Alaska old timer seeks food buying advice - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Disaster Preparedness General Discussion Anything Disaster Preparedness or Survival Related

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Old Timer Advice / Encouragement WYRambler General Discussion 5 06-21-2014 12:39 PM
Buying Land in Alaska thefemalesurvivalist Farming, Gardening & Homesteading 7 11-15-2013 01:31 PM
Buying some land in Alaska? Fermion Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 5 09-16-2012 09:59 PM
Need buying advice Getyershells Military Weapons Forum 1 02-06-2012 05:03 PM
Buying food or buying a firearm kev Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 71 02-05-2012 12:37 PM
Buying first gun, need advice please noob Firearms General Discussion 43 07-05-2011 06:13 AM
Fairbanks , Alaska. anyone got advice? Smuggsrat General Discussion 16 10-15-2010 12:59 PM
IL woman seeks advice 123Testing Firearms General Discussion 54 04-05-2009 10:31 PM
Alaska late august tent advice bonecutter6 General Discussion 10 06-13-2008 09:42 PM
Americans hoard food as industry seeks regs Wild Bill Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 6 04-25-2008 01:16 PM

Old 03-12-2013, 10:09 AM

Default Alaska old timer seeks food buying advice

Advertise Here

I have thought about storing some food Staples first. but wanted to spend around 2.000.00 in 1 purchase to save shipping ect . I wanted rice in five gallon buckets powdered spuds barley dried vegies for soup and plenty of soup starter any people that have bought a package deal or do it in piece meal like some? I have 2 maybe 3 places I want to store food as to not get wiped out in having food in 1 place as well as guns stored in 4 places. Kim
Quick reply to this message
Old 03-12-2013, 12:05 PM
Survivor

Make sure you really like rice before you buy that much. I'm still working on the same 5 POUND bag I bought in 2007. A light meal with rice for me is 1/4 cup rice, 2 cups water, 2-3 boullion cubes and a couple tablespoons of diced onions. If I want to make a dinner out of it I will add a can of chicken or roast beef. At MOST, I only eat rice 2-3 times per week.
The Following User Says Thank You to MaveRick- For This Useful Post:
Old 03-12-2013, 12:22 PM
Working on it

Thanked 1,827 Times in 913 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pale horse View Post
I have thought about storing some food Staples first. but wanted to spend around 2.000.00 in 1 purchase to save shipping ect . I wanted rice in five gallon buckets powdered spuds barley dried vegies for soup and plenty of soup starter any people that have bought a package deal or do it in piece meal like some? I have 2 maybe 3 places I want to store food as to not get wiped out in having food in 1 place as well as guns stored in 4 places. Kim
Hi Kim... I would order small quanitities at first and eat the samples to make sure you like them. Rice and potatoes should be fine but other freeze dried foods are best to sample. For that type of investment in one shot, you'd better be sure you like it

If you store it in 2 or 3 places, make sure you have enough variety at each location as well. Remember to get a lot of spices that you normally eat to avoid menu fatigue.

I just read through a website that someone else posted and I printed a good bit of info. Even tho I've been prepping for a while, I still found lots of interesting and useful info on this site. Beyond the main article, there are a ton of other links connected to it.

http://www.grandpappy.info/hfood1yr.htm
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Jenna For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-12-2013, 12:47 PM
Trapper

Kim, you can save lots of money by buying local and putting up yourself. It is not "rocket science". You can use most any container and just double bag the contents. You can Oxygen purge it in several ways or simply freeze it prior to putting it up. Just drop in an O2 absorber and seal one then the other. I use Argon to "fill" my buckets/barrels/etc. Old cake tins/popcorn cans/etc. make excellent rodent proof containers. I have gone to gallon jars sitting in plastic milk crates. Four sit snugly and stack tightly. That way I can easily see what is in them. Powdered milk, potatoes, rice, beans, peas, pastas, sugars, salt, pepper, cocoa, etc etc. go into them easily. Am getting out of putting grains into 55 gallon drums---too hard to move easily. Have gone to 20 gallon and 5 gallon barrels/buckets. You can buy grains at seed cleaners/farmers outlets/and farmers personally. Then all you need is a good grain mill to turn your bounty into flour/corn meal. Coffee beans can be kept this way also. Honey is a non perishable item that can be used "spoon for spoon" for sugar substitution.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to -06 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-12-2013, 12:54 PM
Peas and Carrots!

Thanked 132,109 Times in 31,035 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Member 
Total Awards: 1

I'm assuming when you refer to package deals you are talking about the big deals of several buckets of food staples. I've found when looking at those that any savings of a single point-and-click buy is negated by just a couple of buckets of food that we won't eat. For example, a lot of the big-bucket systems include TVP. We wouldn't eat that on a bet so right off the top that kills the cost savings. Many other times they will include buckets of mixes when it would be much more cost effective to store the ingredients themselves. Many mixes don't store well at all and with the basic ingredients you have much more leeway on what you cook.

If you order all of your stuff from just a couple or three places you can take advantage of the best price offerings and still keep shipping costs to a minimum. At least you could keep shipping costs to as much of a minimum as shipping to Alaska will allow.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mels thinkingitover For This Useful Post:
Old 03-12-2013, 01:08 PM

Thanks to all that posted and yes I know most of it is just common sense. In the back of my mind I have always thought the package deal where kind of a scam . Now reading here confirms it.I hate rice but love barley & millet I was born on a farm eating meat and spuds. I read about the post how to feed a family of 4 on 300.00 with 8 5 gallon buckets. I am going to start with this but add some other things I like other than rice I do like rice and milk &sugar in the morning or snack.Good luck to
The Following User Says Thank You to pale horse For This Useful Post:
Old 03-12-2013, 02:22 PM
Capability, not scenarios

Thanked 29,285 Times in 8,664 Posts

Given your food list, I think you'll find it difficult if not impossible to get it all in one place, and if you did, you'd overpay for it.

You'll have to break it down to several places; not as convenient, but you'll get more for your money and better quality.

There actually is an official survival guide, but you have to write it yourself - and edit it as the situation changes - and revise it as you learn from your mistakes - and start all over again when things change again. (AceScanner)
Old 03-12-2013, 06:30 PM
Survivor

Thanked 9,509 Times in 3,959 Posts

I would have to guess that somewhere in AK, the Mormons have established a food outlet .... if a Bishop's Warehouse is available, they sometimes allow non-members to buy ..... give your local LDS church a call for info .....
The Following User Says Thank You to Illini Warrior For This Useful Post:
Old 03-12-2013, 08:05 PM
Homesteader

Thanked 6,022 Times in 2,680 Posts

In Alaska because of the cold, you will need a supply of fats. Coconut oil or lard are both good. Include a couple of cases of Spam forr the protein and fat content. Honey was mentioned above. By all means get some.