I had an MRE for dinner tonight...learned a few things. - Page 10 - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Food and water Discussion on food and water storage, water purification and related topics.

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Dinner at my house tonight wch Farming, Gardening & Homesteading 6 11-14-2016 05:43 PM
Had some Mountain House for dinner tonight. Bobbers Food and water 37 11-12-2016 04:15 PM
Tonight's dinner randkl Recipes 3 11-11-2016 02:26 AM
Nine item menu for dinner/supper... What's for dinner tonight? caridad Farming, Gardening & Homesteading 5 11-10-2016 12:38 PM
Tonight's dinner randkl Recipes 2 08-15-2012 06:46 AM
What's for dinner tonight? Cjw87 Recipes 36 07-17-2012 01:13 PM
Dinner tonight A Catholic Thinker Religious Discussion 68 07-09-2011 01:11 PM
What did you have for dinner/supper tonight? wchancey General Discussion 90 07-25-2009 02:51 AM

Old 11-28-2015, 08:32 PM

Advertise Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sloppy View Post
Ok - you guys have inspired me. I am in the process of heating up the entree on MRE Meal #7 from 2011. Beef brisket, biscuit, crackers, cheese spread, cocoa beverage, creamsicle cookies and two tootsie rolls.

No way could I eat all of this in one sitting unless I was backbacking all day. So far, the cheese spread was leaking, so I had to toss it, all the other containers were intact, but covered in oil from the cheese spread.

The cocoa tastes like cold hot chocolate. I think I would heat that up next time. The cookies are great! Taste like citrus flavored chips-ahoy. The biscuit is dense and bland and the crackers are much more dense than typical saltines. I saved the tootsie rolls for the kids.

So far, so good. The FRH is putting out a lot of heat and warming up the brisket. I'll report back shortly on how it tastes.
Well - that was a disappointment.

I knew it once I opened the pouch. It was just a gelatinous goop and smelled like dog food. Imagine taking a pack of beef jerky and beef fat and cooking them down together until the jerky crumbles. That would describe the look and taste. I wish it contained some hot sauce because it would have at least helped the flavor.

Oh well, it served it's purpose and I'm full, for sure. I hope the other entrees are better because that one would get old real quick!
Quick reply to this message
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Sloppy For This Useful Post:
Old 11-28-2015, 09:22 PM
Walking methane refinery

Thanked 152,761 Times in 44,507 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Member 
Total Awards: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sloppy View Post
I hope the other entrees are better because that one would get old real quick!
I hate to break it to you, but that was one of the better ones!
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to MikeK For This Useful Post:
Old 01-25-2016, 04:46 AM

I've eaten more MRE's than I'd care to remember. Point in fact, I wonder if my body will rot slower than the average when I'm gone....

Either way, the old tried and true Ranger Bowl never hurts! (Roll the sides of the bag down half way then dump everything in and mix, voila! Chicken Fiesta Bowl, Brisket Bowl, Misc. crap in a bowl, etc.). That's always been good enough for me, cleanup is simple and you can take practically the entire meal with you wherever you're called to.

That said, a few tips I always used in the field:

1) if you can boil water in a large enough container, use that to heat the foil MRE pack

2) beverage bags are a pain to use for beverages, but as said, they make outstanding: phone, map, notebook cases!

3) fill the heater over the line for a minute or so, then dump it out to the line. Stick the entree in the heater bag, fold the top over the side not touching heater then put it in the box it came in,open side down. That helps contain the most heat and keep it useable for the sides.

Golden Rule) carry hot sauce! Tobacco is alright in a pinch, but I've never preferred it. I'd always carry a glass bottle (duct taped up) of Dave's Carribbean or a small plastic snap squeeze bottle of Sriracha. It's good to have something you love the taste of to break up the monotony of a month of plastic wrapped preserved delicacies, or better yet, if you're getting supplies off the local populace or eating off the land, a familiar taste might make exotic fare a little more palatable!

P.S. Have Choc-Butter, Want JalapCheese!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 11MI For This Useful Post:
Old 01-25-2016, 05:06 AM

Default Flameless heater

In the past when I have had this problem it is usually because I added too much water, or because it didn't get thoroughly wet. Fine line to walk.
The Following User Says Thank You to Essayons For This Useful Post:
Old 01-25-2016, 05:10 AM
Certified Organic Grower

Thanked 11,039 Times in 3,398 Posts

Some of the MRE's I've liked best:
chili and macaroni - actually taste somewhat like chili and mac
spaghetti with meat sauce - kinda chef Boyardee-ish
pork and rice with BBQ sauce - an odd but tasty meaty-like substance

Some of the worst:
tuna with noodles - thin goo mixed with a smelly thicker goo
jambalaya - a multicolored wet clay-like texture melody that tastes like burned kale
cheese tortellini - this one flat out looks and tastes like vomit

All MRE's need some tobacco, Mrs. dash, and lot's of black pepper to make it more palatable.
A cold beer helps out too...
The Following User Says Thank You to LeftCoast Grower For This Useful Post:
Old 01-25-2016, 05:56 PM
Storyteller

Thanked 5,260 Times in 1,062 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldBlackWater View Post
Were you originally Air Force and then enlisted in the Army too?

I only ask because I don't think I have met anyone else like myself who did that? Although I have heard of it on many occasions, most people don't realize there are a lot of folks who switched branches for one reason or another.

When I tell people I get that third eye in my forehead look, like they think I am either lying or crazy.

Since my AFSC and MOS were very close in mission and training it was an easy transition.

Just never met another lying crazy dude before.

IIRC that Maine Prepper guy is another one, I think he went from Marines to Army?
I just recall some guys calling him out for being a poseur because they thought he was lying.
I was assigned to an Army post for 4 years in my USAF career. Unit provided Close Air Support, so - Army mission, we went and 'played' Army, lived on post etc. Humped ruck, went on FTX's and so on.

I loved to go camping. After a 4 year stint working with grunts - not so much. There is nothing on this earth that the Regular Army cannot suck the fun out of for a lifetime....

While on-post I met a guy that had a SAC patch on his shoulder, he did a tour in RVN, so, that was his 'combat' unit patch - pretty funny.

I know of several others. Marines to Army? That I find hard to believe...
The Following User Says Thank You to DKR For This Useful Post:
Old 01-25-2016, 06:00 PM
regular

Please tell me you had a typo, and meant to type Tabasco.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11MI View Post

Golden Rule) carry hot sauce! Tobacco is alright in a pinch, but I've never preferred it. I'd always carry a glass bottle (duct taped up) of Dave's Carribbean or a small plastic snap squeeze bottle of Sriracha. It's good to have something you love the taste of to break up the monotony of a month of plastic wrapped preserved delicacies, or better yet, if you're getting supplies off the local populace or eating off the land, a familiar taste might make exotic fare a little more palatable!

P.S. Have Choc-Butter, Want JalapCheese!
The Following User Says Thank You to JoeD1973 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-25-2016, 06:45 PM
Average Joe

Thanked 2,320 Times in 1,185 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamppapa View Post
you chose wisely
Try the vegetarian pasta meals.
Cheese tortelini is the bomb, man! We fight over that one in my unit.
The Following User Says Thank You to TDFbound For This Useful Post:
Old 01-25-2016, 06:47 PM
Average Joe

Thanked 2,320 Times in 1,185 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftCoast Grower View Post
Some of the MRE's I've liked best:
chili and macaroni - actually taste somewhat like chili and mac
spaghetti with meat sauce - kinda chef Boyardee-ish
pork and rice with BBQ sauce - an odd but tasty meaty-like substance

Some of the worst:
tuna with noodles - thin goo mixed with a smelly thicker goo
jambalaya - a multicolored wet clay-like texture melody that tastes like burned kale
cheese tortellini - this one flat out looks and tastes like vomit

All MRE's need some tobacco, Mrs. dash, and lot's of black pepper to make it more palatable.
A cold beer helps out too...
OMG how dare you bash on my cheese tortellini! SO GOOD!! Also, chili with beans... mmm...
The Following User Says Thank You to TDFbound For This Useful Post:
Old 01-25-2016, 06:59 PM
Master Rationalizer

Thanked 4,435 Times in 1,252 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianWorf View Post
That's weird about the heat packs. I have always gotten excellent heat out of them, usually more than enough. What was the ambient temp and the temp of the water you used in it?

I have found that if you eat a steady diet of MREs for more than a few days, you will find Meals Refusing to Exit is what MRE actually stands for. Laxatives or fruit come in handy. Guess the military didn't want you to have to use up all that "toilet paper"!!
Yup, you guessed it! By the time you get it to exit you should have enough wipe saved up that you don't have to do it "Ranger Style". Not that it matters by then since it drops out like a cinderblock with tapered ends.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CORangefinder For This Useful Post: