Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Water Shoes and Compression Stockings Jack Daniels Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum 14 10-27-2019 01:32 AM
STRAITS RED chapters 35-fini NW GUY Books, Movies & Stories 10 05-10-2018 09:31 PM
A Town Like This Mudwall Books, Movies & Stories 18 12-27-2017 06:50 PM
3 day solo backpacking in Algonquin - Father's Day 2017 OntarioBackwoods Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum 0 06-22-2017 11:08 PM

Old 10-21-2018, 07:19 PM
Suburban Legend

Thanked 105,049 Times in 15,578 Posts
Question The best shoes for standing all day

Advertise Here

It seems that I've always had jobs that require me to be on my feet and walking for most of the day. My shoes of choice for many years have been Rockport's Pro Walkers, but I think the quality isn't what it used to be.

So I'm looking for opinions on what's the best shoe for being on my feet all day. It probably doesn't help that I'm a big guy (6' 6"), and have a big foot (14 US). Of course, I'm not as young as I used to be either, but who is?

Any thoughts? I'm also considering an insert to go in existing shoes.
Quick reply to this message
Old 10-21-2018, 10:20 PM
French Prometheus unbound

Thanked 70,644 Times in 21,386 Posts

When I was younger and on my feet more I preferred a good leather boot. I was in a colder climate so they were insulated. They really gave great foot support. This is more important I think for bigger guys. Powerlifters tend to spend considerable effort getting good boots for the same reason. Tennis shoes can't possibly offer that kind of support.

In warmer climates, I guess I would try non-insulated boots and spend as much time finding the best socks. Kinda springy airy wool blend or something like that that don't provoke foot sweat.. some people wear a liner sock also.
To combat moisture, and alum crystal applied to the soles might help.

https://www.myworkwear.org/best-work-boots-standing/

Try several on and see what feels best and works best for your area.
The Following User Says Thank You to Justme11 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-21-2018, 10:24 PM
Freedom Freeloader

Get some good orthodics for whatever shoes or boots you wear.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TimBob For This Useful Post:
Old 10-21-2018, 10:28 PM
Prepared

Try the inserts, I've used them when the cushions and soles start to split and they really make a difference. My work destroys the soles on my shoes so every year or so I have to replace them. But they always split when I'm out of state, so I just go to the drug store and get the dr. scholls cut to size ones.
The Following User Says Thank You to zebra007 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-21-2018, 10:31 PM
This is a great survival forum

Thanked 15,831 Times in 8,399 Posts

I like keens. They seem to work ok.
Old 10-21-2018, 10:44 PM
not sure yet

Thanked 2,980 Times in 672 Posts

Don't get the inserts you can find at the grocery. A Podiatrist recommended trying SofSole or yoursole .com inserts. I have the Sof Sole (through Amazon) and they are awesome.

If you know what your arch is (low, neutral, high) the Sof Sole Fit is one I would recommend. I am on my feet a LOT and these insole/inserts have been worth far more than $40 they cost.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Keron For This Useful Post:
Old 10-21-2018, 11:24 PM
Hiker

I am on my feet all day long. A few years ago I bought a pair of Asics Gel-Nimbus. I haven't looked back. For work, that is all I wear now. I wear them out and buy a new pair.
The Following User Says Thank You to Sigma40 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-21-2018, 11:42 PM
I'm not a prepper

Thanked 2,955 Times in 833 Posts

My last job I walked an average of 7 miles a day on concrete in a 8hr shift. My feet were dying until I started wearing running shoes. I like the filas and asics I could get at Ross. They would last me about 6 months and only cost $20-25. Pretty good considering I started out with $20 shoes from walmart and they lasted 3 weeks until the edge of the sole collapsed and I was pretty much crippled. Some higher quality more expensive nikes might last longer but my shoes were so dirty and nasty after 6 months I would have tossed them either way.
The Following User Says Thank You to BFH For This Useful Post:
Old 10-22-2018, 11:43 AM
Freedom Freeloader

Spenco 3/4 length orthodics. I wear them in every shoe or boot I wear. They were recommended by my podiatrist.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TimBob For This Useful Post:
Old 10-22-2018, 02:02 PM
Indefatigable

Thanked 42,776 Times in 13,231 Posts

For women who might be reading -
I retired from nursing 15 years ago and worked in a optics lab and in a housekeeping job for a while after that. Through it all, I have worn professional duty shoes. Back then, I could afford $180 shoes, these days although I still spend a lot of time on my feet, that is not reasonable - or necessary.
In 2006 a friend still in nursing told me I had to try these shoes - I now have 8 pairs and have told countless others about them. My SIL who is an Anesthesiologist also has a pair in every color.
A description from the website "Natural Uniforms Ultra Lite Clogs are designed to provide all day comfort in a demanding workplace. The have a shock dispersion sole that will reduce leg and foot fatigue. This model has a heel strap which insures a secure fit. They are made of EVA foam which is resistant to bacteria and fungus. The high arch and molded footbed provide support. There is a removable inner sole and a slip-resistant, non-marking outersole."
For the price you need to try a pair, if nothing else, they make good house and garden shoes. They fit true to size and accommodate wide feet as well. The inner liner will need to be replaced long before the shoe wears out. A pair of mid-priced Dr. Scholls inserts and they are good as new.
Also, at age 58, I have no leg or foot pain, no circulation issues, spider veins or varicose veins because I wear heavy duty compression hose. Every. Day. They aren't as ugly as they used to be, but stick with a name brand (TED or Jobst) they wear the best.

https://www.allheart.com/natural-uniforms-womenaposs-ultralite-clog-with-heel-strap/p/nt9012/

You can often find the less popular colors of these shoes on Amazon for as little as 7.99
Old 10-24-2018, 10:11 PM
Survivor

Location: Outside the Moderate Damage Radius, over the mountain and far away.
Thanked 5,341 Times in 1,808 Posts

Rocky Alpha Force Duty Oxford or alternately the 8-inch Duty Boot, both with "green" Superfeet orthodics replacing the stock insoles.

https://www.rockyboots.com/rocky/men...E&currency=USD
Old 10-24-2018, 11:47 PM
Target Shooter

I don't have the answer for you, but when I waitressed, I wpuld go to look for my new shoes AFTER a shift at work...when my feet were swollen and achey. And the shoes that felt good THEN were what went home with me! And shoes usually only lasted me 3-4 months before I needed to replace them. When my legs and back started to ache....it was time. They'd still look fine....but I would have too many steps on them.

One thing that may help, too....running stores have machines which figure out how you stand/run/walk on your feet, and may give good info on which shoes would be best to try...if you plan on going with some sort of sneaker. My dh did this for his running, and they were great at matching his foot with the right kinds of shoes. I was impressed....and I kinda thought the whole thing was going to be hokey!

Good luck!
The Following User Says Thank You to JenFred For This Useful Post:
Old 10-25-2018, 08:11 PM
Hunter

Thanked 1,835 Times in 673 Posts

BELLEVILLE Tactical Research 8" Fat Maxx Maximalist Boot, Black

I wear these for work. I have arthritis in my lower back, hips and both knees. (5 total knee surgeries) These help. They are mildly ugly but extremely comfortable. I get about a year out of them. I walk 3-7 miles a day and at least half of that I am wearing a full duty belt and other gear (add 25lbs to my already overweight body). They even come in size 14.

No right answer for you here, just a suggestion. Best of luck to you. Before these I was going through boots every 5-6 months.
Old 10-27-2018, 10:14 PM
Hiker

Thanked 1,045 Times in 399 Posts

I've worn everything from combat boots to red ball sneakers, lately I've been having trouble with my feet. I tried this insert and that insole finally my wife talked me into going into a Skecher's shoe store, I now have 2 pair and love them! I've never had a more comfortable pair of shoes and yeas they have boots too!
Old 10-27-2018, 11:15 PM
Hunter

Thanked 1,702 Times in 793 Posts

I think the key is that all foot gear is designed for people of the same weight and height unless they are custom made. Manufacturers determine which size sells he most and then they design a shoe of that size. If you're feet are larger or smaller you get a shrunk or stretched version of the prototype shoe. If you're a large person with large feet, shoes made for an average person break down quickly so you have to err on the side of quality and hope to find a shoe that was developed to provide support and comfort for people who are generally larger.
Backpacking boots are designed to provide comfort, support and long life for people who are generally larger and carry large loads for several hours every day in very rough conditions. The best shoes I've ever worn by a long shot are Zamberlan backpacking boots. They are expensive but no matter what I'm doing my feet always feel like they are wrapped in comfort and support. From the time I put on my first pair I was hooked. They put a serious hole in your budget, but you only live once and I dare anyone who tries on a pair not to smile.
Old 11-11-2018, 11:49 AM
Third World'er Lunatic

Thanked 34,491 Times in 11,524 Posts

for the last year, timberland Pro logger boots. took a beating, and still going. the inserts they have made in em, take the load off on concrete floor walking/standing excellent tread for field/mud work.
The Following User Says Thank You to Goblin X For This Useful Post:
Old 11-24-2018, 05:30 PM

Oh, I know this one.

If anybody is still looking for answers, I can tell you that Josef Seibel makes extremely comfortable dress shoes for men and women who are required to stand all day in office attire. I have bad feet, and these shoes honestly make the difference in whether I can do my job or not. They often run $150 or more, but they are truly worth it.

Josef Seibel makes many styles, especially in women's shoes, so I want to point out that the shoes I'm recommending are closed-toe and low-heeled. I have attached (hopefully) photos of a man's shoe and a women's shoe from Josef Seibel as an example of the conservative and comfortable styles available.

Also I have found my shoes from Josef Seibel to last very well. I have several pairs that I have been wearing regularly for over 20 years, and which have seen me through many 16-hour days on my feet.

I will also second the running shoes suggestion that someone earlier said. Running shoes are the way to go for all-day standing. Don't ever get walking shoes for standing. If you can get away with wearing athletic shoes at work, then defintely give running shoes a try.

I personally don't find any footwear that feels better on me than good running shoes. Find out if your feet roll in, roll out, or are neutral then buy shoes for your situation. You can expect to pay at least $100 for a good pair. And yes, they are far superior to $40 tennis shoes.

Oh. And always buy a half size larger that usual for all-day standing. As long as you don't have to walk a great distance, the bigger shoes will not give you any trouble. In fact you will appreciate the extra room, especially as the day gets on.

I hope my life of trial and error, and achy feet, will serve to help someone out there.

M
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	81jfQbM43qL_1543095119852._UX395_.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	10.0 KB
ID:	280502   Click image for larger version

Name:	s-l300_1543095133686.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	7.9 KB
ID:	280504  
Old 11-24-2018, 05:36 PM
Prepared

Quote:
Originally Posted by dontbuypotteryfromme View Post
I like keens. They seem to work ok.
I second that, Keen are what I wear every day
Old 11-24-2018, 09:09 PM
I say I say

Thanked 1,410 Times in 532 Posts

I wear Keen Austin shoes and add blue super feet inserts...I am on my feet a lot as a mobile locksmith. This combo works great for me.
Old 11-24-2018, 10:13 PM

My biggest problem until I found a specialty online show store was finding shoes that fit 14-15 EEEE feet and have room for custom insoles.

For the fellow sasquatchs here I deal with XLfeet.com.

I got a pair of Avenger brand non-metaliic composite safety toe boots as off trail hikers and love them so far. Plus I've worn them out and about on tiled concrete floors with no serious back or foot pain.

Due to various maladies I'm always in some level of foot pain but these are the most comfortable safety toe shoes I've worn.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20181010_171916.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	98.4 KB
ID:	280518