Mom said "I'll just come to your house" - Page 8 - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Disaster Preparedness General Discussion Anything Disaster Preparedness or Survival Related

Advertise Here

Old 11-14-2019, 07:01 PM
Prepared

Advertise Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by merlinfire View Post
I have questioned this myself. Am I showing a lack of faith in God by preparing?

But over time I've come to a conclusion.

God works in many ways, but the bible tells us not to tempt God. We do our best with our abilities, means, and knowledge - and trust in God to guide our footsteps. We don't expect or demand God reach down with a ray of light from the cloud and shower us with manna from heaven. I DO trust in God to guide me and to help me succeed where my knowledge and abilities fail. But I'm not going to be lazy and decides I'm going to demand God do all the work...God saved Noah and his family, but only because Noah built the boat. COULD God have saved Noah and his family by having them fly on clouds for 40 days? Probably. But he chose the mundane nature of wood. And most of the time that's how God works, through mundane things and mundane people and mundane circumstances. So we ought not to discount that.
Preppers aren't doubting God any more than our grandmothers did by canning and storing up food for the winter. It's doing our best to deal with life as it is, and having faith that God will guide us in the process.
Quick reply to this message
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to PreppingGal For This Useful Post:
Old 11-14-2019, 07:30 PM
Honyock

I grew up with an old saying: "God helps those who help themselves".

In other words, if you work hard and do the right thing you will succeed.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Gordon Randal For This Useful Post:
Old 11-15-2019, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad, 2nd View Post
It's your mother dude.

She fed you many times.

That said: I have several cases of mountain house #10 cans under the stairs at my mothers house.
Mother or not, he has his family to take care of and sorry, my kids always came before my parents. That's just the way it goes. Parents are supposed to watch out for their kids not the other way around. The kids had no say in being born. I told my wife that if her mom does not pay for some of our stores and she comes to our house, we are not feeding her. She also does not keep much food in the house. she usually eats out with her friends. Prepping, even for hurricanes, takes time and effort. There is a saying: Failure to prepare on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part. Contribute or you can't come in.
Old 11-16-2019, 04:56 AM
Prepared

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyramid62 View Post
Mother or not, he has his family to take care of and sorry, my kids always came before my parents. That's just the way it goes. Parents are supposed to watch out for their kids not the other way around. The kids had no say in being born. I told my wife that if her mom does not pay for some of our stores and she comes to our house, we are not feeding her. She also does not keep much food in the house. she usually eats out with her friends. Prepping, even for hurricanes, takes time and effort. There is a saying: Failure to prepare on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part. Contribute or you can't come in.
I completely get what you are saying. I really do! But if my mom was still alive there is no way I wouldn’t do what she did for me while young. Try to keep me alive and well.
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Hammerstrike For This Useful Post:
Old 11-17-2019, 01:23 PM
Survivor

Thanked 23,497 Times in 8,225 Posts

That's the nice thing about having terrible parents and in laws. I have absolutely zero guilt. I even sent my Dad a whole kit, ALONG WITH A LIST of things to buy. They gave away the kit. What am I supposed to do, send another to be discarded?

As I said it appears they are going to my stepsister's house if things get difficult so I will send my stepsister some things.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PurpleKitty For This Useful Post:
Old 11-17-2019, 01:47 PM
BASS

Thanked 2,706 Times in 1,041 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleKitty View Post
That's the nice thing about having terrible parents and in laws. I have absolutely zero guilt. I even sent my Dad a whole kit, ALONG WITH A LIST of things to buy. They gave away the kit. What am I supposed to do, send another to be discarded?

As I said it appears they are going to my stepsister's house if things get difficult so I will send my stepsister some things.
So many people think or believe they can get to their safe place; house of refuge or help when they need it. There maybe times you may not make it past a few blocks. What then?

We all know people who "cannot think things can ever get that bad". I know many myself. "The government will help us".

PK. I am very happy you have shaken off the guilt others have put on you. You don't have anything to apologize for..

I have done the same. One son won't help himself but; "He will be here hands out". His wife and his grown son deserve better. I will take "very good care of both of them". . My son "will need to work to earn his keep".
The Following User Says Thank You to BASS For This Useful Post:
Old 11-18-2019, 03:41 AM

It's your Mom and your the only Alpha Male in her life what are you gonna do? She gave you life too then cared for you and sad thing is we all get older my dad took his parents in when they couldn't anymore and I did the same thing watching both my parents pass away that's what we do we take care of our own at least I hope you are that compassionate because when its your time hope the hell you taught your kids right. My daughters and son already told me when I am to old they will take care of me/ wife.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 31ST MEUSOC For This Useful Post:
Old 11-18-2019, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 31ST MEUSOC View Post
It's your Mom and your the only Alpha Male in her life what are you gonna do? She gave you life too then cared for you and sad thing is we all get older my dad took his parents in when they couldn't anymore and I did the same thing watching both my parents pass away that's what we do we take care of our own at least I hope you are that compassionate because when its your time hope the hell you taught your kids right. My daughters and son already told me when I am to old they will take care of me/ wife.
The American Indians would have the older family members sleep by they doors so they got 'hit' first and giving the younger family members time to react. That's survival. The old and infirm go first so the young and fit can survive. That's just the way of things.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pyramid62 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-18-2019, 12:51 PM
Survivor

Thanked 45,147 Times in 13,212 Posts

Quote:
The American Indians would have the older family members sleep by they doors so they got 'hit' first and giving the younger family members time to react. That's survival. The old and infirm go first so the young and fit can survive. That's just the way of things.
Perspective is everything sometimes. What's the difference between the older person sleeping by the door because they want to make the sacrifice vs being forced to by people who consider her more expendable? A lot.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to merlinfire For This Useful Post:
Old 11-18-2019, 02:30 PM
This is a great survival forum

Thanked 15,831 Times in 8,399 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaBeeDaddy View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by puttster View Post
Correct. When the new hardcore prepper hero shoots a beggar and then -oops- the lights come back on.... So will the sheriff.
And after every disaster the media seeks to crucify those who did not help the "needy" or raised prices on essentials. Truth is, time and time again, people come together in an emergency and help each other out. Those who go full retard Rambo will be social pariahs or worse.

But every situation is different.
Happened in Katrina from memory.

Also there seems to be this assumption that all these preppers will just be running the show as soon as something happens.

I mean you wouldn't want to burn your bridges and then have your back go out or something.
Old 11-18-2019, 03:48 PM
Golfer

Thanked 2,413 Times in 1,370 Posts

Quote:

I told my wife that if her mom does not pay for some of our stores and she comes to our house, we are not feeding her. .
I was puzzled how anyone could turn away their own mother, but now I see ^^
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to puttster For This Useful Post:
Old 11-19-2019, 08:24 AM
SBs Resident Non Prepper

Thanked 8,776 Times in 3,374 Posts

Quote:
So you wonít be feeding your mother in law? I bet that will go over real good with your WIFE... if she listens to you or follows your ill advice. I d be surprised

So parents are supposed to watch over kids but not the other way around?
So when your parents get old and need help...you gonna just put a bullet in their head?
Talk is big on the Internet....but I seriously doubt you have the real balls to act on your BS.
Another reason I like SB...because there is always some member willing to try to feed everyone else a pile of ****.
The Following User Says Thank You to Goodwrench708 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-19-2019, 08:31 AM
SBs Resident Non Prepper

Thanked 8,776 Times in 3,374 Posts

Quote:
I noticed you didnít make mention of your mother.... is that because you still live in her basement? And she is already feeding you

Old and infirm go first? So the young and fit can survive? Lol. You are so foolish
Guess what you did when you woke up this morning?. You got older...lol
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Goodwrench708 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-19-2019, 08:45 AM
VIP Member

Thanked 2,073 Times in 572 Posts

Quote:
Lol...

That may be the way it was at night, but by day those young and fit members went off to fight and most likely died.

The old and infirm protect the young and fit so that they may grow even older.
It worked like that then and it works like that now.

There's a reason the old and infirm got to be old and infirm.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Cornly2 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-19-2019, 12:47 PM
VIP Member

As a footnote, you may have to establish some rules in order to keep the peace if your mother and the wife don't communicate very well. Just a thought I would keep in mind.
Old 11-19-2019, 09:03 PM
VIP Member

Quote:
Hey, I'm not doubting you as this sounds completely logical. Where did you hear/read this? I'd love to read more about true stories of the settlers and American Indians and how they lived.

In the past I have tried some Bing searches and did buy a couple of books printed about 100 years ago. One book was the writings of a teenage girl living on a homestead.

I know Laura Engles (sp) wrote a lot, but I have none of her writings.

Last edited by Fizbin; 11-19-2019 at 09:03 PM.. Reason: spelling
The Following User Says Thank You to Fizbin For This Useful Post:
Old 11-20-2019, 04:34 PM
Golfer

Thanked 2,413 Times in 1,370 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fizbin View Post
Where did you hear/read this? .
I think it was the movie "A Man Called Horse."
The Following User Says Thank You to puttster For This Useful Post:
Old 11-25-2019, 10:55 AM
I have control issues

Thanked 6,844 Times in 2,812 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Gardening Post or Thread 
Total Awards: 1

I wish I COULD get my mother to come here! She just turned 95, and that woman has more wisdom and knowledge than most folk have. I would welcome her with open arms, and do everything I could to take care of her.

We just went to celebrate her birthday (17 hour trip, one-way.) While there, my niece made the comment that if things got bad, they'd come to my place. Sure, as long as they bring my Mom with them! I could always put my niece and her family to work. At least they know enough about animals and gardening to be useful (and Mom has been teaching my niece how to can.) Bringing my Mom would be their "Price of admission."
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to IceFire For This Useful Post:
Old 11-27-2019, 09:17 PM

My mother is welcome under any conditions, I don't care if she just shows up with the clothes on her back. I would appreciate it if she would bring her pantry and the contents of her gun safe with her though. Mom has more food and is better armed than I am. I don't see that happening though since she lives 1800 miles away.
Old 11-28-2019, 05:23 PM
Wayfinder

My mother now lives with the Lord. I have relatives that openly mock me for prepping and say " I'll just come to your house". I answer "You'll make a good slave! I can feed you scraps and work you till you drop."