You have $500 for food. What do you buy? - Page 8 - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Food and water Discussion on food and water storage, water purification and related topics.

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Survival Food for People with Food Allergies/Intolerance - MSG-free, etc. juneau Food and water 15 09-03-2017 10:44 AM
Food Packaged in Mylar but Stored in Non-Food Grade Buckets Safe? mizer67 Food and water 35 01-08-2017 08:56 PM
Do you read your food labels? -Healthy food or lousy labels? Food Fiction blackkitty General Discussion 26 02-23-2015 04:32 PM
America the Food Desert: How Peak Oil Will Make Food Less Nutritious AllOutdoor.com AllOutdoor.com 0 05-01-2014 09:30 PM
Food Poisoning Strikes Food Safety Meeting Alpha-Zombie General Discussion 9 04-19-2014 05:24 PM
Does anyone have experience with the Food Pantrie hanging food dehydrator? Allamakee County Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 20 05-06-2011 08:05 AM
Food and Agricultural Organization warns of impending food crisis rtlintner Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 0 01-08-2011 07:24 PM
Dirtyharriet's old food stores room - want to see what 3000+ cans of food looks like dirtyharriett Urban Survival 422 03-22-2010 07:29 AM
The Coming Food Shortage: Potash as Fuel for Food 411man Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 0 10-10-2009 08:46 PM
Food warehouse employees afraid of food rationing BakCompat Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 26 07-09-2008 11:00 PM

Old 08-24-2014, 11:17 AM

Advertise Here

We are set on the basics, so ... Can we spend the money at farms instead of stores?

This month I would go to the blueberry farm and pick 50lbs of blueberries ($1.5 a lb) and take them home to freeze, can and dehydrate.

I would do the same thing for cherries, and peaches, and other vegetables in season that month.

Next month same thing, different selection. Let's see. September would be pears, apples, and some of the nut crops.

October would be more apples, chestnuts, and winter squash.

Not a whole lot available during the winter months as far as fresh foods, so I would take that time to fortify the rice, beans, salt, sugar category.

Edited to add, we currently buy a lot of produce straight from the farm, we would just be buying in larger quantities than normal.

Last edited by PreparedWife; 08-24-2014 at 11:21 AM.. Reason: Additional comment
Quick reply to this message
Old 08-24-2014, 12:39 PM
Survivor

Thanked 9,024 Times in 3,984 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatriotM View Post
... soup on sale at major grocery stores might be 10 for $10 (or $1 each). You can buy the same size can of soup at ALDI's for 49 cents, which is obviously less than half. Before I started buying things by the case at ALDI's, I bought a single can of each thing I was interested in and tried them out. I couldn't taste or see any difference between ALDI's and the big box food! So, now that $500 that you were going to spend at the big box grocery store will buy $1,000 worth of groceries at ALDI's! You just doubled the amount of food you can buy!
Totally agree with all of your post even if it's old. Absolutely try things from Aldi's or anywhere before stocking up.

I've also been stretching my food dollars by shopping at discount groceries that have a lot of close dated or past dated food. I'm picking up stuff that we don't usually buy because it's too expensive normally. Heck I picked up some key lime juice that I only buy when I've promised to bring some somewhere. Now we can have it as a dessert because it was 50 cents a bottle!
Old 08-24-2014, 12:51 PM
Survivor

Thanked 9,024 Times in 3,984 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adapter View Post
Setting up with quality equipment and supplies is somewhat expensive. Once you have the pressure cooker and the jars, lids and rings, then you need only buy lids next time. A lot of cheap models are on the market, some aluminum from China but I wouldn't touch them. Many don't have a sealing gasket but rely on machined surfaces. That's not going to last but will warp, especially with aluminum.....
I agree with you about buying quality pressure canning equipment if you are going to do it. However further in your post you talk about the high cost of jars. I've gotten most of mine for free, I've only bought when they are at yard sales or very good sales.

I'm glad I live in an area where I can find normal prices at Amish stores that are cheaper than Walmart on sale.

On that note a lot of people have had problems with the ones from China that Walmart has stocked.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-24-2014, 01:52 PM

50% of the money: Canned meat, fish, poultry with expiration date as late as possible.
25% for rice and dried beans: Make complete protein together. Never heard either go bad.
(Alternately you can allocate even more to rice and beans, very good stuff)
25% goes to oils, salt, sugar, starch, honey, vinegar, canned pineapples.
Old 08-24-2014, 02:21 PM
To the surface!

Thanked 9,020 Times in 3,649 Posts

Instead of beans, which I don't particularly care for (at least not home cooked anyway), I prefer and stock up on lentils and split peas. Lentils don't get any drier (beans can get so dry they are hard and will not re-hydrate), and with split peas, rehydrate and cook faster. They are also cheap and easy to store. They have good nutritional value too.
The Following User Says Thank You to The Heretic For This Useful Post:
Old 08-24-2014, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Heretic View Post
Lentils don't get any drier
Beans getting irreversably dry was an issue I had thought about but I never saw very old beans. Looks like you have more experince with legumes. Lentils look like a good idea. Thanks.
To add to my own post, I think buying some Rum or Whisky for storing could be a good idea. As far as I know they just last.
Old 08-24-2014, 03:43 PM

Great idea for a thread. I've been interested reading the various responses.
Old 08-24-2014, 04:21 PM
To the surface!

Thanked 9,020 Times in 3,649 Posts

Yes, in my experience, beans get harder and drier over the years. If you rotate them out then you should be fine, but I just don't care for beans that much and my beans got too dry to be palatable. I also tried to sprout them and had almost zero success.
Old 08-24-2014, 10:57 PM
Amatuer beer analyst

Funny i just spent almost exactly $500 on food. I bought 1/4 of a cow around 180lbs of black angus beef. I pick it up tomorrow.
The Following User Says Thank You to SFHomestead For This Useful Post: