Alkaline vs. older tech carbon batteries, leak/corrode - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Disaster Preparedness General Discussion Anything Disaster Preparedness or Survival Related

Advertise Here

Old 12-15-2019, 01:29 AM

Default Alkaline vs. older tech carbon batteries, leak/corrode

Advertise Here

I couple of times alkaline batteries I used for flashlights leaked/corroded when the flashlights were left in the car. This happened with D cell and AA cell batteries. Are the lower tech carbon batteries, which have been around forever, less likely to leak?

Are there any alkaline batteries in D cell that have a good reputation for not leaking?

As an aside, I left alkaline D cell batteries in the fridge by themselves. I think half of them leaked. I don't recall what brand they were.
Quick reply to this message
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to basketweave For This Useful Post:
Old 12-15-2019, 02:08 AM
Crap Creek Survivor

Thanked 3,898 Times in 1,014 Posts

To reduce the chances of leaking batteries:

Keep them in a cool place if possible.

Use name brands to reduce the risk of leaking during long-term use (cheapies have a greater leak risk).

NEVER store anything long-term with batteries in them, especially the rechargeable kind.

I've always kept my batteries out of seldom-used stuff until I am ready to use them, except for vehicle flashlights...I want them to be instantly available in times of trouble. I usually buy the name brand batteries for them, and off-brand batteries for less critical often-used devices.

Tweeting my published articles & news of upcoming books about self-reliance, survival gardening, primitive living, disaster preps & making hard times (almost) painless: https://twitter.com/GrizzlyeteAdams
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to GrizzlyetteAdams For This Useful Post:
Old 12-15-2019, 02:49 AM
Hunter

Thanked 3,028 Times in 1,199 Posts

Duracells leak all the time. I have had much better luck with Energizer.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to BrianWorf For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-15-2019, 03:40 AM
reluctant sinner

Thanked 26,599 Times in 9,522 Posts

I switched over to Eneloops in AA and AAA shortly after joining this site. None of them have went bad or leaked yet. I buy more every year.

70% of stored energy at 7 years and 2100 charge cycles for less $3 each. You are crazy to continue to buy throw away batteries IMHO. I bought a NiteCore I4 charger with the optional cigarette lighter cord so I can charge batteries in the car or with my solar panels. It can do lots of battery sizes and types.

I have some Tenergy D cells and some 18650 headlamps, they work in the I4 too.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to charliemeyer007 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-15-2019, 03:55 AM
Crap Creek Survivor

Thanked 3,898 Times in 1,014 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliemeyer007 View Post
I switched over to Eneloops in AA and AAA shortly after joining this site. None of them have went bad or leaked yet. I buy more every year.
Hmmm...At first I didn't realize what you were referring to, so I had to look, lol. Seven years is a good track record, for sure.

https://www.amazon.com/stores/page/2...mpaign=NR_PAID

On my shopping list now!

Tweeting my published articles & news of upcoming books about self-reliance, survival gardening, primitive living, disaster preps & making hard times (almost) painless: https://twitter.com/GrizzlyeteAdams
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GrizzlyetteAdams For This Useful Post:
Old 12-16-2019, 07:09 PM

Get rid of any alkaline batteries you have. They are old, suck, and leak. There are really only two that are worth having. Lithium primaries like Energizer L91, and Eneloops. The lithiums while more expensive than alkalines don't leak, are higher capacity, hold their charge and capacity better in harsher weather (too hot or too cold) and have a 20 year shelf life so they make great batteries for storing as back ups. The lithiums are what you should use if you wanna keep a light in your car because they handle temp changes better. Eneloops for what they are, are actually pretty cheap. They are still 1.5 volts so they will work in everything that already takes a AA/AAA battery, are rechargeable, don't leak, have good capacity, and a fully charged cell will still retain about 70% of it's charge after 5 or 10 years.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Blood Red Sandman For This Useful Post:
Old 12-16-2019, 07:15 PM
Bad Dog

Thanked 18,734 Times in 3,989 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianWorf View Post
I've had the same experience. Don't buy the copper top.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to HomeDefense For This Useful Post:
Old 12-16-2019, 07:52 PM
Hunter

Thanked 3,587 Times in 1,092 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeDefense View Post
I've had the same experience. Don't buy the copper top.
Or the industrial. I still have Energizers that have 80% cap well past the exp date, where Dura's were dead and/or leaked, still within or close to exp date.

Trying to switch over to Lion/Lipo. $$$$
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to saln For This Useful Post:
Old 12-17-2019, 07:51 AM
Hiker

I found rayovac leak terribly also. Where to buy lithium? In store they are super expensive and Amazon lots of reviews that they are fakes on there.
Old 12-17-2019, 07:55 AM
Hunter

Thanked 1,681 Times in 700 Posts

flashlights don't need alkaline batteries. the old carbon zinc were called "flashlight" batteries for a reason.
The Following User Says Thank You to gungatim For This Useful Post:
Old 12-17-2019, 08:35 AM
Hunter

Thanked 2,719 Times in 1,106 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by basketweave View Post
I couple of times alkaline batteries I used for flashlights leaked/corroded when the flashlights were left in the car. This happened with D cell and AA cell batteries. Are the lower tech carbon batteries, which have been around forever, less likely to leak?

Yes. Energizer Industrial (or Duracell Pro) only tested/approved for use in Scott SCBA (where a battery leak can destroy a $1000). And recommend change every 12m.

For others, check the package for country of origin and reject the made in chicomland batteries. Almost always going to be crap. Even the reputable brands have models made in China in addition to their US models.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to neiowa For This Useful Post:
Old 12-17-2019, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gungatim View Post
flashlights don't need alkaline batteries. the old carbon zinc were called "flashlight" batteries for a reason.

Are they less inclined to leak?
Old 12-17-2019, 12:23 PM
Hunter

Thanked 1,164 Times in 634 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blood Red Sandman View Post
Get rid of any alkaline batteries you have. They are old, suck, and leak. There are really only two that are worth having. Lithium primaries like Energizer L91, and Eneloops. The lithiums while more expensive than alkalines don't leak, are higher capacity, hold their charge and capacity better in harsher weather (too hot or too cold) and have a 20 year shelf life so they make great batteries for storing as back ups. The lithiums are what you should use if you wanna keep a light in your car because they handle temp changes better. Eneloops for what they are, are actually pretty cheap. They are still 1.5 volts so they will work in everything that already takes a AA/AAA battery, are rechargeable, don't leak, have good capacity, and a fully charged cell will still retain about 70% of it's charge after 5 or 10 years.
At least a 20 year shelf life.

IIRC, a slightly different chemistry but I have lithium CR123 batteries from 1983/4 (back then labeled just 123) that still work...will be interesting to see if they make it to 40 years...
Old 12-17-2019, 12:42 PM
Limited Tolerance Member

Thanked 12,640 Times in 3,627 Posts

`

For smaller batteries the Energizer Ultimate Lithium are very good. They don't make them in anything larger than AA, but you can find C's & D's in lithium but they are pretty spendy, you're probably better off going with rechargeables for those & you may want those for your AA & AAA applications too. For applications that use batt's like the CR123, CR2032 & other small batteries I think the lithium batt's are the way to go.

These 2032 Lithium Energizer batteries aren't the Ultimate Lithium, but at $.40/ea it's a pretty good deal. Even if you have several devices that use them, this batch should last you a long time. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01FMWDTDU/
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Chuckleberry For This Useful Post:
Old 12-20-2019, 01:12 AM
Retired kafir

Thanked 52,665 Times in 12,004 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianWorf View Post
I just threw away a brand new two-pack of C Energizers that leaked in their unopened package. They leak in flashlights, they leak in the package, they leak in TV remote controls.

They ALL leak.
The Following User Says Thank You to Lagnar For This Useful Post:
Old 12-20-2019, 01:25 AM
Retired kafir

Thanked 52,665 Times in 12,004 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by saln View Post
Trying to switch over to Lion/Lipo. $$$$
I modded some Sam's Club LED flashlights that used 3 AAA cells in that crappy plastic carrier that always falls apart. They now run fine (going on 3 years) on single Li-Ion 18650 cells that I salvaged from a bad laptop battery pack.

3.8 volts instead of 4.5, but the brightness is the same.

There are rechargeable 1.5 volt AA sized Li-Ion cells on Amazon. Some even have a micro USB charge port.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lagnar For This Useful Post:
Old 12-20-2019, 04:16 PM
Hunter

Thanked 2,719 Times in 1,106 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lagnar View Post
I just threw away a brand new two-pack of C Energizers that leaked in their unopened package. They leak in flashlights, they leak in the package, they leak in TV remote controls.

They ALL leak.
My observation is that C cells are the WORST of all battery sizes. Horrible things for useful life and leaking.
Old 12-20-2019, 04:49 PM
reluctant sinner

Thanked 26,599 Times in 9,522 Posts

This its the style I got charging my batteries with the car or solar panels as it has the optional 12 cig lighter cord. It takes a long time to do the two 18650 or Tenergy "D" cells compared to the AA and AAA stuff. It can do singles also just like the Eneloops charger, very handy with 3 cell headlamps.

https://www.amazon.com/NITECORE-batt...6878269&sr=8-3
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to charliemeyer007 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-22-2019, 10:27 AM
Survivor

Thanked 2,127 Times in 1,041 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by greif View Post
I found rayovac leak terribly.
I lost quite a few toys and flashlights due to leaking Rayovac batteries back in the late 1960s and 70s.
Old 12-22-2019, 10:56 AM

I seem to remember some kind of lawsuit against duracell as they were proven to leak all the time and rather than fix it duracell will replace the cost of the item that is destroyed by their batteries, not sure if they still do this.
I also remember that when duracell sold Nimh rechargeable's with a charger that would cook the batteries by never terminating when they were full, which really reduces the lifespan of the batteries.
I feel like they did this on purpose to make alkaline's look better as they make so much money on them compared to rechargeable's, as even the cheapest chargers going back years would do this so made no sense that duracell would knot "know" how to do this.

I would suggest Eneloops as well and get a good charger, i love my Powerex MH-C9000 for AA and AAA. I bought some AA's and AAA's with that charger in 2006 and they still work great although i think the AA's are down from 2000mah to something like 1700-1800mah but not bad for the time and they were just used normally without much worry or care.

I also have a NiteCore I4 charger which is great to charge lithium ion batteries as well.

I always keep meaning to buy a bunch of the energizer lithium's for long term storage but have not got round to it.
The Following User Says Thank You to Bob73 For This Useful Post: