Canned Meat Reviews - Page 14 - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Food and water Discussion on food and water storage, water purification and related topics.

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What do you guys think about canned meat? Kommandeer Food and water 60 06-12-2015 01:38 AM
Question about canned meat Floridian Farming, Gardening & Homesteading 16 06-12-2015 12:51 AM
fat in canned meat London808 Food and water 14 10-21-2014 12:36 AM
Best canned meat? Outraged Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 21 04-01-2013 11:56 AM
Top #1 best canned meat benson56 Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 118 04-01-2013 11:23 AM
Pressure canned meat peak_oil Food and water 6 09-03-2011 08:39 PM
About.com - Canned meat recipes newberrie Recipes 0 08-03-2010 05:25 PM
Canned Meat kestak Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 34 01-29-2010 09:43 AM
Canned meat kestak Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 8 12-23-2009 12:56 PM
canned meat Paradox Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 12 04-29-2008 07:14 AM

Old 11-18-2014, 11:27 PM
Trump=WhiteObama=BlkBush

Thanked 13,876 Times in 5,880 Posts

Advertise Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by panoz77 View Post
Yup

Much cheaper at Walmart, I'm happy that I know I will always have it available in Ohio. I think our beef is $6.88 last time I bought two cases.
I'd buy 12 cases of the hamburger if I could get it at the Walmart prices.
Quick reply to this message
Old 11-19-2014, 08:08 AM
Survivor

Thanked 1,829 Times in 1,073 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levant View Post
I'd buy 12 cases of the hamburger if I could get it at the Walmart prices.
Have you asked your local Walmart if they can order you a few cases? They might do that.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jbob12 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-30-2014, 12:08 PM
Transplant

I just wanted to say thank you to everyone who participated in this thread. It's been extremely informative. I have avoided canned meats except for tuna (and spam, which I ate as a kid) until now, but these posts have encourage me to try some new varieties.

On a related note, I had NO IDEA what kind of variety you could find in canned goods until I read this thread and took a look on Amazon. Rattlesnake, Alligator, Cod livers, lingonberries, gooseberries, kiwi, mango, lychees, yakitori from Japan. Very interesting. Maybe I won't die from food boredom when SHTF
The Following User Says Thank You to Haleigh8 For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-12-2015, 12:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Warrior View Post
I like DAK hams 16 oz. cans, I bought mine at CVS when they were on sale.
There has already been so much said about them in other threads, I really don't know what I could add, except....a picture.
Thanks! I'm not really a spam fan, but Dak ham actually has some real grains of ham meat you can see.
The Following User Says Thank You to FamilyPrepper For This Useful Post:
Old 06-12-2015, 12:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfountain2 View Post
I've seen a lot of threads talking about spam, or various other canned meats, and they can be found all over the forum.

I thought with this thread we could make a central place to post reviews of the various canned meats and be able to find them easier (since I'll make this a sticky).

So.... to start it off here's my review of Werling and Sons Canned Beef

I have recently purchased some Werling and Sons canned meats and decided to try out the canned beef. I must say I am impressed with it.

It is a 14.5oz can (soup size) and on the nutritional info it says it has about 7 servings in the can.... that comes out to roughly 2 ounces per serving which aint a lot of meat. That 2oz contains 80 calories, 3.5 grams of fat (1.5 saturated) 30mg cholesterol, 110mg sodium, 0 carbs and 11 grams of protein.

Werling and Sons cook the meat in the can in it's natural juice and seal it right then. The ingredients on the can are beef, water, and salt... that's it. The smell of the beef after opening the can was nice. It was a basic roast beef smell, not a lot of heavily seasoned stuff, just beef. Visually it looked like beef should although it's always kinda strange pouring a beef log out of a can, after breaking it up a little in the pot it looked tasty.

I decided to add the meat to a can of 'Simple Suppers Beef Stew Fixins'

And this is what it looked like after opening the cans...

I did take a quick taste of the beef by itself and it was good. I was expecting a flavorless chewy hunk of meat but it was actually tender and had a good flavor.

Here's a shot of the beef, broken up in the pan. The white stuff is the fat from the process of cooking the beef in the can.

And here's a pic with the stew fixings added in...

I would've preferred the stew fixings to have more carrots and other veggies, less potato, but overall it was fine for what I wanted to do. It was very tasty as well and beat the hell out of a can of Dinty Moore...

This final picture is of the bowl I ate so you can see the final product and serving size I had. There was enough left in the pot to feed my daughter the same size bowl and we are both feeling full right now.

Based on rough estimates and the size bowl I ate I would say it was around 400 calories all together. The taste was very good. I didn't add any seasonings to it, not even salt and pepper. It took less than ten minutes to heat.

Bottom line: I plan on adding more of Werling and Sons canned meats to my food preps. Right now I have 7 more cans on hand that I order to test out before buying large amounts. They are family owned and operated in the USA since 1886 and you can find their website here... http://www.werlingandsons.com/

A four pack of the canned meats like I bought is $18 and I think it will be a good addition to my preps.

Now y'all feel free to add reiviews to this thread.... it's nice to know what will actually taste good or bad before SHTF....
The only kind of meat I can really find online to order as far as canned beef goes, (meaning just beef, not in a gravy or quick-fix beef chow mein can, etc.), right now is Keystone Meats (just do a search) or type in the name with a dot com. They sell them in most Walmart stores, (sold only in stores), and do allow you to go to their (Keystone Meats) website and order, but shipping is about $20 a case, even if you're ordering multiple cases. The meat however, is how jfountain2 described it, to a T. Just Beef, and Sea Salt. Delicious cold, all by itself.

In the past I'd ordered from a company called Providence Pantry, (I think), who seemed to have vanished from the face of the Earth. (Not to be confused with ProviDENT Pantry).

Are there any canned beef meats like this to order online without paying a fortune in shipping?
The Following User Says Thank You to FamilyPrepper For This Useful Post:
Old 06-12-2015, 09:41 AM
Prepared Gourmet

Thanked 6,112 Times in 2,122 Posts

Is there a book coming out soon?
The Following User Says Thank You to Teslin For This Useful Post:
Old 06-12-2015, 02:01 PM
Survivor

Thanked 9,024 Times in 3,984 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by D_Marshall View Post
If you're on any kind of budget, though, you're better off putting your money into an All American pressure canner and canning whatever you can buy on sale yourself. (You need a canner, not a smaller pressure cooker--those heat up and cool down to fast for the calculated processing times in the canning manuals.)
While I have an AA pressure canner (a gift) the less expensive ones do a fine job. I read the Ball book and the one that came with my canner. What really made me feel comfortable was watching videos on pressure canning. Many of the ones I watched were using Prestos, and people on here swear by them, so I know they do a fine job.

I know exactly what is in my jars. When I open a jar, it's 100% eatable. I can also do it in the sizes that work for us.
The Following User Says Thank You to yelruh For This Useful Post:
Old 06-12-2015, 03:03 PM
Don't get me started

Thanked 30,401 Times in 10,653 Posts

Quote:
It's a really oddball source, but the little 12-ounce canned Celebrity hams at Walgreens are better than Dak to my mind.

They're actually on sale right now at 2/$5, which works out to $3.33/pound, with free shipping if you have an order of $25 or more (for everything you order, not just that ham).

Walgreen - Celebrity Boneless Ham with Natural Juices
That is a great buy! I just ordered a dozen cans for $30 with free shipping and they only charged 60 cents sales tax (something wrong with their tax table there).

Heck for me to drive to Walgeens would cost about $35 in gas with my old 1-ton truck from where I live. This is practically free food for me.
The Following User Says Thank You to MattB4 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-12-2015, 04:33 PM
Survivor

Thanked 9,024 Times in 3,984 Posts

Quote:
Absolutely, any pressure canner in good operating condition will do the job just fine. However, if you don't happen to own one now and are shopping for prep, the AA ones have the advantage of not having a seal ring that could die on you just when you need your canner most and can't replace it. That's the only reason I suggested going for AA if you could.
That, plus they are build like a tank and have the dial and the six industrial looking locking devices. No one can say food coming out of them isn't well processed. Just looking at it and you know it's a SERIOUS piece of equipment.
The Following User Says Thank You to yelruh For This Useful Post:
Old 06-12-2015, 05:26 PM

Walmarts true value canned meat.... chicken and the roast beef is really good, however the roast beef barely had anything inside the can and a lot of fat. Their meatball one is gross. I threw it out after eating half a meatball.
I have the pulled pork here but havent opened it yet. I didnt buy the fajita can yet.

I dont remember brand name but the canned chicken at dollar tree store tasted pretty bad. Wont buy it again.

Also i like walmarts true value spaghetti and meat ball and ravaoli better than named brands and half the price.

But chef b... however its spelled... their canned mac n cheese is good and shocked me tasting alright for a can food.

No i do not own walmart or have stock there.... but their bean n bacon, beef veg soup and chicken noodle is as good if not better than cambles, but the chicken and rice is all rice and homemade chicken noodle soup is gross.
The Following User Says Thank You to flo9 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-12-2015, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by POPPALUV View Post
Matt, this is just an aside, but Bumble Bee is a bad name i this house. I had several friends who worked at the plant "down da road" in the bayou. Leadership came in last year to see how they did so well and then after shut the plant and moved operations to Asia. Just sayin'.
Most canned tuna isnt tuna... its some other fish that usa in fact banned to eat and sell here since bad for us... but since america loves us all changed the rules and fda allows mislabeling. On cell phone or else id google what it is. Simple google for anyone else as well.
The Following User Says Thank You to flo9 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-17-2015, 01:25 PM
Don't get me started

Thanked 30,401 Times in 10,653 Posts

Got in the hams from Walgreens in the mail. Pretty quick shipping. Not the greatest packaging but luckily the cans are in good shape. The use by date is 8/13 2019 which is a good long time.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Hams.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	78.6 KB
ID:	100838  
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MattB4 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-25-2019, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by high peaks man View Post
Picked up a 1/2 doz of these awhile back and finally decided to experiment
with it.
cooked up about a lb. of egg noodles and and added two 12 ox. cans of roast beef and gravy. Heated and mixed it all together, called it beef stroganoff ,didn't tell the wife or kid it was canned beef and gravy.
Added a dollop of sour cream and wala !

Wife said the meat tasted good I didn't think it was too bad either. Kid didn't comment
Kinda pricey at $3 per 12 oz. can though. FWIW
another vote for Hormel ROAST BEEF & GRAVY. IT IS GREAT ON BAKED potatoes .
still eating some from 2013 here in 2019.....still great
The Following User Says Thank You to JOHN68 For This Useful Post: