New Ruger Mini 14 Target Rifle - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files


Notices

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Ruger Mini 14 for my SHTF rifle? Thumper74 Rifle Forum 743 12-15-2019 09:01 PM
Ruger Mini-14/Mini 30 Complete Referance Guide Cope's Distribuitng Cope's Distributing 0 02-16-2015 04:59 PM
TAPCO Intrafuse Mini-14/Mini-30 Rifle System (Black) Cope's Distribuitng Cope's Distributing 0 12-24-2014 03:31 PM
Ruger Mini-30 Rifle AllOutdoor.com AllOutdoor.com 0 03-27-2014 08:00 PM
Ruger Mini 30 or Mini 14? Jdudek Rifle Forum 30 11-21-2012 10:09 PM
Used Ruger Mini-14 .223 LE Trade-In Semi Auto Rifle. Very Good Condition $449 and up apps47inc For Sale 0 06-25-2012 09:55 PM
New Ruger 10/22 Takedown Rifle (Video) - Ideal Survival Rimfire Rifle - $299 apps47inc For Sale 4 03-29-2012 02:08 PM
Scoped Ruger Mark II target HondaRider710 Pistol and Revolver Forum 3 09-04-2011 11:49 PM
Alright, the AK 47 or the Ruger Mini 30 Ranch Rifle? JustADude Military Weapons Forum 77 03-30-2009 07:42 PM
Mini 14 target J&J Rifle Forum 0 01-07-2009 11:03 PM

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-02-2008, 11:20 PM
Pathfinder Pathfinder is offline
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 432
Thanks: 119
Thanked 350 Times in 161 Posts
Default New Ruger Mini 14 Target Rifle



Advertise Here

Guaranteed to 1 MOA @ 100 yards, so I figured it would be accurate enough for a mid range counter sniper type gun, and the .223 is a great caliber that isn't to big for the wife. The thing shoots very well, 500 rounds on Monday with no misfires. I used a combination of Winchester 62 gr., PMC 55 gr., Remington 75 gr. HP Match and Federal Lake City 62 gr. SS109. All fired without fail and the rifle seemed to like the Lake City stuff the best.





Last edited by Pathfinder; 07-03-2008 at 02:19 PM..
Quick reply to this message
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Pathfinder For This Useful Post:
Old 07-02-2008, 11:33 PM
spenceNC's Avatar
spenceNC spenceNC is offline
delta squad
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 423
Thanks: 88
Thanked 166 Times in 97 Posts
Default

That bad boy is a beast, So I guess you got 1 MOA right?
Quick reply to this message
Old 07-02-2008, 11:42 PM
Pathfinder Pathfinder is offline
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 432
Thanks: 119
Thanked 350 Times in 161 Posts
Default

I was hitting a silver dollar sized piece on the plate every shot after I dialed in the scope. I am pretty confidant that I could hit an index card at 200 yards withing two shots. Sorry, should have saved a target, will do it next time.
Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 07-02-2008, 11:46 PM
hanklet0 hanklet0 is offline
Trapper
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: north carolina
Posts: 798
Thanks: 413
Thanked 916 Times in 339 Posts
Default

What kind of optics do you have on it? What kind of MOA did YOU get out of it. How did you shoot? Sandbag? Vice? Let us know. I have been [email protected] these for about 3 months now. I can decide between this or a M1A scout.
Quick reply to this message
Old 07-03-2008, 12:02 AM
Pathfinder Pathfinder is offline
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 432
Thanks: 119
Thanked 350 Times in 161 Posts
Default

I shot best group of .094 (measured with Brown and Sharp Dial Caliper) at 100 yards. I fired 6 shot groups. Measurement was made with a Leupold LX II Laser Rangefinder. After the scope was dialed in I fired nothing less than .700 with all ammo. I brought that down to .500 with the tuning of the barrel which only requires a allen wrench to do. I was pleasantly surprised with the rifle, and while I have been in contact with a few of the machinists at Ruger for some time and they have told me that they were manufacturing these to a much tighter tolerance, I was stung once a few years ago by Ruger and their Mini 14 so I wasn't expecting the accuracy I got. All measured shots were off a sandbag in the prone position. I am thinking about putting a Harris Bipod on her as this will help I think. I did shoot some shouldered and the groups were very good, but didn't measure any of these. Optics is a Simmons 3 -9 X 40 Prohunter, I will be getting a bit better scope, just had this one around. As 1 inch at 100 yards is considered 1 MOA I think this rifle qualifies.

Short disclaimer: I have a bit more training in the art of shooting than most people. I wont go into details, but I am trained to make some long shots. Nuff said!

Last edited by Pathfinder; 07-03-2008 at 03:58 AM..
Quick reply to this message
Old 07-03-2008, 02:44 PM
nebguy nebguy is offline
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 1,827
Thanks: 59
Thanked 548 Times in 370 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pathfinder View Post
I shot best group of .094 (measured with Brown and Sharp Dial Caliper) at 100 yards. I fired 6 shot groups. Measurement was made with a Leupold LX II Laser Rangefinder. After the scope was dialed in I fired nothing less than .700 with all ammo. I brought that down to .500 with the tuning of the barrel which only requires a allen wrench to do. I was pleasantly surprised with the rifle, and while I have been in contact with a few of the machinists at Ruger for some time and they have told me that they were manufacturing these to a much tighter tolerance, I was stung once a few years ago by Ruger and their Mini 14 so I wasn't expecting the accuracy I got. All measured shots were off a sandbag in the prone position. I am thinking about putting a Harris Bipod on her as this will help I think. I did shoot some shouldered and the groups were very good, but didn't measure any of these. Optics is a Simmons 3 -9 X 40 Prohunter, I will be getting a bit better scope, just had this one around. As 1 inch at 100 yards is considered 1 MOA I think this rifle qualifies.

Short disclaimer: I have a bit more training in the art of shooting than most people. I wont go into details, but I am trained to make some long shots. Nuff said!


So on your first time out with your new rifle you came within .043 inches of setting a new heavy varmint benchrest record.
Quick reply to this message
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nebguy For This Useful Post:
Old 07-03-2008, 03:23 PM
Pathfinder Pathfinder is offline
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 432
Thanks: 119
Thanked 350 Times in 161 Posts
Default

I doubt it cause I didn't change the target out just measured the groups as I went center to center. But you never know, never cared much for shooting varmints. I have no real interest in shooting to prove anything, but I do know how to shoot very well having done it professionally in the Army.

You are of course way off on your records BTW. However, I am more than willing to get together and shoot for best groups. Just bring money so I can buy a new rifle when I am done cause I dont play for free.

Smallest Group
Class Group size Record Holder Shooting Range Date
Light Varmint 100m 2,89 mm Bo Peterson Fredriksberg 1994-05-08
Light Varmint 200m 6,23 mm Donald Andersson Brattvall 1999-07-16
Heavy Varmint 100m 1,35 mm Bo Leijon Brattvall 1995-07-22
Heavy Varmint 200m 4,58 mm Stefan Karlsson Oslo 1999
Heavy Varmint 300m 14,36 mm Lars Åström Lochteå 1994-04-24
Unlimited 500 60,00 mm Ulf Losung Sävar 2007-07-19
Sporter 100m 3,06 mm Bo Petersson Brattvall 2007-07-21
Sporter 200m 7,19 mm Ronny Karlsson Fredriksberg 1996-05-12
Jägarklass 100m 6,10 mm Kari Lindström Brattvall 1996-07-21
Jägarklass 200m 30,59 mm Michael Zachariasen Brattvall 2007-07-22

These are the Swedish records and they shoot for a 10 shot group. Never been that lucky on a 10 shot group yet. My group was with 3 shots.

Last edited by Pathfinder; 07-03-2008 at 03:37 PM..
Quick reply to this message
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Pathfinder For This Useful Post:
Old 07-03-2008, 05:07 PM
nebguy nebguy is offline
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 1,827
Thanks: 59
Thanked 548 Times in 370 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pathfinder View Post
I doubt it cause I didn't change the target out just measured the groups as I went center to center. But you never know, never cared much for shooting varmints. I have no real interest in shooting to prove anything, but I do know how to shoot very well having done it professionally in the Army.

You are of course way off on your records BTW. However, I am more than willing to get together and shoot for best groups. Just bring money so I can buy a new rifle when I am done cause I dont play for free.

Smallest Group
Class Group size Record Holder Shooting Range Date
Light Varmint 100m 2,89 mm Bo Peterson Fredriksberg 1994-05-08
Light Varmint 200m 6,23 mm Donald Andersson Brattvall 1999-07-16
Heavy Varmint 100m 1,35 mm Bo Leijon Brattvall 1995-07-22
Heavy Varmint 200m 4,58 mm Stefan Karlsson Oslo 1999
Heavy Varmint 300m 14,36 mm Lars Åström Lochteå 1994-04-24
Unlimited 500 60,00 mm Ulf Losung Sävar 2007-07-19
Sporter 100m 3,06 mm Bo Petersson Brattvall 2007-07-21
Sporter 200m 7,19 mm Ronny Karlsson Fredriksberg 1996-05-12
Jägarklass 100m 6,10 mm Kari Lindström Brattvall 1996-07-21
Jägarklass 200m 30,59 mm Michael Zachariasen Brattvall 2007-07-22

These are the Swedish records and they shoot for a 10 shot group. Never been that lucky on a 10 shot group yet. My group was with 3 shots.
I see. Your post above says it was a 6 shot group.

I dont think I'm too far off with the record I cited.
1.35 mm, heavy varmint class, that is .0531inches.
That of course is about varmint class, not about varmint hunting.

Subtract .053 from your .094 and lets see...you were a mere .041 inches from the record. If you coulda just shaved off .042 you'd be a sensation. And here I was calling for .043! .001 lashes with a wet noodle coming up.

The web site I took that record from used decimal fractions of an inch not mm so that may account for my being as you put it, "way off" by a thousandth of an inch.
Quick reply to this message
Old 07-03-2008, 05:14 PM
badkarma's Avatar
badkarma badkarma is offline
Aquaholic
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 4,906
Thanks: 1,673
Thanked 3,825 Times in 1,576 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Member 
Total Awards: 1
Default

i think he meant .94 inches
Quick reply to this message
Old 07-03-2008, 05:34 PM
Pathfinder Pathfinder is offline
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 432
Thanks: 119
Thanked 350 Times in 161 Posts
Default

I meant what I said, only that I didn't mean to infer it was a 6 shot group, I shot a number of 3 shot groups to see what kind of accuracy I could get. Thats the good thing about shooting for practice, no rules to follow and you can do whatever you want.

http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/n...g?t=1215120682

Actual distance was 84 yards and I have a number of targets. The best one I do not have, probably in the car or at the place it was shot. These targets are on a 8 1/2 x11 paper. I am a machinist so yes, .001 is a lot to me. I work in the +/- .0001 range often. Once again, center to center. I dont like to post what I shoot, as you should be more worried about what you shoot and less worried about what I shoot. I dont get in to the armchair QB mentality much. Like I said, I put my money where my mouth is if you want to shoot for groups I am more than willing. Maybe I should practice more than i do and get that .0431 out of there and make money on doing something I enjoy. Having built benchrest actions and having shot more than a few of them in my life I guess if I wanted to do that I could. Would i be great? Who knows. I did win a number of competitions in the military years ago for shooting a 7.62 X 51. It was my love of shooting and rifles that got me into being a Machinist and Gunsmith. With the BS rules the BATF have instituted I have went more into the custom knife forging as of late, but I tend to try to excel at everything I do. Can I hit a group like that every day? Probably not, but I can still out shoot just about anyone I know with a rifle, and I know a lot of people who make their living off of guns.

Last edited by Pathfinder; 07-03-2008 at 06:01 PM..
Quick reply to this message
Old 07-03-2008, 06:34 PM
steve5's Avatar
steve5 steve5 is offline
Trapper
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: in great U.S.A
Age: 33
Posts: 882
Thanks: 126
Thanked 944 Times in 393 Posts
Default

so back to the gun its verry nice makes me want to go out and get one. but back to the debate my daddy can woop your daddy>>>>>>>>>> hows those green beans and taters
Quick reply to this message
Old 07-03-2008, 09:08 PM
Pathfinder Pathfinder is offline
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 432
Thanks: 119
Thanked 350 Times in 161 Posts
Default

Nope, not messin with your Daddy :D Beans and taters are fine, want some!

You know, honestly I have been involved with combat a number of years. I like to learn and to perfect my skills. I had a very good Karate teacher tell me one time that I probably didn't need to worry about the grand champions or the grand masters, but that I should be aware of those old guys that dont seem like much and only train for their own satisfaction. I hope to reach that level one day, to train because of the desire to learn and perfect myself.
Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to Pathfinder For This Useful Post:
Old 07-03-2008, 09:18 PM
blue123's Avatar
blue123 blue123 is offline
VIP Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Nevada
Posts: 11,191
Thanks: 6,902
Thanked 12,214 Times in 5,177 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Thread 
Total Awards: 1
Default

nice rifle,i enjoyed your post,thanks...........
Quick reply to this message
Old 07-03-2008, 09:42 PM
ActionJackson's Avatar
ActionJackson ActionJackson is offline
Longing For True Liberty
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Southern Utah
Age: 59
Posts: 29,974
Thanks: 47,602
Thanked 55,367 Times in 19,108 Posts
Awards Showcase
Top Poster Top Poster 
Total Awards: 2
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pathfinder View Post
Guaranteed to 1 MOA @ 100 yards, so I figured it would be accurate enough for a mid range counter sniper type gun, and the .223 is a great caliber that isn't to big for the wife. The thing shoots very well, 500 rounds on Monday with no misfires. I used a combination of Winchester 62 gr., PMC 55 gr., Remington 75 gr. HP Match and Federal Lake City 62 gr. SS109. All fired without fail and the rifle seemed to like the Lake City stuff the best.




I owned a Mini for many years. It had the folding, composite stock but a Mini is a Mini. I really liked it. It was very accurate, lightweight, and durable. I stupidly sold it during my drinking and drugging days so that I could get drunker and higher. I've since quit that life style and have kicked myself ever since for letting my gem go. Anyway, I almost bought one the other day then changed my mind and got the AR-15 Smith & Wesson instead. I still have two, 30 rd mags for the Mini that I can no longer use. They are authentic Ruger if you're interested. Find out market value and I will sell them for half.
Quick reply to this message
Old 07-03-2008, 09:51 PM
nebguy nebguy is offline
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 1,827
Thanks: 59
Thanked 548 Times in 370 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pathfinder View Post
I meant what I said, only that I didn't mean to infer it was a 6 shot group, I shot a number of 3 shot groups to see what kind of accuracy I could get. Thats the good thing about shooting for practice, no rules to follow and you can do whatever you want.

http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/n...g?t=1215120682

Actual distance was 84 yards and I have a number of targets. The best one I do not have, probably in the car or at the place it was shot. These targets are on a 8 1/2 x11 paper. I am a machinist so yes, .001 is a lot to me. I work in the +/- .0001 range often. Once again, center to center. I dont like to post what I shoot, as you should be more worried about what you shoot and less worried about what I shoot. I dont get in to the armchair QB mentality much. Like I said, I put my money where my mouth is if you want to shoot for groups I am more than willing. Maybe I should practice more than i do and get that .0431 out of there and make money on doing something I enjoy. Having built benchrest actions and having shot more than a few of them in my life I guess if I wanted to do that I could. Would i be great? Who knows. I did win a number of competitions in the military years ago for shooting a 7.62 X 51. It was my love of shooting and rifles that got me into being a Machinist and Gunsmith. With the BS rules the BATF have instituted I have went more into the custom knife forging as of late, but I tend to try to excel at everything I do. Can I hit a group like that every day? Probably not, but I can still out shoot just about anyone I know with a rifle, and I know a lot of people who make their living off of guns.
Hell, I'm not worried about what you shoot, or what I do either. You posted your results and it looked interesting.

"shot best group of .094 (measured with Brown and Sharp Dial Caliper) at 100 yards. I fired 6 shot groups."

I thought that was remarkable, and asked about it.
Turns out it was three shots at 84 yards. Ok.

.001 can mean a lot to a machinist for sure. Can mean a lot to me as a chemist, too. It wasnt really me that was off, tho, I just quoted a source that gave the record in inches, same as you gave your results in inches..

Anyway, we got that straight I guess, so good luck with your new rifle. I'm sure it will serve you well. I was looking at those myself ,but I will stick with my rock river AR. They guarantee an inch or less, and turn out to be good for their word.

We will pass on the shooting contest.
Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to nebguy For This Useful Post:
Old 07-03-2008, 10:35 PM
FredLee FredLee is offline
Survivor
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: michigan
Posts: 4,090
Thanks: 128
Thanked 2,188 Times in 1,197 Posts
Default

What were the groups for each particular load? What is twist rate of the barrel?
Quick reply to this message
Old 07-04-2008, 12:08 AM
Pathfinder Pathfinder is offline
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 432
Thanks: 119
Thanked 350 Times in 161 Posts
Default

The rate of twist can be found online as well as others groups. I have learned that my firearms training is best kept personal and will continue to do just that. To bad really, I have so many to shoot but I guess I will continue to post results at Sniper Central as I have for the last few years. The guys there really help you to get the best out of your firearms.
Quick reply to this message
Old 07-05-2008, 08:15 PM
Milkman12114's Avatar
Milkman12114 Milkman12114 is offline
Bravo 36
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Parts Unknown
Posts: 372
Thanks: 83
Thanked 194 Times in 107 Posts
Default

I got a mini 14.. But it will not accept more than 5 round mag. I've tried other peoples big mags and doesn't work.
Quick reply to this message
Old 07-05-2008, 08:42 PM
Brother Buck Brother Buck is offline
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 7,224
Thanks: 1,675
Thanked 7,102 Times in 3,335 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milkman12114 View Post
I got a mini 14.. But it will not accept more than 5 round mag. I've tried other peoples big mags and doesn't work.
Something wrong with it then.
They take other mags....they just don't work with many other kinds consistently.
Try scoring some of Rugers own 20 round mags...they always work.


Speaking of....

Hey Pathfinder...what mags are those in your pick?
They look like the Thermold type.
How did they feed?
Quick reply to this message
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Brother Buck For This Useful Post:
Old 07-05-2008, 10:32 PM
Pathfinder Pathfinder is offline
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 432
Thanks: 119
Thanked 350 Times in 161 Posts
Default

Promag 30 round Polymer from Midway. I have a few for other Mini 14's and these seemed to work the best.
Quick reply to this message
Reply

Bookmarks



Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Survivalist Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Gender
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:54 AM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimisation provided by DragonByte SEO (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright © Kevin Felts 2006 - 2015,
Green theme by http://www.themesbydesign.net