Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Older 40 x 400 chicken house on possible homestead property Bellyman Farming, Gardening & Homesteading 12 06-10-2017 11:21 AM
Property tips Red Dirt Walker Farming, Gardening & Homesteading 8 05-09-2017 08:18 PM
Soros and Dems trying to lower voting age to 16 Justme11 Political News and Discussion 109 03-29-2017 07:10 AM
What to do with people on your land? JoeKan Farming, Gardening & Homesteading 72 01-29-2017 08:29 PM
This Thanksgiving let's think of the Pilgrims and private property rights RKW General Discussion 2 11-23-2016 02:33 PM

Old 06-21-2019, 11:04 AM
Semper Fi

Thanked 10,015 Times in 3,632 Posts

Advertise Here

The "part of our defense" comment was a compliment. Having you mountain dwellers block the passes to keep the zombie horde out of your area peripherally benefits those of us on the far side as it reroutes them away from our area as well.

I was aware of the Blue vote in Apache County and it did give me pause but since it is pretty much due to just the Rez it isn't too bad. The rest of our criteria were met by the property and the State itself is Red (though admittedly in danger of purple). As to the economically depressed part I would venture that has more to do with the lions share of the population (the Rez) not paying anything in the way of taxes into the county coffers then just the fact they vote blue.

That is the biggest impetus behind the push to form a new county out of the taxpaying parts of Apache and Navajo counties that excludes the Rez.

This is a big part of my security system....

Since neighbor has started parking his patrol car at home crime has basically gone to zero in our area. St John's cops tell him the miscreants are actively avoiding our area now.

As for LE/EMT/Fire I expect no timely response from any of them. Apache County is the 6th largest in the US and there simply aren't enough Sheriffs to do much beyond take reports. IIRC most of the Deputies are further concentrated on the Rez as that is where most of the county's population is located anyways.

Even in San Bernardino County back in CA (largest in US) unless there was something directly linking a suspect to a crime, you just got a report taken as well. When asked by a group of residents out in my St John's AO about what to do concerning trespassers, a Sheriff's Deputy responded..."you got guns right?".

According to my cop neighbor the area from Concho to Show Low is RIFE with theft. City Data showed just about every property had been hit at one time or another. For St John's what we have is pretty much confined to city limits and the west side of town. Hard to be sneaky in my area when there is only a single access road and it doesn't go anywhere so they can't say they were just passing through.
Quick reply to this message
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Steve_In_29 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-21-2019, 05:55 PM
Target Shooter

In countries I have worked where there was political (= corruption), economic (= effects of corruption), or post-natural-disaster partial-collapse - (occasionally all three) - the most dangerous places were very big cities, or comparatively-rich enclaves in the midst of rural poverty.

I may be entirely mistaken (which could be a fatal miscalculation in actual post-SHTF WROL) but it seems to me that the crims who'd pillage would move on and out to places where pillaging would be more profitable to them; e.g. Pinetop, Prescott etc. That, the lack of proximity to a highway, and the price of land are reasons (amongst others) I abandoned my first idea / location at Camp Verde.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Madoc For This Useful Post:
Old 06-22-2019, 08:56 AM
Semper Fi

Local dirtbags are usually well known and in a world WROL could be easily removed from the population if need be.
Old 06-23-2019, 02:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madoc View Post
I may be entirely mistaken (which could be a fatal miscalculation in actual post-SHTF WROL) but it seems to me that the crims who'd pillage would move on and out to places where pillaging would be more profitable to them; e.g. Pinetop, Prescott etc. That, the lack of proximity to a highway, and the price of land are reasons (amongst others) I abandoned my first idea / location at Camp Verde.
In a WROL situation, I think you are correct. But crime after WROL and crime before it are probably two different beasts entirely.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to eleven11 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-04-2019, 04:20 PM
Semper Fi

We did our final move over the weekend finishing up on Tuesday and have nothing left in CA now. It was an ordeal involving 5 hrs of sleep in 60 hrs, driving 1500 miles and blowing 3 tires on the trailer (I think I was slightly overloaded) but it's over.
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Steve_In_29 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-04-2019, 08:18 PM

Greetings, neighbors.

Several weeks ago we had a meeting with the Navajo County Sheriff's Office over serial thieves and druggies. Did any of you go? I was the one sitting near the door who suggested we get together on a web site so we could exchange information on suspicious activity.

Basically, the high points of the meeting were that you can't use deadly force against, or assault someone for, taking your property. And even if you are justified in defending your life or that of someone else, you can still be sued civilly by the thief. On man has had the same person steal from him over and over because he knows the police won't do anything, and his victim is not allowed to do anything to him to stop him. The sheriff's office said to keep good records and photos of your property with serial numbers, etc., and keep in in multiple places--not on your computer because they might take that, too.

It seems that Apache county is worse than Navajo county, and since the jail tax didn't get passed, Navajo County will be losing officer positions. The sheriff's office is already spread extremely thin, and they welcome people to act as their eyes and ears, if anyone's interested in that.

Had I known that the crime out here is this insane, I would have gone elsewhere, even if the cost were higher. I've been robbed numerous times, and have had trouble with a stalker who doesn't want to accept the fact that I now own the property.

Congratulations, Steve. Best of luck to you in keeping the criminals off your property. I really do wish you well in that.

Edited to add: People from both Navajo and Apache counties were there. I live walking distance from the county line.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to PreppingGal For This Useful Post:
Old 07-05-2019, 09:39 AM
Semper Fi

Remember the three esses.
Old 07-05-2019, 09:00 PM
Semper Fi

Quote:
Originally Posted by PreppingGal View Post
Greetings, neighbors.

Several weeks ago we had a meeting with the Navajo County Sheriff's Office over serial thieves and druggies. Did any of you go? I was the one sitting near the door who suggested we get together on a web site so we could exchange information on suspicious activity.

Basically, the high points of the meeting were that you can't use deadly force against, or assault someone for, taking your property. And even if you are justified in defending your life or that of someone else, you can still be sued civilly by the thief. On man has had the same person steal from him over and over because he knows the police won't do anything, and his victim is not allowed to do anything to him to stop him. The sheriff's office said to keep good records and photos of your property with serial numbers, etc., and keep in in multiple places--not on your computer because they might take that, too.

It seems that Apache county is worse than Navajo county, and since the jail tax didn't get passed, Navajo County will be losing officer positions. The sheriff's office is already spread extremely thin, and they welcome people to act as their eyes and ears, if anyone's interested in that.

Had I known that the crime out here is this insane, I would have gone elsewhere, even if the cost were higher. I've been robbed numerous times, and have had trouble with a stalker who doesn't want to accept the fact that I now own the property.

Congratulations, Steve. Best of luck to you in keeping the criminals off your property. I really do wish you well in that.

Edited to add: People from both Navajo and Apache counties were there. I live walking distance from the county line.
As in all things real estate it's about location, location, location. I think that besides the higher then average crime issue you are also plagued by the residual of the type of former owner and his activities.

A firm message delivered while holding a shotgun (that perhaps accidentally discharges) might help. Women are notoriously bad with firearms after all.

Also, with no reasonable expectation of timely law enforcement response, it can quickly become a, "I was in fear for my life" moment to have an aggressive stalker show up and threaten you.

Are you living on property full time now?

As to my location the property has been basically uninhabited (though fully furnished) for most of its 16 years and afaik has only been broken into once, a long time ago. We have owned it for over two years and at best were only there 2 weeks a month during that time until our final move and nothing was touched.

If you are considering relocating, there are two properties on the market near me. One is bare land but the other has a house on it. I can get more info if you or anyone else wants it.

On Edit: The odds of a thief winning a civil suit after being shot while robbing a single female are pretty much zero.

Last edited by Steve_In_29; 07-07-2019 at 01:08 PM.. Reason: Spelling
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Steve_In_29 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-07-2019, 08:35 AM

I'm here full time, and more than one person has mentioned that this used to be a drug dealer's house. I threw out some no longer usable stuff that would suggest that's true as soon as I bought the place, so you're undoubtedly correct on dealing with the residual.

A neighbor and I plan to get together this afternoon to discuss the latest goings-on. I really like this place and it's paid for so I'd hate to move, although the thought has crossed my mind more than a few times because of the crime.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to PreppingGal For This Useful Post:
Old 07-07-2019, 01:38 PM
Semper Fi

Having at least one neighbor you can count on helps as you can both keep an eye on each others houses. Take note of vehicles that don't belong in area and if they linger head out with shotgun to have a chat.

Also set up cameras (both obvious and hidden) to record any bad guys in the act. Then it moves beyond a he said, she said thing when you contact the Sheriff as there is hard evidence.
Old 07-10-2019, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PreppingGal View Post
Greetings, neighbors.

Sorry to hear of your troubles, lots of meth heads out there. I live probably not far from you on the county line, but it is all quiet in my neighborhood. Sometimes a slightly different location means a big difference in traffic. I am gearing up with the game/IP camera's, alarms and other options though. Trouble is certainly in the wind.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to eleven11 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-10-2019, 10:04 PM
Fix Bayonets!

Thanked 7,483 Times in 3,311 Posts

Subbing, as I might be in AZ soon.

Sorry for your issues preppingGal.

Sent from my Note 8 using Tapatalk
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ForgedInTheFlame For This Useful Post:
Old 07-10-2019, 10:59 PM
Survivor

Thanked 23,637 Times in 5,849 Posts

PG, this is why I like Yavapai County.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AZ_HighCountry For This Useful Post:
Old 07-11-2019, 11:38 AM
Semper Fi

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ_HighCountry View Post
PG, this is why I like Yavapai County.
That county is growing in population as people move up from Phoenix and down from Flagstaff. How are property costs and taxes doing?

With the influx of city dwellers you might find the red/blue line shifting a bit in a few years.
The Following User Says Thank You to Steve_In_29 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-11-2019, 09:35 PM
Survivor

Thanked 23,637 Times in 5,849 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_In_29 View Post
That county is growing in population as people move up from Phoenix and down from Flagstaff. How are property costs and taxes doing?

With the influx of city dwellers you might find the red/blue line shifting a bit in a few years.
Those are good questions. Will try to address:

1. housing costs - clearly appreciating at a brisk pace; almost brisk enough that I'm concerned about a bubble. Lots of new starts, name your price range. In our development, $180-190 / sq.ft. is not uncommon. Our own house, which sits on a premium corner lot, with upgrades, could very easily get $280K. We bought it under a short sale for less than 1/2 that in 2010.

2. taxes - not too bad.....will dig out the last statement from the taxes. I'd like to say about $2000 / year at the moment. Will confirm and come back.

3. Influx of city dwellers - refugees from PHX and FLG areas not bothering me. The concern is the flood of Californians, many bringing their liberal politics with them, followed closely by people from Oregon and Washington. And yes, while Yavapai County is still hard core Republican, a number of us have discussed that very thing; the flood of leftist ideas.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to AZ_HighCountry For This Useful Post:
Old 07-12-2019, 12:18 AM
Semper Fi

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ_HighCountry View Post
Those are good questions. Will try to address:

1. housing costs - clearly appreciating at a brisk pace; almost brisk enough that I'm concerned about a bubble. Lots of new starts, name your price range. In our development, $180-190 / sq.ft. is not uncommon. Our own house, which sits on a premium corner lot, with upgrades, could very easily get $280K. We bought it under a short sale for less than 1/2 that in 2010.

2. taxes - not too bad.....will dig out the last statement from the taxes. I'd like to say about $2000 / year at the moment.
Will confirm and come back.
That will obviously rise (perhaps dramatically) as property values continue to increase.

Quote:
3. Influx of city dwellers - refugees from PHX and FLG areas not bothering me. The concern is the flood of Californians, many bringing their liberal politics with them, followed closely by people from Oregon and Washington. And yes, while Yavapai County is still hard core Republican, a number of us have discussed that very thing; the flood of leftist ideas.
Don't be like many Texans and remain blind to the dangers your own homegrown liberals pose. They have been breeding im AZ since the first influx arrived back in the 1950/60s from Chicago/New York.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Steve_In_29 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-19-2019, 02:03 PM
read more, post less

Hello Steve and welcome! You hadn't yet made the final move when I first came across this thread. I've been lurking in this thread thinking of good replies to make, but eleven11 definitely hit all the points and then some on the last page. Great post eleven11.

So, as I mentioned in another thread here, eleven11 confirms what I said about this area. I first moved here in 1996, left in 2004, returned in 2016 and it has changed quite a bit, but again eleven11 has everything I wanted to say pretty much covered so I'll just do this:

Howdy neighbors of the like minded type from where I am.

p.s. I think the biggest shock was hearing the Ashton's Salon ads on the radio. Don't hear them much anymore, but a year or so ago, it would just make me . . . .
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to teddyearp For This Useful Post:
Old 07-20-2019, 10:22 AM
Semper Fi

Prepping Gal I don't remember if it was mentioned but get yourself a protection trained dog (or two)...large ones.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Steve_In_29 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-23-2019, 02:53 AM
VIP Member

Thanked 1,075 Times in 612 Posts

I grew up in Navajo County. I know it’s dubbed the Meth Capital of the US but I had never been robbed. 50 acres of BOL in Concho (Apache County) left unattended with no problems. 160 acres in Snowflake; occasional trespasser even with a fenced and gated premises. I’ve never heard of so much crime in the areas. I don’t make it back enough but I have the occasional check-in by volunteers.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ellen For This Useful Post:
Old 07-23-2019, 03:09 AM
SoJer

Thanked 2,723 Times in 902 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_In_29 View Post
...there are two properties on the market near me. One is bare land but the other has a house ...I can get more info...
..Just had a (probable..) gang-related (?) shooting - 4 doors from us - Yesterday (Sun) in broad daylight, 5 shots, no brass found (revolver, methinks.. guessing maybe a .38 by the lightweight-sound..) only One of-which connected with its' intended victim, and so that means the Other 4 rounds went... ???? And where we are is Not a "high-crime area", by any means, so, yah.... I'll 'take a flyer', Sir... PM'd be great, Thx..

jd
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SoJ_51 For This Useful Post: