My Bug Out Bag - Page 2 - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Disaster Preparedness General Discussion Anything Disaster Preparedness or Survival Related

Advertise Here

Old 12-08-2014, 03:00 AM

Advertise Here

Knife sharpener is paramount. The real key is, can you carry it? As you said, and others, test it!!! Go out and survive. We all need different things to make it through the day. I'm kinda a minimalist. The most important things to me are a knife, fire, food and shelter. With the knife, I can get the other three. If I had a choice, I would take the wire to trap and fish with.

P.S. I use a Kershaw Military Knife, BA, cheap and effective. Granted mine spent the night in a fire and is ridiculously tempered due to my dumb @ss friend. Probably the best thing he ever did.
Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to Retribution For This Useful Post:
Old 12-08-2014, 09:31 AM
Proud American Patriot

Thanked 8,075 Times in 1,645 Posts

In a catastrophic bug-out situation any of us might end up in a refugee camp at some point, because the reality of such situations is not always what we might expect; you or a family member might be injured for example and that's your best bet for survival. Or you might want to go into such an area to resupply and then go back to your camp. I'm guessing areas like that probably don't allow those coming in to bear arms. I don't know if people are searched but I doubt it. I would make it a point to have my weapons well hidden in any case, either on me or out of but close to the area. Anyone here have any knowledge of people other than official guards like soldiers bearing arms in such areas? Be good to know what to expect.
Old 12-08-2014, 11:09 AM
Really Low Post Count

Couple thoughts:
Whats your plan? Are you thinking you may have to bug out of a populated area to a preset less dense area? Or are you planning to go Grizzly Adams and live off of nature? I have all kinds of stuff in my truck but my truck is not my BOB. Weigh your BOB with all your gear that you think you are going to try to walk with, then try hike about ten miles with it. Maybe along the path you plan to bug out along. Get used to seeing the lay of the land from afoot. Ounces equal pounds and pounds equal pain. Redundancy is great but reality is a Mother! Think Preposition. A good friend of mine hiked Rim to Rim of the Grand Canyon last year. We discussed his packing list. 80+ lbs, carried for 47 miles over 4 days. That is not long term survival gear and he didn't have a rifle or spare mags. That is just his pack. The more weight you carry the more calories you will need to consume. Come up with a workable plan, test your plan and your gear. Seek training that will support you plan. ie a mountain/desert/swamp (whatever your terrain) survival course, EMT training, a long range carbine course. The best bug out tool that you will have is your mind. Good luck.
Old 12-08-2014, 05:25 PM

I WHOLEHEARTEDLY agree... as I was reading this I got hung up on the Lifestraw, too. The Sawyer is AMAZING. I use my GHB (Get Home Bag) and my BOB periodically in the hiking areas around here. I use the Sawyer to refill my camelback and water sources as I walk along.
I keep a small .5ltr plastic water bottle and in the GHB and after drinking it (the sawyer attaches to it, my camelback, and just about everything) I fill it with river/stream water and then fill a small pot to cook some Top Ramen Noodles b/c the Sawyer can filter the water and not drawn through like a straw. I have even seen this at Wal-Mart for under $20 now. The Sawyer (when cleaned once you get home) is good for (published) 100,000 gallons of water too! It filters as well, is 10x cheaper, and more versatile than my dad's beloved Berkey Water Filtration System- oh, is only about 4" and weighs a couple oz!
This has enabled me to feel safer to reduce the amount of water I carry with me... GREATLY reducing the weight of my bag. This doesn't mean I don't keep a 1-2 2ltr's filled with water in my trunk- just in case, but, my GHB and BOB are more conscious of weight- After rucking 100lb ruck sacks in the mtns of Afgh, I have ZERO interest in doing that again- that's why I keep taking it with me on walks around the state parks and trails, just to always be thinking- "Is it ok to add more or do I need to take weight out?"
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 19D_TxCavScout For This Useful Post:
Old 12-08-2014, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19D_TxCavScout View Post
I WHOLEHEARTEDLY agree... as I was reading this I got hung up on the Lifestraw, too. The Sawyer is AMAZING. I use my GHB (Get Home Bag) and my BOB periodically in the hiking areas around here. I use the Sawyer to refill my camelback and water sources as I walk along.
I keep a small .5ltr plastic water bottle and in the GHB and after drinking it (the sawyer attaches to it, my camelback, and just about everything) I fill it with river/stream water and then fill a small pot to cook some Top Ramen Noodles b/c the Sawyer can filter the water and not drawn through like a straw. I have even seen this at Wal-Mart for under $20 now. The Sawyer (when cleaned once you get home) is good for (published) 100,000 gallons of water too! It filters as well, is 10x cheaper, and more versatile than my dad's beloved Berkey Water Filtration System- oh, is only about 4" and weighs a couple oz!
This has enabled me to feel safer to reduce the amount of water I carry with me... GREATLY reducing the weight of my bag. This doesn't mean I don't keep a 1-2 2ltr's filled with water in my trunk- just in case, but, my GHB and BOB are more conscious of weight- After rucking 100lb ruck sacks in the mtns of Afgh, I have ZERO interest in doing that again- that's why I keep taking it with me on walks around the state parks and trails, just to always be thinking- "Is it ok to add more or do I need to take weight out?"
Thanks, I am looking into a water filter now!
Old 12-09-2014, 10:27 PM

Here is my previous pack:Click image for larger version

Name:	20141209_202246.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	64.5 KB
ID:	93715

Click image for larger version

Name:	20141209_202251.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	50.9 KB
ID:	93716

My 5.11 Rush 72 arrived today and I am going to swap the bags when I have time. Some MOLLE pouches arrived as well which I will use for organization. Now I am working on getting the sawyer water filtration system. The tactical quiver should be here soon along with more Easton FMJ carbon arrows. I also am going to work on getting a hand saw and ditching the tomahawk for the BOB -Too much weight. It will remain in the Jeep with other emergency tools. The bag only weighs about 20 pounds without water. I'm hoping when I get the sawyer filter I won't have to be as reliant on my water constantly being full and adding weight. Though I would love always topping off water, it does add weight. Any further recommendations? I am adding nuts, tuna packets, hard candies, and some tea bags to the food.

-sorry if pics are sideways. I have no clue how to rotate them properly on my phone.
The Following User Says Thank You to JoshSelf For This Useful Post:
Old 12-10-2014, 02:19 PM

You guys with the light packs are lucky that you only have to plan for yourselves. I have several young children and have to pack for them. Just bought a new pack from Kifaru (EMRII) along with their chest rig. I won't list the entire contents (I still am short in several areas) but it has much of what everyone has listed. I went heavier on the food (about 15 freeze-dried packs of Mary Janes Farm, it's damn good and organic). I have a water filter and a 3 liter Camelbak but I need more canteens for the family. I carry a 9mm in the chest rig but not sure about what rifle to go with. Thinking about a Tavor since the length is so short for a non-NFA and non-folding rifle. Bit heavy though.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to robertparker For This Useful Post:
Old 12-10-2014, 02:31 PM
Survivor

Thanked 5,454 Times in 2,663 Posts

Can't the kids carry their own packs? You would have all the heavy gear and just make them carry their own personal items like sleeping materials, clothes, and maybe a little food. They don't need to carry guns and saws and cooking utensils.
The Following User Says Thank You to ninjasurvivor For This Useful Post:
Old 12-10-2014, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjasurvivor View Post
Can't the kids carry their own packs? You would have all the heavy gear and just make them carry their own personal items like sleeping materials, clothes, and maybe a little food. They don't need to carry guns and saws and cooking utensils.
Sure, but they are young as in 4, 5, and 7 years old.
Old 12-10-2014, 03:03 PM
Survivor

Thanked 5,454 Times in 2,663 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertparker View Post
Sure, but they are young as in 4, 5, and 7 years old.
The 5 and 7 should be able to handle it. The 4...maybe not, but they'll soon be 5 as the years progress. Who knows when/if they'll need to bug out. You may have some time to grow on so to speak.

The point being they have bodies which are capable of bearing weight and hauling gear, since you couldn't possibly be expected to encumber an entire family's-worth of gear and supplies.
Old 12-10-2014, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjasurvivor View Post
The 5 and 7 should be able to handle it. The 4...maybe not, but they'll soon be 5 as the years progress. Who knows when/if they'll need to bug out. You may have some time to grow on so to speak.

The point being they have bodies which are capable of bearing weight and hauling gear, since you couldn't possibly be expected to encumber an entire family's-worth of gear and supplies.
Very true. I have them carry their own little packs when we go hiking. They are all in much better shape than most kids (no junk food, all organic, and mostly paleo diet). But in a real disaster they could not be counted on to carry much and still hike at a reasonable pace. Plus the Kifaru pack I have is just outstanding on the way it distributes the weight, it makes 80 pounds feel like 60.
Old 12-10-2014, 11:01 PM
VA / NC

Thanked 20,745 Times in 7,683 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshSelf View Post
Here is my previous pack:Attachment 93715

Attachment 93716

My 5.11 Rush 72 arrived today and I am going to swap the bags when I have time. Some MOLLE pouches arrived as well which I will use for organization. Now I am working on getting the sawyer water filtration system. The tactical quiver should be here soon along with more Easton FMJ carbon arrows. I also am going to work on getting a hand saw and ditching the tomahawk for the BOB -Too much weight. It will remain in the Jeep with other emergency tools. The bag only weighs about 20 pounds without water. I'm hoping when I get the sawyer filter I won't have to be as reliant on my water constantly being full and adding weight. Though I would love always topping off water, it does add weight. Any further recommendations? I am adding nuts, tuna packets, hard candies, and some tea bags to the food.

-sorry if pics are sideways. I have no clue how to rotate them properly on my phone.
You will love the pack - have several of them. May want to fit with a hip belt to take some of the load off the shoulders.
The Following User Says Thank You to East Coast Woods For This Useful Post:
Old 12-11-2014, 12:06 AM
Prepared

Quote:
Originally Posted by East Coast Woods View Post
You will love the pack - have several of them. May want to fit with a hip belt to take some of the load off the shoulders.

Actually the Rush 72 has a waist belt. Not the best fitting but for EDC use it works. For long hikes I bought a military surplus waist belt that I'm modifying to use with the existing belt.
The Following User Says Thank You to StormWatch For This Useful Post: