Anyone playing with windows 8 yet ? - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

The Tech Zone Discussion on computers, software and games.

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Windows 7 Pro vs. Windows 7 Ultimate strvger The Tech Zone 30 03-26-2015 11:35 AM
new Windows 10 = no privacy realc4ever The Tech Zone 20 10-04-2014 10:18 PM
Windows 8.1 me The Tech Zone 0 12-05-2013 07:53 AM
New Windows! Emerald Eyes Jokes, Humor & Music 2 07-13-2011 09:58 PM
Windows oktx Urban Survival 40 01-05-2011 09:20 PM
Windows 7 hedley The Tech Zone 3 08-22-2010 04:36 PM
windows you don't use bravo1983 Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 4 11-03-2009 08:41 PM
Windows 7... ImbriD The Tech Zone 34 09-28-2009 05:21 AM
DC 9 windows mongoose Jokes, Humor & Music 0 06-23-2008 03:13 PM

Old 10-23-2012, 11:49 PM
Patient Zero

Thanked 1,236 Times in 600 Posts
Default Anyone playing with windows 8 yet ?

Advertise Here

I am playing around with the release version of windows 8 x64 and I got to say that once I downloaded the classic start menu program I did start to notice how much faster and powerful and even a bit more stable then windows 7. Granted this is only a pre-release version I do think that while not a necessary upgrade it will have its place among the elite of windows operating systems.
Quick reply to this message
Old 10-26-2012, 09:30 AM
Rebel Against Tyrants

Thanked 19,781 Times in 6,641 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Member 
Total Awards: 1

I am downloading the full version atm, I will post my review later
The Following User Says Thank You to Straza For This Useful Post:
Old 10-26-2012, 10:06 AM
derp

i had the release client on one of our work computers for about an hour before i nuked and paved it. the UI is garbage in my opinion.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lokimotiv For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-26-2012, 10:10 AM
Gravity is a Theory.

Thanked 6,537 Times in 1,990 Posts

Ill wait till the end of the year before I buy. Windows 7 64bit has been very pleasant to work on.
Old 10-26-2012, 10:13 AM
Deo iuvante

Thanked 13,590 Times in 3,772 Posts

I've played with it a little bit. It will be the next Windows Vista.
Old 10-26-2012, 10:53 AM
Prepared

I think it's going to be better on tablets.
Old 10-26-2012, 01:36 PM
Just reboot 3 times...

Thanked 2,700 Times in 1,175 Posts

I love it. Vista, it will not be. Once it is tried on a tab, it really shines. But as far as on a normal desktop, it has so far just been a learning curve. Not bad at all. It is different, yes. But very nice once you get used to it.

It does take better advantage of hardware than previous versions, and is quite snappy.

For those with a 360, Win8 PC or Tab, and a Win8 phone, the uses and advantages will be very cool, IMO. They are meant to make it a seamless experience from one to the other... we will see how well that is pulled off, however.

Our Programers have been developing on it since we got the release (not the release candidate), and no problems whatsoever. Performance is stellar. We are a MS Partner so have had it for a while.

FWIW, my .02
Old 10-26-2012, 10:10 PM
Patient Zero

Quote:
Originally Posted by lokimotiv View Post
i had the release client on one of our work computers for about an hour before i nuked and paved it. the UI is garbage in my opinion.
I downloaded a third party program that gives a classic start menu which should be included in the final release. But I do agree that the new UI is a real POS
Old 10-27-2012, 11:47 AM
Prepared

Ben using RTM for over a month. I like it for the most part. Its fast, its pretty, .. I have found that after a while of use i never even see the metro UI there are plenty of hot keys to get around that.
Old 10-28-2012, 06:58 PM

I've been using it for several months, I toyed with it since the Dev release, but actually finally installed it on a machine with the CP release on my laptop full time. Then the RP. I've now got the RTM version from MSDNAA loaded on both my laptop and desktop and it runs beautifully. Fast, quick, and stable. The new UI is different, but if you really give it a chance and customize it, it works great. I guess it depends on how badly you rely on the old fashioned start menu as to how you respond to the newer start screen. I was never a start menu user, I had main programs pinned and other stuff I just hit the start button (keyboard) and type it in. Works the same way on Win8. Hit start and start typing (you don't have to activate the search charm).

One thing you really need to understand is the "desktop" is legacy, it's there for legacy support and that's pretty much it. The start screen is the future and eventually, not now, and certainly not in Windows 9, but eventually, it will be what replaces the desktop completely. But that's like another 10-15 years of technology evolution. The way computers work and people work with them will be completely different by then, just like it's pretty much completely different now than it was 15 or so years ago.

And yes, it's absolutely awesome on the touch machines as well. I had the pleasure of playing with a Vivo RT at Office Depot Friday (launch day) and Saturday I had the absolute joy of working with a Surface with Type cover. It was unbelievable. It reminded me of the first time I played with an iPad

I will say, I was so totally lost at first using Windows 8 with touch, I couldn't figure anything out because I'm so used to using a keyboard and mouse to navigate it. I know how to bring up my charms, start screen, multi task bar, etc... It took me a while to figure all that out (okay, charms was easy) when I first started with the touch interface.

Oh, and for IT admins and such freaking cause they can't find computer management and stuff, go to the bottom left corner, where your start screen icon pops up, and right click. Access to basically every tool you could want. They even through in Programs and Features, though you can uninstall a program very easily at the start screen, select and uninstall (that includes old fashioned desktop apps).
Old 10-29-2012, 11:18 AM
Hunter

Thanked 1,133 Times in 621 Posts

I'm still using Vista 32 on a gaming PC I built in 2009. If it isn't broke, don't fix it, I'm fine with what I got.
Old 10-30-2012, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by psycosteve View Post
I downloaded a third party program that gives a classic start menu which should be included in the final release. But I do agree that the new UI is a real POS
Which 3rd party program did you opt for?

Classic Shell - ViStart or StartMenu7?
Old 10-30-2012, 09:15 PM
Patient Zero

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoguePrepper View Post
Which 3rd party program did you opt for?

Classic Shell - ViStart or StartMenu7?
Classic shell in XP mode .
Old 10-31-2012, 05:45 PM
Independent Thinker

Thanked 2,821 Times in 978 Posts

I have it and love it so far. I've been waiting for apps on a PC.
Old 10-31-2012, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antwan23 View Post
I have it and love it so far. I've been waiting for apps on a PC.
I can't wait for apps you buy and get on all platforms (Win8, WP8, and 360). I know they have a few games, or at least one, that go across all platforms (like your progress/saves), but I don't know if you have to purchase it on each platform separately or not.
Old 10-31-2012, 08:34 PM
Tilt. Cock. Lock. Look.

Location: Wave Hill Station. Northern Territory of Australia.
Thanked 1,972 Times in 840 Posts

I haven't played with it. I'm a Mint convert.

Though the irony is not lost on me; billg leaves and all of a sudden M$ can create a good OS.
Old 11-04-2012, 01:35 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ijE3...=UL-ijE3RSeTrU
The Following User Says Thank You to dennis For This Useful Post:
Old 11-04-2012, 05:44 AM
Hunter

Thanked 1,354 Times in 697 Posts

I am looking at buying a new laptop that will likely have win8 on it.

What i want to know is what happens when something goes badly wrong.
loss of hard drive, infection needing format and reload, ect. ect.

Do you get win8 disk or do you have to buy win8 to repair your computer.

if you don't get anyway to repair win8 i willl have to buy a high-capacity 128gb flash drive to clone win8 to for a emergency repair if needed.

And don't tell me i will need to take my computer to a shop for repair it will not happen.

With win XP and linux mint12 i have on my computers now i have a cloned copy on a extra hard drive that i keep on the shelf ready to instal in a emergency or for my Linux mint computer i have a 64 gb flash drive with a cloned copy ready to reload my mint computer if i lose a hard drive.

with my XP computer i have not lost data in the last 8 years because of my keeping a clone copy.
plus if i lose a hard drive i am back on line in 15 minites by putting my clone in. .

With the mint flash drive i can also use it on any computer by booting from the flash drive.
This give me a portable OS set up like i like it with all my files and aps plus the security and privacy of not leaving tracks on other's computers
Old 11-04-2012, 06:44 PM
Montani Semper Liberi

I ran XP until my computer crapped out on me, and I'll be running windows 7 until this computer goes to that great junk pile in the sky. Microsoft will just have to wait to get another penny from me, cause this computer is running just fine for what I need it for.
Old 11-05-2012, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainstate View Post
I ran XP until my computer crapped out on me, and I'll be running windows 7 until this computer goes to that great junk pile in the sky. Microsoft will just have to wait to get another penny from me, cause this computer is running just fine for what I need it for.
Nothing wrong with that, I always run my hardware until something fails or I'm sufficiently a few iterations behind the latest versions and feel I need to upgrade to keep up, or rather, research and learn the newest standards and types of connections and whatnot. Being in the tech field and focusing on Microsoft technologies, I feel it's important for me to continue using the latest versions of Microsoft's products because people come to me for help and I can't do much good if I've not got the experience.

It makes perfect sense to me for "normal" (read, non-techie) people to stick to what works until it no longer works. I wouldn't go more than two iterations behind on an OS version though for securities sake (updates and whatnot).