Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
getting to and from remote property without a road legal vehicle wf80h Alaska 53 06-14-2016 11:51 AM
Property tax rates montana vs Texas Jamesconn Financial Forum 23 11-20-2013 03:04 PM
What states have cheapest property tax and UrbanWolf General Discussion 23 02-22-2013 11:05 AM
North Dakota to vote on abolishing property tax today.. hooked Political News and Discussion 19 06-16-2012 09:36 AM
Our property tax bill went up as our home's value dropped to 1/2 Sped Man Financial Forum 47 06-02-2012 01:03 AM
rental property = tax shelter 97guns Financial Forum 21 03-02-2012 09:24 AM
Appeal Your Property Tax? WSierra Financial Forum 18 12-10-2010 02:31 PM
Anyone elses Property Tax going crazy? OhioMan General Discussion 19 02-09-2010 12:18 AM
Working Group: Property seizure as a result of tax default Sapper6 Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 45 12-07-2009 11:02 PM
Republic of Texas New Military Veteran's Property Tax Law mastersergeant General Discussion 1 08-13-2009 02:08 PM

Old 07-04-2016, 11:11 AM
Prepared

Default Vehicle Property Tax ?

Advertise Here

I'm thinking of moving to GA. Is there a vehicle property tax? I keep hearing something about a "birthday tax".
Also are there car inspections or is that just for Atlanta Metro area?
Quick reply to this message
Old 07-04-2016, 03:55 PM
Prepaired

Thanked 1,399 Times in 570 Posts

Our auto/tag system has recently changed and as a newcomer you will fall under the new system. When you register your vehicles you will owe a tax of approximately 7% of the current value. You can pay 1/2 at registration and 1/2 12 months later. After that your tag renewal is due on your birthday and is $20 with no additional taxes. If you live in one of the 13 Metro Atlanta counties you have to get an emmisions test before tag renewal.

Here's a link that explains it. http://www.cobbtax.org/vehicles/adValorem
The Following User Says Thank You to Slclarry For This Useful Post:
Old 07-04-2016, 04:32 PM
Trump is Treasonous

Thanked 18,870 Times in 5,004 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by atomicsmurf View Post
I'm thinking of moving to GA. Is there a vehicle property tax? I keep hearing something about a "birthday tax".
Also are there car inspections or is that just for Atlanta Metro area?
I don't know what state you're currently in but it sounds like you're gonna be taxed twice because you paid sales tax when you bought your vehicle and depending on the type of vehicle you bought you likely paid some sort of federal tax as well, now GA wants to tax you again on the same vehicle you already paid taxes on.

Also sounds like you'll be paying out money on the whole vehicle inspection scam too if you're gonna move to one of the 13 counties that have the scam set-up...if you're vehicle doesn't pass the scam you get to fork more money out of your pocket to have it "fixed"...

Better think about moving to another state unless you like being robbed by government under the threat of not getting a tag...

If you're located in FL you know we don't have that BS, you pay once a year to renew your tag and registration and the cost depends on the weight of your vehicle but its minimal...
The Following User Says Thank You to Kalashnikov47 For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-05-2016, 08:23 AM
Prepared

Yep. I'm in FL right now, and the vehicle property tax thing is killing me in all these other states I have looked at. I *thought* GA had done away with it.

So from what I gather, I would have to pay the TAVT, once and that's it until I buy a another car. But what about the Annual Ad Valorem tax? And then there's this: "Vehicles may be registered under one of the tax systems, but not both." Which leads me to believe I would not have to pay the Annual Ad Valorem tax because my vehicle would be under the new system, the TAVT "one-time pay" ??

I would not be moving to the Atlanta metro area. I'm looking at North GA. I just wanted a shorter summer and colder winter, but dang all these other states are taxing you to death on the cars you own.
Old 07-05-2016, 08:51 AM
Trump is Treasonous

Quote:
Yep. I'm in FL right now, and the vehicle property tax thing is killing me in all these other states I have looked at. I *thought* GA had done away with it.

So from what I gather, I would have to pay the TAVT, once and that's it until I buy a another car. But what about the Annual Ad Valorem tax? And then there's this: "Vehicles may be registered under one of the tax systems, but not both." Which leads me to believe I would not have to pay the Annual Ad Valorem tax because my vehicle would be under the new system, the TAVT "one-time pay" ??

I would not be moving to the Atlanta metro area. I'm looking at North GA. I just wanted a shorter summer and colder winter, but dang all these other states are taxing you to death on the cars you own.
I'm really surprised the double taxation scheme in GA isn't being challenged in court...

We are thinking about moving to TN but I haven't researched their vehicle fees yet but if they are gonna outright steal my money then we won't be moving there...Also have to research their gun laws and some other other things before we decide to move there...I've already told the wife we're not moving to a state that robs your paycheck with state income taxes either so that limits us to 6 states as FL would make 7...
The Following User Says Thank You to Kalashnikov47 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-05-2016, 10:17 AM
Prepared

Let me know what you find out in the other states. Feel free to PM.

I'm looking at states without safety, emissions or VIN inspections:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vehicl..._United_States

States with no vehicle property tax.

States with no individual income tax.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/State_...ual_income_tax

Pro-gun laws.

Still researching... I don't know if it's worth moving just for cooler weather if these other states are going to tax me to death.
The Following User Says Thank You to atomicsmurf For This Useful Post:
Old 07-05-2016, 11:48 AM
Trump is Treasonous

Quote:
Let me know what you find out in the other states. Feel free to PM.

I'm looking at states without safety, emissions or VIN inspections:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vehicl..._United_States

States with no vehicle property tax.

States with no individual income tax.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/State_...ual_income_tax

Pro-gun laws.

Still researching... I don't know if it's worth moving just for cooler weather if these other states are going to tax me to death.
From what I've research so far TN has the emissions scheme in the 6 counties below...

Hamilton
Davidson
Rutherford
Sumner
Williamson
Wilson

http://www.dmv.org/tn-tennessee/smog...ssee-Residents

Looks like each county in TN charges a different amount to register your vehicle...

http://www.dmv.org/tn-tennessee/car-registration.php

They don't appear to have a property tax on vehicles, but I'll have to call the TN DMV to find out for sure...
Old 07-07-2016, 02:09 PM
Prepared

So one-time (per-purchase) Title tax. (I can live with that)
No vehicle emissions, safety inspection (outside of Atlanta metro areas)
Easy-peasy eye exam for driver's license
Castle Law.

My only other questions are, do I have to file a state income tax if I don't earn anything? Or does my father who ,receives SS and disability benefits?
"For earnings between $0.00 and $750, you'll pay 1.00%"
Old 07-08-2016, 12:07 PM

it is not a double taxation scheme in GA. The state transitioned to a one time fee. If you moved from another state to GA prior to the latest change, you would pay the annual ad valorum by your birthday each year. I believe you can still choose this option if you wish (not 100% certain though). It can be a hefty amount depending on the car and it is based on what the state says the value is, not what you think it might be. Good or bad, the state did this to load the coffers from person to person car sales where no sales tax was being captured. When you buy a vehicle in the state it comes out a better deal because all you pay is the 7% (that includes the sales tax and the ad valorem tax).
Old 07-08-2016, 12:10 PM

just an add on to previous comment. For someone coming in from out of state, I do understand how it would be viewed as double taxation. But it is not because the taxes are from two different states andcould never be challenged because the state of GA didn't collect the sales tax on the first purchase
Old 07-08-2016, 12:14 PM
Hunter

Thanked 3,214 Times in 942 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slclarry View Post
Our auto/tag system has recently changed and as a newcomer you will fall under the new system. When you register your vehicles you will owe a tax of approximately 7% of the current value. You can pay 1/2 at registration and 1/2 12 months later. After that your tag renewal is due on your birthday and is $20 with no additional taxes. If you live in one of the 13 Metro Atlanta counties you have to get an emmisions test before tag renewal.

Here's a link that explains it. http://www.cobbtax.org/vehicles/adValorem
Well that'll dampen new car sales for sure.
7% of 40k is $2800 bucks.
Old 07-08-2016, 12:19 PM

we have always paid sales tax on any car purchased from a dealer. 7% is the average in the state. It is based on the county of your residence and not the county you purchase in. I believe Fulton Co (city of Atlanta) is 8%. No impact on new car sales. I believe the change has exceeded the states income projection quite handily.
Old 07-08-2016, 02:19 PM
Trump is Treasonous

Quote:
Originally Posted by slbaker232 View Post
just an add on to previous comment. For someone coming in from out of state, I do understand how it would be viewed as double taxation. But it is not because the taxes are from two different states andcould never be challenged because the state of GA didn't collect the sales tax on the first purchase
It IS double taxation, why should someone have to pay tax on something they already paid tax on? The vehicle isn't being purchased, it was already purchased...

FL tried the same thing back in the 1990's they were making people that moved from other states pay a $295 "impact" fee and the FL SC found it to be unconstitutional and about 633,000 drivers were eligible for $187 million in refunds on fees paid for out-of-state vehicles registered in Florida from July 1991 to July 1995

The state was also being sued to pay 12% interest on the money as well...

http://articles.sun-sentinel.com/199...ct-fee-refunds