I am spent. Ten months on preps. - Page 3 - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Food and water Discussion on food and water storage, water purification and related topics.

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How much have you spent? Mpompilio Military Weapons Forum 55 07-29-2016 08:36 AM
How much have you spent? BScout Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 23 07-26-2016 12:48 PM
Food Preps after Stored Survival Preps are Gone Sadie_Parker Food and water 11 04-24-2015 10:33 PM
Is time spent on SB better spent doing something else? bt25803 General Discussion 15 02-20-2013 07:20 AM
How much have you spent? rachelanne820 Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 25 02-29-2012 07:32 PM
This months survival food preps kev Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 7 08-01-2011 01:50 PM
POLL--How much have you spent on preps and survivalism? goose3 Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 18 07-24-2011 05:04 AM
From zero to basic preps in six months Hudson Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 1 05-29-2010 12:01 PM
% of income spent on preps catfishsooner Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 16 03-02-2009 05:43 AM

Old 04-21-2012, 09:06 PM
I love this forum

Advertise Here

Awesome! Thanks for the great thread! Did the experience make you more or less likely to add animals to your prepping plans? I am thinking of chickens or dairy goats.
Quick reply to this message
Old 04-21-2012, 09:09 PM
Forum Administrator

Thanked 15,859 Times in 4,423 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Thread 
Total Awards: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsols View Post
Awesome! Thanks for the great thread! Did the experience make you more or less likely to add animals to your prepping plans? I am thinking of chickens or dairy goats.
We could do chickens but, decided to hold off because we rent. Hoping to buy a place of our own in a couple of years. Having animals would have made this a lot easier.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to MTShawn For This Useful Post:
Old 04-21-2012, 09:46 PM
Not what I appear to be

Thanked 4,617 Times in 1,373 Posts

Absolutely excellent thread, Thanks !
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Old Warrior For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-21-2012, 11:18 PM
Target Shooter

Thanked 1,051 Times in 184 Posts

Well done the food looks great lol.
The Following User Says Thank You to DPS33 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-22-2012, 11:11 AM
I am a woman. :o)

Thanked 7,140 Times in 2,281 Posts

What an inspiring story! And hats off to your family, for pulling together and turning a negative into a great big triumph! Best of luck to you!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to keepingon For This Useful Post:
Old 04-22-2012, 03:30 PM
Forum Administrator

Awards Showcase
Outstanding Thread 

Several of you asked about the oil I had in storage. We first used the olive oils in the kitchen pantry. We prefer it and I wanted to make sure we didn't waste any. The ones in the storage pantry were the 1.75 gallon Canola oil from Costco. It was kept dark and at a little less than room temperature. By the time we used it all, it was 18 months old and still fine. I am thinking we were lucky.
I am no fan of plastic storage, as in time it will let air in. I would prefer glass. That said, I would not hesitate to keep a years worth on hand and will keep this much in stock as soon as I rebuild the pantry. I was pleasantly surprised that most things lasted as well as they did. Much longer than most people recommend.
The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to MTShawn For This Useful Post:
Old 04-22-2012, 04:07 PM
Standing by to stand by

First of all great write up! I think this is exactly why most of us come to this site, to see how this is done. You did a fantastic job with what you had!

Second, could you tell us how you managed the non food stuff? Like toilet paper, aluminum foil, running water?, etc. I know that you already mentioned mending clothes and trading for your son's yearbook photo's. I was just wondering if there was non food stuff that you wished you had more of.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Tyrenz For This Useful Post:
Old 04-22-2012, 04:40 PM
Prepared

I think what you did is admirable. Having spent many years over the road in a truck I understand where you are coming from. I think it is great that you took a look at your supplies, used them and found out exactly where your shortcomings were.
My hat is off to you for a job well done!
Thank you for sharing with us. I think we will get some good information from your experience.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to doublenut9 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-22-2012, 05:09 PM
Forum Administrator

Awards Showcase
Outstanding Thread 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrenz View Post
Second, could you tell us how you managed the non food stuff? Like toilet paper, aluminum foil, running water?, etc. I know that you already mentioned mending clothes and trading for your son's yearbook photo's. I was just wondering if there was non food stuff that you wished you had more of.
Good question!

With a family this size we usually buy in bulk so most things lasted. We had a few hundred rolls of TP. We had several hundred sq ft of foil and butcher paper. We just ran out of plastic wrap but, we don't use it much. We have lots of Tupperware.
Things I wish we had more of... hmmm...
1) Ziplock bags. Not needed but, a nice, practical thing to have.

2) We ran uncomfortably low on laundry detergent. We only had enough for 400 loads worth or so of commercial detergent. We almost had to make some homemade. Lol

3) We ran out of Dish soap about 9 months in. Had a gallon of concentrate. Again homemade is not an issue. We have supplies for that, if needed, for an extended emergency.

Other personal hygiene and cleaning supplies made it just fine and we still have some left. One thing to consider is if you have children. 2 of my boys have their beards coming on thick now a days. They ran out of razors and had to burn through my stock. I imagine the same impact with someone with a daughter coming of age. Keep that in mind.

Of all these things, I think having more foil would be the most beneficial and plan on stocking much more in the future. It has so many uses.

Of course, none of these are necessities in the true sense. In the short term YES these are needed to ease into a different lifestyle. Just make sure you have the means to do things like our great grandparents did.
We try to separate our preps into 3 groups, that when used together can lead us to sufficiency. This thread is about phase one level preps. The one we all are most likely to encounter in the short term. That is a year of supplies that keep you moving forward with little to no discomfort. This can and will probably move to phase two for a good part of us in the near future if trends keep on the pace they are on. We almost hit phase two. The only reason we didn't is because I have marketable skills that are in demand right now and I had a choice. I'll come back in a few and describe our three tier plan for an extended emergency.

Last edited by MTShawn; 04-22-2012 at 06:23 PM..
Old 04-23-2012, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grandma View Post
I checked out the site, and it looks very interesting; one thing that caught my eye, though, was it says "once opened, needs to be kept refrigerated". There are many situations where there won't be refrigeration, and some of those cans are quite large... ideas anyone?
When i replied the other day I had completely forgotten about this primitive method of refrigeration. Zeer Pots

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zeer_pot

http://www.greenlivingtips.com/artic...ectricity.html

http://images.search.yahoo.com/searc...-s&va=zeer+pot

The Following 17 Users Say Thank You to Dreadnought For This Useful Post:
Old 04-23-2012, 02:10 PM

Thanks MTShawn, this is the best post in awhile.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to WallSt_analyst For This Useful Post:
Old 04-23-2012, 02:43 PM

I am happy about all the nice response to this thread. Please let me know how the recipes turned out for you and if you liked them as much as we do.
The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to MTEdith For This Useful Post:
Old 04-23-2012, 03:19 PM
Old Hounds Smell Good

Thanked 2,347 Times in 743 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by riley17 View Post
Thanks for sharing!

Where did you buy those four containers in the one picture? The one that's labeled oats and beans and stuff.

Thanks!
~Holly
You can get those at PetsMart in most cities. They are dog food bins but they work GREAT for other stuff too.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to ChristyACB For This Useful Post:
Old 04-23-2012, 03:29 PM

Aye carumba, thank you!
The Following User Says Thank You to juanpablo For This Useful Post:
Old 04-26-2012, 07:07 AM
Survivor

Thanked 2,480 Times in 1,077 Posts

We still waiting on the Pretzels ...... Found the Reciepy post from your better half? Thanks!

Last edited by Swampwood; 04-26-2012 at 08:52 AM.. Reason: Found it
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Swampwood For This Useful Post:
Old 04-26-2012, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swampwood View Post
We still waiting on the Pretzels
It's posted here: https://www.survivalistboards.com/sho...61#post4060461
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to johnnngalt For This Useful Post:
Old 04-26-2012, 04:26 PM
Forum Administrator

Awards Showcase
Outstanding Thread 
Default Update one of many.

Well, I figured I would be working by now. Turns out it is going to be a month or so before my first check. Cash is a precious commodity and we have very little extra and is going to be needed for other things. So we are going to crack open some of our LTS. I have been wanting to inspect it anyway.

The first mylar packed superpails we will open will be 20-22 years old. Kinda exciting. Lol. We will cook small portions to see how they are, quality wise. I will take pictures throughout the process and post them here tonight. Stay tuned.....

Regards,
Shawn and family.
The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to MTShawn For This Useful Post:
Old 04-26-2012, 05:52 PM
I ain't doing that!!

Thanked 12,441 Times in 4,656 Posts

I just want you to know that you and your family are in my prayers. I'm kinda far away but if there is anything I could do that might help you guys out, just PM. If it's in my power it will happen.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BadgeBunny For This Useful Post:
Old 04-26-2012, 06:06 PM
Forum Administrator

Awards Showcase
Outstanding Thread 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgeBunny View Post
I just want you to know that you and your family are in my prayers. I'm kinda far away but if there is anything I could do that might help you guys out, just PM. If it's in my power it will happen.
Thanks, we really are ok. Prayers are always welcome too. Everyone is healthy and we do have family to help if needed. They would never let us go hungry or homeless.
Call this an exercise of self reliance. So many prep without knowing how to cook with it, how to balance a meal and thrive. We did this partly out of need but, also felt a need to put our preps to the test. One reason we prep is so we are not a burden on others. We don't get help from the .gov's and rely on family only when needed.
I figured a lot of people could learn something from this. In a couple of months we will be living the "high life" again, in the modern world while still prepping.
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to MTShawn For This Useful Post:
Old 04-26-2012, 06:58 PM
I love this forum

Thanked 3,318 Times in 1,724 Posts

All I can say is good job! I only hope that we could have such a positive attitude should we have our own personal SHTF I hope you find employement soon & your family continues to have good health.