09:50 AM
Golfer

Thanked 2,358 Times in 1,341 Posts

A pound of dry corn (15 cents at Tractor Supply Co) and a multi vitamin (4 cents) per day will keep you alive.
The Following User Says Thank You to puttster For This Useful Post:
Old 12-06-2015, 09:58 AM

Honey. A few pounds added to your pantry will last forever, gives solid calories, and can be used for a lot of other things, like wound care. Make sure it is LOCAL honey from a beekeeper or farm market. Supermarket honey is usually a mixture of various types, including chinese crap with preservatives. Local honey needs no prevserving, if it crystalizes, just heat it up, or spread it on bread/crackers.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to diyrob For This Useful Post: