Top 12 items from supermarket - Page 9 - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Food and water Discussion on food and water storage, water purification and related topics.

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Survival Foods from Supermarket dman Food and water 82 04-15-2014 10:11 PM
Supermarket shopping for preparedness items tree369 Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 1 12-14-2012 01:23 PM
Empty supermarket shelves....? ttopbandit Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 53 02-16-2012 11:20 PM
Planting supermarket beans? BuellerBueller Farming, Gardening & Homesteading 3 08-31-2011 09:33 PM
supermarket gas points :) floss187 General Discussion 3 08-25-2011 12:20 AM
How to identify GM foods in the Supermarket onemoreday Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 9 08-20-2011 02:02 AM
Superbugs in the Supermarket: Antibiotics Becoming Ineffective blackkitty General Discussion 2 07-05-2011 11:40 PM
Supermarket Sounds Creek Walker Jokes, Humor & Music 0 03-27-2009 08:27 PM
Scorpion in UK supermarket bananas (AGAIN) arrexian General Discussion 2 09-30-2008 11:10 AM
A guy goes to the supermarket... Te Hopo Jokes, Humor & Music 1 09-07-2008 09:32 PM

Old 11-28-2011, 05:32 AM

Advertise Here

honey is still good just put in hot water and sugar crystaks will dissolve and be just like new
Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to rgr For This Useful Post:
Old 11-30-2011, 10:21 PM
Resident Cynical Stickman

Don't forget Nesquik, chips ahoy cookies, and Pepsi on the list...........
Old 12-01-2011, 04:14 PM

A lot of the things on lists are items you can make for yourself.

For example, beer.

You can make it fom scratch, grow the grains and hops and make the beer later in the summer/fall. The term "lager" beer is a German word for a beer made in the winter, stored in kegs (lagered) and drunk later in the year.

If you do it from scratch you need the grains and hops and yeast. Yeast can be made naturally with sugar water and raisins. Some Eastern europeans make it with potatos water and sugar.

You will need about 2 pounds of sugar for the beer for every 5 gallons you make. You could use honey as a substitute, but raw sugar is an item that everyone should stock up on. Typically people use Dextrose or corn sugar, but really, any sugar will do. It might affect the taste slightly and extend or shorten your brewing time (average is about a week). Fancy sugars like maple syrup can even flavour your beer, which can be a good thing.

As for the rest, all you need is a large spaghetti/dutch oven type pot, and a food safe pail or large botlle/storage container with a lid in which to ferment the beer.

Once fermented, you will need a place to bottle the beer or keg it. You can clean and reuse plastic pop bottles. That's what I do as they can handle carbonation pressure and are cheap and reuseable.

Also you will need a tablespoon of sugar or honey for every large 2 liter pop bottle as "priming sugar", the sugar that makes beer carbonated.

Here's a video set of a guy who makes easy beer using canned malt, which does away with the need for steeping grains and hops. These cans or "kits" cost $10 to $20 for average beer, but some specialty ones are considerably more. I've made a lot of these, they are easy and reliable and tasty. I usually make a kit like this in 2 weeks, 1 week to brew (ferment) and 1 week in the bottle. Typically it costs under $20 to make 5 gallons of beer.

There are also videos on winemaking that are very helpful.
The Following User Says Thank You to Strawbale For This Useful Post:
Old 12-01-2011, 10:54 PM
This is a great survival forum

Thanked 1,406 Times in 614 Posts

Beer making supplies rates high up on the coolness factor for my preps.

I buy in bulk and can make a 5 gal batch for about $5-6.

I buy the dry malt extract for $200 for 55 lbs. The corn sugar for $45 for 50 lbs. Hops $1/oz for very strong stuff.

Store what you drink and drink what you store.

Oh yea, my milk preps are pretty cool, too.
Old 12-02-2011, 05:41 AM

Sarcasm or not, beer is high in calories and contains many vitamins as well.
It is not survival food per se, but it is good for you in moderation:

http://www.aim-digest.com/gateway/pa...s/goodnews.htm

Calorific value ca 110 to 120 kcal per (25 cl) glass
Water >90%
Alcohol ca 5� (ethanol)
Vitamins B1, B2, B3 and B6
Proteins and Amino acids very few
Fats none
Carbohydrates ca 2% monosaccharides and disaccharides
ca 1% polysaccharides
Trace elements, Minerals lot of potassium, very little sodium

Read more: Does beer have any good nutritional value? | Answerbag http://www.answerbag.com/q_view/21406#ixzz1fNAeCZ5q

It's also good for barter and trade.
Old 12-02-2011, 06:25 AM
Hunter

Thanked 1,399 Times in 554 Posts

Honey does store for ever. When it crystallizes all you have to do is set the jar in a pot with a few inches of water on the stove and heat up until the honey melts again and it's good to go. HOney is a great antimicrobial it is also a great natural sweetener and can be used on wounds to help heal. If you buy local it can help build tolerance to allergens. Honey can be used in canning fruits.
Old 03-29-2013, 11:58 PM
Thinker

Thanked 1,384 Times in 626 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bltjr1951 View Post
What's with the freezer and frozen milk, etc??
When SHTF, there won't be any power for the freezer or the fridge.
Yes, but for the first week or so, at least you'll have milk for your cereal and cream for your coffee. The frozen milk jugs will also act as block ice to keep the other stuff in your freezer cool, especially if you limit how often you open it.

I don't care for the powdered stuff, but it is perfectly good for making yogurt if you are up to it. I also have some canned milk and Yoohoo's in my pantry, not alot, but then again how much milk do you really need? I use it for cooking and occasionally on cereal, but aside from that, I get most of my dairy from cheese and yogurt. Which, btw, both freeze fairly gracefully as well.

I think it's funny how most people's list of 12 items looks more like 20.
If I had to pick just 12 things from the grocery store, I would get...
1. peanut butter
2. jam
3. coffee
4. hot cereal (oatmeal/cornmeal/grits)
5. sugar
6. pasta
7. canned meat
8. canned veggies
9. mashed potatoes
10. soup
11. candy (mostly chocolate)
12. olive oil

I buy rice, wheat berries, grains, and dried beans in bulk, and I buy coconut oil online since it's cheaper there. I don't shop Costco because I find their bigger packages don't always equate to savings - I save more money by buying my groceries on sale with coupons, and shopping the Dollar Store and Big Lots.

BTW, there is one store called ALCO where I shop that has a $1 food section, which is GREAT for stocking goods. I usually can't get out of there without at least 50 items. My favorite items in the dollar aisle include: spices, generic Ritz-style crackers which are packaged in mylar, pouches of pink salmon, jam, corned beef hash, canned chicken, canned ham, sardines, green chile enchilada sauce, salad dressing, smoked oysters, instant oatmeal, chili, black beans, refried beans, pie filling, pasta and boxes of mashed potatoes. They also sell corn muffin mix for 2 for $1, and that's a nice thing to have on hand as well.
Old 08-24-2014, 02:14 AM
Prepared

bump to move to new Food & Water forum...
Old 09-12-2014, 02:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeK View Post
Beer, unfortunately, doesn't have a long shelf life. The higher the alcohol content, the longer the storage life. On the positive side, it's quite easy to make.
You are correct in that beer shelf life does depend on alcohol content but I disagree regarding beer having a poor shelf life. Cheap beer has horrible shelf life but good beer, meaning not rice beer or light beer, has a very long shelf life.

In particular beers with alcohol content above 6.7%-ish keep very well. Imperial Stouts, Imperial IPAs, Belgian triples and quads, (and some select ales) all have alcohol content above 8%. I keep "select" hard to find beers on my shelf for extended periods of time and regularly drink them 2-3 years after bottling. As long as they are kept in a relatively cool place out of light they store very well and even tend to age to a smoother flavor.

HTH,
Sub
Old 09-12-2014, 05:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bltjr1951 View Post
Canned meat? Which kind?? Spam, deviled ham, beef from Argentina, chicken bits, turkey, ham and Treet??
Tuna pouches okay??

I saw some sausage in a can at the dollar store:
Banner brand, made in USA, anyone tried it??
I bought some German milk sausages from "World Market" here in Asheville, The exp date was 2015, and tasted really good with spicy mustard and sauerkraut!