Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Polygamy and survivalism? edward777 General Discussion 158 04-03-2019 12:28 AM
Polygamy ActionJackson Religious Discussion 40 05-24-2011 08:01 PM
Polygamy? 300mag Religious Discussion 0 09-20-2010 08:21 PM
Theory of evolution vs Polygamy Cult Mullenite Religious Discussion 32 07-23-2010 12:11 AM
Polygamy/Polygyny? scipio337 Religious Discussion 47 12-28-2009 08:18 PM
Polygamy Taisdealach Religious Discussion 11 02-18-2009 02:44 PM
Polygamy Moirlend Religious Discussion 8 02-18-2009 02:43 PM
Sen. Reid Says Polygamy Is 'Form of Organized Crime' Mullenite General Discussion 5 07-28-2008 06:17 AM

View Poll Results: Do you believe polygamy is a sin?
Yes. 18 43.90%
No. 19 46.34%
I don't know. 4 9.76%
Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-04-2015, 11:18 PM

Advertise Here

I guess I am a little skeptical when someone mentions the use of singular, possessive, etc, etc in a book that has been rewritten several times AFTER the original translation from hebrew (aramaic?) into latin (after 200 or so years) and much later into english. At least one time it was rewritten to suit someones alternate view of marriage (King James ver?), unless I am mistaken. Oh, and then it was rewritten (or translated depending on your beliefs) again to support polygamy (Joseph Smith ver). It seems to me that the only text ever written by the hand of God was set in stone (which Mr Heston promptly broke). I think I see a recurring pattern here...If God does try to give us guidance we (humans) aren't happy until we mix our grubby little monkey paws in it and twist it to suit our current dilemma.
Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to XJCountry For This Useful Post:
Old 09-04-2015, 11:23 PM

I didnt mean to imply that the Book of Mormon was a rehash of the bible. I included it as another example of people changing a holy text.
Old 09-05-2015, 01:19 AM
Solo Adventurer

According to the bible, King Solomon had hundreds of wives. Also according to the bible, a man can kill his wife if she turns out not to be a virgin.

Funny how Christians pick and choose parts of the bible to obey, and completely defy their god at the same time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-05-2015, 08:33 AM
ΙΧΘΥΣ

Thanked 32,088 Times in 7,660 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by XJCountry View Post
I guess I am a little skeptical when someone mentions the use of singular, possessive, etc, etc in a book that has been rewritten several times AFTER the original translation from hebrew (aramaic?) into latin (after 200 or so years) and much later into english. At least one time it was rewritten to suit someones alternate view of marriage (King James ver?), unless I am mistaken. Oh, and then it was rewritten (or translated depending on your beliefs) again to support polygamy (Joseph Smith ver). It seems to me that the only text ever written by the hand of God was set in stone (which Mr Heston promptly broke). I think I see a recurring pattern here...If God does try to give us guidance we (humans) aren't happy until we mix our grubby little monkey paws in it and twist it to suit our current dilemma.
Yes, you are mistaken. There is more proof of the Bible's authenticity than for any other ancient, historical manuscript we have. There are zero credible trained historians today claiming that the Bible has been changed from its original content...which is pretty miraculous if you ask me.

Here's a quick link, although you can easily do your own research. http://www.godandscience.org/apologetics/bibleorg.html

This one is easy because there is so much information available and because even those scholars and historians out there who do not believe in God agree that the Bible has remained relatively unchanged. No one disputes the Bible's authenticity other than those who have never bothered to look at the evidence.
Old 09-05-2015, 08:54 AM
Hunter

Thanked 3,854 Times in 1,160 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trippers View Post
According to the bible, King Solomon had hundreds of wives. Also according to the bible, a man can kill his wife if she turns out not to be a virgin.

Funny how Christians pick and choose parts of the bible to obey, and completely defy their god at the same time.
Exactly which verse is it that tells a man he can kill his wife if she's not a virgin? I'm not familiar with that one. Never saw the attraction to virgins myself. I prefer a woman with some experience.
Old 09-05-2015, 08:59 AM
Oath Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trippers View Post

Typically when someone whips out "According to the Bible....Christians......" it's because they are using a reference prior to Christians existing, from the Old Testament, to condemn Christians today.

Thanks for not disappointing.

I'll give you a nice shiny nickel if you can find a Christian, that is a Follower of Jesus, not just a believer, that would agree with your claim that it is ok to murder your wife if she turns out to not be a virgin.

The clock is ticking...
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DANKELLY125 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-06-2015, 12:25 AM
Gumpherhooberpelt

Thanked 7,921 Times in 2,661 Posts

Personally, I don't know what God said about polygamy. All I can see are writings attributed to inspired men, or witnesses, or scribes that claim their authority is from God. But I can't find proof either way. But I respect their attempt to find order from the chaos.

As to the institution of marriage, generally, the joining of people and their property for the benefit of progeny seems to be the rule, not the exception.

The simplest arrangement is one man + one woman = descendant(s). Thus property is passed to the next generation.
There is problem is the couple is infertile. But that's another issue.

Though not stressed, there is also an unspoken conflict inherent in cultures that practice nomadic lifestyle versus settled farming. This comes into play when the issue of inheritance arises.

In a nomadic culture, where there is no land ownership, multiple wives and multiple children are no problem - plenty to do the work. Splitting up the herd to endow each child is no problem. Natural increase will make up the difference, in no time.

In a farming culture, where there is land ownership and exclusivity, multiple wives and multiple heirs can be a source of conflict. Endowing only the first born (male) can really scorch the prospects for all other family members... like the widows who aren't the mother of the new landholder, or their children. And if property is divided among all the children, a farm might become unsustainable after repeated divisions.

In that case, it would make sense to enforce monogamy in farming cultures that practice absolute ownership of land, while tolerating polygamy (or polyandry) in nomadic cultures that only recognize transient use of land.

Speculation mode on

In the future, assuming humanity has begun colonizing outer space via giant space habitats, that are endlessly replicated, and can resume geometric expansion, then monogamy is really not important, for no one will have exclusive ownership of a habitat's volume to pass on to the next generation. Though within a mothership's finite space, the culture will be more akin to nomads - but with the option to build more habitat and go forth.

I would think that a Deity that wants humans to be fruitful and multiply, would probably support that goal.
Old 09-06-2015, 12:34 AM
Gumpherhooberpelt

Thanked 7,921 Times in 2,661 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JL1 View Post
There is a quote that sums it up "Women want one man to fulfill their every need. Men want every woman to fulfill their one need."
I like that.

It sums up human nature : men are generally self reliant, while women are generally dependent.

And if women can get their needs met, they will dispense with the menfolk!
Old 09-06-2015, 09:19 AM
Survivor

Thanked 23,218 Times in 8,098 Posts

Why in God's name would I want another husband?

Someone once asked me a question. How many pills did I take every day for my mental illness? 8, I told her.

She asked me how long I had been married. 23 years.

She asked me how many crazy pills I had been taking when I met him.

None.

"I thought so".
The Following User Says Thank You to PurpleKitty For This Useful Post:
Old 09-06-2015, 10:36 AM
<--My Faverolle Chicken

Thanked 1,686 Times in 629 Posts

Seems like and easy one --- Exodus 20:14 You shall not commit adultery.
Adultery - Voluntary sexual intercourse between a married person and a person who is not his or her spouse.
But the rub is that if you marry before having sex with a second person then maybe your in the clear?

I am not the bible scholar so anyone can poke holes in this line of thought.
Old 09-06-2015, 10:51 AM
Layman

Thanked 2,858 Times in 1,378 Posts

""The contracting of marriage with several wives had been done away with from the times of the prophets. For we read, 'Do not go after your lusts, but refrain yourself from your appetites' (quoting Sirach 18:30)...And in another place, 'Let your fountain be blessed and rejoice with the wife of thy youth.' (quoting Proverbs 5:18) This plainly forbids a plurality of wives." Saint Methodius of Olympus 290AD

We do not indeed forbid the union of man and woman, blest by God as the seminary of the human race, and devised for the replenishment of the earth and the furnishing of the world, and therefore permitted, yet singly. For Adam was the one husband of Eve, and Eve his one wife, one woman, one rib. We grant, that among our ancestors, and the patriarchs themselves, it was lawful not only to marry, but even to multiply wives. There were concubines, too, (in those days.) But although the Church did come in figuratively in the synagogue, yet (to interpret simply) it was necessary to institute (certain things) which should afterward deserve to be either lopped off or modified. For the Law was (in due time) to supervene. (Nor was that enough: ) for it was meet that causes for making up the deficiencies of the Law should have forerun (Him who was to supply those deficiencies). And so to the Law presently had to succeed the Word of God introducing the spiritual circumcision. Therefore, by means of the wide licence of those days, materials for subsequent emendations were furnished beforehand, of which materials the Lord by His Gospel, and then the apostle in the last days of the (Jewish) age, either cut off the redundancies or regulated the disorders.
-- St. Tertullian 155AD – 240 AD

If, then, the teaching of the prophets and of Himself moves you, it is better for you to follow God than your imprudent and blind masters, who even till this time permit each man to have four or five wives; and if any one see a beautiful woman and desire to have her, they quote the doings of Jacob [called] Israel, and of the other patriarchs, and maintain that it is not wrong to do such things; for they are miserably ignorant in this matter. For, as I before said, certain dispensations of weighty mysteries were accomplished in each act of this sort. For in the marriages of Jacob I shall mention what dispensation and prophecy were accomplished, in order that you may thereby know that your teachers never looked at the divine motive which prompted each act, but only at the grovelling and corrupting passions. Attend therefore to what I say. The marriages of Jacob were types of that which Christ was about to accomplish. For it was not lawful for Jacob to marry two sisters at once. And he serves Laban for [one of] the daughters; and being deceived in [the obtaining of] the younger, he again served seven years. Now Leah is your people and synagogue; but Rachel is our Church. And for these, and for the servants in both, Christ even now serves. For while Noah gave to the two sons the seed of the third as servants, now on the other hand Christ has come to restore both the free sons and the servants among them, conferring the same honour on all of them who keep His commandments; even as the children of the free women and the children of the bond women born to Jacob were all sons, and equal in dignity. And it was foretold what each should be according to rank and according to fore-knowledge. Jacob served Laban for speckled and many-spotted sheep; and Christ served, even to the slavery of the cross, for the various and many-formed races of mankind, acquiring them by the blood and mystery of the cross. Leah was weak-eyed; for the eyes of your souls are excessively weak. Rachel stole the gods of Laban, and has hid them to this day; and we have lost our paternal and material gods. Jacob was hated for all time by his brother; and we now, and our Lord Himself, are hated by you and by all men, though we are brothers by nature. Jacob was called Israel; and Israel has been demonstrated to be the Christ, who is, and is called, Jesus.
- St. Justin Martyr 100AD - 160 AD
The Following User Says Thank You to Sloth For This Useful Post:
Old 09-06-2015, 11:12 AM
ΙΧΘΥΣ

Sloth, thanks for posting that. That is the traditional Judeo-Christian belief going back a long way, but what I'm really looking for is what the Bible says about it. God is very specific about sins like homosexuality, adultery, fornication, stealing, murder, lust...even gluttony, but seems uncommonly silent about polygamy if it is something that He considers to be a sin.
Old 09-06-2015, 11:27 AM
<--My Faverolle Chicken

Thanked 1,686 Times in 629 Posts

I found another passage that may answer the question:
1 Corinthians 7:1-2
1 Now concerning the things whereof ye wrote unto me: It is good for a man not to touch a woman.

