Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here

Old 11-27-2019, 03:44 AM
Survivor

Thanked 2,241 Times in 1,199 Posts
Default 7 Days Without Power Story

Advertise Here

This is an interesting read. With Eskom here being so unreliable, we have to have our preps for power outages, but 7 days is indeed a long time to be without power and try to live a reasonable life. We do not have mains power at our BOL, (though we don't yet have a house, just a 12m container conversion) and I have stayed there up to 3 weeks at a time without problems and we only have 12 volt solar. But this story suggests that things will get bad within days of 'bugging in' if you live in town.

https://www.askaprepper.com/heres-wh...utm_medium=AAP
Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to drray777 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-27-2019, 07:47 AM
Trapper

Thanked 1,847 Times in 697 Posts

This was the event that propelled me from being a fairly accomplished hunter/fisher/forager to actively 'prepping': "The January 2009 North American ice storm was a major ice storm that impacted parts of Oklahoma, Arkansas, Missouri, Illinois, Indiana, Ohio, West Virginia, Tennessee, and Kentucky. The storm produced widespread power outages for over 2 million people due to heavy ice accumulation. The hardest hit areas were in Western Kentucky with over 500,000 residences without power during the height of the storm, including 100,000 without power for over one week, and northern Arkansas, with 300,000 residences without power. This ice storm killed 65 people nationwide, 35 in Kentucky." https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Januar...ican_ice_storm

I was without line power for 8 days but some people I knew were without power for more than 3 weeks.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Major Mjolnir For This Useful Post:
Old 11-27-2019, 07:56 AM
Para Bellum

Thanked 7,747 Times in 2,446 Posts

Yeah, it was a bitch of a storm that year.. 2-3 inches of ice on the trees. Took down power lines everywhere. We were still in town at that time, thank goodness for the wood stove, generator, and a few solar panels.

That is when I learned just how much of a calling card a genny is, and how many of my neighbors were unprepared. Moved our timetable up because of that.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TraderBob For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-27-2019, 08:20 AM
Hunter

Thanked 3,028 Times in 1,199 Posts

Nice early November day 25-30 years ago, sunny, no bad weather. Excavating crew hit a big high-pressure natural gas line that exploded right under big high-tension powerlines. 14 miles of towers came crashing down. My power was out 4 days. A friend nearby was out 10. That's when we both bought our first generators.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BrianWorf For This Useful Post:
Old 11-27-2019, 10:28 AM
Survivor

Thanked 24,673 Times in 9,492 Posts

Good read and a great example of what can happen when people get hungry.
The Following User Says Thank You to NCalHippie For This Useful Post:
Old 11-27-2019, 02:17 PM
Forward, into the fray!

Thanked 9,172 Times in 2,724 Posts

Practice makes perfect. We have a primitive cabin we have loved for years. When the kids were little we went there every chance we got. No electricity, no water, outhouse, etc. Kids spent days tubing on the river or hiking the mountain and forest. Cooking over a firepit outside or wood stove, clothes washing in a tub. Wind up lights and oil lamps. We finally got tired of going down to town for ice and rigged a solar cooler for food. In cold weather there was a very efficient woodstove. We did it as fun and learned the ropes. Just make sure you have all that's necessary for that life at home and power outages won't be a big deal.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BabyBlue For This Useful Post:
Old 11-28-2019, 09:56 AM

I read that yesterday. I have to say though, it reads like it was a made up story plagiarizing JD Young. Really? Driving off looters from your upstairs windows, and the next day everything is back to normal? There is also another story on there how someone lived for 18 months hiding out in the wilderness- reads like a made up story too.