Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
70 days in Alaska, no food... buck3m Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum 202 09-23-2018 02:01 AM
Sensible Survival Food Preparation sootch00 Food and water 9 10-15-2015 10:34 AM
Food preparation confiscation articles? Levant Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 224 02-02-2013 05:16 PM
$225. for 8 days of MH food worth it justincasesfo Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 41 01-23-2013 07:12 PM
Food Preparation "Wall Dried Meat" Hazeleyes Food and water 4 12-09-2012 06:20 PM
over 30 days food storage illegal onihawk1 Controversial News and Alternative Politics 63 09-17-2012 02:53 AM
New File Added: "Militia Cookbook" Emergency Food Preparation TcCoVeN Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 1 02-20-2012 12:40 AM
Bear minimum food to keep you going for 3 days? Flex Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 91 03-18-2011 09:23 PM
Couple lives(food) on $1 per day for 30 days meisje Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 16 12-14-2008 06:43 PM
New File Added: Emergency Food Preparation.pdf NightStalker Urban Survival 2 07-09-2008 10:40 PM

Old 08-08-2010, 05:06 PM

Default 6 days food preparation

Advertise Here

AM going canoe camping for a bout 6 days, wondering what to prepare in the way of food to bring along. I've used some of pre prepared dehydrated meals before but TBH, that's going to get expensive when going for a week.
Any ideas of things to take along or some DIY dehydrated meals I can do?
flour
egg powder
powdered milk
eggs
trail mix
fishing along the way but don't want to eat fish every day, fish soups
beef jerky
rice
pasta
spices, garlic powder, onions?
bannock made with above
berries
tinned meat/chilli
Quick reply to this message
Old 08-08-2010, 11:45 PM

Default canoe trip

Add real potatos, onions, carrots, and water purification tablets, trail mix, sweets, nuts, and the first night you could eat thawing frozen food, like steak, caned chicken, and beef (crush the cans and pack out or burn them), fruit drink mix, and stuff like that. Powered eggs, pancakes, jelly, peanut butter, breads, etc. If you brink a dutch oven, you can cook bread, cakes, stews,etc.
Old 08-09-2010, 02:53 PM
Walking methane refinery

Thanked 152,766 Times in 44,507 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Member 
Total Awards: 1

I like to carry biscuit mix. You can use it for a lot of things, from bannock to pancakes to dumplings in soup, to coating a fish for frying. Some dehydrated veggies and instant rice are nice to have too. Bullion cubes are handy also, as are your favorite spices, salt and pepper.

For a 6 day trip, I second tdkguy. Bring fresh potatoes, onions, etc.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-09-2010, 03:12 PM
Swampy McSwamp

Any natural resources in the area (thinking vegetative)?

On long deals like this, and packing just for me.. I make a loaf of dense bread, and i make jerky.. an individual bag of trail mix for each day (what ever size you will need for a day, and I like to separate this into daily servings so I stay on point with distribution). I also would bring potato flakes, and at least two powdered drink mix, single serving, packs for each day.

But honestly, for me, I would get the dehydrated meals, the ones that serve two, and buy 6 of them.. then just split one for each day, making two meals.. then use the rest of that stuff for in between.. that's just me though, I never have luck making my own field ready meals.. taste like ass.. lol.

I am also thinking about all of this as pack carry, so if you have a way of carrying more, then go for as much raw foods as possible (as mentioned above). Again, this is just me and I have more 3 day events under my belt than week long or more.. so, I cannot guarantee my answers as perfect for your situation.

Have fun!
The Following User Says Thank You to Swamp_Hiker For This Useful Post:
Old 08-10-2010, 12:31 PM
Hunter

Thanked 1,278 Times in 661 Posts

Try looking at this website.
http://www.trailcooking.com/

It should give you some ideas.
Old 08-10-2010, 01:47 PM
Surviving selling labor

The easiest way I've found to get a good selection is walk down the boxed foods aisle of your grocery store. Damn near everything in that aisle works great on the trail. Unless you will have a portage over 1/2 mile you really don't even need to pay attention to the weight. Weight will have little effect on your trail comfort.

Remember to distribute heavy camp items amongst everyone's packs. Having one 90lb "group camp pack" seems like a great way to organize until one capsize goes uglier than wet and you notice, upon righting the canoe, that it's one pack light.

I've spent a lot of time in a canoe, and judging from your post I think it safe to presume you haven't. Glad to see your heading out on the water. You'll enjoy it. Over the years I've put together a sort of Ten Commandments of Canoe-packing. A week or two before a trip I usually print it out and give a copy to any newbie going on the water with me. For what it's worth, here it is. I hope it helps you in some small way.

The Canoe-packing Commandments:
1) If a pack doesn't float it doesn't go in the boat.
2) Lash everything to thwarts
3) Wear sunscreen
4) Plan on the fish not cooperating
5) The big guy goes in the bow
6) Camp shoes & polarized lenses
7) Your back loves the Crazy Creek Canoe Chair
8) Trolling a deep runner lure creates a deceptively great amount of drag
9) You only have to move faster than the water
10) There is nothing wrong with fresh veggies
The Following User Says Thank You to iNGEN For This Useful Post:
Old 08-11-2010, 01:26 PM
Be Prepared

if you are going camping and you burn water just like i do the best recomendation would be bring someone with you that knows how to cook. i usually go in a group of 3 or 4 camping and thankfully one of the guys does it for a living so he knows what to do. the best thing is to let him plan the food and to keep him happy. you buy it!!
Old 08-11-2010, 02:26 PM
Jedi Prepper

try check out the new hamburg helper. They have small cup hamburger helper you just add boiling water to and they are awesome. They come in plastic bowls but to cut on weight and bulk just pore mix into baggies and use your cup or have a bowl with you to eat it out of. i love them. I also like the cup noodles just break them up at home and stick them in baggies to if need be. Last camp I went on I made the cup hamburger helper and made white rice mixed them up together it was awesome enough to eat at home. My self I wont take anything to cook that cant be just mixed with water. Although if your canoeing bring everything you can fit for food. I love to eat especially if I'm bored.
Old 08-11-2010, 02:49 PM
Hunter

I use a lot of drytech food and rice! In UK this summer I bought a lot of John West plastic bags with tuna!

They have 2 years expire date. For me, beeing a bigger guy, its plenty of protein to make me full. Add rice or nuddles and its all good! Best thing, they are LIGHT! 85 grams!

I guess in US you can get chicken aswell. Wasnt able to find that in UK. In Norway they only sell tuna in tins. A bit to heavy to drag in the mountains! Lately I also start bringing tobasco sauce! Its worth the weight!
Mashed potato mix is also good stuff! Fills you up even if you dont have proteins!
Old 08-11-2010, 02:52 PM
Believe in Yourself

Thanked 4,901 Times in 2,188 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by qwertyjjj View Post
AM going canoe camping for a bout 6 days, wondering what to prepare in the way of food to bring along. I've used some of pre prepared dehydrated meals before but TBH, that's going to get expensive when going for a week.
Any ideas of things to take along or some DIY dehydrated meals I can do?
flour
egg powder
powdered milk
eggs
trail mix
fishing along the way but don't want to eat fish every day, fish soups
beef jerky
rice
pasta
spices, garlic powder, onions?
bannock made with above
berries
tinned meat/chilli
Coconut oil
Peanut butter (makes a great sauce and addition to soups)
Powdered dried mushrooms
Powdered soup mixes
Rice
Dehydrated re-fried beans

Of the top of my head...

Info on local edibles to be sure
Old 08-11-2010, 04:30 PM

Most of the time the main food is easy to decide upon. Look at what other items are needed to prepare something and dont forget them. Powered milk for anything that needs milk. Some people will say that you don't need it and use water but the sauces will not be the same.

Lots of good advice above. Just go to the store and look at the items available.
Old 08-11-2010, 07:20 PM

take pemmican.