2 Nevertheless, to avoid fornication, let every man have his own wife, and let every woman have her own husband.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TitanRX8 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-06-2015, 11:35 AM
ΙΧΘΥΣ

I can't believe I am the only one who admits that I don't know.
Old 09-06-2015, 12:05 PM

Seems to me that Adam was perfect in Gods eyes, until Eve violated the garden.
So if a woman ruins everything, why would you want even one! Much less 2 or more.
Old 09-06-2015, 12:11 PM
Prepare2Live! in Christ

Thanked 1,002 Times in 496 Posts
Default Jesus on marriage

Matthew 19:1-12New American Standard Bible (NASB)

Concerning Divorce

19 (A)When Jesus had finished these words, He departed from Galilee and (B)came into the region of Judea beyond the Jordan; 2 and [a]large crowds followed Him, and (C)He healed them there.

3 Some Pharisees came to [b]Jesus, testing Him and asking, “(D)Is it lawful for a man to [c]divorce his wife for any reason at all?” 4 And He answered and said, “Have you not read (E)that He who created them from the beginning made them male and female, 5 and said, ‘(F)For this reason a man shall leave his father and mother and be joined to his wife, and (G)the two shall become one flesh’? 6 So they are no longer two, but one flesh. What therefore God has joined together, let no man separate.” 7 They *said to Him, “(H)Why then did Moses command to give her a certificate of divorce and send her away?” 8 He *said to them, “Because of your hardness of heart Moses permitted you to [d]divorce your wives; but from the beginning it has not been this way. 9 And I say to you, (I)whoever [e]divorces his wife, except for [f]immorality, and marries another woman [g]commits adultery[h].”

This seems to make having multiple spouses and act of adultery. I would say whether the former spouse is divorced or not.

10 The disciples *said to Him, “If the relationship of the man with his wife is like this, it is better not to marry.” 11 But He said to them, “(J)Not all men can accept this statement, but (K)only those to whom it has been given. 12 For there are eunuchs who were born that way from their mother’s womb; and there are eunuchs who were made eunuchs by men; and there are also eunuchs who made themselves eunuchs for the sake of the kingdom of heaven. He who is able to accept this, let him accept it.”

Footnotes:

a. Matthew 19:2 Lit many
b. Matthew 19:3 Lit Him
c. Matthew 19:3 Or send away
d. Matthew 19:8 Or send away
e. Matthew 19:9 Or sends away
f. Matthew 19:9 Lit fornication
g. Matthew 19:9 Some early mss read makes her commit adultery
h. Matthew 19:9 Some early mss add and he who marries a divorced woman commits adultery

Cross references:

A. Matthew 19:1 : Matt 7:28
B. Matthew 19:1 : Matt 19:1-9: Mark 10:1-12
C. Matthew 19:2 : Matt 4:23
D. Matthew 19:3 : Matt 5:31
E. Matthew 19:4 : Gen 1:27; 5:2
F. Matthew 19:5 : Gen 2:24; Eph 5:31
G. Matthew 19:5 : 1 Cor 6:16
H. Matthew 19:7 : Deut 24:1-4; Matt 5:31
I. Matthew 19:9 : Matt 5:32
J. Matthew 19:11 : 1 Cor 7:7ff
K. Matthew 19:11 : Matt 13:11

1 Timothy 3New American Standard Bible (NASB)

Overseers and Deacons

3 (A)It is a trustworthy statement: if any man aspires to the (B)office of [a]overseer, it is a fine work he desires to do. 2 [b](C)An overseer, then, must be above reproach, (D)the husband of one wife, (E)temperate, prudent, respectable, (F)hospitable, (G)able to teach, 3 (H)not addicted to wine [c]or pugnacious, but gentle, peaceable, (I)free from the love of money. 4 He must be one who (J)manages his own household well, keeping his children under control with all dignity 5 (but if a man does not know how to manage his own household, how will he take care of (K)the church of God?), 6 and not a new convert, so that he will not become (L)conceited and fall into the (M)condemnation [d]incurred by the devil. 7 And he must (N)have a good reputation with (O)those outside the church, so that he will not fall into reproach and (P)the snare of the devil.

Footnotes:

a. 1 Timothy 3:1 Or bishop
b. 1 Timothy 3:2 Lit The
c. 1 Timothy 3:3 Lit not
d. 1 Timothy 3:6 Lit of the devil

Cross references:

A. 1 Timothy 3:1 : 1 Tim 1:15
B. 1 Timothy 3:1 : Acts 20:28; Phil 1:1
C. 1 Timothy 3:2 : 1 Tim 3:2-4; Titus 1:6-8
D. 1 Timothy 3:2 : Luke 2:36f; 1 Tim 5:9; Titus 1:6
E. 1 Timothy 3:2 : 1 Tim 3:8, 11; Titus 2:2
F. 1 Timothy 3:2 : Rom 12:13; Titus 1:8; Heb 13:2; 1 Pet 4:9
G. 1 Timothy 3:2 : 2 Tim 2:24
H. 1 Timothy 3:3 : Titus 1:7
I. 1 Timothy 3:3 : 1 Tim 3:8; 6:10; Titus 1:7; Heb 13:5
J. 1 Timothy 3:4 : 1 Tim 3:12
K. 1 Timothy 3:5 : 1 Cor 10:32; 1 Tim 3:15
L. 1 Timothy 3:6 : 1 Tim 6:4; 2 Tim 3:4
M. 1 Timothy 3:6 : 1 Tim 3:7
N. 1 Timothy 3:7 : 2 Cor 8:21
O. 1 Timothy 3:7 : Mark 4:11
P. 1 Timothy 3:7 : 1 Tim 6:9; 2 Tim 2:26

1 Corinthians 6:12-20 (NASB)

The Body Is the Lord’s

12 (T)All things are lawful for me, but not all things are profitable. All things are lawful for me, but I will not be mastered by anything. 13 (U)Food is for the [g]stomach and the [h]stomach is for food, but God will (V)do away with both [i]of them. Yet the body is not for immorality, but (W)for the Lord, and (X)the Lord is for the body. 14 Now God has not only (Y)raised the Lord, but (Z)will also raise us up through His power. 15 (AA)Do you not know that (AB)your bodies are members of Christ? Shall I then take away the members of Christ and make them members of a prostitute? (AC)May it never be! 16 Or (AD)do you not know that the one who joins himself to a prostitute is one body with her? For He says, “(AE)The two shall become one flesh.” 17 But the one who joins himself to the Lord is (AF)one spirit with Him. 18 (AG)Flee immorality. Every other sin that a man commits is outside the body, but the [j]immoral man sins against his own body. 19 Or (AH)do you not know that (AI)your body is a [k]temple of the Holy Spirit who is in you, whom you have from [l]God, and that (AJ)you are not your own? 20 For (AK)you have been bought with a price: therefore glorify God in (AL)your body.

Footnotes:

g. 1 Corinthians 6:13 Lit belly
h. 1 Corinthians 6:13 Lit belly
i. 1 Corinthians 6:13 Lit it and them
j. 1 Corinthians 6:18 Or one who practices immorality
k. 1 Corinthians 6:19 Or sanctuary
l. 1 Corinthians 6:19 Or God? And you...own

Cross references:

T. 1 Corinthians 6:12 : 1 Cor 10:23
U. 1 Corinthians 6:13 : Matt 15:17
V. 1 Corinthians 6:13 : Col 2:22
W. 1 Corinthians 6:13 : 1 Cor 6:15, 19
X. 1 Corinthians 6:13 : Gal 5:24; Eph 5:23
Y. 1 Corinthians 6:14 : Acts 2:24
Z. 1 Corinthians 6:14 : John 6:39f; 1 Cor 15:23
AA. 1 Corinthians 6:15 : 1 Cor 6:3
AB. 1 Corinthians 6:15 : Rom 12:5; 1 Cor 6:13; 12:27; Eph 5:30
AC. 1 Corinthians 6:15 : Luke 20:16
AD. 1 Corinthians 6:16 : 1 Cor 6:3
AE. 1 Corinthians 6:16 : Gen 2:24; Matt 19:5; Mark 10:8; Eph 5:31
AF. 1 Corinthians 6:17 : John 17:21-23; Rom 8:9-11; 1 Cor 6:15; Gal 2:20
AG. 1 Corinthians 6:18 : 1 Cor 6:9; 2 Cor 12:21; Eph 5:3; Col 3:5; Heb 13:4
AH. 1 Corinthians 6:19 : 1 Cor 6:3
AI. 1 Corinthians 6:19 : John 2:21; 1 Cor 3:16; 2 Cor 6:16
AJ. 1 Corinthians 6:19 : Rom 14:7f
AK. 1 Corinthians 6:20 : Acts 20:28; 1 Cor 7:23; 1 Pet 1:18f; 2 Pet 2:1; Rev 5:9
AL. 1 Corinthians 6:20 : Rom 12:1; Phil 1:20

1 Corinthians 7New American Standard Bible (NASB)

Teaching on Marriage
7 Now concerning the things about which you wrote, it is good for a man not to touch a woman. 2 But because of immoralities, each man is to have his own wife, and each woman is to have her own husband. 3 The husband must fulfill his duty to his wife, and likewise also the wife to her husband. 4 The wife does not have authority over her own body, but the husband does; and likewise also the husband does not have authority over his own body, but the wife does. 5 Stop depriving one another, except by agreement for a time, so that you may devote yourselves to prayer, and come together again so that Satan will not tempt you because of your lack of self-control. 6 But this I say by way of concession, not of command. 7 Yet I wish that all men were even as I myself am. However, each man has his own gift from God, one in this manner, and another in that.

8 But I say to the unmarried and to widows that it is good for them if they remain even as I. 9 But if they do not have self-control, let them marry; for it is better to marry than to burn with passion.

10 But to the married I give instructions, not I, but the Lord, that the wife should not leave her husband 11 (but if she does leave, she must remain unmarried, or else be reconciled to her husband), and that the husband should not divorce his wife.

12 But to the rest I say, not the Lord, that if any brother has a wife who is an unbeliever, and she consents to live with him, he must not divorce her. 13 And a woman who has an unbelieving husband, and he consents to live with her, she must not send her husband away. 14 For the unbelieving husband is sanctified through his wife, and the unbelieving wife is sanctified through her believing husband; for otherwise your children are unclean, but now they are holy. 15 Yet if the unbelieving one leaves, let him leave; the brother or the sister is not under bondage in such cases, but God has called us to peace. 16 For how do you know, O wife, whether you will save your husband? Or how do you know, O husband, whether you will save your wife?

17 Only, as the Lord has assigned to each one, as God has called each, in this manner let him walk. And so I direct in all the churches. 18 Was any man called when he was already circumcised? He is not to become uncircumcised. Has anyone been called in uncircumcision? He is not to be circumcised. 19 Circumcision is nothing, and uncircumcision is nothing, but what matters is the keeping of the commandments of God. 20 Each man must remain in that condition in which he was called.

21 Were you called while a slave? Do not worry about it; but if you are able also to become free, rather do that. 22 For he who was called in the Lord while a slave, is the Lord’s freedman; likewise he who was called while free, is Christ’s slave. 23 You were bought with a price; do not become slaves of men. 24 Brethren, each one is to remain with God in that condition in which he was called.

25 Now concerning virgins I have no command of the Lord, but I give an opinion as one who by the mercy of the Lord is trustworthy. 26 I think then that this is good in view of the present distress, that it is good for a man to remain as he is. 27 Are you bound to a wife? Do not seek to be released. Are you released from a wife? Do not seek a wife. 28 But if you marry, you have not sinned; and if a virgin marries, she has not sinned. Yet such will have trouble in this life, and I am trying to spare you. 29 But this I say, brethren, the time has been shortened, so that from now on those who have wives should be as though they had none; 30 and those who weep, as though they did not weep; and those who rejoice, as though they did not rejoice; and those who buy, as though they did not possess; 31 and those who use the world, as though they did not make full use of it; for the form of this world is passing away.

32 But I want you to be free from concern. One who is unmarried is concerned about the things of the Lord, how he may please the Lord; 33 but one who is married is concerned about the things of the world, how he may please his wife, 34 and his interests are divided. The woman who is unmarried, and the virgin, is concerned about the things of the Lord, that she may be holy both in body and spirit; but one who is married is concerned about the things of the world, how she may please her husband. 35 This I say for your own benefit; not to put a restraint upon you, but to promote what is appropriate and to secure undistracted devotion to the Lord.

36 But if any man thinks that he is acting unbecomingly toward his virgin daughter, if she is past her youth, and if it must be so, let him do what he wishes, he does not sin; let her marry. 37 But he who stands firm in his heart, being under no constraint, but has authority over his own will, and has decided this in his own heart, to keep his own virgin daughter, he will do well. 38 So then both he who gives his own virgin daughter in marriage does well, and he who does not give her in marriage will do better.

39 A wife is bound as long as her husband lives; but if her husband is dead, she is free to be married to whom she wishes, only in the Lord. 40 But in my opinion she is happier if she remains as she is; and I think that I also have the Spirit of God.

According to Paul and Jesus, being single and pure is best, but if a person cannot control their lusts, they should get married. They should stay married to the one spouse. If they divorce the spouse, to get remarried is to commit adultery (unless divorced because the spouse was unfaithful); how much more of an adultery is it to get married while still married? If serving the Lord is divided by one wife; how much more divided with more than one wife??

In all of these verses, marriage is to a single spouse and marriage to more than one person is not allowed (except as already pointed out). Therefore, according to Jesus and Paul, polygamy is a sin. (That's the way I read it.)
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to EndTimesAlliance For This Useful Post:
Old 09-06-2015, 12:18 PM
?

Thanked 4,075 Times in 1,321 Posts

Of the three types of polygamy, scripturally I see no prohibition for polygyny (man with multiple wives) just because of singular or plural in the New Testament; that could just as well be because the discussion is about a husband and his relationship with a wife. I do think you can argue that an elder has to have only one wife based on 1 Timothy 3:2.

I do not see anywhere that polyandry (woman with multiple husbands) or polyamory (group marriage) is biblical by edict or example.
The Following User Says Thank You to allye For This Useful Post:
Old 09-07-2015, 08:48 AM
His Disciple

Thanked 8,307 Times in 3,330 Posts

Genesis 2:24 This is why a man is to leave his father and mother and stick with his wife (singular), and they are to be one flesh.

Mark 10:7 For this reason, a man should leave his father and mother and be united with his wife, 8 and the two (not three, four, five, or ten) are to become one flesh.

Leviticus 18:18 "You shall not take a woman who is a rival to her sister, uncovering her nakedness while she is still alive".

Here is a good discussion on this subject: http://www.therefinersfire.org/multiple_wives_myth.htm
The Following User Says Thank You to esheldon For This Useful Post:
Old 09-07-2015, 08:53 AM
His Disciple

Thanked 8,307 Times in 3,330 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamppapa View Post
Lilith God made Lilith,Adam then Eve.
I have heard of that before too. But here is some more info from the Judaic side of the house: http://www.myjewishlearning.com/arti...g-in-darkness/
Old 09-08-2015, 09:53 AM
Hunter

Thanked 1,649 Times in 656 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 13ella View Post
So was it acceptable before Christ died on the cross, and then became unacceptable after but someone forgot to write it down?
that is worth wondering about ain't it?, for the Bible teaches that what Gods says goes for always and forever, he never changes. If one man can keep several wives happy who's to say it is not right ,,, only God knows that, it might be nice to have help for the children and the cooking and cleaning and if you don't want to be the one he sleeps with send him to the next one,,, mmmmm